PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on Leith

1two
08-02-2013, 08:12 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ngn3q
...could be worth a listen!

What does sunshine on Leith mean to you?

It's obviously always been about that Mercer period (although it wasn't written about that) but it now means much more. Its the Hibernian family song and unique to us.

I honestly don't know of a club with an anthem of such meaning.

HibeeN
08-02-2013, 08:47 AM
:agree: 'Family' sums it up for me. I'm too young for the Mercer stuff to have any real meaning, but that doesn't diminish the 'togetherness' feel of the song. My Dad lives down in England now and he came to visit over the Christmas period. It's been years since he was at a Hibs game so we went to the Celtic game together and to have him next to me singing Sunshine on Leith before the game just felt special (I normally go to games on my own since he moved to England.)

CIS Cup Final was a special moment for me too. The first (and only!) time I've seen Hibs lift a trophy, and meant a lot after being so gutted after the 2006 SC semi. The "my heart was broken / my tears are drying" lyrics seemed especially poignant that day.

I don't think there is anything else like it. A lot of people give YNWA as an example of a great anthem, but Sunshine on Leith just seems to me to be that little bit more special.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2013, 09:00 AM
It's up there with the best football anthems in the world. For sheer raw emotion when sung in numbers only YNWA at Anfield tops it in Britain imo, forget the Celtic copycat bandwagon.

lord bunberry
08-02-2013, 09:01 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ngn3q
...could be worth a listen!

What does sunshine on Leith mean to you?

It's obviously always been about that Mercer period (although it wasn't written about that) but it now means much more. Its the Hibernian family song and unique to us.

I honestly don't know of a club with an anthem of such meaning.

Its funny I don't associate the song with the mercer period at all really. For me the song has always reminded me of growing up in leith and being a hibs fan. For me its the best football anthem out there. I can barely watch the footage of the cis cup final without welling up

lyonhibs
08-02-2013, 09:19 AM
I think people tend to get a bit misty eyed about Sunshine on Leith. It's a great anthem, scarfs aloft at the end of the SC semi last year was awesome, but we do trot it out too often at ER.

Witness the difference between YNWA (at Liverpool, not the tawdry copycats at Sellick) which is - I think (??) played before every game and usually get a good rendition - and SOL when played before a game vs Kilmarnock/St Mirren etc.

Should be kept for games against Hearts and - at a stretch - Celtc as well as victorious (yes, they do occur....) Hampden cup excursions.

That said, I always used to have it on my iPod on the drunken walk home from a night out in Glasgow. GWR got a few unexpected renditions at 2am!!!

HibeeN
08-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I think people tend to get a bit misty eyed about Sunshine on Leith. It's a great anthem, scarfs aloft at the end of the SC semi last year was awesome, but we do trot it out too often at ER.

You'd need to take that up with James McPake. :greengrin According to the Hibs Announcer on twitter: "it is a request of the club captain that the players run out to this each game"

Heedersnvolleys
08-02-2013, 10:13 AM
:agree: (I normally go to games on my own since he moved to England.)

Never on your own at ER mate! :wink:

TrinityHibs
08-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Playing SOL at the end of the Hertz, Celtc and sheep games was excellent. Great way to leave ER.

Paisley Hibby
08-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Witness the difference between YNWA (at Liverpool, not the tawdry copycats at Sellick) which is - I think (??) played before every game and usually get a good rendition - and SOL when played before a game vs Kilmarnock/St Mirren etc.

Should be kept for games against Hearts and - at a stretch - Celtc as well as victorious (yes, they do occur....) Hampden cup excursions.

That said, I always used to have it on my iPod on the drunken walk home from a night out in Glasgow. GWR got a few unexpected renditions at 2am!!!

Funnily enough discussed this with mates at ER last Sunday and that was exactly our feeling too. I see another poster saying that James McPake has asked for it before each game. I hope he changes his mind then. My mates and I feel that we should have something much more upbeat for the team to come out. We also think that the ER atmosphere would be improved if s43 was moved to the bottom half of the FF but are probably in a minority on that too :greengrin.

Billychaotic182
08-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Was the song played at my Dads funeral so it will always remind me of my Dad. The lyrics "I'll thank him for his work, And your birth and my birth." Makes me think of him

IndieHibby
08-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Was the song played at my Dads funeral so it will always remind me of my Dad. The lyrics "I'll thank him for his work, And your birth and my birth." Makes me think of him

Ditto. Breaks my heart every time I hear it...

GlenrothesHibee
08-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Brings a lump to my throat every time i hear it. My mates who are fans of other clubs still mention the 2007 final rendition. Just an emotional song that us Hibbys can relate to

marinello59
08-02-2013, 12:55 PM
It's an emotional song when played at the right time, as a pre-match anthem it is an atmosphere killer.
Just switch the tannoy off five minutes before kick off and let the fans make a noise.

Hibercelona
08-02-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm sure the song will mean different things to different people. For me, it gives me a deep sense of hope. A hope that no matter how bad situations may seem sometimes, things can only change for the better.

WestEndHibee
08-02-2013, 01:11 PM
It's an emotional song when played at the right time, as a pre-match anthem it is an atmosphere killer.
Just switch the tannoy off five minutes before kick off and let the fans make a noise.

Obviously it gets the players up for the game though if McPake asked for it. The poor game quality is the atmosphere killer. Anything that can give the players a final push before a game works for me. I think we, as fans, need to embrace it more and belt it out as the players come out not have a discussion about whether it's suitable or not.

Elephant Stone
08-02-2013, 01:16 PM
As a song, I've always thought it a dirge. Too slow for me.
The majority of fans seem to join in at the 'While the chief' bit with the build up to it being painfully slow.

Much prefer the tempo of Glory Glory but appreciate it is too dated with the naming of the players.

Need more short sharp ditties that can be sung to keep the tempo high.

Couldn't disagree more!

I think it needs to be saved for the right moment but I'd rather that than the bass pumping audio feces that was blasted at half time at the Aberdeen game. Still fuming.

Hibby Bairn
08-02-2013, 01:25 PM
AEK :agree:

Sweet Left Peg
08-02-2013, 01:41 PM
As a song, I've always thought it a dirge. Too slow for me.
The majority of fans seem to join in at the 'While the chief' bit with the build up to it being painfully slow.

Much prefer the tempo of Glory Glory but appreciate it is too dated with the naming of the players.

Need more short sharp ditties that can be sung to keep the tempo high.

Would they be some of the greatest players this club has ever seen? Perhaps we could update it though. How about changing it to

"Soares, Thornhill, Keenan, Sodje, Oooohhh'Hanlon
We won't see again (thank ****)
But their memory
Lingers on.....
Gie the baw tae Zibi!!!!!!!!

Is that any better?

Persevere80
08-02-2013, 02:25 PM
My partners dads funeral, my first born boy in the hospital and the 2007 cis cup final.

Greendub
08-02-2013, 04:33 PM
I was talking to my bro a while back, and thought we should do something similar to some of the euro teams, when the announcer calls the first name we call the second, I think the line up should get a good cheer or clap but it seems to die out after about 5 players.

Should also get everyone lungs nice and warmed up for some inter game chanting :-)

On SOL I think it's the best anthem around today!

Apocalypso
08-02-2013, 04:56 PM
The Merricks have nothing to rival this song.

Up yi. :fenlon

Rory
08-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Love sol but have to agree we need a more upbeat song before kick off or switch the tannoy off and make some noise ourselves

chrisski33
08-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Booooooooo! Lol

Actually kinda agree with u. Think something else more upbeat should be played at the start like glory glory or Hibs Hereos and leave SOL til the end

Jonnyboy
08-02-2013, 07:24 PM

:agree:

Or, persuade the Procs to do an updated recording of Glory Glory, at a faster pace than the old version.

fit o' the walk
08-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Was the song played at my Dads funeral so it will always remind me of my Dad. The lyrics "I'll thank him for his work, And your birth and my birth." Makes me think of himKnow how you feel,it was the last song played at my ma's funeral,i think it is even more special if you are a Leither,like me and my Ma was.

Hibby Bairn
08-02-2013, 07:59 PM
:agree:

Or, persuade the Procs to do an updated recording of Glory Glory, at a faster pace than the old version.

Just like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgS-W2HGT64

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-02-2013, 09:05 PM
It's up there with the best football anthems in the world. For sheer raw emotion when sung in numbers only YNWA at Anfield tops it in Britain imo, forget the Celtic copycat bandwagon.

Would disagree with that only on the grounds that I have heard both on the tele and heard it sung at Anfield and to me they are just songs. SOL is different. The first few bars are all you need to hear to set the tingles going down your spine. Not ashamed to say that I once had to leave a bar in Chicago for a few minutes after being there with the work. One of the hosts put it on the jukebox to make us feel at home and to other blokes with me, including a Hun and Arab and a Killie fan it was a nice gesture, but I just filled up.

Leithenhibby
08-02-2013, 10:08 PM

Ditto. Breaks my heart every time I hear it...

Know how you feel,it was the last song played at my ma's funeral,i think it is even more special if you are a Leither,like me and my Ma was.

My Mum & Dad were both Leithers and also had this at my Dads funeral. I think of him every time I hear this song, non more so when we beat Killie 2007 and I was standing in the top tier with my young boys, he would have been very proud :aok:

Sweet Left Peg
09-02-2013, 10:17 AM
That may your new famous five but changing the names would only date the song quicker in this day and age.
Plus other people may prefer a different line up to your favourites so it could get messy.

At least you've agreed it is dated or you wouldn't have suggested updating it. I didnt suggest updating it, I merely pointed out it was dated but the tempo was more favourable to SOL in my opinion.

I don't want to change Glory Glory. It doesn't need updated. I just don't know why you would think it is outdated because it refers to some of the best players to have ever played for Hibs who happened to play 60 odd years ago. That shouldn't matter. It is a good song and I agree that the tempo lends itself well to a football song. However, SOL is a fantastic song and one which we are rightly proud of. The fact that it is in waltz time means that it is not one that would be spontaneously belted out from the stands, but when sung at the right time sends shivers down the spine and brings tears to eyes.

I am not a big fan of having it at every match. It should be kept special. I agree we should have some more upbeat stuff before the games. For a while, we had Teenage Kicks. That was good. How about having Lust For Life? Bit of a connection there...

And no, the players I mentioned before are not my "New Famous 5". Not now. Not ever. Perhaps we could compile a "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" Hibs elevens. They might sneak in somewhere there.

GGTTH

GlenrothesHibee
09-02-2013, 12:03 PM
As long as its belting out at Hampden at 5pm on the 26th May