PDA

View Full Version : John Robertson

greenteam
05-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Can anyone tell me the reason we didnt sign him????
Just interested, thats all?

JeMeSouviens
05-02-2013, 01:44 PM

Hibs chairman Tom Hart offered him a deal to sign there and then but Blobbo wanted to mull it over and talk to his brother first.

greenteam
05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Hibs chairman Tom Hart offered him a deal to sign there and then but Blobbo wanted to mull it over and talk to his brother first.

Ta m8.
Didnt his brother play for Hearts?
I know his dad died when he was 13 or 14...was he a hearts fan too?

bigwheel
05-02-2013, 01:51 PM

He's very old now , well overweight ...he'd barely make the bench ! 😃

LancsHibs
05-02-2013, 01:55 PM
He's very old now , well overweight ...he'd barely make the bench ! 

:faf::faf:too true

greenteam
05-02-2013, 02:01 PM

Lol,very good m8. Im just being nosey thats all? I hate not knowing things :aok:

Diclonius
05-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Was Robertson a Hibs fan or is this a myth?

The Sea-gull
05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Was Robertson a Hibs fan or is this a myth?

When this has come up before responses have included:-

"He played a lot of football so never supported a team"

"He was Hearts/Hibs (delete as appropriate) mad"

"He was a Hearts/Hibs (delete as appropriate) fan but wasn't an avid follower"

Have even seen it suggested he was a Rangers fan.

Only himself and those who knew him in his youth will know who he really followed.

Kenny1875
05-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I know at least one of his sons is a Hibs fan and I'm pretty sure the others are too which seems strage considering he is a Hearts legend, so I could only assume he is a Hibs fan.

Scouse Hibee
05-02-2013, 02:59 PM
I know at least one of his sons is a Hibs fan and I'm pretty sure the others are too which seems strage considering he is a Hearts legend, so I could only assume he is a Hibs fan.

Saw a picture on facebook recently of one them and he's a jambo.

Killiehibbie
05-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Ta m8.
I know his dad died when he was 13 or 14...was he a hearts fan too?His brother played for Rangers, Hearts and Meadowbank. I know guys who know the wee fat one and they assured me he was a Hibbie when he was young.

Kenny1875
05-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Saw a picture on facebook recently of one them and he's a jambo.

That puts an end to my theory then haha. Still strange that at least one is a Hibs fan. Maybe he's a bit contrary.

greenteam
05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
thanks for your help lads...still dont know, but all info is welcome :thumbsup:

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-02-2013, 03:46 PM
There is a photo of him somewhere in a Hibs top (strip) in Turnbulls office, it was Robertson's Dad who turned down the move and the yaks snapped him up

And from talking to people who know he was a Hibby, and has been seen several times going in to the Hibs shop.

hungryhibs
05-02-2013, 03:55 PM
he is a hibs fan so is his brother he drinks in my local am sure he told me that hibs offerd him a contract then am sure he said something about his height as well been to a couple of smokers breakfast not a bad guy apert from playing for that mob

Thecat23
05-02-2013, 04:00 PM
I asked him after a Hibs v Hearts game at ER few years ago if he supported Hibs as a boy and was scared to admit it in case the yams took offence. There was a few ex pros round the table at the time and they sort of laughed. I said so that's a yes then? He just grinned and said those were you're words not mine. He defo supported the green half of the city when he was younger.

Diclonius
05-02-2013, 04:06 PM
There is a photo of him somewhere in a Hibs top (strip) in Turnbulls office, it was Robertson's Dad who turned down the move and the yaks snapped him up

And from talking to people who know he was a Hibby, and has been seen several times going in to the Hibs shop.

So he's still a fan of us then? Or is he one of those people who claims to support both Hibs and Hearts. :shocked:

East Coast Hibe
05-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I asked him after a Hibs v Hearts game at ER few years ago if he supported Hibs as a boy and was scared to admit it in case the yams took offence. There was a few ex pros round the table at the time and they sort of laughed. I said so that's a yes then? He just grinned and said those were you're words not mine. He defo supported the green half of the city when he was younger.

He was 100% a Hibee.

Went to Parsons green Primary and I was in his year at Porty High School. I also played with him at Edina Hibs when we were 14/15 and he was a hibee. Now his mate Dave Bowman was always a Yam !

superfurryhibby
05-02-2013, 04:07 PM

He has acknowledged that his family supported Hibs. He was also quite prominent in the Hands Off HIbs, I thought that took some baws, it was a right two fingers to FTB.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
So he's still a fan of us then? Or is he one of those people who claims to support both Hibs and Hearts. :shocked:

As stated by others his laddie is one of your own...:wink: so i would imagine he was buying him something, maybe the 0-7 DVD..:greengrin

Thecat23
05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
He has acknowledged that his family supported Hibs. He was also quite prominent in the Hands Off HIbs, I thought that took some baws, it was a right two fingers to FTB.

Yeah I remember that now mate.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-02-2013, 04:11 PM

He got a standing ovation at the HOH rally at the Usher Hall when he came up to speak and he was pretty choked up by it.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Lol,very good m8. Im just being nosey thats all? I hate not knowing things :aok:

Then if you could pass on what you hear from Alex Miller when he tells you about his explaination for his part in his derby record ....

AlbertK86
05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
He wanted to sign but his Dad said no as he thought he could get a better deal and wanted to mull over as previously mentioned. Tom Hart told him sign today or the deal is off.

Robbo walked out and was never offered again

Wee fat barrel !!

bigwheel
05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Did we not also try to sign him in 98 when we got relegated ...he went to Livi instead ...

The Harp
05-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Irrespective of who he supported as a kid, the fact that he stood up for us in our darkest hour, against his employer, says it all for me.
Top man ... (hurts me to say it though).:rolleyes:

JohnStephens91
05-02-2013, 07:05 PM
I've been told that he was a Hibs fan by people who know him, but through years of playing for Hearts he seems to have become more of a Hearts man. He still wants us to win the Scottish Cup soon though, so there is hope for him left. He is like Darth Vader, still has his shot at redemption.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Medical showed that he was a wee fat roaster.

jane_says
05-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Went to school with one of them and no doubt he (was anyway) a died in the wool jambo

Bostonhibby
05-02-2013, 08:30 PM
His brother played for Rangers, Hearts and Meadowbank. I know guys who know the wee fat one and they assured me he was a Hibbie when he was young.

:agree:Was in the same secondary school team as my brother, along with Davie Bowman, JR was a Hibby then.

jdships
05-02-2013, 08:43 PM
The story as I remember it was that Ned Turnbull discussed his signing . It ran on for a few days without his putting pen to paper and Tom Hart gave JR 24 hour ultimatum to sign .
He didn't and the rest is history
That is not an official version only what came from players at ER at the time

:greengrin

Black Kyle
05-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Remember him at a forum in the Hibs Club saying he used to go to ER with a Pat Stanton crash helmet. Memories.........

lord bunberry
05-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Whatever he was when he was younger I don't know but he is one of them now

TornadoHibby
05-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Ta m8.

Chris played for Rangers pretty much from school (portobello high) as he had been on S form for a few years and played for Scotland u/15 then u/18 in successive years (1972-1974 ish) iirc. Only played around 20 matches for the 1st team and was released after missing a great headed chance to win an Old Firm match hitting the bar instead of the back of the net again iirc!

His older brother, George, was a very good player but never got out of Junior football, playing for Dalkeith Utd most notably iirc.

John was just a kid at that time but was a Hibby as was his Dad and had they accepted the deal offered to them, who knows whether that "22 in a row" or whatever it was would ever have happened!

Whole family was football mad and good company!

Hibercelona
06-02-2013, 01:04 PM
John Robertson was a Hibs fans as a kid, he was even a season ticket holder.

Although a Hearts legend, I wouldn't say he was an out and out jambo. He come's across as fairly neutral when talking about Hibs and Hearts. I think he likes to see both clubs do well, so fair play to him.

Russell The Dug
06-02-2013, 01:42 PM
His Brother George is a massive massive hibee. See him for a pint down Mussie now are again.

Peevemor
06-02-2013, 11:08 PM
His Brother George is a massive massive hibee. See him for a pint down Mussie now are again.

Is he the one that worked for S&N and drank in the Tartan Club?

MSK
07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Is he the one that worked for S&N and drank in the Tartan Club?Aye ..now known as the "Pub Poet" ..recently in the press for penning a poem for Alex Salmond & independance ...can be seen most weeks in the Radical Road boozer (former Right Wing)...:agree:

Hibrandenburg
07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Knew him through work about the time he was offered a contract at Hearts. To say he was having a major conflict within himself whether to sign or not is puting it mildly.

Defo Hibs fan at that time but god knows what emotions for us he now has.

Hillsidehibby
07-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Aye ..now known as the "Pub Poet" ..recently in the press for penning a poem for Alex Salmond & independance ...can be seen most weeks in the Radical Road boozer (former Right Wing)...:agree:

Try every day!!

I remember John playing football up the park as a wee laddie with a Rangers strip on. I imagine as his brother Chris was playing for them at the time. George also confirms he was a Hibby as a wee lad.

One thing always puzzled me was if he really was why did he celebrate the way he did when he scored against us?

bruno
07-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Try every day!!

I remember John playing football up the park as a wee laddie with a Rangers strip on. I imagine as his brother Chris was playing for them at the time. George also confirms he was a Hibby as a wee lad.

One thing always puzzled me was if he really was why did he celebrate the way he did when he scored against us?

I think it was his way of saying I told you so. From chatting to him at a supporters event he said hibs were trying to push him but wanted time to make up his mind. His brother chris played for Hearts and I think they played together but only on one or two occasions. He did say he had supported hibs as a youngster but didn't go to many matches as he was always playing. Don't know him personally just through one conversation and although his team now is hearts he still has feelings for hibs but more their supporters than the team itself if that makes sense as he has friends as well as relatives who support Hibs in fact I think one of his sons does.

clerriehibs
07-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Obviouslyy it's nurture then that makes him sound such a tw@t on his radio commentaries, because he's indistinguishable from any other yam plum. No self-respecting hibby would ever sound like that.

oldbutdim
07-02-2013, 11:37 PM

Too old and fat probably.

Ta m8.

That scotches the rumours that Robbo was a Hibby then.
If his dad popped his clogs at 13 or 14, then I'm assuming his mother was about the same age when she sprogged Robbo.
Quite clearly he's not a Hibby.
Hun or diet hun going on the above evidence.

Gerard
08-02-2013, 12:16 AM

probably break the bench:devil:

.Sean.
08-02-2013, 04:16 AM
What are folks genuine opinions on Robertson? The takeover was before my time but my old man says although he banged in goal after goal against us, he can't bring himself to hate Robertson in the same way he hates Locke/ Mackay because he stood against the FTB when he didn't need to. Is he the last of his kind, in that he's loved by one side of the divide (H*****) but the opposite side begrugingly (sp) respect him? I'm sure he has Hibs leanings, I remember him saying so when he was in the running for the job before Mowbray was appointed?

It's not often I listen to him but he seems fair when it comes to Hibs as oppossed to Preston and his cronies.

(He's still a Hearts **** in my eyes though :biggrin: )

Pete
08-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Robbo done a job for Hearts. He might consider himself a jambo now but that's up to him.

No died in the wool jambo I know would let their son support Hibs. I think Robbo knows the score deep down!:thumbsup:

hibees 7062
08-02-2013, 08:23 PM
His brother played for Rangers, Hearts and Meadowbank. I know guys who know the wee fat one and they assured me he was a Hibbie when he was young.

:agree:

Apocalypso
08-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Hertz ****. **** him.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-02-2013, 09:06 PM
probably break the bench:devil:

Frank Dougan managed to do that to his seat at the game in Daugavpils, most amusing!

stoneyburn hibs
08-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Obviouslyy it's nurture then that makes him sound such a tw@t on his radio commentaries, because he's indistinguishable from any other yam plum. No self-respecting hibby would ever sound like that.

Aye thats my thoughts. Canny stand Robertson . Preston and him sound like the same person on radio and if he really was/is a hibee , he would say it. Yam endof.

Orourke73
08-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Too old and fat probably.

That scotches the rumours that Robbo was a Hibby then.
If his dad popped his clogs at 13 or 14, then I'm assuming his mother was about the same age when she sprogged Robbo.
Quite clearly he's not a Hibby.
Hun or diet hun going on the above evidence.

Like him or loathe him, that is pretty much the most disrespectful post i've had the displeasure to read on here. Robbo is from a big family, most of whom are hibs fanatics. to talk about his parents in that tone is frankly yammish.

LeighLoyal
08-02-2013, 11:54 PM
I knew a guy who played with him in youth football and he swears Robbo was mince, the fat wee jakey.

danhibees1875
09-02-2013, 12:10 AM
First I've heard of him standing up against Mercer. Kudos to him for that. :agree:

I knew a guy who played with him in youth football and he swears Robbo was mince, the fat wee jakey.

I think there may be evidence to the contrary. :greengrin

TrickyNicky
09-02-2013, 02:59 AM

Are you pals whae Zico by chance?

ibrahimotitch
09-02-2013, 05:07 AM

Could always replace Kuqi? :dunno:

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Like him or loathe him, that is pretty much the most disrespectful post i've had the displeasure to read on here. Robbo is from a big family, most of whom are hibs fanatics. to talk about his parents in that tone is frankly yammish.

One of the funniest I've read, nothing disrespectful at all he simply made a play on the words in the previous post which was pretty funny and made me chuckle.

ekhibee
09-02-2013, 05:26 PM
The story as I remember it was that Ned Turnbull discussed his signing . It ran on for a few days without his putting pen to paper and Tom Hart gave JR 24 hour ultimatum to sign .
He didn't and the rest is history
That is not an official version only what came from players at ER at the time

:greengrinThat sounds quite similar to what happened with Strachan, who definitely was a Hibs fan. He had been training with Hibs, but his dad and Turnbull fell out over boot money and Strachan left to sign for Dundee. Strachan did eventually get to play for Hibs when he scored the winner (a penalty) in a testimonial for Gordon Hunter. He played for Coventry first half, second half Hibs, Hibs won 3-2.

inglisavhibs
09-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Aye thats my thoughts. Canny stand Robertson . Preston and him sound like the same person on radio and if he really was/is a hibee , he would say it. Yam endof.

Preston was a Rangers fan as a youngster. Made up Jambo.

Killiehibbie
10-02-2013, 09:52 AM
What are folks genuine opinions on Robertson? The takeover was before my time but my old man says although he banged in goal after goal against us, he can't bring himself to hate Robertson in the same way he hates Locke/ Mackay because he stood against the FTB when he didn't need to. Is he the last of his kind, in that he's loved by one side of the divide (H*****) but the opposite side begrugingly (sp) respect him? I'm sure he has Hibs leanings, I remember him saying so when he was in the running for the job before Mowbray was appointed?

It's not often I listen to him but he seems fair when it comes to Hibs as oppossed to Preston and his cronies.

(He's still a Hearts **** in my eyes though :biggrin: )A professional paid to do a job. A shame for us that he done it rather too well against the team he supported.