PDA

View Full Version : McLeish out of Forest

Part/Time Supporter
05-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Gone after 40 days

http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/article/nffc-alex-mcleish-part-company-639565.aspx

This morning Nottingham Forest and Alex McLeish have mutually agreed to part company.

Chairman Fawaz Al-Hasawi said: “I’m bitterly disappointed – as is Alex – that it has not worked out as we had hoped when he became our manager and I would like to put on record my thanks for his services to the Club and wish him every success in the future.”

McLeish said: “I am extremely saddened to be leaving after such a short period but even so it has been a privilege to be manager of such a fantastic football club and I want to thank the players, staff and fans for their support and wish Nottingham Forest the best of fortunes ahead.

“Both parties entered into the relationship in good faith, however, there was a difference in the understanding of the development strategy of the football club and it was felt by both parties that we should part company”.

The Club will be making no further comment.

:faf:

Captain Trips
05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
I think this will be due to George Boyd issue, I assume AM walked over it.

JimBHibees
05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Wow. Actually thought he was an odd fit with that club for some reason, bet they wish they had kept hold of O'Driscoll.

The fall out over the George Boyd transfer seemed very odd.

Billy Whizz
05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
I think this will be due to George Boyd issue, I assume AM walked over it.

And quite rightly as well. Think we may have another Blackburn Rovers on our hands, with the behaviour of the Forest board. Chairman seems to be a bit of an idiot.

dangermouse
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Bring back Billy Davies and get this club back where it belongs, winning the Champions League.

SaulGoodman
05-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Fenlon out, Mcleish in.

MB62
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Gone after 40 days

http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/article/nffc-alex-mcleish-part-company-639565.aspx

:faf:

A big thanks to Forrest for employing Alex at a time when he might just have been in the running for Scotland manager, we had a lucky escape there.

jdships
05-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Wow. Actually thought he was an odd fit with that club for some reason, bet they wish they had kept hold of O'Driscoll.

The fall out over the George Boyd transfer seemed very odd.

More or less my thoughts too !!

Pretty Boy
05-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Shambles of a club just now.

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2013, 11:30 AM
My deepest sympathies to the next club he gets.

Beefster
05-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Forest are now one of those clubs that I'd love to see get worse and worse.

Stevie Reid
05-02-2013, 11:50 AM
I wonder how many managers have actually managed in the Championship this year - many clubs have changed manager, a few more than twice.

WindyMiller
05-02-2013, 11:55 AM
A good reminder to us that a "rich" owner isn't always the answer.

Fergus52
05-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Fenlon out, Mcleish in.

Was hoping no-one had posted that yet.

Guess i was too late :greengrin

silverhibee
05-02-2013, 12:14 PM
A good reminder to us that a "rich" owner isn't always the answer.

When did STF become poor. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
My deepest sympathies to the next club he gets.

Why so much hatred for McLeish. I know he left us for Rangers, but he brought us Sauzee and Latapy

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Are you for real?

MB62
05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Why so much hatred for McLeish. I know he left us for Rangers, but he brought us Sauzee and Latapy

Don't hate Alex at all, actually quite like him, always a gent anytime I ever spoke to him, but I just don't rate him as a manager.

LeighLoyal
05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I didn't like the guy at deidco, but cest la vie all water under the EBT bridge.

Wilson
05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Couldn't have happened to a ginger-er judas....

GlenrothesHibee
05-02-2013, 12:32 PM

I agree. If it was because he left Hibs for Rangers thats just silly. He gave us a fantastic team. Does anyone remember 6-2?

micka_weer
05-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Wonder if his 40 day saga will be made into a book then hit the big screen a la Brian Clough? :-)

Billy Whizz
05-02-2013, 12:48 PM
I agree. If it was because he left Hibs for Rangers thats just silly. He gave us a fantastic team. Does anyone remember 6-2?

0-3 at the millenium derby

Billy Whizz
05-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Are you for real?

Yup real

Beefster
05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Are you for real?

He left us for another team (over a decade ago) - just like loads of other managers and players do. Anyone that actually believed him when he said he was at Hibs as long as we wanted him shouldn't really be allowed outside on their own.

Springbank
05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I liked MacLeish at ER and he did a lot of unsung work that was way above and beyond the call of duty.

2 things stuck out for me. I was running a 5 a side tourney for the homeless at meadowbank which MacLeish and Jeffries both attended. It was in the week between beating rangers 1-0 and hearts 6-2. MacLeish was brilliant and he even predicted a demolition (albeit in jokey tones) telling jj to be afraid as the team were on fire that moment.

Second was - a year earlier - my great aunt (a well known hibee called Maud) was in a coma following a hit n run accident. Big Eck and Russell Latapy both visited her during the coma to talk to her and pass on their best.

Top man (from my own experiences)

He never looked at ease in Govan at all.

Stevie Reid
05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Will always be grateful for what McLeish did for us - had we got a different manager after Duffy who knows how long we may have been down for. Certainly wouldn't have been treated to Sauzee or Latapy.

His "I'll be here for as long as you want me" statement was made to remove the speculation surrounding the Aberdeen job at the time and to allow us to fully celebrate the end of our big adventure on the day we lifted the trophy at ER. I didn't hold him to it.

stu in nottingham
05-02-2013, 01:09 PM
This was very much on the cards after the debacle on deadline day with George Boyd. If it hadn't happened it would have soon enough anyway I think. McLeish refused to comment to the press last weekend and it was obvious he was considering his future.

I've no sympathy for McLeish, a despicable character at best it seems but the new Forest owners take the biscuit. The problem is that the club were in a very vulnerable position after former owner Nigel Doughty passed away and these people came along at an opportune time. The first we heard about them in Nottingham is that they were going to bring some players for 'trials' with them from Kuwait when they came to the club. For me, the writing was on the wall right there. They appear to know absolutely nothing about football but behave as though they do - a bad mix.

After claiming they were going to bring in an 'iconic' figure as the new manager they brought in the relatively modest Sean O'Driscoll - a good football man, respected by many who seemed like a very good, sensible and pragmatic choice. He was not the big name manager they had promised though. McLeish turned them down at that point too.

O'Driscoll was popular with the Forest faithful. Progress was steady and inconsistency somewhat prevalent however I think a majority believed that he should be given time to build the club up. I certainly do. It appears that the large egos and ignorance of the Forest board led to them severing O'Driscoll's contract to bring in their 'big name' and to push forward their game plan from one of consolidation and steady progress to 'ensuring' promotion.

Forest have a large squad which is much of a muchness. There is arguably little in the way of Premiership class within that large squad. In the meantime, the owners 'fiddle while Rome burns' spending money on two unwanted large screens for the City Ground and nothing in the way of players.

McLeish will surface out of this intact as he always does. I feel that Forest have much more major turbulence ahead though.

LancsHibs
05-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Stu who would you like as the next Forrest manager and who are the likely candidates?

stu in nottingham
05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Stu who would you like as the next Forrest manager and who are the likely candidates?

I'm not a Forest man, only Hibs, so am totally ambivalent about that LH. I am an interested observer of local football though. I can tell you that Nigel Adkins is the man on most people's lips here at the moment. He seems to be the first quoted too.

I think the vast majority of Forest fans would love to have Billy Davies back and feel that he should never have left. Seems highly unlikely though. For what it's worth I think he'd be great. A relationship between him and this present board would not last five minutes though.

I really think they need to get away from this 'big name' stupidity and get someone in similar to the decent man they sacked in O'Driscoll.

LancsHibs
05-02-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm not a Forest man, only Hibs, so am totally ambivalent about that LH. I am an interested observer of local football though. I can tell you that Nigel Adkins is the man on most people's lips here at the moment. He seems to be the first quoted too.

I think the vast majority of Forest fans would love to have Billy Davies back and feel that he should never have left. Seems highly unlikely though. For what it's worth I think he'd be great. A relationship between him and this present board would not last five minutes though.

I really think they need to get away from this 'big name' stupidity and get someone in similar to the decent man they sacked in O'Driscoll.

Interesting, Adkins would be a good appointment, news from my area is that Billy Davies has been offered terms for the Blackpool job last night and told they want an answer today! Expect he will be making a quick call to Nottingham before calling them back with an answer:wink:

stu in nottingham
05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Interesting, Adkins would be a good appointment, news from my area is that Billy Davies has been offered terms for the Blackpool job last night and told they want an answer today! Expect he will be making a quick call to Nottingham before calling them back with an answer:wink:

He's been on the sidelines for quite a while now. He has good credentials so I think it can be assumed that it's not for purely football reasons he's been out of a job. I think he's a very good manager indeed but he needs careful handling!

Time For Heroes
05-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Has anyone else noticed that AM looks like goldmember from Austin Powers????

Fergus52
05-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Yeah he built a great team and got us a few great results, but it put us in almost crippling debt.

Treadstone
05-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Me too, he was never gonna knock back Rangers. 6-2 and the 0-3 spring readily to mind for someone like me who went to every one of the 22 in a row. The fitba' we played in 00-01 while also shutting the back door (think we had the best defence till late on in the season).

Left us in a bit of a mess but not as bad as when he took over.

NOLA
05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Best manager we've had in 30 odd years, instilled a winning mentality and mental toughness I hadn't seen before from a hibs manager and havn't since, although fenlon is getting there with the mental toughness

Andy74
05-02-2013, 05:36 PM
I find it difficult to dislike McLeish. Can't really blame him for moving on to more money just like players we have all liked have done also.

bigwheel
05-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Best manager we've had in 30 odd years, instilled a winning mentality and mental toughness I hadn't seen before from a hibs manager and havn't since, although fenlon is getting there with the mental toughness

Perhaps ...he had a budget twice anyone else , so hard to compare like for like .

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Wonder if his 40 day saga will be made into a book then hit the big screen a la Brian Clough? :-)Rupert Grint can play McLeish.

The Falcon
05-02-2013, 07:01 PM
When did STF become poor. :greengrin

He would be poor at a rate of knots if he followed the advice on this board! :greengrin

KeithTheHibby
05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
He walked out on Scotland too for the job at Birmingham City, that for me was worse than leaving Hibs for the huns.

Once a judas always a Judas. **** him.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Isn't this what you get, when you have people that know nothing at all about football, in charge of clubs?? On the surface, the Tricky Trees were bowling along nicely and playing some decent stuff, when that got taken away from them, and then an outsider was foisted on them. Looks like they all just downed tools en masse.

jacomo
06-02-2013, 03:45 PM
He walked out on Scotland too for the job at Birmingham City, that for me was worse than leaving Hibs for the huns.

And then left the Blues for Villa... that's like leaving Hibs to take over at Hearts. Incidentally, he also walked out on Motherwell to take over at ER - he's left a string of angry fans across the game.

McLeish's last game in charge* at Forest was a visit to St Andrews, where the home fans chanted "Judas!" at him all game. But apparently he's a nice guy.

I just don't get why he changed from being an exciting young manager at Well and Hibs into the dour tactician seen in the Midlands.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2013, 06:50 PM
And then left the Blues for Villa... that's like leaving Hibs to take over at Hearts. Incidentally, he also walked out on Motherwell to take over at ER - he's left a string of angry fans across the game.

McLeish's last game in charge* at Forest was a visit to St Andrews, where the home fans chanted "Judas!" at him all game. But apparently he's a nice guy.

I just don't get why he changed from being an exciting young manager at Well and Hibs into the dour tactician seen in the Midlands.That is what Rangers do to a person.

stu in nottingham
07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Billy Davies has just been appointed the new manager of Forest.

Smart move by the Al-Hasawi family at Forest in bringing the fans back onside but I predict fireworks! Light blue touch paper and stand well back...

Fasten your seatbelt Grandma - the bingo game is about to begin!

jacomo
07-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Billy Davies has just been appointed the new manager of Forest.

Smart move by the Al-Hasawi family at Forest in bringing the fans back onside but I predict fireworks! Light blue touch paper and stand well back...

Fast your seatbelt Grandma - the bingo game is about to begin!

Confirmation that these owners have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Billy Davies would start an argument with the infinite emptiness of space.

jgl07
07-02-2013, 04:39 PM

I just don't get why he changed from being an exciting young manager at Well and Hibs into the dour tactician seen in the Midlands.

To be fair to McLeish, he turned down Hibs' first approach and we ended up with Duff Jimmy. He came second attempt and I don't recall many complaints from Easter Road then. Nor were there many from Motherwell if I remember correctly.

While at Hibs he built a successful team. I can recall him pleading with the supporters to turn out but they did not.

Hibs were second for a good proportion of that season and finished a comfortable third and reached the Scottish Cup Final. Yet the supporters stayed away after the winter break. OK there was restricted capacity due to the demolition of the old Main Stand but that restricted capacity of 12,049 was never tested. It was inevitable that McLeish would move on from then.

The club had done everything including bringing in the likes of Sauzee and Latapy not to mention Mixu, John O'Neil, Ulli Larsen, David Zitelli, etc. The fans stayed away.

Beefster
07-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah he built a great team and got us a few great results, but it put us in almost crippling debt.

I don't think you can blame McLeish for the debt. He could only spend what he was given.

Billy Whizz
07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
I don't think you can blame McLeish for the debt. He could only spend what he was given.

I agree. The Dunfermline fans still hold Jimmy Calderwood responsible for their debt. Their board however sanctioned the signings.

hibs0666
07-02-2013, 11:00 PM
I find it difficult to dislike McLeish. Can't really blame him for moving on to more money just like players we have all liked have done also.

Me neither. A mate of mine sang the Eck McLeish wi ginger hair song to him at a Xmas do in London a couple of years back and McLeish wanted a recording. Must be deef.

jgl07
07-02-2013, 11:24 PM

Exactly.That was what the supporters were clamouring for, that was what McLeish wanted and that was what the Board delivered. The supporters failed to respond. If they had responded the financial crisis would npot have happened and maybe McLeish would have stayed a year or two more?

I never saw too many postings on Hibs net calling for Hibs to cut spending in the latter end of the McLeish era.

Russell The Dug
07-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Me neither. A mate of mine sang the Eck McLeish wi ginger hair song to him at a Xmas do in London a couple of years back and McLeish wanted a recording. Must be deef.

Great song! And Franck Sauzee is still the king!

Russell The Dug
07-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Exactly.That was what the supporters were clamouring for, that was what McLeish wanted and that was what the Board delivered. The supporters failed to respond. If they had responded the financial crisis would npot have happened and maybe McLeish would have stayed a year or two more?

I never saw too many postings on Hibs net calling for Hibs to cut spending in the latter end of the McLeish era.

There should have been when he started spending it on ***** like the tank to be fair.

Under GJP we did get fees for Laursen and DLC too it's worth pointing out but £100k for Orman?

silverhibee
07-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Good guy.

.Sean.
08-02-2013, 04:50 AM

You forgot 'ginger' mate. Ginger Judas. He's abawbag. As he was when I met him at 10 year old. Prick.

Always wondered, what do the Aberdeen fans think of him these days after his time at the Huns? Judas at Hibs, Judas with Aberdeen, Judas with Scotland?

One positive to come from his wee spell at Forest was that the SFA wouldn't have paid the compo to have him released so.

oldbutdim
08-02-2013, 08:21 AM
A despicable man.

Quite coincidental that he is known as Judas at virtually every club he's been at.

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm hoping at his interview when given the Forrest job, the owner said, you will be here as long as i want you?