PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen Support

celthedd1
05-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Cant think of support such as Aberdeen on Sunday.To bring just under half their average gate to a 5th Round match to a ground they have been to dozens of times 130 miles away live on TV !!
Credit where its due,brilliant supporters.

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2013, 02:04 AM
Fair play, great away support but they would help their club a lot more by turning up to home matches every week.

marinello59
05-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Boke.

Tricla
05-02-2013, 05:31 AM
The away end on Sunday would have been largely filled by central belt ewe's and ram's.

No great achievement IMO.

I think it's embarrassing for them as a support to have an away support that is almost as large as their pitiful home support.

SouthMoroccoStu
05-02-2013, 05:53 AM
The away end on Sunday would have been largely filled by central belt ewe's and ram's.

I think it's embarrassing for them as a support to have an away support that is almost as large as their pitiful home support.

This.

One of the biggest myths in Scottish Football.

Aberdeens massive away support......

As Tricla said, they have a large fan base now living in the central belt.

KWJ
05-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Harsh to knock them. They turned up, they made a racket and they stamped their mark on the game. Some amount of balloons, I thought the ultras had packed it in?

Hibernia Na Eir
05-02-2013, 06:23 AM

correct. long known that Sheep have solid central belt support of ex-students/schoolkids who were the glory hunters back in the 80's when sheep were a successful team. Did Edinburgh Uni not have w Dons Supporters club? if so, why? !!

RIP
05-02-2013, 06:25 AM
I used too work and live in Aberdeen. Half the population of Edinburgh but only one main team. It's not bad for entertainment but any a trip to the capital (or Glasgow) is like a weekend break. It's no coincidences that a high number of travelling Tartan Army fans are from that neck of the woods.

Since90+2
05-02-2013, 07:08 AM
This.

One of the biggest myths in Scottish Football.

Aberdeens massive away support......

As Tricla said, they have a large fan base now living in the central belt.

Really? I've heard this mentioned a few times on here but cant say i've ever seen any evidence of it.

I have lived and worked in Edinburgh my entire life and have only ever met one Aberdeen fan and he was from Aberdeen. Really cant see this claim of a large fan base in the central belt being correct.

marinello59
05-02-2013, 07:13 AM
I will give them no extra kudos for going to watch their team in a cup match. Despite what some may say on here we do follow Hibs in large numbers in the cup.
But i do think the central belt thing is a myth. The A90 was packed all the way to Aberdeen on Sunday night and I know loads of Aberdeen resident Dons fans who had not been to an Away match since last years semi-final who made the trip.

LancsHibs
05-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Cant think of support such as Aberdeen on Sunday.To bring just under half their average gate to a 5th Round match to a ground they have been to dozens of times 130 miles away live on TV !!

130 miles, pah! Gets me to about Lockerbie:greengrin

Albanian Hibs
05-02-2013, 07:19 AM

Big deal. It was a cup game. We would have done the same. Look at the coming killie qf game for example. Hibees will be coming down from all over scotland for it.

H18sry
05-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Big deal. It was a cup game. We would have done the same. Look at the coming killie qf game for example. Hibees will be coming down from all over scotland for it.

I cant agree with this, at ER on Sunday 1/3 of the attendance were Aberdeen fan's, our fan's cannot even come to a home cup game let alone travel in big numbers to Aberdeen.

marinello59
05-02-2013, 07:27 AM
I cant agree with this, at ER on Sunday 1/3 of the attendance were Aberdeen fan's, our fan's cannot even come to a home cup game let alone travel in big numbers to Aberdeen.

If it was a cup game we would. The Sheep don't take snywhere near that amount to a league match at ER anymore do they?

H18sry
05-02-2013, 07:28 AM
If it was a cup game we would. The Sheep don't take snywhere near that amount to a league match at ER anymore do they?

Doubt it, they canny be bothered turning up at home so the chances of them all travelling is fairly small.

Albanian Hibs
05-02-2013, 07:28 AM
We have travelled up to aberdeen in big numbers before and I bet hibs will have more fans at killie than the sheep had at ER. I dont get this love in when a team brings a big support. Their balloons were a nuisance more than anything and there big support were very quiet for large parts of the match. It was a day out in the capital for most ofthem.

matty_f
05-02-2013, 07:31 AM
They all left looking very sheepish.

Mikeystewart
05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
correct. long known that Sheep have solid central belt support of ex-students/schoolkids who were the glory hunters back in the 80's when sheep were a successful team. Did Edinburgh Uni not have w Dons Supporters club? if so, why? !!

TBF there are a lot of people who support Hibs from all over Scotland that weren't from Edinburgh because of the 70s Hibs teams. Grant Stott one.

celthedd1
05-02-2013, 07:58 AM
They all left looking very sheepish.
The only other team with similar home gates as Dons in Scotland are Hibs,similar size clubs both selling around 14k for semi last year.
Flip side of the coin dare I suggest that we would have amassed far less than 1k at Pittordrie last sunday.

Houchy
05-02-2013, 08:06 AM
TBF there are a lot of people who support Hibs from all over Scotland that weren't from Edinburgh because of the 70s Hibs teams. Grant Stott one.

:confused:You sure? Thought he was an Edinburgh boy. He certainly went to High School in Edinburgh:agree:

PatHead
05-02-2013, 08:11 AM
The great Aberdeen support was almost as big as "the Medda" support a few years ago in the Cup.

hibs4thecup1988
05-02-2013, 08:15 AM
The only other team with similar home gates as Dons in Scotland are Hibs,similar size clubs both selling around 14k for semi last year.
Flip side of the coin dare I suggest that we would have amassed far less than 1k at Pittordrie last sunday.

Of course we took less last week. No trains running and having to get up at ridiculous o clock to even think about going. Aberdeen based dons could have left at 12 on Sunday and made it no worries. Guarantee you for the killie game we will sell that stand out.

Since90+2
05-02-2013, 09:25 AM

They may bring a decent sized support but I dont think they are particularly loud or vociferous in any way. Certainly not compared to the Old Firm or even Hearts.

Albanian Hibs
05-02-2013, 09:43 AM
They may bring a decent sized support but I dont think they are particularly loud or vociferous in any way. Certainly not compared to the Old Firm or even Hearts.

Agree

MB62
05-02-2013, 09:52 AM

Maybe that's because we banned their band :greengrin

Brightside
05-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Very noisy and also pretty funny support. Putting the ballons in Tesco bags was a nice touch and had Sparky pissing himself laughing. The game overall had a great atmosphere.

clerriehibs
05-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Why not?!?!?! Should there never be a Hibs supporters club outside Edinburgh?

hibby rae
05-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Edinburgh Uni has societies for everything. I'd imagine that one was set up by students down from Aberdeen and I believe they do go to the home games as well.

superfurryhibby
05-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Judging from one of the flags on Sunday they still do have an EDinburgh Uni SC.

The glory hunting thing, not buying that. There's been a hell of a lot of disappointed sheep since the 80's. What I do think is that there are far more Aberdonians residing in the central belt than folk from Edinburgh up there. Good support but I reckon we will take more down to Killie.

hibby rae
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
A benefit of having Hearts and Aberdeen play an extra game at ER is any loss financially from the Huns not filling the stand twice a season has been cushioned quite a bit.

LeighLoyal
05-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I think a fair few will be Edinburgh or Central belt based fans who don't normally go to Pittodrie every week, but can't fault their turnout. I doubt we would have taken 3.5k up there to be honest.

R'Albin
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
I'd be surprised if there was much more than half that away support going to Pittodrie on Saturday.

The Baldmans Comb
05-02-2013, 10:51 AM
All that matters is that they went to the bother of turning up in impressive numbers and whether they come from Aberdeen or the central belt isn't really important.

They were an amusing lot and reasonably noisy and went home rather dissapointed and you can't ask for anything more than that.:greengrin

H18sry
05-02-2013, 02:16 PM
We now have a chance to find out for ourselves, in the cup quarter final Sunday 3PM ko away, will we take over 3,500 fans to a televised game 60 miles away, I think we will take half that amount, but time may well prove me wrong, and I hope it does but I don't think so.

afc-2252
05-02-2013, 06:39 PM
We now have a chance to find out for ourselves, in the cup quarter final Sunday 3PM ko away, will we take over 3,500 fans to a televised game 60 miles away, I think we will take half that amount, but time may well prove me wrong, and I hope it does but I don't think so.

I'll be very surprised if Hibs take more that 2 - 2.5k to Rugby Park, but time will tell. I'm not sure why so many Hibs fans are having a dig at the average attendance at Pittodrie. I'd agree it's not great at the moment, however as far as I'm aware it's less than 400 off the Hibs average (circa 10,500 v 10,900). I'd also add the Hibs average has been increased by having had 2 "big" games at Easter Road (Celtic and Hearts) v 1 "big" game (Celtic) at Pittodrie, probably just about the difference between the two figures.

Also the central belt thing is a myth. There are a few supporters clubs in the central belt but it probably amounts to adding a couple of hundred onto a gate like that at most.

Hainan Hibs
05-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Due to Aberdeen being the back o beyond a trip to Edinburgh is their equivalent of a trip to Las Vegas, Macau, Monaco, or any other exciting location you can think of therefore it is only natural for them to treat it as such a big day out.

A trip for us to Aberdeen however is, well, a trip to 1983.

WestEndHibee
05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Fair play to them, their away support is always a good one! Although, while SOL was being sung at the end there was a fair few of them giving the old 5-1 hand gesture which was very petty. Just gave a brilliant great chance to pull out the 1-0 again :greengrin.

VPHIBEE
05-02-2013, 09:45 PM
All that matters is that they went to the bother of turning up in impressive numbers and whether they come from Aberdeen or the central belt isn't really important.

They were an amusing lot and reasonably noisy and went home rather dissapointed and you can't ask for anything more than that.:greengrin

I took my 6 year old daughter to her first ever match on Sunday. I thought I had booked tickets for the East Stand, but ended up in the West Upper. I have to say I have been to better funerals. My daughter kept asking "When are we going to sing Hibees Daddy". She was transfixed by the much more vocal Aberdeen fans for most of the game.

It was good to see some Hibs fans trying to create an atmosphere in the East. Well done for your efforts Section 43.

DH1875
05-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Growing up in the central belt they always had a large fan base. The Glasgow branch used to run 3 buses to games and living out this way there's much more Aberdeen fans than Hibs fans.

seanraff07
06-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Harsh to knock them. They turned up, they made a racket and they stamped their mark on the game. Some amount of balloons, I thought the ultras had packed it in?

Red Ultras disbanded in 2009 but announced a few weeks back that they're giving it a go again.

Keith_M
06-02-2013, 11:33 AM
If you're not impressed by them taking over 3,000 to ER on Sunday and giving their team decent backing, fair enough. I thought it was a good sized support for a team that hasn't been really successful in decades and that they were very loud when they were singing (for most of the game more so than the home support as, outside of a short spell, it was mostly only Section 43 that tried to create an atmosphere.)

I actually don't get the dislike some people seem to have towards Aberdeen. Is this a left-over from the Casual era :dunno:

yeezus.
06-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Pittodrie is a library unless they are playing Dundee United or the huns.

Pete
06-02-2013, 02:50 PM
I think Scottish football needs clubs that are capable of bringing crowds like that.

Good on them.

jane_says
06-02-2013, 04:26 PM

Youve got to be kidding right, there's no way we'd have 3 thousand in aberdeen for the same fixture. Killie game is a quarter final, slightly different. Credit where it's due I'd say there were more empty seats in the Celtic end at christmas than on Sunday.

S4uzee
06-02-2013, 04:32 PM
WHO CARES **** Aberdeen

green day
06-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Youve got to be kidding right, there's no way we'd have 3 thousand in aberdeen for the same fixture. Killie game is a quarter final, slightly different. Credit where it's due I'd say there were more empty seats in the Celtic end at christmas than on Sunday.

Why 'credit where its due' ?

I know loads of sheep fans who live in edinburgh and fife - its practically a satellite of the granite city, population wise.

It seems to me that anyone not involved in the oil industry fecks off out of aberdeen and comes to (usually) edinburgh to work.

If these guys actually travelled down, then credit to them - but the majority probably didnt, they got out of bed in leith and wandered across to middletons then started spraffin in Doric/Norwegian to anyone who listens.

As has been posted earlier, their home crowds are only about 9000 - and part of the reason is that so many of their 'supporters' live down here and cant be arsed going to home games - hence the 'we have a massive travelling support' fantasy/made up pish from every dons fan.

Aye, massive travelling support, but in my opinion they dinnae travel that far.

hibs4thecup1988
06-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Celtic sold out their allocation at xmas time. Aberdeen brought 2,800. Could one of the hibs interactive guys give us the breakdown in attendance please?

JIm
06-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Anyone who forks out money to go and see their team away from home, whether they live in the central belt or not should be commended. Wish all clubs were capable of bringing supports like that to Easter Road.

I'm not a fan of Aberdeen, in fact I don't like them very much at all, however top away support (in terms of numbers)

essexhibee
06-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Dunno why some people are trying to slate them to be honest. On a Sunday afternoon with the game on TV they brought 3.5k and helped not only the atmosphere but fill the ground which with it being on TV only helped to save a little bit of face for the SPL.

Diclonius
08-02-2013, 03:44 AM
:confused:You sure? Thought he was an Edinburgh boy. He certainly went to High School in Edinburgh:agree:

Isn't Grant Stott from Dalry?

.Sean.
08-02-2013, 04:07 AM
I think it's refreshing to see such a big away support and it makes for an occassion. Even their 'poor' league support is twice as much as we take up there. It certainly gets you more pumped up than the usual paltry 400 or so Dundee United or St Mirren muster, which is a downright shocking number considering the distance.

.Sean.
08-02-2013, 04:12 AM
Isn't Grant Stott from Dalry?
Dunno about him but his brother definately is, he was at Libby High with my ex's mum.

Albanian Hibs
08-02-2013, 07:24 AM

How am I kidding? Have you been up to a cup game at pittodrie before? I have. Cup games are completely different from the run of the mill league games. As another poster stated above, celtc sold their end out at xmas where as Aberdeen did not. Get your facts straight before you come on here slating my post.

Craigyno1
08-02-2013, 08:07 AM

My sister, who was a schoolkid in the 80s, has been an Aberdeen supporter since those days. She still goes to the games in Edinburgh/Fife, and occasionally travels up to home games. She still supports them as much as she did when they were a good team, and she can be very annoying when they beat Hibs! :hide:

mjhibby
08-02-2013, 08:16 AM

As he used to stay about 500 yds from my old house and his mum still lives in oxgangs yes he is an edinburgh boy.Bit of a grump when you met him until you mention hibs.

danhibees1875
08-02-2013, 09:03 AM

The uni still has one, them and Celtic have a society. Attempts are made for a hibs one every so often but it never works out.

It's not down to the uni to decide what has a society if you're remark was asking why the uni were backing Aberdeen rather than hibs.
:aok:

lord bunberry
08-02-2013, 09:11 AM
How am I kidding? Have you been up to a cup game at pittodrie before? I have. Cup games are completely different from the run of the mill league games. As another poster stated above, celtc sold their end out at xmas where as Aberdeen did not. Get your facts straight before you come on here slating my post.

Hibs always take big supports to away games in the cup. I remember being up at tanadice a few years ago for a cup game and hibs had a huge support up there. In fact can anyone remember hibs taking a poor crowd to an away cup game as everyone I've been to there has been a very healthy away support

Albanian Hibs
08-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Hibs always take big supports to away games in the cup. I remember being up at tanadice a few years ago for a cup game and hibs had a huge support up there. In fact can anyone remember hibs taking a poor crowd to an away cup game as everyone I've been to there has been a very healthy away support

Correct. Some people just want to stick boot in to our club at any opportunity.

JohnScott
09-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Correct. Some people just want to stick boot in to our club at any opportunity.

And dont you think we deserve it some times? Only we could try and ridicule a club thats filled our coffers when we need it most. Some of you really are a bunch of ****holes.

Frazerbob
09-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Aberdeen had a great support down. Bigger than we have EVER taken to Pittodrie in my time following Hibs and 10 times the numbers we had at their place the week before (yes I know there were different circumstances). However, who's in the quarters? GIRFY Sheepies! :flag:

green day
09-02-2013, 09:25 AM
" a club thats filled our coffers when we need it most"

Filled our coffers? Really? When they share the gate money from 3000 fans. I must write thanking them all.........

Get the facts straight before calling people names.

Andy74
09-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Aberdeen had a great support down. Bigger than we have EVER taken to Pittodrie in my time following Hibs and 10 times the numbers we had at their place the week before (yes I know there were different circumstances). However, who's in the quarters? GIRFY Sheepies! :flag:

As mentioned they don't really bring them down. They are largely based centrally. We wouldn't take so many up there as must of us are central too and it's more of a trek North for more people.

Albanian Hibs
09-02-2013, 09:40 AM
And dont you think we deserve it some times? Only we could try and ridicule a club thats filled our coffers when we need it most. Some of you really are a bunch of ****holes.

First time I have been called an ******** so thanks for that.

Please explain to us how 3000 sheep fans have filled our clubs coffers. Here was me thinking that the gate money was split between the two teams. Next time the yams come a visiting lets congratulate their fans too for showing up in big numbers

Frazerbob
09-02-2013, 09:48 AM
As mentioned they don't really bring them down. They are largely based centrally. We wouldn't take so many up there as must of us are central too and it's more of a trek North for more people.

Yes, there are more Sheep in the central belt than us up here but how many are we talking? My educated guess would be that we are talking about a few hundred maximum Aberdeen fans at the game last weekend who live in the Edinburgh area. The vast majority of the glory hunters from my days at school in Edinburgh never went to games then, never mind 30 years later when they are pish. Believe me, I drove down from Aberdeen for the game last week and the motorway was full of Sheep transporting coaches, buses, mini buses and cars. Mind you, I know a fair few who were at the game last week and it was their fist game since last year's semi. Aberdeen fans are very similar to the Tartan Army in that they seem to pick one or two games a season to be their big day out. Last week was one of them.

Why can't folk accept that they had a good support down last week? The biggest non Old Firm or Derby away crowd for many a year.

green day
09-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Why can't folk accept that they had a good support down last week? The biggest non Old Firm or Derby away crowd for many a year.

Everyone accepts it was a good crowd.

The love in for the sheep is the bit I find unacceptable.

Hibernian Verse
09-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Circumstances aside, we should be ashamed of the support that was at Pittodrie last week, a lot of which were uni students from Aberdeen and RGU - I know this because I am one before people question it.

Andy74
09-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Yes, there are more Sheep in the central belt than us up here but how many are we talking? My educated guess would be that we are talking about a few hundred maximum Aberdeen fans at the game last weekend who live in the Edinburgh area. The vast majority of the glory hunters from my days at school in Edinburgh never went to games then, never mind 30 years later when they are pish. Believe me, I drove down from Aberdeen for the game last week and the motorway was full of Sheep transporting coaches, buses, mini buses and cars. Mind you, I know a fair few who were at the game last week and it was their fist game since last year's semi. Aberdeen fans are very similar to the Tartan Army in that they seem to pick one or two games a season to be their big day out. Last week was one of them.

It was a good crowd. There are just some reasons why it's easier for them to that though. We'd have taken big numbers for a cup game if it was as easy for a large number of fans to get to.

lord bunberry
09-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Circumstances aside, we should be ashamed of the support that was at Pittodrie last week, a lot of which were uni students from Aberdeen and RGU - I know this because I am one before people question it.

You can't say things like we should be ashamed on here. I can already hear the cavalry mounting their high horses

Frazerbob
09-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Everyone accepts it was a good crowd.

The love in for the sheep is the bit I find unacceptable.

What love in? There's a big differencce between a love in and giving credit for bringing down a decent crowd. Not being able to do so makes us look bitter IMO.

Frazerbob
09-02-2013, 10:03 AM
It was a good crowd. There are just some reasons why it's easier for them to that though. We'd have taken big numbers for a cup game if it was as easy for a large number of fans to get to.

I recon we'd take a couple of thousand had the game been at their place, just my opinion. I recon we'll take over 3k to Rugby park for the quarters, which is half the distance of Edinburgh to Aberdeen. The Kille game will be a good comparison.

Frazerbob
09-02-2013, 10:07 AM

My first Hibs game in Aberdeen was 1983. I've hardly missed one since, partly due to moving here in 2001. Our support has gone from around 1000+ in the old Beach End to the lowest I've ever seen a couple of weeks ago, around 300. The most I can remember was 2500 for the cup replay in the '90s (penalties win) I realise live TV and kick off times is having a big impact. You can't get the train for the early Sunday games for a start. However I do find I strange that we regularly take 2 or 3 thousand to Dundee but rarely take more than 500 an hour further up the road.

Kris1875
09-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Geez !! Fine they brought a good support let's just leave it there , would we have done the same ? Possibly , we'll never know .

We're through they're not personally I'm glad there was more of them there to see them getting bombed out . Good chance the numbers where boosted due to us putting them out last year and they where hoping for a bit revenge ?

I do think everyone has a good point so can we just leave it now ? Big game on Monday night for us to concentrate on !

Frazerbob
09-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Geez !! Fine they brought a good support let's just leave it there , would we have done the same ? Possibly , we'll never know .

We're through they're not personally I'm glad there was more of them there to see them getting bombed out . Good chance the numbers where boosted due to us putting them out last year and they where hoping for a bit revenge ?

I do think everyone has a good point so can we just leave it now ? Big game on Monday night for us to concentrate on !

Come on, it's yet another Saturday with no game, we need something to fall out about!

Kris1875
09-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Come on, it's yet another Saturday with no game, we need something to fall out about!

Alright then , there support wasn't that good, we would've eclipsed there support if it was at pittodrie no worries and thank them for filling our coffers ? Eh naw , they filled the pitch with they daft balloons and tesco bags messy gits !! I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fi.... !!

:green grin:

kaimendhibs
09-02-2013, 03:34 PM
7243 at pittodrie today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllyF
09-02-2013, 11:36 PM
My favourite stat of the season:

Season ticket holders at Pittodrie are paying an average of about 16.70 a goal this season.