PDA

View Full Version : Never lost a penalty shootout

hibsbollah
04-02-2013, 10:07 PM
One for the stattos.

I know we've never lost a penalty shootout, but how many have we won?

Mikey
04-02-2013, 10:08 PM
All of them :agree:

wearethehibs
04-02-2013, 10:13 PM
We lost to Leeds a long time ago I thought.

IberianHibernian
04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
We lost to Leeds in UEFA Cup in 70s .

eastterrace
04-02-2013, 10:20 PM
pat stanton hit the post and missed so we lost 5-4 against leeds, cant think of anymore we lost tho.

CentreLine
04-02-2013, 10:25 PM
We lost to Leeds in UEFA Cup in 70s .

Fantastic game. Sadly Pat Stanton missed the crucial spot kick at the Dunbar End

Jonnyboy
04-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Fantastic game. Sadly Pat Stanton missed the crucial spot kick at the Dunbar End

I can see it in my mind's eye right now. Pat placed the ball on the spot and turned to walk away to get ready for his run up. As he turned away the referee moved the ball on the spot. I blame himfor the miss, not Pat :wink:

MichelleHibs
04-02-2013, 10:37 PM
I can see it in my mind's eye right now. Pat placed the ball on the spot and turned to walk away to get ready for his run up. As he turned away the referee moved the ball on the spot. I blame himfor the miss, not Pat :wink:

You sound like my dad :)

Jonnyboy
04-02-2013, 10:39 PM
You sound like my dad :)

:greengrin

JohnStephens91
04-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Never lost to another Scottish team on penalties, good record to hold, not sure of how many it is though.

Hiber-nation
04-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Is that right that we haven't lost one since the Leeds game? I think we might have lost on pens to Meadowbank yonks ago but it might have been in the East of Scotland Shield....The games I recall - we won all of them

Motherwell away in League Cup a couple of years ago
Rangers in League Cup semi 2004
Aberdeen in Scottish Cup, Kevin Harper scoring the winner (1996?)
Home to Celtic in the League cup after the 4-4 draw - Pierce O'Leary putting the ball down Albion Road. 1985
I'm sure we won a shootout at home to Clydebank in League Cup after a 0-0 draw, only thing I vaguely remember is Neil Orr scoring a pen...maybe

Jonnyboy
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Is that right that we haven't lost one since the Leeds game? I think we might have lost on pens to Meadowbank yonks ago but it might have been in the East of Scotland Shield....The games I recall - we won all of them

Home to Celtic in the League cup after the 4-4 draw - Pierce O'Leary putting the ball down Albion Road. 1985
I'm sure we won a shootout at home to Clydebank in League Cup after a 0-0 draw, only thing I vaguely remember is Neil Orr scoring a pen...maybe

Possibly my favourite one :agree:

BTW watch Scott Brown after we win through - makes a beeline for the huns bench to dance his delight in front of them :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVnigShdkZ4

Hiber-nation
04-02-2013, 10:48 PM

BTW watch Scott Brown after we win through - makes a beeline for the huns bench to dance his delight in front of them :greengrin

Brilliant - one of my favourite Hibs games.

Just remembered another shootout at Firrhill....2-2 at full time, Crunchie scored both I think.

tamig
04-02-2013, 10:50 PM

We did. Took my wife to be to that game not long after we first met. She never got invited back to ER again - even though we won!

KeithTheHibby
04-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Sure we won on penalties against Clyde in the SC, maybe around 1993?

Jonnyboy
04-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Brilliant - one of my favourite Hibs games.

Just remembered another shootout at Firrhill....2-2 at full time, Crunchie scored both I think.

Here ye go :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88RyPZ_ECs

Jonnyboy
04-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Here's another belter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSlja_dfsY

Hiber-nation
04-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Here's another belter

Have to say Leighton's saves were amazing in both games...brilliant stuff!

CB_NO3
04-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Have to say Leighton's saves were amazing in both games...brilliant stuff!
I took a half day for the Aberdeen replay game. Was 11 year old. My dad took me from school and said I had the dentist.

Russell The Dug
04-02-2013, 11:40 PM

Amazing mate.

Dobbies goal
Then ahead on pens
Murdoch stepping up
Tambo was sensational that second half.
Klos saving the best penalty ever off big Garry
Franck de boer.
Amazing night only spoiled by the Hun prick who smashed our southern bus window outside asda at kings park.

Russell The Dug
04-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Amazing mate.

Dobbies goal
Then ahead on pens
Murdoch stepping up
Tambo was sensational that second half.
Klos saving the best penalty ever off big Garry
Franck de boer.
Amazing night only spoiled by the Hun prick who smashed our southern bus window outside asda at kings park.

Forgot danny saving Michael Mols pen at the hibs end. Magic.

Was it not the game ricksen got done on camera elbowing Derek too but got off with it during the game? Kenny Clarks a Hun prick tho

degenerated
05-02-2013, 07:07 AM

It wasn't Craig Thomson, was it :greengrin

KWJ
05-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Beat Clyde at that funny wee stadium in East Kilbride in 1999. Justin Skinner & Alex Marinkov's last games, maybe Paul Holsgrove's too. Wee Russ had to come on and turn the tide for us when he was in Eck's bad books for coming back late from T&T.

#FromTheCapital
05-02-2013, 08:07 AM
I suppose this thread means we can all expect to lose the next penalty shoot out we're involved in.

Purple & Green
05-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Nov 73 lost 5-4 to Leeds
Sep 85 won 4-3 v Celtic
Aug 89 won 5-3 v Clydebank
Aug 93 won 3-2 v Partick Thistle
Jan 97 won 5-4 v Aberdeen
Aug 99 won 5-4 v Clyde
Feb 04 won 4-3 v Rangers
Sep 11 won 7-6 v Motherwell

Iain Munro scored v Celtic in 85, having missed out on playing against Leeds in 73.

in 89, 97 & 99 Hibs scored all their penalties

Pat McGinlay is the only player to score in two shoot outs
Garry O' Connor is the only other player to take part in more than one shoot out (as a taker),he missed in 2004 but scored in 2011.

Ian Cameron missed for Partick in 1993, but scored in 1997.

Normally reliable Tommy McIntyre missed in 1993.

Harpandcastle
05-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Nov 73 lost 5-4 to Leeds
Sep 85 won 4-3 v Celtic
Aug 89 won 5-3 v Clydebank
Aug 93 won 3-2 v Partick Thistle
Jan 97 won 5-4 v Aberdeen
Aug 99 won 5-4 v Clyde
Feb 04 won 4-3 v Rangers
Sep 11 won 7-6 v Motherwell

Iain Munro scored v Celtic in 85, having missed out on playing against Leeds in 73.

in 89, 97 & 99 Hibs scored all their penalties

Pat McGinlay is the only player to score in two shoot outs
Garry O' Connor is the only other player to take part in more than one shoot out (as a taker),he missed in 2004 but scored in 2011.

Ian Cameron missed for Partick in 1993, but scored in 1997.

Normally reliable Tommy McIntyre missed in 1993.

Seem to remember Goram scoring one v Clydebank, possibly the winner?

Sauzee7062
05-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Forgot danny saving Michael Mols pen at the hibs end. Magic.

Was it not the game ricksen got done on camera elbowing Derek too but got off with it during the game? Kenny Clarks a Hun prick tho

Think it was Arteta who missed the penalty during the game?

Purple & Green
05-02-2013, 09:25 AM

He sure did along with Paul Kane, John Collins, Keith Houchen, Neil Orr.

Think it was Arteta who missed the penalty during the game?

It was Arteta; but I remembered it as Mols. Funny old thing the memory.

hibsbollah
05-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone. So its definitively won 7 lost 0 shootouts against non Yorkshire opposition? :greengrin

hibbybrian
05-02-2013, 10:22 AM

There was a chip van at the top of the terracing which was doing a roaring trade :greengrin

Bill Milne
05-02-2013, 10:44 AM

Yes, both goalies took penalties but Andy's was the winner for us.

--------
05-02-2013, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=Jonnyboy;3497222]

Here's another belter

Aye, John, life was really boring when Lex Miller was our manager. :stirrer:

Three saves (as opposed to 'missed' penalties) in that one shoot-out at Firhill was totally outstanding.

Can't remember who the ref was at Pittodrie but Shearer should NEVER have had that second chance - blatant favouritism.

IFONLY
05-02-2013, 02:30 PM
We did lose a penalty shoot out to Scottish opposition. A few years ago we split the squad and played two friendlies on the same day, one against Ayr Utd the other against QoS. The Ayr game ended in a draw and as for some reason there was a trophy up for grabs the game went to penalties. Cant remember the score but Hibs lost.

hibsbollah
05-02-2013, 03:01 PM
We did lose a penalty shoot out to Scottish opposition. A few years ago we split the squad and played two friendlies on the same day, one against Ayr Utd the other against QoS. The Ayr game ended in a draw and as for some reason there was a trophy up for grabs the game went to penalties. Cant remember the score but Hibs lost.

Im not sure friendlies count :greengrin We are Unbeatable. FACT.

DH1875
05-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Hands down one of the best nights I've ever had following Hibs. Our support that night was amazing and the hairs on the back of my neck still stand when I think about the noise that hit me as I got to the top of the stairs at our end :thumbsup:.

brog
05-02-2013, 04:05 PM
I read in DR recently about the Leeds game. It said wrongly that Pat took the first penalty & missed but it was actually our last. Now my memory was of Pat's pen hitting the underside of bar & almost crossing the line but again the DR ( & someone on here ) saying it hit post. can anyone confirm? I also remember Hibs protesting after the game about the shoot-out but can't remember why, again, anyone any help?

DH1875
05-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Here ye go :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88RyPZ_ECs

Another cracking night. Broke my ankle falling down the terracing at the end :idiot:. Still had a ball though :flag:.

IFONLY
05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I read in DR recently about the Leeds game. It said wrongly that Pat took the first penalty & missed but it was actually our last. Now my memory was of Pat's pen hitting the underside of bar & almost crossing the line but again the DR ( & someone on here ) saying it hit post. can anyone confirm? I also remember Hibs protesting after the game about the shoot-out but can't remember why, again, anyone any help?

Im sure Pat took the first penalty it hit the post or over the bar cant really remember (havent watched a penalty shoot out since) Hibs protested because Don Revie (Leeds manager) was standing in the centre circle when the penalties where being taken

Purple & Green
05-02-2013, 04:13 PM

Glasgow Herald the morning after reports:

"Hibernian, minutes after being beaten 5-4 on penalties by Leeds United in a UEFA Cup tie at Easter Road last night cabled UEFA Claiming the tie.

THe Hibernian managing director, Mr Tom Hart, said that Hibs were doing so because of a breach of article 11 of the UEFA rules, in that Les Cocker and Don Revie, trainer and manager, weere allowed to stay on the pitch during the taking of penalty kicks. Also, Billy Bremner had been allowed to leave the field for a drink of water.

Earlier, Hibs had been beaten on penalties, Pat Stanton hitting the post with the first kick, which was typical of the bad luck that had dogged Hibs throughout the match."

Hiber-nation
05-02-2013, 04:21 PM

Pat's was definitely 1st pen and at Dunbar End, hit the inside of the post. I remember this clearly but can't remember what I was doing this morning :greengrin

Jonnyboy
05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=Jonnyboy;3497222]

Here's another belter

Three saves (as opposed to 'missed' penalties) in that one shoot-out at Firhill was totally outstanding.

Can't remember who the ref was at Pittodrie but Shearer should NEVER have had that second chance - blatant favouritism.

T'was Kenny Clark Doddie

Definitely the first pen, B :agree:

--------
05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
T'was Kenny Clark Doddie

Ah - he looks like a wee laddie there.

An evil, twisted, cheating wee laddie. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
05-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Ah - he looks like a wee laddie there.

An evil, twisted, cheating wee laddie. :greengrin

Indeed. The devil as a youth :greengrin

hibsbollah
06-02-2013, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=Jonnyboy;3497222]

Here's another belter

Unbelievable decision to demand a retake of that pen. If that doesnt make you suspicious of what Clark was all about nothing will. Espevially when you see what he lets Klos get away with in the Rangers semi a few years later. If Klos had come off his line anymore he could have shaken hands with OConnor.

brog
06-02-2013, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=Doddie;3497531]

T'was Kenny Clark Doddie

Definitely the first pen, B :agree:

Thanks guys for all the good responses, I was convinced it was our last pen! Still thought it hit near junction of bar & post though but I was 100 yards away in the shed!
I did have a very drunken conversation with Billy Bremner about that game & his performance after Gordon Hunter's testimonial dinner. I should say that ( unusually! ) Billy B was far more inebriated. He said that Leeds whole focus that season was on winning the league & really didn't care about the UEFA cup. As a result he played with freedom & did things he wouldn't otherwise have done, such as his dribbling ball off the goal line. He wasn't putting Hibs down, he freely admitted we deserved to win. Made it all the more galling for me though hearing these things about 25 years later!!

brog
06-02-2013, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=Jonnyboy;3497222]

Here's another belter

An absolutely incredible decision. If you watch again you can see Leighton before Shearer takes the pen responding to something Clark has said, presumably a reminder not to move. It would seem Clark had made his mind up to order a retake ( if necessary ) before the pen was taken. That decision's up there with his booking of Keith for diving in the LC final.