PDA

View Full Version : 7 years ago today........

lyonhibs
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm sure Hibs Historical Trust will be along in a minute to tick me off for stealing their thunder, but 7 years ago today I enjoyed one of my top 3 away days as a Hibs fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLV-DCTD2OA

Just brilliant. Fantastic away support taking over Ibrox for the day.

Especially vivid memories:

a) A disallowed goal for them was such a shock to the system that the scoreboard displayed them as 1 up for about 5 minutes after the decision
b) Worrying - slightly - for my life as the Broomloan literally shook to the Hibees Bounce
c) I went on my tod, and was sat next to a wifie and her bairn. Thought I'd have to bite my tongue the whole game. Had nothing to fear, as the Mum was one of the most gloriously foul mouthed people I've ever seen at a match. Also frequently came out with the classic, whenever a call was rightly given against Hibs, of saying "Oh come on ref FFS, that wasn't his fault"
d) Taking a wrong turn - somehow - when walking back to the tube station, meaning I was walking back against the flow as their effluent supporters emptied out. One of them actually said to me "well played, now go and win the thing", and we all know how that turned out. Wearing a Hibs top and a beaming smile in the tube queue was hilarious. All the more so when I saw a Hun bawsack who had - until 4th year - been a good mate at school before he decided he was too "cool" for us. Look on his perma-gurning puss was beautiful.

Captain Trips
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
What I enjoyed about that first goal was the ball and Ian Murray getting battered into the goal.

#FromTheCapital
04-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Geez 7 years ago, making me feel old, remember watching this game in a pub in rose street, sure it was an early kick off on a saturday and that day ended up being really messy. Good times! Shame about what happened later in the competition though! Was this Garry O'Connors last game for us before he went to Russia the first time?

lyonhibs
04-02-2013, 01:16 PM
What I enjoyed about that first goal was the ball and Ian Murray getting battered into the goal.

Wasn't this the day we managed to make him snap and he flicked us the vickies? Liked him when he came back mind, but loved noising him up on that day.

Captain Trips
04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Wasn't this the day we managed to make him snap and he flicked us the vickies? Liked him when he came back mind, but loved noising him up on that day.

Not sure it was that game actually.

DarrenSQH
04-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Nope that was the Ivan day.

Captain Trips
04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Nope that was the Ivan day.

There are that many 3-0 gubbings its easy to lose track. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Gary O'Connor had a great chance to make it 4 as well but was denied by a good save by Wattereus. Simon Brown also made an abolutely stunning save from Bob Malcolm at 0-0.

I actually remember us being pretty poor in the 1st half and we lost Kevin Thomson early door to injury. Mikeu Stewart came on and was very good then Scott Brown blowing kisses and mimicking a dive as he played on with a broken bone in his leg! Sadly those injuries cost us our chance in the semi v them.

Mister P
04-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I love Ivan. The man is so passionate. Gutted it never really took off for him this time round.

Hibee Ryan
04-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Favourite moment that day was when O'Connor or Killen jumped onto the advertising board in front of us, he was about 10 yards in front of me truly awesome! Other great moment was the keeper getting booked for not moving the ball back far enough for a free-kick which was the just the cherry on the cake!

OH AND the scoreboard got stuck saying "GOAL HIBS" after the third was just great seeing that repeatedly scrolling across! One of my favourite away days and I want more like them soon :greengrin

PatHead
04-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Great memories. The whole stand bouncing singing "We are the people" was superb.

jodjam
04-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Was my lads first visit to greyskull. A great day out spoiled when the car packed in on way home

HibeeN
04-02-2013, 02:32 PM
I remember being desperate to go to this but having nobody to go with. And Ibrox wasn't a place for a 15-year-old girl to go by herself! So ended up watching it on Sky and being simultaneously ecstatic with the result and gutted that I wasn't there. A very big regret, looking back on it. :agree:

Johnny Clash
04-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm sure Hibs Historical Trust will be along in a minute to tick me off for stealing their thunder, but 7 years ago today I enjoyed one of my top 3 away days as a Hibs fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLV-DCTD2OA

Just brilliant. Fantastic away support taking over Ibrox for the day.

Especially vivid memories:

a) A disallowed goal for them was such a shock to the system that the scoreboard displayed them as 1 up for about 5 minutes after the decision
b) Worrying - slightly - for my life as the Broomloan literally shook to the Hibees Bounce
c) I went on my tod, and was sat next to a wifie and her bairn. Thought I'd have to bite my tongue the whole game. Had nothing to fear, as the Mum was one of the most gloriously foul mouthed people I've ever seen at a match. Also frequently came out with the classic, whenever a call was rightly given against Hibs, of saying "Oh come on ref FFS, that wasn't his fault"
d) Taking a wrong turn - somehow - when walking back to the tube station, meaning I was walking back against the flow as their effluent supporters emptied out. One of them actually said to me "well played, now go and win the thing", and we all know how that turned out. Wearing a Hibs top and a beaming smile in the tube queue was hilarious. All the more so when I saw a Hun bawsack who had - until 4th year - been a good mate at school before he decided he was too "cool" for us. Look on his perma-gurning puss was beautiful.

I just came across a DVD of the entire game that my mate recorded for me coz I was at the game! So I started watching it at 3pm - I know that's sad but there you go!

41 mins gone and it's still 0-0 but all you can hear is the Hibs choir behind the goal!!!

'mon the cabbage !

hibsbollah
04-02-2013, 02:48 PM
I think I enjoyed this even more than the 6-2. Just a legendary game to be at.

Most of the highlights have been mentioned. Ivan's amazing finish,:not worth O'Connor leaping towards us. :not worthSinging We arra peeple. Killers cool finish and knowing there was no way back for them. The whole broom loan shaking up and down to 7500 Hibby feet. Walking up to the stadium just before kickoff and hearing nothing but Hibs songs from about a mile away:not worth Simons Browns unbelievable save, forgotten by most. We were totally under the cosh first half, which made it all the sweeter. I drove through on my own so I was also sober and remember it extra clearly:greengrin

danhibees1875
04-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Great game. :thumbsup:

Remember being in a Celtic themed boozer (Tall cranes?) just 10 mins or so from Ibrox - place was dead obviously.
Thousands of Hibs fans inside Ibrox going absolutly mental as we ran riot again. :flag:

Punched the glasses clean off my Dad's face celebrating GO'Cs goal! :greengrin

marinello59
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Seven years? Wow, that went quickly. That easily my favourite away day.

jonty
04-02-2013, 03:02 PM
0:54, 1:07, 2:07
Famous :greengrin

Brilliant day - have a picture of Garry O celebrating, with us in the background, framed and hung in the hall along with the match ticket. :thumbsup:

HibeeN
04-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Also, that Ivan Sproule eh? Talk about not being able to deliver a good ball into the box :greengrin

My_Wife_Camille
04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Gary O'Connor had a great chance to make it 4 as well but was denied by a good save by Wattereus. Simon Brown also made an abolutely stunning save from Bob Malcolm at 0-0.

I actually remember us being pretty poor in the 1st half and we lost Kevin Thomson early door to injury. Mikeu Stewart came on and was very good then Scott Brown blowing kisses and mimicking a dive as he played on with a broken bone in his leg! Sadly those injuries cost us our chance in the semi v them.
O'Connors chance, Browns save and Scotts gestures were the three things I was going to mention too. A brilliant day, brilliant crownd and a brilliant result.

brog
04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
I was at the bar known as The Lodge in Pebble Beach GC in California having been awake since 4.30 & getting reports on game. I was chatting to the barman, a really good guy when he said some Scottish guys who played there were Rangers fans who went over every year for the Cup Final. I bought him a drink & told him to get a drink from them as Hibs had saved them a whole heap of cash!
You wait 100 years for a 3-0 then they come along twice in one season.
Mind you i've still not forgiven RP for selling GOC after the window had closed!

Jonnyboy
04-02-2013, 08:22 PM
0:54, 1:07, 2:07
Famous :greengrin

Brilliant day - have a picture of Garry O celebrating, with us in the background, framed and hung in the hall along with the match ticket. :thumbsup:

Aye, you and a few other 'weel kent faces' from here giving it laldy in the front row :greengrin

Fergus52
04-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Was my lads first visit to greyskull. A great day out spoiled when the car packed in on way home

Similiar thing happened to us, was my first trip to ibrox.

When we went back to the car after the game it had been towed, and to get to the compound we had to walk past all the huns demonstrating against Mcleish outside of the main stand.

Such a great feeling walking smugly in the sunshine, trying to hide my grin and my hibs top under my jacket.

Seveno
04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
It was all the better for all 3 goals being scored right in front of us. I can also remember having no problem getting away from Greyskull as all the Huns were long gone.

Capt Mainwaring
04-02-2013, 09:33 PM
What about Andy Cameron on the pitch before kick off to announce the Rangers team and sing a couple of songs and getting drowned out by the noise of boos and whistles from the Hibs support. He was sooooo p1ssed off at not being able to carry on! Set the scene for the game and we never shut up all afternoon.

Happy days:greengrin

PatHead
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
At half time Ladbrokes were giving odds of something like 100/1 on Hibs winning 3-0. The boy behind me stuck a tenner on it. Very late in the game someone (I think Killen) was clean through. The boy was shouting "Miss ya cant" seeing his money going up in smoke. After the miss he was dancing around going mad. Quality moment.

Also remember their ends were empty apart from a really big fat hun (are there any other kind?) around the half way line standing screaming at us.

If Carlsberg did away games.

Diclonius
04-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Favourite moment that day was when O'Connor or Killen jumped onto the advertising board in front of us, he was about 10 yards in front of me truly awesome! Other great moment was the keeper getting booked for not moving the ball back far enough for a free-kick which was the just the cherry on the cake!

OH AND the scoreboard got stuck saying "GOAL HIBS" after the third was just great seeing that repeatedly scrolling across! One of my favourite away days and I want more like them soon :greengrin

Wasn't that the game at Easter Road when they beat us 3-0?