PDA

View Full Version : East v west

Miguel
03-02-2013, 11:40 PM
How true is it any more that Hibs draw most support from east and Hearts from west Edinburgh? I'm in east Edinburgh and my street is probably 2-1 Hibs.
Grew up in Niddrie in 60s and 70s and iirc the proportions were probably same, I think because areas like that and Lochend got the 'Irish' they cleared out the old town in the 30s.
Any thoughts?

Hibee Ryan
04-02-2013, 12:00 AM
How true is it any more that Hibs draw most support from east and Hearts from west Edinburgh? I'm in east Edinburgh and my street is probably 2-1 Hibs.
Grew up in Niddrie in 60s and 70s and iirc the proportions were probably same, I think because areas like that and Lochend got the 'Irish' they cleared out the old town in the 30s.
Any thoughts?

Still think it's like that, I go to Firrhill which is in the west and most are Hearts fans. There's only about 10 hibs fans in my whole year at a push! But if you go to places like Musselbrough, Lochend and Leith (obviously) you'll have the same situation in schools like that!

It takes me about 5 minutes to walk to Tynecastle but about a 40 minute bus journey to get to Easter Road but I wouldn't trade that bus journey for anything! I enjoy supporting Hibs more when I'm in the minority it's great! I don't think there is a major difference in the size of the Hibs and Hearts supports though! Hibs attendances will be bigger when we're doing well and since they're doing better recently their attendances are bigger. I expect Hearts attendances to drop drastically in the next 2 seasons as they'll start to lose a lot more games and generally get worse and we'll be the "big team" then :wink:

Bishop Hibee
04-02-2013, 12:10 AM
I've always seen Hibs supporters in the majority in north and east Edinburgh and Hearts in west and south Edinburgh. Where Hearts gain the slightly bigger support is from having more fans in West and Midlothian whereas we have more in East Lothian. A generalisation but unless someone does a postcode comparison of ST holders from both clubs I'd say from my experience that it"s fairly sound :tin hat:

jane_says
04-02-2013, 12:40 AM
I grew up in Oxgangs so more west than east and there were 2 hibbies in my year. Probably 80 or 90 J****s. Left school the year Mowbray took over and we started doing well again. Gutting.

JohnStephens91
04-02-2013, 01:13 AM
I've always seen Hibs supporters in the majority in north and east Edinburgh and Hearts in west and south Edinburgh. Where Hearts gain the slightly bigger support is from having more fans in West and Midlothian whereas we have more in East Lothian. A generalisation but unless someone does a postcode comparison of ST holders from both clubs I'd say from my experience that it"s fairly sound :tin hat:

I'd agree with that, although West Lothian is predominantly The Rangers FC 2012 country and Hibs have a fair few fans in the area too, probably evenly split there for Edinburgh teams. Most of Midlothian is predominantly Hearts, towns like Penicuik and Bonnyrigg are crawling with Yams :jamboak:

monktonharp
04-02-2013, 02:27 AM
ma wee street is 95% Hibernians. no doubt about that, and the 5% jambos never go to games. EAST.

Brizo
04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Any thoughts?

The Inch and Gilmerton also had the same factor you describe for Niddrie and Lochend. I think nowadays people are far less tied to areas or parts of the town than maybe they were generations ago so you will find Hibs and them all over the city. However generally I think theres still an east/west split and theres still areas I view as them ie Oxgangs and areas I view as us ie Lochend.

MSK
04-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Any thoughts?I grew up in Bingham & would say hibs fans prob edged it from hearts ..with a smattering of rangers & celtic ...I lived in Stenhouse for 10 years & surprisingly my street (the Crescent) was full of hibbies with only a couple of jambos ..

Mark79
04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
I was joppa and went to porty. Probably more hearts supporters in my opinion when I was at school in mid 90s

jodjam
04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Grew up in drylaw. Def seemed a lot more of them than us

JHFC
04-02-2013, 07:46 PM
only know a handful of hibs fans in my area and im from the west

hungryhibs
04-02-2013, 07:57 PM
well in ma street we have a good 10/15 that are hibs a taxi driver behind me is a dirty jambo then there is celtic and rangers the rest 1 of the big neil will tell u more as hes the one that has the partys with the hibs songs blasting so everyone can hear them :hibees

Miguel
05-02-2013, 12:04 AM
well in ma street we have a good 10/15 that are hibs a taxi driver behind me is a dirty jambo then there is celtic and rangers the rest 1 of the big neil will tell u more as hes the one that has the partys with the hibs songs blasting so everyone can hear them :hibees

I used to work beside a Hibboe who grew up in Gorgie and went to Tynie High. He was a lonely man, but a resolute one...

Russell The Dug
05-02-2013, 12:12 AM
The Inch and Gilmerton also had the same factor you describe for Niddrie and Lochend. I think nowadays people are far less tied to areas or parts of the town than maybe they were generations ago so you will find Hibs and them all over the city. However generally I think theres still an east/west split and theres still areas I view as them ie Oxgangs and areas I view as us ie Lochend.

Inch is hibs then soap dodgers hardly any Jambos here. Even boys that liked hearts are hibees now.

EdinMike
05-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Born and raised in Sighthill and I assume it's still staunch Jambo territory there and in the surrounding area's. I knew a few other Hibbies as a kid, then one changed to a Jambo...

frazeHFC
05-02-2013, 01:05 AM
There were 2 other Hibees in my whole year at High School in Queensferry, loads of yams, was horrific! Lots of Hibs fans in Queensferry but think i got a very unlucky year. :eek:

edinburghhibee
05-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Born and raised in Sighthill and I assume it's still staunch Jambo territory there and in the surrounding area's. I knew a few other Hibbies as a kid, then one changed to a Jambo...

Aye still plenty of them in there but I think we are getting a wee foothold. Sometimes nip into the bowling club after hibs games and if hearts lose there's a dramatic decrease in yams in there... To be fair to the ones that go in they're a decent bunch

Diclonius
05-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Born in Longstone which is pretty much all Hearts as far as I'm aware, though I grew up far away from Edinburgh. The very first house I lived in is now next door to the Longstone Hearts SC. :bitchy:

hibby67
05-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Grew up in drylaw. Def seemed a lot more of them than us

GOT TO AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT DRYLAW ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS FULL OF JAMBOS I'M SURE THERE WAS A DRYLAW HEARTS SUPPORTERS BUS
YET I GREW UP JUST DOWN THE ROAD AT WEST GRANTON AND MORE HIBBYS HERE AND IN WEST PILTON AND WE HAD THE GRANTON TRAVEL......:greengrin

NOW LIVING IN EAST LOTHIAN AND THERE SEEMS TO BE MORE HIBS THAN HEARTS BUT UNFORTUNATELY I THINK BOTH THE UGLY SISTERS OUT NUMBER BOTH OF US

London Hibs FC
05-02-2013, 02:02 PM
I was joppa and went to porty. Probably more hearts supporters in my opinion when I was at school in mid 90s

I find that hard to get my head around, not that I'm doubting you for one second I might add, as there were perhaps a dozen or so Jambos at the whole of Porty High when I was there!

Hibby Bairn
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I "coach" a primary 7 school football team in the north west of the city and we have 9 boys that play.

8 are hibbies and 1 is a hun. Working on him though :greengrin.

And no it isn't a biased selection policy. Not a maroon top in sight.

capitals_finest
06-02-2013, 12:08 AM

Would agree about the north and south.

I have always lived in the north and think its fair to say Stockbridge, Craigleith, Muirhouse, Pilton, Granton and Silverknowes are good hibby strongholds.

Keith_M
06-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I wish I'd bookmarked it but I remember reading a link in an article online that showed that Edinburgh had the most distinct geographical division of football supporters of any city in Britain. That considered the division to be roughly East to West.

I agree as well with the difference in levels of support between Mid and East Lothian. Having lived in both, I always found it quite marked how many more Yams there were in Midlothian and Hibbies in East Lothian. I'm not saying there weren't more/less OF fans, just the difference in proportions of people supporting both Edinburgh clubs.

Ross4356
06-02-2013, 01:08 PM

Your on the wind up mate, far far more Hibs fans down that way, I grew up in the Jewel in the 90's.

Just wondering if the catholic/prodestant thing makes a difference, I went to Holy Rood and they was hardly any Jambo's and not many huns in my School although that is in East Edinburgh

Miguel
06-02-2013, 06:57 PM
I wish I'd bookmarked it but I remember reading a link in an article online that showed that Edinburgh had the most distinct geographical division of football supporters of any city in Britain. That considered the division to be roughly East to West.

I agree as well with the difference in levels of support between Mid and East Lothian. Having lived in both, I always found it quite marked how many more Yams there were in Midlothian and Hibbies in East Lothian. I'm not saying there weren't more/less OF fans, just the difference in proportions of people supporting both Edinburgh clubs.

I think you're right. I can't think of another city, aside from London, where that is the case. It's roughly easy and north plays west and south between Hibs and Hearts as far as I can make out.

Miguel
06-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Your on the wind up mate, far far more Hibs fans down that way, I grew up in the Jewel in the 90's.

Just wondering if the catholic/prodestant thing makes a difference, I went to Holy Rood and they was hardly any Jambo's and not many huns in my School although that is in East Edinburgh

I went Holyrood too. There were two of them in my year. I didn't see either of them until seven years after I left, but bumped into one during a certain night in May, 1986...

Scouse Hibee
06-02-2013, 07:28 PM
No Jambo's in my school or Hibees either :greengrin There are however several Hibees that I know of in my local area of North Gyle. My laddie tells me that Craigmount School is a Jambo stronghold.

heretoday
06-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Lots of Hibbies in Corstorphine and Clermiston.

hungryhibs
06-02-2013, 10:08 PM

a mind playing football with u at the bus stop am sure u had a rangers top with your mate whitey :na na::greengrin

clerriehibs
06-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Always were - originally because when clermiston went up,many that moved in were from the leith tenememts that were bulldozed.

Rodsterino
06-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Grew up in Stockbridge early 70's, didn't know any yams.

ScottB
06-02-2013, 10:27 PM
I'd agree with that, although West Lothian is predominantly The Rangers FC 2012 country and Hibs have a fair few fans in the area too, probably evenly split there for Edinburgh teams. Most of Midlothian is predominantly Hearts, towns like Penicuik and Bonnyrigg are crawling with Yams :jamboak:

I dunno, I grew up in Penicuik and it was probably half and half. Indeed at school one class was basically entirely Hibs and the other was Hearts...

FranckSuzy
06-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Still think it's like that, I go to Firrhill which is in the west and most are Hearts fans. There's only about 10 hibs fans in my whole year at a push! But if you go to places like Musselbrough, Lochend and Leith (obviously) you'll have the same situation in schools like that!

It takes me about 5 minutes to walk to Tynecastle but about a 40 minute bus journey to get to Easter Road but I wouldn't trade that bus journey for anything! I enjoy supporting Hibs more when I'm in the minority it's great! I don't think there is a major difference in the size of the Hibs and Hearts supports though! Hibs attendances will be bigger when we're doing well and since they're doing better recently their attendances are bigger. I expect Hearts attendances to drop drastically in the next 2 seasons as they'll start to lose a lot more games and generally get worse and we'll be the "big team" then :wink:

I grew up in Oxgangs so more west than east and there were 2 hibbies in my year. Probably 80 or 90 J****s. Left school the year Mowbray took over and we started doing well again. Gutting.

I went to Firrhill too and you're lucky if there were 10 Hibbies in the whole school until the CCS 'era'. Then the school and Oxgangs was over-run with 'Hibs boys' who have previously been staunch Jambo's :rolleyes:. I can still remember the 'real' Hibs fans tho', including a balding loud person on here (although he claims not to remember me :tee hee:)

darwenhibby
06-02-2013, 11:25 PM

Lived in corrie / forrrie area when I was back in Edinburgh, always felt a good contingent if hibbies there. Down here in Darwen we outnumber the jambos 6:2

lucky
07-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Grew up in Stockbridge/broughton area where most were Hibs, then the Huns followed by them with hardly any Celtic.

Now live in West Lothian. Which is massively dominated by the Huns, then them ,then Hibs/Celtic together

allezsauzee
07-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Went to Forrester in 80s. While there were definitely more yams than Hibbies, we were a fairly sizeable minority

drifter533814
07-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Used to live in mountcastle, there were always more hibbies there, live in craigmillar now and I have noticed an increase in hibs fans here. Also I was at porty high school till about 93 and there were plenty of hibbies there then, a lot of aberdeen fans as well.

ColintonHibs
07-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Pretty sure I'm the only hibby in Colinton haha FTH :flag:

Gatecrasher
07-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Grew up in Stockbridge/broughton area where most were Hibs, then the Huns followed by them with hardly any Celtic.

Now live in West Lothian. Which is massively dominated by the Huns, then them ,then Hibs/Celtic together

grew up and still live in livi where the vast majority are Old Firm about even with us and them and then a few "Others". I know loads of hibees from West Lothian.

vein
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM

I find that hard to get my head around, not that I'm doubting you for one second I might add, as there were perhaps a dozen or so Jambos at the whole of Porty High when I was there!

Sauzee 4 is right enough, I'm assuming from their age they were the year above me. I was thinking about it earlier and I couldnt think of any other Hibbies in my registration class but lots of Jambos. Given that I was at school during their 22 in a row I remember it being pretty brutal the Monday after a derby (regardless of a lucky draw to continue the run!). I did manage to turn one of said Jambos into a Hibby though! He is now a ST holder and I dont really go to the games anymore, a total role reversal!

On the plus side though I coach my sons primary school football team and out of 11 kids, 8 are definitley Hibbys and I'm yet to see a Hearts top or The Rangers top at training :thumbsup: (I'll excuse the one Celtic top, at least his Dad is from the west coast!)

aussie_hibee
07-02-2013, 01:21 PM
I went to Royston primary 84-91 and Broughton high 91-94 and although there quite a few jambos walking about in horrific full maroon, white and light blue shellsuits, we defo had the majority. They were still unbearable though.