PDA

View Full Version : Are we losing our fanbase?

Nomeancity
03-02-2013, 07:32 PM
My daughter couldn't make the game today due to flu so it left me with a spare ticket. I was also taking my 9 year old son so I asked him if he wanted to take a pal. Worryingly we went through a list of his pals and classmates and they are all rangers, Celtic or jambo fans - not one other hibby. Is this just a freak situation or are we losing our fanbase due to years of mediocrity?

Geo_1875
03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Your son just needs new friends.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Who are these Rangers you speak of?

MSK
03-02-2013, 07:47 PM
My daughter couldn't make the game today due to flu so it left me with a spare ticket. I was also taking my 9 year old son so I asked him if he wanted to take a pal. Worryingly we went through a list of his pals and classmates and they are all rangers, Celtic or jambo fans - not one other hibby. Is this just a freak situation or are we losing our fanbase due to years of mediocrity?Or bairns preferring tae stay hame playing their playstations ..?

Falkirk Hibby
03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
My daughter couldn't make the game today due to flu so it left me with a spare ticket. I was also taking my 9 year old son so I asked him if he wanted to take a pal. Worryingly we went through a list of his pals and classmates and they are all rangers, Celtic or jambo fans - not one other hibby. Is this just a freak situation or are we losing our fanbase due to years of mediocrity?

I think you need to change his school. The current one is obviously not Hibs Class! :greengrin

jabis
03-02-2013, 07:53 PM

you're daughter has the flu,and the first thing you want to do *thinks* " I must do my first(and only post on Hibs.net)"

LTYF

Sir David Gray
03-02-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm sure they'll all magically reappear if we happen to win another two Scottish Cup ties over the next couple of months.

inglisavhibs
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
The exact opposite I would say, my son teaches at Davie mains and a big percentage are Hibby's. Some of the performances this year would help people stay away though, a guy beside me in the East today went home at half time due to the awful first half. Missed a good second half even although it took our goalie to provide mst of the entertainment.

jabis
03-02-2013, 08:03 PM
you're daughter has the flu,and the first thing you want to do *thinks* " I must do my first(and only post on Hibs.net)"

LTYF

yeegads...it works :thumbsup:

Russell The Dug
03-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Of course we are. It's amazing being a super fan on here but reality is nobody wants to watch the pish we produce every week.

Abuse ahead I know, I still go every week though. Bash on prenteding it's all good tho.

Kids don't want to go because we're not man united, others are leaving because its been ***** for years. Instead of blaming folk and having a go on here acting like superfan we need to look at what we can do to get them back.

Killie in the quarters is the tam McManus match again, stadium nearly broke when wee Russell took the free kick in injury time.

I love hibs and I want the people I want back too.

Mikey
03-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Instead of blaming folk and having a go on here acting like superfan we need to look at what we can do to get them back.

C'mon then, let's be having your ideas for getting the fans back.

jabis
03-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Of course we are. It's amazing being a super fan on here but reality is nobody wants to watch the pish we produce every week.

Abuse ahead I know, I still go every week though. Bash on prenteding it's all good tho.

Kids don't want to go because we're not man united, others are leaving because its been ***** for years. Instead of blaming folk and having a go on here acting like superfan we need to look at what we can do to get them back.

Killie in the quarters is the tam McManus match again, stadium nearly broke when wee Russell took the free kick in injury time.

then stay away from ER,and stop spouting on message boards :confused:

'cos believe me if you're intension is to drum up support,you're deluded.

Russell The Dug
03-02-2013, 10:47 PM
then stay away from ER,and stop spouting on message boards :confused:

'cos believe me if you're intension is to drum up support,you're deluded.

How do you suggest we get the fans that have bolted back then! This isn't real life here mate

Hibee Ryan
03-02-2013, 10:54 PM

We won a cup in 2007.... I know it's 7 years ago but "years of mediocrity" what other team in the SPL isn't mediocre! I'd be looking at where you live and how big his class is.

However since you had no thought of going to the game I don't think your daughter having flu made any difference

Bye Bye :jamboid::lolyam:

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
How do you suggest we get the fans that have bolted back then! This isn't real life here mate

Of course its not real life??????????? Constant negativity breeds negativity, and eventually you start to believe the complete crap thats you are spouting.

As for getting fans back who have left, tell them constantly its sheite that should do it. :rolleyes:

gegs70
03-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Its not that I just think that at the moment hibs dont quite play exciting football so its tough to sell it to kids....you are competing with too many other things like xbox live etc.

gegs70
03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
I bet some of your sons friend dont go to many rangers or hearts games either.

Nomeancity
03-02-2013, 11:15 PM
We won a cup in 2007.... I know it's 7 years ago but "years of mediocrity" what other team in the SPL isn't mediocre! I'd be looking at where you live and how big his class is.

However since you had no thought of going to the game I don't think your daughter having flu made any difference

Ok I was wrong. As a hibs fan the last few years have been magic!!

Nomeancity
03-02-2013, 11:20 PM

I was at the game. Where did I say I didn't go

Pete
04-02-2013, 02:23 AM
I think there's exaggeration going on here but kids nowadays like to support English teams that play in the champions league rather than Scottish football teams. They have heard "It's crap" from too many Scottish adults who prefer to sit in front of their Sky TV on their fat erses.

Adults who "choose" to support these English teams are also reinforcing the idea that its OK to support a team that you have absolutely nothing to do with.
They use words like "It's a free country, you can support who you like" and "some teams will always be bigger" because it suits their glory-hunting. These teams have only become big because they have attracted glory-hunting fans and saying anything bad about glory hunters would simply invalidate their own reasons as well.

The amount of people who have long lost connections to the Eccles area of Manchester have now reached the same amount as those who's parents were born in the shadow of Ibrox or Parkhead.

McHibby
04-02-2013, 02:44 AM
I think there's exaggeration going on here but kids nowadays like to support English teams that play in the champions league rather than Scottish football teams. They have heard "It's crap" from too many Scottish adults who prefer to sit in front of their Sky TV on their fat erses.

Although there are loads of reasons for a declining fanbase, I think this is an important one. I am beginning to think kids don't know what it's like to support a team. That you do stand out in the cold, that many passages of play can be boring, that sometimes you are next to a boring old fart who hates loud noise, that the view from the stand is the only view (no 20+ replays).
The product offered by Sky is fancy and slick, with sexy football and superstars. You watch it in the nice, warm house and if the game is boring you can simply switch to another game. That is how far too many associate supporting football nowadays. Let's be honest, a 5-9 year old is hardly going to be able to take himself to a match - he needs an adult who attends games. But if his dad/uncle is a Sky affectionado then that is potentially a bairn who'll never go to a game and is lost to his local club.

joe breezy
04-02-2013, 05:48 AM

My mates a Liverpool fan and as we were watching he couldn't believe the empty seats saying why don't they just let kids in for £3 then?

The only argument against is the season ticket one or that our adult support increases so that the cheap kids tickets mean not enough spaces for adults and we're a long way off that

marinello59
04-02-2013, 07:08 AM

Reduce the prices. It's ALWAYS the only answer. :greengrin

Mikey
04-02-2013, 07:20 AM

Well as usual with that one, there isn't an answer forthcoming.

I was expecting reduced prices and more expensive players actually :greengrin

lord bunberry
04-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Every time I read one of your posts I can't quite work out what it is you want. Surely you don't think it would be a good idea to sack fenlon at this stage of the season. Currently we are up the right end of the league and in the quarterffinals of the cup so things are going pretty well. Do you think when you go to a game you are seeing something the rest of us aren't do you think I sat and watched that 1st half display and thought it was good entertainment of course I didn't but I'm prepared to be patient and hope fenlon can bring in the right players and make us more easy on the eye. You are obviously a passionate hibee I just don't know what you think the problem is or what the answer would be

IWasThere2016
04-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Building our fanbase - via very cheap kids' tickets - should have been a priority way before finishing the stadium (to a capacity we will never need). Alas the cart was put before the horse.

Oscar T Grouch
04-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Every time I read one of your posts I can't quite work out what it is you want. Surely you don't think it would be a good idea to sack fenlon at this stage of the season. Currently we are up the right end of the league and in the quarterffinals of the cup so things are going pretty well. Do you think when you go to a game you are seeing something the rest of us aren't do you think I sat and watched that 1st half display and thought it was good entertainment of course I didn't but I'm prepared to be patient and hope fenlon can bring in the right players and make us more easy on the eye. You are obviously a passionate hibee I just don't know what you think the problem is or what the answer would be

And breath, we need to show the finer uses of punctuation my friend :wink:

lord bunberry
04-02-2013, 08:31 AM
And breath, we need to show the finer uses of punctuation my friend :wink:

I was off school the day they taught punctuation

Hibrandenburg
04-02-2013, 09:16 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It can't be long now until around 400 000 football fans in our general area will be looking for a new club to support. Once they've been deloused and re-educated it should help fill some seats. The range of home baked half time snacks should improve as well.

Zazu62
04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I wonder how many hearts fans post on this board pretending to be hibs fans its an absolute joke we've just won an important cup game yet people post this pish, sniff sniff

blairwallace
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
to be honest I wouldn't base out fan base of a p5 class, I left high school in the summer and my year was majority hibs fans yet the year below had only a handful of hibbies, the rest mainly hearts fans. although I remember in 2006 when they won the cup a lot of people showed their true glory hunting colours so I suppose form does make an influence.

Mikey
04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I wonder how many hearts fans post on this board pretending to be hibs fans its an absolute joke we've just won an important cup game yet people post this pish, sniff sniff

Sadly the most vociferous Hibs critics are definitely Hibs fans.

clerriehibs
04-02-2013, 12:22 PM

LTYF

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

JustSimplyHibs
04-02-2013, 12:38 PM

Eastern European marketing flyers and offers, they are an integral part of the Leith fabric now, however never ever saw my club go out and get their custom :wink:

Comfy armchair seats (must be heated) is another along with internet access so we can debate on Hibs.net, is a must :greengrin

Also a direct bus service that the club must provide (free of charge) which involves picking and dropping fans of at their doorstep. First though the club must hire personal assistants for everyone (well non ST holders :wink:) that will wash us, dress us and more importantly put that free pie and bovril ticket in our pocket before we even get on the bus. :cb

I think it will work!!!

Fergus52
04-02-2013, 12:51 PM

I'm curious about this also

jabis
04-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

profound.

either that, or Sesame Street finally got to the letter Z.

Brizo
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM

Where is your kids primary school ? I would be surprised if there was an Embra primary class or street in Embra with no Hibbies in it. Your username suggests a weedgie connection.... maybe theres no hibbies in his class because his classrooms in Glasgow :greengrin

Our fanbase has always fluctuated in my lifetime. I can remember regular 4000/5000 crowds late 70s/early 80s.

One of the things which boosted our fanbase in the noughties wasnt just the McLeish and Mowbray teams but the stadium rebuilding and the fact that so many more women and children were attending. When my kids were wee the lower FF was packed out with families. I know theres other family friendly areas now but the lower FF looks half empty. Kids generally want to follow what their pals are doing. If its the thing to go to the fitba theyll pester their parents to take them. if its not the cool thing to do they wont.

Nomeancity
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Where is your kids primary school ? I would be surprised if there was an Embra primary class or street in Embra with no Hibbies in it. Your username suggests a weedgie connection.... maybe theres no hibbies in his class because his classrooms in Glasgow :greengrin

Our fanbase has always fluctuated in my lifetime. I can remember regular 4000/5000 crowds late 70s/early 80s.

One of the things which boosted our fanbase in the noughties wasnt just the McLeish and Mowbray teams but the stadium rebuilding and the fact that so many more women and children were attending. When my kids were wee the lower FF was packed out with families. I know theres other family friendly areas now but the lower FF looks half empty. Kids generally want to follow what their pals are doing. If its the thing to go to the fitba theyll pester their parents to take them. if its not the cool thing to do they wont.

Newtongrange. And the nomeancity is my favourite Nazareth album(although admittedly the album was named after the book which was set in weedgie land)

for the uninitiated Nazareth are from Dunfermline and were a huge band around the same time hibs were huge - early 70's.

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Newtongrange. And the nomeancity is my favourite Nazareth album(although admittedly the album was named after the book which was set in weedgie land)

for the uninitiated Nazareth are from Dunfermline and were a huge band around the same time hibs were huge - early 70's.

Saw Nazereth in Edinburgh around 77/78, forget the name of the place, it was along past the bridges somewhere? We'd had a couple, and i fell asleep during it. :greengrin

I do like some of their stuff though. :wink:

Nomeancity
04-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Saw Nazereth in Edinburgh around 77/78, forget the name of the place, it was along past the bridges somewhere? We'd had a couple, and i fell asleep during it. :greengrin

I do like some of their stuff though. :wink:

That would probably have been the odeon. I would have been there, used to go to every gig, can't remember seeing anybody sleeping though!!!!

Russell The Dug
04-02-2013, 09:08 PM

I don't mate. I don't think he's doing as good a job as others do tho. Out midfield is gash going forward there seems to be no plan going forward.

All I want is a plan. A plan from pat, a plan when playing, we where outrageously lucky yesterday I want a manager brining in players with a plan to what he wants in the future. Our best players are loan players Big Ben.

What direction is the club going and the board taking us? Since 2007 it's been complete *****. No wonder John Collins left. Since then on here it's always the " back the board, manager" chat. Selling the players meant right now we were meant to be seing the benefits now. Instead hearts at Mirren Killie Aberdeen And Dundee Utd all are bringing through players and we are not.

We have no direction as a club and I don't think the manager it board know what they are doing. Ill still go every week tho. But I won't pretend whist watching more and more walk away that it's good tho.

Football is ***** just now.

VickMackie
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Building our fanbase - via very cheap kids' tickets - should have been a priority way before finishing the stadium (to a capacity we will never need). Alas the cart was put before the horse.

Free tickets is the only way. Not reduced.

Under 16, possibly up to 18, go free.

Those 12 or older can attend without an adult.

We'll see a reduction in the next 20, 30 or 40 years, when most pre tv audiences start to die off or get too old, across most run of the mill clubs and all we'll be left with is super clubs and a lot of dross fighting it out at jack Kane.

lord bunberry
05-02-2013, 07:07 AM
I don't mate. I don't think he's doing as good a job as others do tho. Out midfield is gash going forward there seems to be no plan going forward.

All I want is a plan. A plan from pat, a plan when playing, we where outrageously lucky yesterday I want a manager brining in players with a plan to what he wants in the future. Our best players are loan players Big Ben.

What direction is the club going and the board taking us? Since 2007 it's been complete *****. No wonder John Collins left. Since then on here it's always the " back the board, manager" chat. Selling the players meant right now we were meant to be seing the benefits now. Instead hearts at Mirren Killie Aberdeen And Dundee Utd all are bringing through players and we are not.

We have no direction as a club and I don't think the manager it board know what they are doing. Ill still go every week tho. But I won't pretend whist watching more and more walk away that it's good tho.

I agree we have been a mess for the last few years but I think you are being very harsh on pat fenlon. To say he doesn't have a plan is a strange one as to me his plan seems very clear its to make us tougher and more competitive in matches. Lots of people on here keep saying were lucky when we win but we can't always be lucky. Your main problem seems to be our style of play and I agree at times its not great to watch but I would hope that's something that will be addressed for next season. As for bringing through young players you can't blame the manager for that but again I would hope its something he would be looking at as lets face it the way things are going its going to be the only way to bring in new faces. I'm not saying fenlon is going to be a success or he is going to have us playing great football but I think we need to get this season out of the way first

leithsansiro
05-02-2013, 07:24 AM

This. I would love to take my 8 and 6 year old to at least a few games at ER, but it would cost me a fortune. However, my 8 year old goes along with me to watch our local EoS side Preston Athletic, trying to instill a good ethic about football being local into him. That said, he did worryingly ask me the other day who my "other Scottish team" were because his pal likes Hearts and Celtic? :confused:

WTF is that all about?

killie-hibby
05-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Ben Williams is not on loan.