PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon - outstanding today

AlbertK86
03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
I've not been Hanlons biggest fan over the last year and a half but thought he was magnificent today.

He won nearly every header and tackle and only made one mistake out on the west touch line.

If it hasn't been for Big Ben then he would have been my MOM

Credit where it's due ... Well done and keep it up son

GGTTH

S.sct
03-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Totally agree, one missed tackle (as far as i can remember) but good effort PH.

J-C
03-02-2013, 08:03 PM
I've not been Hanlons biggest fan over the last year and a half but thought he was magnificent today.

He won nearly every header and tackle and only made one mistake out on the west touch line.

GGTTH

Same here, thought he was going to struggle to step up this season but credit to the lad, he's been very good this past few weeks.:thumbsup:

Craig_in_Prague
03-02-2013, 08:05 PM
We look pretty solid across the back and Hanlon has been very good and a consistent performer for us.
Wish he'd learn to roll the ball into a midfielder though, hoofs it long too often for my liking. Sometimes try and put Sparky in yes, but dont launch it nearly everytime you have the baw!

ronaldo7
03-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Had a great game today with the one mistake late on. Well done Paul, keep that level of consistency and you're on the right track.

Jonnyboy
03-02-2013, 08:06 PM

GGTTH

Cannae add anything top that. Spot on :thumbsup:

Also thought Maybury was excellent today

MSK
03-02-2013, 08:15 PM

Also thought Maybury was excellent today:agree:

hibs4thecup1988
03-02-2013, 08:16 PM
2 goals conceded in 5 games and PH has been at the heart of that

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Hanlon was immense today and thought maybury was very solid also

Sir David Gray
03-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Terrific performance by Hanlon today.

If it hadn't been for Ben Williams, he would have been the man of the match.

Heisenberg
03-02-2013, 11:09 PM
The most solid of our centre halfs this season IMO. Still has an odd poor moment here or there but he's improved hugely this season.

matty_f
03-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Great game from Hanlon today. Considering we have been under a lot of pressure in recent games, the defence have done remarkably well.

Ozyhibby
03-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Hanlon has improved big time in the last couple of months and so has our defensive record.
This is mostly down to us putting our three defensive midfielders into the defence as well. We are now harder to score against but it leaves Griffiths all alone up top and can be dreadful to watch.

GreenOnions
03-02-2013, 11:47 PM
I agree that Paul was very good today. I think thought that Claros edged him for best outfield player.

Hibee Ryan
03-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Always thought Hanlon would have a good season, reason? Every Wednesday I play fives at Saughton and every Wednesday he'd be out running during pre-season! He's committed, has the desire to get fit for this season and he's been outstanding!

He's benefited from having someone who'll take control of situations and give him instructions in McPake but he'll learn from McPake and eventually control the situations!

For me he's a future international as long as he keeps developing at his current level! Keep it up Paul
:flag::flag:

PatHead
03-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Think he will be like Fletch. Criticised by a large number of support and will go on to be a top player appreciated after he has gone.

Teuchter Hibbie
03-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Was it not Hanlon who gave away the pen? I wasn't sure who the guilty party was at the time and haven't yet seen the highlights.

PatHead
03-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Was it not Hanlon who gave away the pen? I wasn't sure who the guilty party was at the time and haven't yet seen the highlights.

McPake

Teuchter Hibbie
04-02-2013, 12:00 AM
McPake

Ah ok, cheers. in that case, agree with the general consensus that hanlon was solid today. maybury turned in a good shift too.

Saorsa
04-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Thread title says it all :top marks

PeeJay
04-02-2013, 07:26 AM

GGTTH

Feel you're mistaken with the "outstanding/magnificent" rating. He made two awful scholboyish errors today in the 2nd half both of which could/should have led to goals for Aberdeen. One was entirely his own stupidity, while the other was a problem McGivern initially caused, but Hanlon was unable to deal with, although he should have been. Not saying he didn't have a "decent" game, but magnificent seems far too excessive to me, particularly when I think of his ongoing inability to pass the ball forward to one of his own team mates (then again he's not alone in that, I guess).

We won - but Aberdeen were "unlucky" not to have scored several goals against us, if not for Williams - I do wonder if people would be posting that Hanlon had an oustanding game if we had been beaten? The euphory of a victory shouldn't cause us to lose sight of how poor we were overall yesterday for huge spells, as a team. Seems to me, Williams kept us in the cup on Sunday - he was outstanding: the only one in our team - IMO.

bawheid
04-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Feel you're mistaken with the "outstanding/magnificent" rating. He made two awful scholboyish errors today in the 2nd half both of which could/should have led to goals for Aberdeen. One was entirely his own stupidity, while the other was a problem McGivern initially caused, but Hanlon was unable to deal with, although he should have been. Not saying he didn't have a "decent" game, but magnificent seems far too excessive to me, particularly when I think of his ongoing inability to pass the ball forward to one of his own team mates (then again he's not alone in that, I guess).

We won - but Aberdeen were "unlucky" not to have scored several goals against us, if not for Williams - I do wonder if people would be posting that Hanlon had an oustanding game if we had been beaten? The euphory of a victory shouldn't cause us to lose sight of how poor we were overall yesterday for huge spells, as a team. Seems to me, Williams kept us in the cup on Sunday - he was outstanding: the only one in our team - IMO.

*sigh*

marinello59
04-02-2013, 08:05 AM

Heaven forbid we actually praise one of our players without pointing out every error he made as well. If he didn't make mistakes he would not be playing in the SPL. He had a superb game, surely all that really needs to be said by his supporters really.

The Falcon
04-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Also thought Maybury was excellent today

Isnt it refreshing to be talking about our defenders in a positive fashion? For the first time in many years our defence has a solid look about it and Fenlon appears to have sorted what his predecessors singularly, and repeatedly, failed to do. Given the shambles when he came in he deserves credit for that alone. Fenlon takes a bit of stick at times, some of it justified but most of it not.

PeeJay
04-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Heaven forbid we actually praise one of our players without pointing out every error he made as well. If he didn't make mistakes he would not be playing in the SPL. He had a superb game, surely all that really needs to be said by his supporters really.

Except he didn't have a "superb" game either IMO - I understand that the "feel good" factor of the win entices us to see things in a different light perhaps, but I'm not willing to pretend we were "outstanding" or "magnificent" as a team yesterday or - in Hanlon's case - as individuals (Williams apart). Nothing against praising our team, but I don't think much of going overboard when the evidence clearly doesn't support it...again in my opinion.

marinello59
04-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Except he didn't have a "superb" game either IMO - I understand that the "feel good" factor of the win entices us to see things in a different light perhaps, but I'm not willing to pretend we were "outstanding" or "magnificent" as a team yesterday or - in Hanlon's case - as individuals (Williams apart). Nothing against praising our team, but I don't think much of going overboard when the evidence clearly doesn't support it...again in my opinion.

I thought we played poorly as a team (particularly in the first half) but that the players individually could not be faulted for effort and commitment. They played as they were told to play but it was bloody dire to watch. Picking out Hanlons mistakes does seem churlish, feel good factor or not.
(I do have to admit to having feel good factor pouring out of me today but living up in Aberdeen after that result helps. :greengrin)

JollyGreenGiant
04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Always thought Hanlon would have a good season, reason? Every Wednesday I play fives at Saughton and every Wednesday he'd be out running during pre-season! He's committed, has the desire to get fit for this season and he's been outstanding!

He's benefited from having someone who'll take control of situations and give him instructions in McPake but he'll learn from McPake and eventually control the situations!

For me he's a future international as long as he keeps developing at his current level! Keep it up Paul
:flag::flag:

Totally agree about needing McPake or someone similar alongside him. Thought he had a great game yesterday, and even though McPake has been off his game a little recently, Hanlon plays so much better when McPake is next to him.

Hanlon made 1 mistake yesterday when he tried to cut out a pass and allowed the winger to run past him - when I watched the game later on TV I noticed he had chased back and actually blocked the shot.

MOM if not for Williams!

Saorsa
04-02-2013, 08:33 AM

Except he didn't have a "superb" game either IMO - I understand that the "feel good" factor of the win entices us to see things in a different light perhaps, but I'm not willing to pretend we were "outstanding" or "magnificent" as a team yesterday or - in Hanlon's case - as individuals (Williams apart). Nothing against praising our team, but I don't think much of going overboard when the evidence clearly doesn't support it...again in my opinion.Having read your posts, I've changed my mind now, he was absolutely rubbish. Can we close this thread now, we've had enough of this praising players nonsense. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I can understand a little what Peejay is saying, but a lot of what he said did not need to be said. I agree he was not outstanding, i'd say he was good, along with the rest of the back 4.

In fact most of the team were good, and Williams was outstanding. Paul Hanlon has improved this season, and he has cut out a lot of his negatives and is playing well regularly now.:top marks

PeeJay
04-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Having read your posts, I've changed my mind now, he was absolutely rubbish. Can we close this thread now, we've had enough of this praising players nonsense. :agree:

I actually wrote that he had a decent game, I just don't feel it was an outstanding/magnificent one (hence my reference to two "mistakes") - it's not the fact of praising the team, that's the issue here, it's the degree involved that I felt needed addressing. We should be more objective perhaps about yesterday's game, not get carried away, etc. .... and, I never said he was absolutely rubbish - so you can change your mind again, if you want ... :greengrin

Saorsa
04-02-2013, 08:55 AM
I actually wrote that he had a decent game, I just don't feel it was an outstanding/magnificent one (hence my reference to two "mistakes") - it's not the fact of praising the team, that's the issue here, it's the degree involved that I felt needed addressing. We should be more objective perhaps about yesterday's game, not get carried away, etc. .... and, I never said he was absolutely rubbish - so you can change your mind again, if you want ... :greengrin

:wink:

Heedersnvolleys
04-02-2013, 11:29 AM
For me Hanlon looks a lot more comfortable this season but I will go against the grain here and rather than it being McPake that has helped him I put it down McGivern. I say that because PH has looked shakey in the past when he has been pulled our wide to cover our poor LB's we had. Not so much this season!

I would also like to congratulate Maybury. Thought he was really solid. Also check out his reaction when Williams saved the pen. Good pro but most of all a winner! That's what I like about Clancey also same qualities. (IMO)

Fergus52
04-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Exactsame thing happens when we get beat though, everyone's opinion on the performance gets ridiculously more negative than it need be.

IndieHibby
04-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Pick the bones if out of this if you like.....

HANLON - TAKE A BOW SON!

He needs our support when he is playing well, and needs it when he is not. Criticism needs to be fair, granted, but i also needs to be balanced.

And boy, is there a lot of balancing needed in favour of PH - he has taken some awful grief on here in the past.

Even the best players make mistakes. So saying he wasn't "perfect" is churlish, to be polite...

Who cares whether people use the same words as you would?

It's the sentiment that counts!

:na na:

:greengrin
:flag:
:pfgwa:hibees:not worth:hnet:

:cb

worcesterhibby
04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Hanlon was excellent yesterday and we all have to realise that the team ethic has improved considerably since last season. This season when things are going well, they have gone very well...3-0 against Dundee, 4-0 against Motherwell, and when things have started to go wrong, we have been much, much harder to beat than last season. Yes at times we are too negative and the lack of attacking football can be boring, but last year we were crying out for a team with a bit of bite and backbone. We now have that.

Fenlons changing the team slowly into a much better team. we are in the middle of a difficult transition period and yet we are 4th in the league and in the 1/4 final of the cup...decent progress.

Seveno
04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Totally agree about needing McPake or someone similar alongside him. Thought he had a great game yesterday, and even though McPake has been off his game a little recently, Hanlon plays so much better when McPake is next to him.

Hanlon made 1 mistake yesterday when he tried to cut out a pass and allowed the winger to run past him - when I watched the game later on TV I noticed he had chased back and actually blocked the shot.

MOM if not for Williams!

Doesn't every CB need someone decent beside them. Before we signed McPake and the new full backs, he was getting pulled all over the place trying to cover for other players.

O'Rourke3
04-02-2013, 06:59 PM

MOM if not for Williams!
:hijack: The highlights didn't show it but did the Aberdeen player handle the ball before making the pass he missed on the wing. I thought so but was in the East.