PDA

View Full Version : Spoony

hugo boss
03-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Not his best game today he is a player i fully support when he has our strip on......but is he out of his depth in the spl? no pace,cant cross left maybury exposed at times today aswell...

SneakersO'Toole
03-02-2013, 07:30 PM
For the sake of his own career I think he needs to move on at the end of season.

He hasn't got enough in his locker for me. Not good enough and hugely inconsistent since breaking into the team a few years ago.

The Voice Of Reason
03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I cannot understand why Fenlon plays Wotherspoon - he is abysmal.

I thought maybury did well today - solid.

hugo boss
03-02-2013, 07:32 PM

I thought maybury did well today - solid. i agree with both of you he is playing for a new contract aswell but i dont think he has what it takes in this league!!!

Greendub
03-02-2013, 07:39 PM
He played well early on this season, what's changed ?

The_Sauz
03-02-2013, 07:39 PM
He did not even chase Deegan after he scored....8 other outfield players did :greengrin
I kept on hoping he was just off forum, but he just seems to have lost all belief in himself as a footballer!

Northernhibee
03-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Yet again we see the regulars laying into one of our players after a good result with the "not spl quality", "abysmal" type crap.

Yes he had a poor game today but we seen earlier in the season how good he can be if we back him and his confidence is running high.

Give it a ****ing rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSn0M4kaDa8

Northernhibee
03-02-2013, 07:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbZ3j5HQhE

cabbageandribs1875
03-02-2013, 07:42 PM
can't say what he was like in other performances, but he was abysmal today

HiBremian
03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Genuinely thought he looked ill today. Was much more alive early in the season, but seems to have lost something. Nutsy should investigate, the boy isn't right.

J-C
03-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I've tried to defend him but I think h';s one of these players who get to a certain level, then plateau out, a few good moves early this season but again, poor defensively and again going forward, needs to move on I think.

HibernianJK
03-02-2013, 07:45 PM
a horrible season last season, 5/6 good games at the start of the season and everyone thinks he's gods gift again. I don't know why he started today after a couple of bad game sand better options on the bench

hibbymick
03-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Yet again we see the regulars laying into one of our players after a good result with the "not spl quality", "abysmal" type crap.

Yes he had a poor game today but we seen earlier in the season how good he can be if we back him and his confidence is running high.

Give it a ****ing rest.

Any thoughts about his inconsistancy ? Earlier in the season he had one or two good games, but the season lasts a lot longer than that. This team cant afford to carry passengers who have a few good games a season.

KingFranck
03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Just remember if it hadnt been for Spoony theres a chance we wouldn't have even been in this round after his strike v the Jambos we'd have lost the replay if it had gone to one no doubt granted he had a mare today but can we not lay off having a go at our own players after winning today ?

LewisHFC
03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
He was excellent at right back during his first season. Why not go back there?

Northernhibee
03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
a horrible season last season, 5/6 good games at the start of the season and everyone thinks he's gods gift again

Aye, the lad is off form just now, but there are those of us who realise that there's a middle ground between "gods gift" and "not SPL quality" or "abysmal".

He's a solid SPL midfielder who needs our backing and needs his confidence back.

Squealing pig
03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
He can't defend he is better coming off the bench.

DaveF
03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Just remember if it hadnt been for Spoony theres a chance we wouldn't have even been in this round after his strike v the Jambos we'd have lost the replay if it had gone to one no doubt granted he had a mare today but can we not lay off having a go at our own players after winning today ?

He also laid on the goal for Griffiths in tne 1-1 draw against hearts earkier this season. BUT, he was poor today and looks totally out of sorts right now.

Www1875hfc
03-02-2013, 07:51 PM
I like Wotherspoon as a player, but today wasnt his best game in a Hibs shirt.
I thought his reaction was very disappointing as the rest of the players celebrated Deegan' goal.
Looked like he couldnt be ersed joining in.

Ah would have hooked him a lot earlier to be honest.

HibernianJK
03-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Aye, the lad is off form just now, but there are those of us who realise that there's a middle ground between "gods gift" and "not SPL quality" or "abysmal".

He's a solid SPL midfielder who needs our backing and needs his confidence back.

yes I do agree. he is by no stretch of the imagination an 'abysmal' player. I've always felt he plays better when coming on in games. I imagine he will find it hard to get a regular place now done and Robertson are here

Northernhibee
03-02-2013, 07:54 PM
yes I do agree. he is by no stretch of the imagination an 'abysmal' player. I've always felt he plays better when coming on in games. I imagine he will find it hard to get a regular place now done and Robertson are here

Yep, a bit of competition should do the lad good.

Macaroon
03-02-2013, 07:56 PM

He is shockingly bad at defending, there is no danger any manager would pick him at full back over Clancy or Maybury. His only strengths are in attack.

He is terribly inconsistent but when he decides to play he is definitely one of our key players. Lets not forget his great play to set up Griffiths in the 1-1 derby. His goal against Hearts in the 1-0 derby. His fabulous strike's against Motherwell, Dundee and Inverness this season. There is no doubt that the quality is there, however accessing it on a consistent (or at least more consistent) basis is so important if he want's to be starting games ahead of Handling/Done/Doyle.

S4uzee
His reaction to Deegans goal was shocking

AlbertK86

No way is he solid ... Cannae tackle cannae run back and help and head is constantly down

He is very much a confidence player ... And that ain't there just now

Can go past his man when he puts his mind to it but doing that once every 6 or 7 games is not on.

Was abysmal today and as pointed out by ma laddie at the game and by an earlier post he was the only outfield player not involved in celebrating Deegans fantastic goal

Brooster
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
That's the game. Lets rip into the young guy after a great Scottish cup win. Pathetic.

Hibbysince1974
03-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I thought he looked lethargic today. Maybe too much of his mum's baking after lunch? But getting on his back won't help - it's clear that he is very much a player who needs the crowd behind him.

The consensus on the player ratings thread is correct - Maybury did well for us on the right, thankfully.

Northernhibee
03-02-2013, 07:58 PM
No way is he solid ... Cannae tackle cannae run back and help and head is constantly down

He is very much a confidence player ... And that ain't there just now

Can go past his man when he puts his mind to it but doing that once every 6 or 7 games is not on.

Was abysmal today and as pointed out by ma laddie at the game and by an earlier post he was the only outfield player not involved in celebrating Deegans fantastic goal

**** me, an unwell lad fails to do cartwheels and stick sparklers up his nostrils and he's rubbish.

Spoony out, De Graaf in.

J-C
03-02-2013, 07:59 PM
That's the game. Lets rip into the young guy after a great Scottish cup win. Pathetic.

I don't think anyone's ripping him, just pointing out the fact that today, like a few other days, he's been atrocious.

Fergus52
03-02-2013, 08:02 PM
I usually stick up for Spoony but he was off today and hasn't been at his best for a few weeks now.

I still think we should re-sign him if his wage demands are pretty low.

Useful to have as a squad player, but I just don't think he's good enough to start every week for us.

Piqué
03-02-2013, 08:03 PM

Did you see some of his attempts at tackles today?

HiBremian
03-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Any thoughts about his inconsistancy ? Earlier in the season he had one or two good games, but the season lasts a lot longer than that. This team cant afford to carry passengers who have a few good games a season.

Many of us on here reckon the boy was not right today. Maybe this should have been spotted before the game. Whatever the problem today, the result is inconsistency, which suggests we are not getting the best out of our players on a regular basis. I'm one of those fans that believes you can get a lot more out of a half decent sqaud with good football management than money alone - at least up to a point. Spoony looking ill was one thing, but general lack of movement off the ball is the other. PF is moving things in the right direction, but I reckon this shows up some of his weaker points that need sorting. But no manager can be perfect at everything, and PF is still learning.

All IMO, of course. ;-)

JimBHibees
03-02-2013, 08:05 PM

I thought maybury did well today - solid.

He certainly isnt abysmal as he has shown this season. Shocking thread made up of yam trolls and imbecilic Hibees.

mikey987654321
03-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I agree its maybe in his best interests to move on, im not sure he enjoys being at hibs anymore.

jabis
03-02-2013, 08:15 PM
was sitting behind the 4th refs dugout,after 10mins spoony asked for his longer studs,never got them till half time.
was getting told by the coaching staff to be here,there and everyf****ngwhere.Head down...he's a confidence player,sing about him and support him,then he's fine......mump and moan then hell mend you.

you get what you deserve you whingers...........just don't drag the club down with you.

great support at the game today :thumbsup:

apart from the :slipper:,who boo'd at half time.

Northernhibee
03-02-2013, 08:17 PM
He certainly isnt abysmal as he has shown this season. Shocking thread made up of yam trolls and imbecilic Hibees.

One poster on this thread has laid into Spoony on every post made in relation to this game and not once mentioned that they're chuffed with the result or shown any kind of sign you'd expect of your team going through to the quarters for the second time in two years.

Amazes me why some people choose to be Hibs fans if you can't enjoy a victory for a couple of hours.

JimBHibees
03-02-2013, 08:19 PM
One poster on this thread has laid into Spoony on every post made in relation to this game and not once mentioned that they're chuffed with the result or shown any kind of sign you'd expect of your team going through to the quarters for the second time in two years.

Amazes me why some people choose to be Hibs fans if you can't enjoy a victory for a couple of hours.

Probably a yam.

Wotherspiniesta
03-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Probably a yam.

At least one has been rightly launched this evening! Well done Admin :aok:

Wotherspiniesta
03-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Just the way of the world, I'm afraid! 36 responses about a player who didn't have his best game and 6 replies about backing the team on another thread.

Miserable sods! :greengrin

Piqué
03-02-2013, 08:24 PM

Did you see some of his attempts at tackles today?

AlbertK86
03-02-2013, 08:28 PM
**** me, an unwell lad fails to do cartwheels and stick sparklers up his nostrils and he's rubbish.

Spoony out, De Graaf in.

Where did you get he was unwell from

If he was he shouldn't have been on the pitch

trev the hat
03-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Spoony got it tight today from folk I ain't used to hearing, personally the criticism didn't sit well with me.
As a forward thinking hibbee DW needs to move on @ contract expire. Until then, full backing from me.

Northernhibee
03-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Where did you get he was unwell from

If he was he shouldn't have been on the pitch

Yeah, **** you Spoony for being picked. You'll get your backing from the stands when you say "Actually boss I'd rather sit on my arse on the bench instead".

We're through to the quarter finals of the Scottish cup! You'd think we'd lost!

Winston Ingram
03-02-2013, 08:35 PM

Give it a ****ing rest.

I can never understand why people write off players completely because of a couple of bad games. He's clearly got bags of ability so why people think that just disappears in a 23 yr old I've no idea.

Eyrie
03-02-2013, 08:38 PM
The trouble with Wotherspoon is that (to paraphrase) he has wonderful moments, and dreadful ninety minutes.

I want him to do well, but he is too inconsistent and I'd be wary of extending him as anything other than depth.

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I like spoony but feel a move away would be best for all concerned at end of season, he has been poor for weeks now and seems to have 1 good match followed by 6 poorish ones!! Not enough to be a regular starter and I think he.may find it difficult to get a game once done and Robertson settle in!!

steviehibsleith
03-02-2013, 09:23 PM
He is out of contract in the summer perhaps his head isnt right as the club are not committing to signing him on a further 2- 3 years deal. At the same time they bring in two midfielders - one of which is a right winger tells him what the manager really thinks about him.

Looking at Dones performance when he came on as sub i think he looks a player and could do a job for Hibs on the wing, If spoony has seen this already in the couple of sesssions since joining think that must be a downer on your confidence. Sure most on here have played at some level for a team that has seen a new player coming in who plays your position and is better than you.

Thecat23
03-02-2013, 09:30 PM
End of the day it was his directness and shot that put Hearts out and got us into the next round with Aberdeen. He had a poor game today but for me every player does. So since his goal knocked out the s*um and seeing what it meant to him I'm certainly not going to give the lad a hard time.

Pedantic_Hibee
03-02-2013, 09:31 PM
His hair was absolutely terrible today. This was probably the reason he was subbed I think.

stantonhibby
03-02-2013, 09:34 PM
End of the day it was his directness and shot that put Hearts out and got us into the next round with Aberdeen. He had a poor game today but for me every player does. So since his goal knocked out the s*um and seeing what it meant to him I'm certainly not going to give the lad a hard time.

Exactly

hibsbollah
03-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Spoony was really poor for about 18 months, but then the start of this season he turned it round and was a good reason why we started so well. Id have been happy to see the back of him in the past, but not now.

Saying that, he was absolutely ganting in the league game last weekend as well. Maybe a rest is needed.

Hermit Crab
03-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Spoony was really poor for about 18 months, but then the start of this season he turned it round and was a good reason why we started so well. Id have been happy to see the back of him in the past, but not now.

Saying that, he was absolutely ganting in the league game last weekend as well. Maybe a rest is needed.

Also on Wednesday when he came on.

Seekyit
03-02-2013, 09:48 PM
He also laid on the goal for Griffiths in tne 1-1 draw against hearts earkier this season. BUT, he was poor today and looks totally out of sorts right now.

Yep, looked like a guy who'd turned up for a game of football but his mind was elsewhere.

monktonharp
03-02-2013, 10:00 PM

Give it a ****ing rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSn0M4kaDa8sorry but it needs to be said, as I've said recently. Widdy is a man short for us. sorry but he disnae do it for me. the laddie has some skill, but sometimes runs aboot like a heidless chicken which is not what I expect from a Hibernian player. his performance tonight was similar to the way he played last week against the sheep. in other words, totally *******. anyone on here that differs from that argument needs to have a real word wi' themselves. pish,end off.

LeighLoyal
03-02-2013, 10:01 PM
He was doing pretty well early on in the season, hope he can get back to that form.

dp00
04-02-2013, 02:08 PM
me and mate were talking about the celebration thing where he never celebrated and apparently the opposite team can kick off once all the other players have went in there own half... it would appear wotherspoon was just being smart and stopping the sheep kicking off when none of our players were in position

watch this video which kinda confirms it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKCJ6ldPdns

pacorosssco
04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
me and mate were talking about the celebration thing where he never celebrated and apparently the opposite team can kick off once all the other players have went in there own half... it would appear wotherspoon was just being smart and stopping the sheep kicking off when none of our players were in position

watch this video which kinda confirms it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKCJ6ldPdns

I think your right was starting to run then stopped but could also be him and fenlon have had words and didnt want to go to bench?

S4uzee
04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
I think your right was starting to run then stopped but could also be him and fenlon have had words and didnt want to go to bench?I think that could be the case

AlbertK86
04-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah, **** you Spoony for being picked. You'll get your backing from the stands when you say "Actually boss I'd rather sit on my arse on the bench instead".

We're through to the quarter finals of the Scottish cup! You'd think we'd lost!

You never answered the question about where did you hear he was unwell ?!?!

LancsHibs
04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I think he was unwell, his nose was streaming, snotters everywhere:ill: Think this could well be the case, we all know he can do much better. Give the lad a break.

jeffers
04-02-2013, 05:35 PM
What I fail to understand is why he keeps getting selected. Ill or not yesterday he wasn't a lot better in the league game against Aberdeen last Sunday and by the posts from those at Ross County did nothing when he come on up there. Yet he started yesterday whereas Doyle didn't even make the bench.

Northernhibee
04-02-2013, 06:47 PM
sorry but it needs to be said, as I've said recently. Widdy is a man short for us. sorry but he disnae do it for me. the laddie has some skill, but sometimes runs aboot like a heidless chicken which is not what I expect from a Hibernian player. his performance tonight was similar to the way he played last week against the sheep. in other words, totally *******. anyone on here that differs from that argument needs to have a real word wi' themselves. pish,end off.

He's had a few geat assists and some cracking goals this season. Not going to write the kid off for two bad perfomances; I'll leave that to you.

He's a good quality SPL midfielder and I'm glad we have him.

bigwheel
04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I actually think Spoony would be a nightmare to play against . He's two footed , good balance , can go inside or outside you, he's got decent pace and works up and down the pitch . You know he's going to attack and push you back and,whilst he's not the strongest defensively , he is going to track back and make it hard for you...He's also one of the few people we have that can take a man on and cause danger ...such as he did with the winner against Hearts in the cup ...he has some performances where he isn't at his best - don't they all ! For the modern game he is a good player ...i'll be delighted if we keep him ...

Fergos
04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
He is out of contract in the summer perhaps his head isnt right as the club are not committing to signing him on a further 2- 3 years deal. At the same time they bring in two midfielders - one of which is a right winger tells him what the manager really thinks about him.

Looking at Dones performance when he came on as sub i think he looks a player and could do a job for Hibs on the wing, If spoony has seen this already in the couple of sesssions since joining think that must be a downer on your confidence. Sure most on here have played at some level for a team that has seen a new player coming in who plays your position and is better than you.
p

This.

Do think Spoony was playing clever about slowing the restart when you watch that YouTube.

Id be giving the lad a rest, he's been off form for weeks. He has ability and for me this is as much about giving him a rest and a test of Nutsys man management skills to reinstall some confidence as it is about giving him a contract or not. Think all the midfield signings and his contract situation will be playing on his mind as stated by stevie above also.

Love to see him back to form but to be fair to all he needs alot more consistency also.

On form a good player with skill, yesterday however wasn't the lads day.

GGTTH

Leishy1995
04-02-2013, 07:42 PM
If you think his head is elsewhere then re-watch the celebration vs Hearts

LeighLoyal
04-02-2013, 07:49 PM
I actually think Spoony would be a nightmare to play against . He's two footed , good balance , can go inside or outside you, he's got decent pace and works up and down the pitch . You know he's going to attack and push you back and,whilst he's not the strongest defensively , he is going to track back and make it hard for you...He's also one of the few people we have that can take a man on and cause danger ...such as he did with the winner against Hearts in the cup ...he has some performances where he isn't at his best - don't they all ! For the modern game he is a good player ...i'll be delighted if we keep him ...

That's my feeling. I would caution him against moving away as it's easy to fall out the game these days with so many footballers released every window. I think he can develop a bit more at Easter Road and maybe then he'll be at the level to move on. He could get a game in League One just now, I've no doubt on that.

Heedthebaw
04-02-2013, 10:37 PM
p

This.

Do think Spoony was playing clever about slowing the restart when you watch that YouTube.

Id be giving the lad a rest, he's been off form for weeks. He has ability and for me this is as much about giving him a rest and a test of Nutsys man management skills to reinstall some confidence as it is about giving him a contract or not. Think all the midfield signings and his contract situation will be playing on his mind as stated by stevie above also.

Love to see him back to form but to be fair to all he needs alot more consistency also.

On form a good player with skill, yesterday however wasn't the lads day.

GGTTH

Can confirm Spoony was infact using his nut and slowing the play down after the goal so Aberdeen couldn't take a quick kick off