PDA

View Full Version : The Referee

SouthMoroccoStu
03-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Another week, another post complaining about the match officials.....

Don't you just love it - if you weren't shocked and embarrassed by the standard of refereeing in this country.

Total joke with no consistency in making decisions.

Let Aberdeen take free kicks and throwin from anywhere they pleased.

Couldn't wait to give the penalty - thank you Ben!

Bring back the Maltesers :wink:

SaulGoodman
03-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Don't often snap at referees but giving that free kick when Claros won the ball at the touch line and had started running into the box was ridiculous.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Never a penalty.

Fergus52
03-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Don't often snap at referees but giving that free kick when Claros won the ball at the touch line and had started running into the box was ridiculous.

This infuriated me as well.

Also how hibs managed to have 3 players booked and them escape without any, despite them being the dirtier team quite easily, is beyond me.

Mac
03-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Never a penalty.

Some of the most baffling decisions, I'm fortunate I had a TV behind me that I can view replays, penalty? You have to be kidding, he gave them everything.

Hainan Hibs
03-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Wasn't convinced with Brines today, some bad decisions especially the Claros/Anderson one.

TheEastTerrace
03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Dreadful - Hibs got nothing all day

SkintHibby
03-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Opinions eh!! I thiought Brines was OK and I thought it was a penalty. The linesmen on the other hand were pretty woeful.

SouthamptonHibs
03-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Never a pen also shocker giving a free kick to Anderson when him a wee Claros went shoulder to shoulder. Great win next up Killie Hail Hail

allezsauzee
03-02-2013, 06:24 PM
To be honest I thought it was one of Brines better performances. He was still pish mind, just not as pish as he can be.

LaMotta
03-02-2013, 06:27 PM
The most baffling things were his decision not to book Anderson on Griffiths then booking Done for a nothing challenge two mins later:confused:

Mr White
03-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Claros one was bad. I was in ff upper so didn't have a great view of incidents in the south half of the pitch but it seemed to me like he gave them almost all the 50-50s and benefit of the doubt on a number of occasions. I could believe its just incompetence rather than bias though. Makes it all the sweeter to be into the quarters!

AlbertK86
03-02-2013, 06:28 PM
The elbow/ block on Leigh wiz brutal. Never even spoke to them then seconds later booked Hibs player for clattering into the boy in a nothing position

Didnae look like a pen from my seat but knew one was coming

They are a bunching of diving barstewards .. Vernon threw himself down in the box when nobody near him but guess what ... Not even a word

Bet we get Thomson at Killie

PeeJay
03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Never a penalty.

Ref was terrible, and I guess I'm not the closest, but it looked a clear penalty to me on my Berlin, low-resolution tv picture...McPake bowled him over (whoever him was!)

SkintHibby
03-02-2013, 06:36 PM
I think Hibs fans moan far too much about refs.

He was not brilliant but I've seen far worse refereeing over the years.

I'm probably in a minority but I think refereeing in Scotland is top notch these days!:agree:

DarrenSQH
03-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Was never a penalty. The ball got tangled in McGiverns legs and the Aberdeen lad ran into Mcpake.

allezsauzee
03-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Brines and Craig Ulysses Norbert Thomson are generally the only refs I want us to avoid. I think the others by and large do a decent job.

Mr White
03-02-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm probably in a minority but I think refereeing in Scotland is top notch these days!:agree:

Very much in the minority I would think.

JMac
03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
I didn't actually think he was too bad although i was in the famous 5 side of the east so I didn't have a great view of it

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Ref was good 1st half then had a Thomson-esque performance in the 2nd.

Never a Pen, never a booking for Done and never a free kick for Claros's shoulder challenge on Anderson to name a few dodgy decisions, amongst many!!

lyonhibs
03-02-2013, 06:54 PM
i think hibs fans moan far too much about refs.

He was not brilliant but i've seen far worse refereeing over the years.

I'm probably in a minority but i think refereeing in scotland is top notch these days!:agree:

nurse!!!! Nurse!!!!!

SouthMoroccoStu
03-02-2013, 06:55 PM
I think Hibs fans moan far too much about refs.

He was not brilliant but I've seen far worse refereeing over the years.

You are indeed in the minority

I would like to leave the stadium not talking about the refs performance but it happens so rarely.

That tells me there is something very wrong.

Hermit Crab
03-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Another referee paranoia thread. ;-)

hibbybrian
03-02-2013, 07:00 PM

Another paranoia post :wink:

hibbill2002
03-02-2013, 07:01 PM
This infuriated me as well.

Also how hibs managed to have 3 players booked and them escape without any, despite them being the dirtier team quite easily, is beyond me.

3? I only mind McPake and Dones yellows, who else?

hibbill2002
03-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Another paranoia post :wink:

Another alzheimer's post.

Greendub
03-02-2013, 07:05 PM
McGivern had already taken the ball and Hayes wasnt getting it back, poor refereeing today.

Cairneys penalty claim though I thought that was a pen

SouthMoroccoStu
03-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Not really about paranoia.

More pointing out an incompetent performance which spoiled the game.

Now Craig Thomson on the other hand.......:wink:

Mr White
03-02-2013, 07:09 PM

Deegan
edit- bbc says he wasn't, maybe I've got early onset dementia, could have sworn he was booked!

Capt Mainwaring
03-02-2013, 07:10 PM
The elbow/ block on Leigh wiz brutal. Never even spoke to them then seconds later booked Hibs player for clattering into the boy in a nothing position

Didnae look like a pen from my seat but knew one was coming

They are a bunching of diving barstewards .. Vernon threw himself down in the box when nobody near him but guess what ... Not even a word

Bet we get Thomson at Killie

Yep - the Russell block on Sparky was a clear yellow and he never even spoke to the offender!

It's the way Brines looks for confrontation and acts like a condescending Policeman that winds everyone up. There's good reason why he doesn't have a FIFA badge and only an SFA one. He's an incompetent Tool who enjoys playing the Panto Villan. Bet he's watching himself on Sky + now

jodjam
03-02-2013, 07:12 PM
When Robertson came on he allowed dons to take the free kick before Robertson had even made his way into the box. He was ok first half but brines had a shocker in second half

hibees59
03-02-2013, 07:16 PM
I thought Brines was Ok today. I thought it was a penalty but watching the reply I don't think it was.

The Harp
Thought the ref had an ok first half, then totally lost it in the 2nd with some ridiculous decisions in favour of Aberdeen. Maybe auld Craigie Brown slipped him some of his Werther's Originals at half time.:rolleyes:

SouthMoroccoStu
McGivern had already taken the ball and Hayes wasnt getting it back, poor refereeing today.

Cairneys penalty claim though I thought that was a pen

Was wondering about that.

He knocked the ball past the defender, still within good distance of the ball and was brought down.

No penalty.

Compared to the Aberdeen one and the penalty Celtic got earlier in the day - it's a bit of a head scratcher :cb

The_Sauz
03-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Russell actually leaned into Claros, and came off second best :agree:
One one I could not understand, was when Deegan went out and blocked a shot (the ball went spinning up in the air), the ref waited until it was nearly in Ben hands before he blew for a foul:confused:

snooky
03-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Yep - the Russell block on Sparky was a clear yellow and he never even spoke to the offender!

It's the way Brines looks for confrontation and acts like a condescending Policeman that winds everyone up. There's good reason why he doesn't have a FIFA badge and only an SFA one. He's an incompetent Tool who enjoys playing the Panto Villan. Bet he's watching himself on Sky + now

.... with his whistle in his hand. :wink:

LaMotta
03-02-2013, 07:24 PM

He knocked the ball past the defender, still within good distance of the ball and was brought down.

No penalty.

Compared to the Aberdeen one and the penalty Celtic got earlier in the day - it's a bit of a head scratcher :cb

It shouldn't have been a pen, but Brines still got it wrong....because Cairney fouled the Aberdeen defender before he was brought down so should have been a free kick to Aberdeen.

Brines's solution was to give nothing:rolleyes:

hibbill2002
03-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Deegan
edit- bbc says he wasn't, maybe I've got early onset dementia, could have sworn he was booked!

I don't think he was as I mentioned to my mate at the end of the game that he had scored a peach and didnae get booked for a change.

SneakersO'Toole
03-02-2013, 07:28 PM
First half fine, second half he was worse than useless.

Early 2nd half he gave handball against Cairney near the west stand touchline. I then counted 3 other handballs against Aberdeen players at the same touchline that went completely unrecognised.

They won't get it right all the time but again, where is the consistency?

greenlex
03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Some absolutely baffling decisions. Claros one was a shocker. Anderson should have got a red IMO for the elbow on Griffiths. (right in front of me). The Aberdeen crowd react on the Deegan challenge and get the foul. Numerous fouls second half that had me scratching my baldy napper. :confused:

DaveF
03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Brines is just an erse of a referee. His 2nd half 'performance' would have made Charlie Richmond proud.

erin go bragh
03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Mcpake was lucky, he could have gave away 2 pen's[ the linesman in front of the main stand had a shocking game ]
Griffiths was onside early doors but flagged for offside ,the first of many wrong calls .

ps were through and their no :greengrin
ggtth

JimBHibees
03-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Thought Brines must have been on double money for a replay as thought he gave them a string of very soft decisions in the second half. His decision when Claros won a shoulder charge with Anderson when he would have been running into the box was a shocker.

Thought he was gagging to give them a pen also.

SouthMoroccoStu
03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
It shouldn't have been a pen, but Brines still got it wrong....because Cairney fouled the Aberdeen defender before he was brought down so should have been a free kick to Aberdeen.

Brines's solution was to give nothing:rolleyes:

Oh we'll.

Didn't have the best view from my seat so I'll take your word for it

They still never should have got a penalty.

As an earlier poster said McGivern had already taken the ball and Hayes wasnt getting it back.

Poor refereeing today.

CallumLaidlaw
03-02-2013, 10:19 PM
For the first hour I thought the ref was excellent then he went mad. In the first hour he let the game flow, didn't give out any cards for the sake of it, and got the majority of decisions right. The last half hour was crazy.

Hibee Ryan
03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
To be fair to Brines he really wanted to make a game of it. But that's all the praise I can give him.

Some decisions just had you confused others infuriated. Some consistency would have been nice! Aberdeen seemed to get some very dodgy decisions, 90% of 50/50's and got away without a booking for challenges that were definite yellows!

However the linesmen were just as bad but for both teams! McGinn was about 4 feet onside for McPake's booking though

matty_f
03-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Brines was pish. Gave us nothing all day.

Saorsa
04-02-2013, 12:21 AM
****in' brutal, nothing new though and just about as one sided as you are likely tae see.

lord bunberry
04-02-2013, 04:44 AM
I've never liked brines I don't like his style of refereeing. Ever since he was in charge of a cup game we played against Morton a few years back were he had a shocker I've thought he is an incompetent fool. Today did nothing to change my opinion of him

JimBHibees
04-02-2013, 10:01 AM

No penalty.

Cairney one was never a pen defender fell and Cairney fell over him. The Claros foul at edge of the Dons box was a shocker IMO.

Hibee Ryan
04-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Some absolutely baffling decisions. Claros one was a shocker. Anderson should have got a red IMO for the elbow on Griffiths. (right in front of me). The Aberdeen crowd react on the Deegan challenge and get the foul. Numerous fouls second half that had me scratching my baldy napper. :confused:

I swear to god brines didnt even see the deegan challenge! He was watching the ball in the air! Heard the Aberdeen fans shout and turned to see the player on the ground. It was baffling

number9dream
04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Taken from BBC live text...

1658: Aberdeen get lucky as skipper Russell Anderson stands on the ball and falls
over, with Jorge Claros ready to race into the penalty box from the byeline but
ref Iain Brines has some kind of brain freeze and gives the visitors a
foul.

SaulGoodman
04-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Clearly didn't like the thought he was doing well. Can remember a lot of the crowd applauding him for playing advantage and then pulling it back late in the first half.

Then he just collapsed after that.