PDA

View Full Version : NHC Gazza & the Rangers team of that era

The_Exile
03-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Feel for him, anyone seen the footage of his latest public appearance? Frightening, IMO he'll be dead before easter.

Was part of the greatest side I've ever seen play us at ER, him, Laudrup, Albertz, Negri, Goram, Gattuso, Van Bronckhurst, Numan, Klos etc, some team. Hated them, but in retrospect they had some properly class players.

Gus
03-02-2013, 02:04 PM
That was some team. Guy had world at his feet. Think you a right about Easter sadly. He clearly has some inner demons. Wanna take him a loaf of bread

Mr White
03-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Feel for him, anyone seen the footage of his latest public appearance? Frightening, IMO he'll be dead before easter.

Was part of the greatest side I've ever seen play us at ER, him, Laudrup, Albertz, Negri, Goram, Gattuso, Van Bronckhurst, Numan, Klos etc, some team. Hated them, but in retrospect they had some properly class players.
Any team with 2 international keepers is going to be hard to beat right enough;-)

rainman
03-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Where are the guys like Goram, McCoist, Walter Smith etc who egged him on to drink in the name of "team building"? That team was renounced for their drinking and apparent team spirit that isn't possible without drinking as a team.

Any of these guys helping their old mate out now?

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-02-2013, 02:43 PM
That footage of him is painfull to watch.Immediate comparisons with George Best on Wogan. Last time I say him on the teev, he was emaciated, but in that clip he looks lke Sean Ryder, all in the space of a few months. Poor, poor soul.

VickMackie
03-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Any team with 2 international keepers is going to be hard to beat right enough;-)

Three international keepers :tee hee:

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Feel for him, really? he's an effing waster of the highest caliber, a great talent but it was his decision to live the bevvy merchant lifestyle time and time again when people were trying hard to get him sorted, you reap what you sow..no sympathy from me I'm afraid.

The_Exile
03-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Feel for him, really? he's an effing waster of the highest caliber, a great talent but it was his decision to live the bevvy merchant lifestyle time and time again when people were trying hard to get him sorted, you reap what you sow..no sympathy from me I'm afraid.

Classy, hope none of your family have to suffer from alcoholism, considering they'd get no sympathy from you. I doubt anyone chooses that path through choice.

Bleeds green
03-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Any link to this?

hibbydog
03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Where are the guys like Goram, McCoist, Walter Smith etc who egged him on to drink in the name of "team building"? That team was renounced for their drinking and apparent team spirit that isn't possible without drinking as a team.

Any of these guys helping their old mate out now?

Sadly a very good point.

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Classy, hope none of your family have to suffer from alcoholism, considering they'd get no sympathy from you. I doubt anyone chooses that path through choice.

Well one of them did mate and despite constant care and attention he chose to kill himself, any addiction is cureable but you have to WANT to be cured, I watched my brother in law kill himself in front of everyone, his choice despite heaps of professional help, as I say you reap what you sow, Gazza has plenty money to get even top class help but he isn't interested anymore. Very sad of course.

LeighLoyal
03-02-2013, 07:24 PM
A team bank rolled by the Rangers mafia in Bank of Scotland, via their creature David Murray. Gascoigne should maybe try getting up in the morning to make a crust to keep the roof over his head, then he'd have less time to drink. I have limited sympathy for a guy who wasted the talent he had.

Hibs Class
03-02-2013, 07:30 PM

They were an excellent team, miles ahead of anyone else in Scotland at that time. Obvious now, though, that we were watching them sow the seeds of their own downfall through the financial doping that culminated in Rangers ceasing to exist. Genuinely hope that Paul doesn't suffer the same fate as the ex-club.

gillythehibby
03-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Scored one of the best solo goals ever seen in scotland against aberdeen. Pure class on the field and hard not to like. Hope he comes thru.

IWasThere2016
03-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Any link to this?

On The Sun and Mirror sites. Tragic mess, a dead man walking ...

Viva_Palmeiras
03-02-2013, 07:40 PM

My brother has a signed football from that team of that era. He doesn't even take much of an interest in sport let alone football but that ball will be worth a few bob as The Rangers will never accumulate a team like that in the future. If I could mock up exploding the ball online and post it to follow follow that would be fun....

Pretty Boy
03-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Met Gazza when I was about 8 at Glasgow Airport. Took the time to sign an autograph, have a photo taken and have a wee chat about football. For that 3 or 4 minutes he was a Gentleman, was only a small gesture really but one I remember nearly 20 years later.

Wish him well. He obviously has some complex issues. Hope he gets the help he needs before its too late.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
A team bank rolled by the Rangers mafia in Bank of Scotland, via their creature David Murray. Gascoigne should maybe try getting up in the morning to make a crust to keep the roof over his head, then he'd have less time to drink. I have limited sympathy for a guy who wasted the talent he had.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Depression can be crippling so doing the very thing you suggest can be almost impossible. Unless you've been there its hard to imagine. And yes there are others who have not had the perceived advantages in life brought by the riches for some - its a struggle to get out of bed get dressed and into work but they do it my mate Allan is wheelchair bound and I've seen how difficult it is to push his chair on gravel. But it's unfair to compare.

Hibby D
03-02-2013, 07:51 PM
I managed a little under a minute of that video. Tragic and very upsetting.

I have to question why he was paraded in such a manner. He doesn't look capable of thinking for himself never mind talking or walking.

Horrible disease

Pretty Boy
03-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Might be an idea to have a read at this thread before talking bollox.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?250455-Depression-and-anxiety&p=3480620#post3480620

YehButNoBut
03-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Any link to this?

Try these 2, he looks a mess, tragic really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21311843?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-gascoigne-says-no-one-1572075

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1571770.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/SUNDAY+MIRROR+ONLY+Paul+Gascoigne.jpg

heretoday
03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
He needs help all right but no more than anyone else in his condition. I must be in a minority because I never cared much for Gazza's brand of cheeky humour. I sensed a streak of violence under it all.

kentao
03-02-2013, 08:49 PM
I remember meeting Gazza in Toys r Us when i was about 11 or 12 the guy was top class. He was shopping with his family and was happy to chat away and sign autographs. At that age i didn't know how massive a player he was in his day. I`ll always remember him for this screamer at Easter Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfke1BSg4u4

4 mins 20

Take a bow son.

Sir David Gray
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Try these 2, he looks a mess, tragic really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21311843?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-gascoigne-says-no-one-1572075

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1571770.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/SUNDAY+MIRROR+ONLY+Paul+Gascoigne.jpg

Oh my God, that picture is frightening.

Not sure he's got long left, based on that image.

McHibby
04-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Scored one of the best solo goals ever seen in scotland against aberdeen. Pure class on the field and hard not to like. Hope he comes thru.

I feel dirty even saying this, one of the best goals that I saw was against Scotland in EURO 96.

I've not watched the video in question, I find stuff like that quite upsetting, but he clearly needs help. I think his mental problems go much deeper than just alcoholism - which is serious enough on its own.

Maybe instead of all the rubber-necking the tabloids are indulging in they could offer to pay for some treatment for him. He's certainly sold enough copies for them over the years.

Pete
04-02-2013, 03:33 AM
Well one of them did mate and despite constant care and attention he chose to kill himself, any addiction is cureable but you have to WANT to be cured, I watched my brother in law kill himself in front of everyone, his choice despite heaps of professional help, as I say you reap what you sow, Gazza has plenty money to get even top class help but he isn't interested anymore. Very sad of course.

I hope that your hard line on this subject is a reaction to your negative experiences. It can't have been easy watching that and you are bound to have been effected.
Anyone with your type of views who didn't have such experiences would simply not know what they were talking about.

For what it's worth, I have very similar experiences and couldn't disagree with you more.

As for Gazza, he was a genius and it was a joy to watch him live. That Rangers team was awesome!

Lets be honest, Rangers were awesome(in terms of football) and full of fantastic footballers from 1988 to 2000.

Boyle89
04-02-2013, 04:15 AM
I couldn't watch that all the way through, truely horrific.

McHibby
04-02-2013, 04:21 AM
I hope that your hard line on this subject is a reaction to your negative experiences. It can't have been easy watching that and you are bound to have been effected.
Anyone with your type of views who didn't have such experiences would simply not know what they were talking about.

For what it's worth, I have very similar experiences and couldn't disagree with you more.

To an extent, I understand his strong views. My dad is an alcoholic and my over-riding feeling is anger. I feel very, very angry at him. Because as well as unnecessarily killing himself, the people who love him are being forced to witness it without having any power stop him. However, it is still an illness and just wanting to stop isn't always enough - if only it was.

Pete
04-02-2013, 05:03 AM
To an extent, I understand his strong views. My dad is an alcoholic and my over-riding feeling is anger. I feel very, very angry at him. Because as well as unnecessarily killing himself, the people who love him are being forced to witness it without having any power stop him. However, it is still an illness and just wanting to stop isn't always enough - if only it was.

I reckon that anger is natural among those indirectly effected and I know where the guy and yourself are coming from..

I think on some level that people can't help feeling that it is somehow preventable because they themselves can enjoy the drug in moderation and it gives them pleasure.

It's a horrible thing and leaves lots of people in it's wake.

EdinMike
04-02-2013, 06:12 AM
I couldn't watch that all the way through, truely horrific.

I was talking to my Auld man about it, asked him if he'd seen it. He told me to turn it off after 30 seconds or so.

"I give him a month or 2.." Were his words. Sad really.

marinello59
04-02-2013, 07:16 AM

Your over riding hatred of Rangers really is no excuse for your total lack of compassion towards another human being. Any one of us could end up sharing Gazzas fate.

Killiehibbie
04-02-2013, 08:33 AM
A very good player but another should've been up there with the very best. Alcoholism is terrible, i've watched bright young things turning into wrecks over the years and it's sad.

Hibercelona
04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Feel sorry for him. It's hard not to feel sorry for somebody who has hit rock bottom like that, regardless of the circumstances.

But as others have said, you can't be helped unless you're willing to help yourself first. Alcoholism is a self inflicted disease, therefore it can only be undone if you're prepared to help yourself.

Northernhibee
04-02-2013, 11:46 AM
What a horrible video.

Hope he wins his battle with the bottle, what a cracking player he was and irrelevant of your opinion on the lad as a person it's upsetting to see someone in that state. He looks a hell of a lot older than his age too.

Tragic.

LeighLoyal
04-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Your over riding hatred of Rangers really is no excuse for your total lack of compassion towards another human being. Any one of us could end up sharing Gazzas fate.

Nonsense, he's had more compassion and help thrown at him than any other footballer, even the English pfa say so, so what else is there to do with the guy? And what compassion did he show his ex wife when he beat the hell out of her? He was at times a thuggish player on the pitch and a violent drunk when it suited him. The guy needs very tough love, but he doesn't want the help. He's really no excuses left. And Rangers has nothing to do with it, that's your summation.

hibsbollah
04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Nonsense, he's had more compassion and help thrown at him than any other footballer, even the English pfa say so, so what else is there to do with the guy? And what compassion did he show his ex wife when he beat the hell out of her? He was at times a thuggish player on the pitch and a violent drunk when it suited him. The guy needs very tough love, but he doesn't want the help. He's really no excuses left. And Rangers has nothing to do with it, that's your summation.

Your lack of empathy shames you. Mental illness and alcoholism is a disease.

I agree with Peter Schmeical that somebody from football ought to step in. Some of his old teammates should have some sort of moral responsibility. What about all this football is a family pish we keep hearing about? With medical help something could be done before its too late.

lapsedhibee
04-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Your lack of empathy shames you. Mental illness and alcoholism is a disease.

I agree with Peter Schmeical that somebody from football ought to step in. Some of his old teammates should have some sort of moral responsibility. What about all this football is a family pish we keep hearing about? With medical help something could be done before its too late.

Perhaps, perhaps not (if the disease of which you speak is incurable).

hibsbollah
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Perhaps, perhaps not (if the disease of which you speak is incurable).

You can't 'cure' an alcoholic. You can 'treat' him so he can manage his condition though.

Maybe im just a serial Lineker hater but theres something pathetic in His Garyness being interviewed and photographed in the papers talking about his 'sadness' at Gazzas plight while doing apparently **** all about it. Bundle him in a taxi and get him in a clinic somewhere instead of talking to the papers about it if you care about him as much as you claim to.

Treadstone
04-02-2013, 12:52 PM

I think this team must have been in your dreams, Gazza, Goram and Laudrup had left Rangers before van Bronckhorst, Numan and Klos had shown up.

lapsedhibee
04-02-2013, 12:55 PM
You can't 'cure' an alcoholic. You can 'treat' him so he can manage his condition though.

Maybe im just a serial Lineker hater but theres something pathetic in His Garyness being interviewed and photographed in the papers talking about his 'sadness' at Gazzas plight while doing apparently **** all about it. Bundle him in a taxi and get him in a clinic somewhere instead of talking to the papers about it if you care about him as much as you claim to.

Did he not walk out of his most recent residential rehab though?

May be that some folk, of whom Best was one, just have too much thanatos to be 'treated' successfully.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-02-2013, 12:56 PM

As for Gazza, he was a genius and it was a joy to watch him live. That Rangers team was awesome!

Lets be honest, Rangers were awesome(in terms of football) and full of fantastic footballers from 1988 to 2000.

It probably is a lot of anger after what my wife, her family had to go through, despite constant help for him (just like Gazza) he chose to steal everything he could get his hands on including from me (which I got back) got him more help and he was sober for 3 months until an "old mate" as he said "dropped by" this time his "helper" had a large carry out and that was the end of that, 6 weeks later he drank himself to death.

Angry? you bet, it really is hard to be sympathetic towards him, and for the record the same goes for George Best whom I worshipped since the first time I saw him play 63/64, what he did was disgraceful in my book.

heretoday
04-02-2013, 01:10 PM

You're right about Lineker and all the rest. However, I don't see why Football bears any responsibility for his plight any more than say Cinema has a responsibility to some old star who has hit the bottle.

It might be best to let Gazza carry on making a mess of things so as to be a salutary warning to others.

brog
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM

And yet they still needed all the help as usual from the refs. The 3-4 game at ER when we were 3-1 up. Its the only game I've ever seen where the ref actually starts the move for a goal, ( oldco's 2nd I think ). Maybe someone will have a link, it's remarkable!

Swedish hibee
04-02-2013, 01:15 PM
First time I've seen this. Couldn't watch after 40 seconds :no way:

How on earth his manager let him get on that stage? And where are all his hanger-on's now ??

The_Exile
04-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I think this team must have been in your dreams, Gazza, Goram and Laudrup had left Rangers before van Bronckhorst, Numan and Klos had shown up.

I thought the thread title made it fairly obvious I was branching into two seperate but related subjects in Gazza's plight and the team of that "era", and not the specific team that included Gazza, I'll try and make it clearer next time.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I do feel sorry for him but I think it's easy to say that his former team mates should be doing more to get him help.

People who need help like Gascoigne, first and foremost, need to want help before it's going to have any desired effect. I mean REALLY want help, not just say they do but really mean it.

If he's driven to a clinic by one of his former team mates then unless he's going there willingly with the intention of NEVER having another drink then it's never going to succeed.

If he goes there then there's absolutely nothing to stop him from walking out after a day or two as soon as he fancies another drink and that's not going to do him any good.

Gascoigne has an illness, there's no doubts about that but he also has a self-destructive personality, which only he will be able to overcome.

He can have all the help and support that is humanly possible but if he doesn't put everything into it himself then he's never going to beat his demons.

It's a shame but only Paul Gascoigne can help Paul Gascoigne.

GlenrothesHibee
04-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Hard to feel sorry for him im afraid. He's had all the help in the world. Fantastic football player in his time though

Hibs Class
04-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Apparently gone to a treatment centre in the States. Hope it works out for him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21331133

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2013, 09:39 PM
I was listening to talksport tonight, and they had Ronnie Irani on, he shares a show in the morning with that idiot Alan Brazil. He said more will be said in the morning on their show, but he and Chris Evans the guy on the tv, had got to him and basically kidnapped him and took him away.

They have managed to get him on a plane to the USA and admitted him into the priory over there. He went on to say Gazza has had all the help in the world, he couldnt have wanted for any more help from the FA and other footballers and friends.

I got the impression its a couple of pals who are trying one last time to help him, they see him at deaths door and are having a final go at doing something? :dunno:

silverhibee
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Deary f***ing me.

The guy has a illness and you come away with that pish.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2013, 09:49 PM
I was listening to talksport tonight, and they had Ronnie Irani on, he shares a show in the morning with that idiot Alan Brazil. He said more will be said in the morning on their show, but he and Chris Evans the guy on the tv, had got to him and basically kidnapped him and took him away.

They have managed to get him on a plane to the USA and admitted him into the priory over there. He went on to say Gazza has had all the help in the world, he couldnt have wanted for any more help from the FA and other footballers and friends.

I got the impression its a couple of pals who are trying one last time to help him, they see him at deaths door and are having a final go at doing something? :dunno:

Sounds like it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21331133

VickMackie
04-02-2013, 09:50 PM
**** me.

He's lucky his agent or whomever let him on that otherwise he'd probably be deid now with the looks of it.

silverhibee
04-02-2013, 09:53 PM

:rolleyes:

YehButNoBut
04-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Confirmed on Sky he's off to the USA for treatment, hopefully works although I have my doubts long term, hopefully wrong.

http://news.sky.com/story/1047213/paul-gascoigne-gazza-goes-to-us-for-rehab

Alcoholic former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been admitted to a treatment centre in the US after concerns were raised for his health. The ex-Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio and Newcastle United star has "willingly" gone to an unnamed centre, his management company said.

'Gazza', who has spoken about alcoholism problems in the past and was sectioned five years ago under the Mental Health Act, appeared to be unwell and trembling at a charity appearance in Northampton on Thursday. That led to his agent Terry Baker saying that the 45-year-old needs immediate help, suggesting Gascoigne's life is "always in danger".

In a statement, GamePlan Solutions said the star had been touched by the support shown by fans and figures within football over the past few days. It said "Alcoholic Paul Gascoigne has been experiencing a tough time of late. He has been asking for help and has willingly been admitted to a treatment centre in America.

"He has complex issues that are currently being dealt with by professionals. Paul has been extremely touched and overwhelmed by the generous offers of help and support over the past few days.

"He is motivated to fully understand and control his addiction problem under guidance." Gascoigne still believes he can "get back on track" after his latest "relapse", according to players' chief Gordon Taylor.

The Professional Footballers' Association has vowed to continue giving the former England midfielder as much support as possible - and having been in contact with Gascoigne over the weekend, the union's chief executive Taylor said: "He still feels he is capable of getting back on track and [that] it is a relapse he has had.

"I can only say, whatever help he needs, he must come on [board] and we will help to provide it. "I think he does need specialist care and a very strong 24-hour support system, but again, it needs him to be part of that."

Mr Taylor is adamant the PFA will not be giving up on Gascoigne - and after ex-Manchester United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel commented on Twitter that the organisation needed to "step up" their efforts to help the troubled star, Mr Taylor stressed how much work they have already put in. He said: "I can't think of a player who has had more support and constant help over the number of years that we have been there for Paul.

"It is quite ironic - it is nice that people like Peter Schmeichel care about him, but they don't appreciate the work we have done for him, a lot of which has to be confidential. "If anything, I have been criticised at times for keeping faith and trying to keep going with him."

Sergey
04-02-2013, 09:57 PM
To quote George Orwell: “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.”

Going by the pic on the BBC - he'll not even make it to then.

Hibernia Na Eir
04-02-2013, 09:59 PM

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Gascgoine. How many unfortunates haven't had the choices he's had? I could go on but Gazza angers me.
What rehab session number is this? he kept good company with Moat. two of a kind!

Northernhibee
04-02-2013, 10:02 PM
im glad you posted this. I have no sympathy whatsoever for Gascgoine. He's made his bed. how many other poor souls have tried, like f***, to turn their lives around in poorer circumstances than his? How many haven't had the choices he's had? I could go on but Gazza angers me. He's a selfish, arrogant sod (who once played good football) and others, far more worthy, deserve the chance that he seems only too happy to p*** away!
What rehab session number is this? he kept good company with Moat. two of a kind.

A man with very complex issues, depression is "happy" to piss his life away. **** me.

Go back to reading the Daily Mail.

JohnStephens91
04-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Watched the whole video, he looks like he has Parkinson's because he is shaking so much. It is hard to feel sorry for him, it is his own fault, but I hope he gets the help because he looks like one hell of a mess. Doubt he'll see out the year.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2013, 10:08 PM

A man with very complex issues, depression is "happy" to piss his life away. **** me.

Go back to reading the Daily Mail.

Pah! ' whats he got to be depressed about?'

'Needs to pull himself together.'

Just waiting on it from someone.

Billy McKirdy
04-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I seen him running the game against us in a Premier league match against us at Easter Road in 1995, he and his team mates destroyed us that day by 5 goals to whatever :confused:
The only other time I encountered 'Gazza' was when I was driving away from the dole office in Windsor Place, Portobello and he was with his wife and kids at the trampoline centre there, I almost run the bugger over!!
It's a massive shame for the guy, not the brightest spark ever, and he has found himself at this point in life with it all to lose :rolleyes: Hun or not, I sympathise with his plight but have no realistic hope for any recovery sadly, a waste of a life :confused:

LeighLoyal
04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
I have no sympathy whatsoever for Gascgoine. How many unfortunates haven't had the choices he's had? I could go on but Gazza angers me.
What rehab session number is this? he kept good company with Moat. two of a kind!

Exactly, the collective 'poor him' brigade ignore his multitude of sins why exactly? I'm his age and have had a harder time than he'll ever know in every respect. The guy is not all there, drink or no drink, and depression is no excuse. Depression is a manageable condition that in many cases can be cured by medication and therapy. He's fortunate he has all these celebrity well wishers and concerned people ready to help him all over again, I know other alcoholics who have no choice but to get on with it. He's his own worst enemy.

Danderhall Hibs
04-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Could he do a job for us?

Once he gets let back out obviously.

Scouse Hibee
04-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Could he do a job for us?

Once he gets let back out obviously.

Watching us will have him back on the drink quicker than a fly's head flies through it's arse on hitting a windscreen.

TowerHibs
05-02-2013, 12:26 AM
Some people need to get a copy of his book and give it a read. The mental damage he suffered as a 6-12 year old lad (witnessing 2 deaths, seeing his dad collapse, constantly bullied ) is what is causing this. The majority of addicts are trying to escape mental problems, this is simply not a case of rich footballer not being able to stop himself. Suffering from depression, anxiety and panic attacks since a child is shocking. Mental illness doesn't get the respect, but it is just as harmful as any illness.

The ignorance of some people is just incredible. Wish people would educate themselves before writing nonsense on here.

FWIW I met GazZa while on trial at hibs and we played down at everton. He came and met us all and gave the driver £120 to get us all a scran on the way home

lEXO
05-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Some people need to get a copy of his book and give it a read. The mental damage he suffered as a 6-12 year old lad (witnessing 2 deaths, seeing his dad collapse, constantly bullied ) is what is causing this. The majority of addicts are trying to escape mental problems, this is simply not a case of rich footballer not being able to stop himself.

Aye. I,ve read it and have sympathy for Gazza and anyone else that has troubles. We really can be a heartless bunch at times.

carnoustiehibee
05-02-2013, 12:36 AM
did anyone listen to kick off on talksport tonight?

Ronnie Irani was on saying Chris Evans and himself got gazza on a BA flight to the clinic in Arizona this afternoon.

worth a listen,very interesting

hibbymac
05-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Exactly, the collective 'poor him' brigade ignore his multitude of sins why exactly? I'm his age and have had a harder time than he'll ever know in every respect. The guy is not all there, drink or no drink, and depression is no excuse. Depression is a manageable condition that in many cases can be cured by medication and therapy. He's fortunate he has all these celebrity well wishers and concerned people ready to help him all over again, I know other alcoholics who have no choice but to get on with it. He's his own worst enemy.

Some people need to get a copy of his book and give it a read. The mental damage he suffered as a 6-12 year old lad (witnessing 2 deaths, seeing his dad collapse, constantly bullied ) is what is causing this. The majority of addicts are trying to escape mental problems, this is simply not a case of rich footballer not being able to stop himself. Suffering from depression, anxiety and panic attacks since a child is shocking. Mental illness doesn't get the respect, but it is just as harmful as any illness.

The ignorance of some people is just incredible. Wish people would educate themselves before writing nonsense on here.

FWIW I met GazZa while on trial at hibs and we played down at everton. He came and met us all and gave the driver £120 to get us all a scran on the way home

You must have had some time as a youngster FalkirkHibby.

Pretty Boy
05-02-2013, 10:09 AM

You really have shown yourself to be a bit of an erse on this thread.

Genuine question, have you ever had depression? If you have then your complete lack of compassion absolutely astounds me. If you haven't then I don't think you are in a position to tell people how it's a manageable condition.

--------
05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
I managed a little under a minute of that video. Tragic and very upsetting.

I have to question why he was paraded in such a manner. He doesn't look capable of thinking for himself never mind talking or walking.

Horrible disease

What a bloody obscenity, D. The guys who put him on that stage and then passed the video on to the Sun need flogging.

worcesterhibby
05-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I've never been a fan of Gazza and always felt he was over-rated. Not that he didn't have a huge amount of natural talent, but his complete lack of any intelligence whatsoever, coupled with the emotional intelligence of a badly adjusted 6 year old, meant that over a season he was always more of a liability to any team he was in than an asset. No surprise that he ended up in the backwater of Scottish football in the prime of his career at a club like Rangers rather than at an English premiership club.

He is a perfect example of what was wrong with British football and it's laddish, yobbish drinking culture. A player like Denis Bergkamp probably only had half of the natural talent of Gazza, but with determination, application and professionalism he achieved far more than Gazza did in his career.

Yes I have sympathy for anyone who has substance abuse problems, but no I don't celebrate his pathetic, self destructive, brainless lifestyle.

As for waxing lyrical about rangers goals and England Goals against Scotland....get a hold of yourselves !!:rolleyes: