PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats on Money Received/Spent on SPL Transfers

Future17
01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/blog/212188-what-each-spl-club-has-spent-on-transfers-in-the-last-five-years/

Caversham Green
01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I've had a look at Hibs accounts for 2008/09 and the figures in the STV report don't come close to agreeing with them - I wonder where they got those numbers from.

According to the accounts costs relating to acquisitions were £785,985 for 07/08 and £892,341 for 08/09. STV has them as £490,000 and £166,000 respectively.

The cashflow figures in the accounts were £1,226,555 and £351,126. These are different from the costs relating to acquisitions for technical reasons that I won't go into unless I really have to.

I can't see the STV figures anywhere in the accounts.

Andy74
01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Hmm. So we have a stadium and training centre to show for that big overall profit. Hearts made more and have £30 million plus of debt.

Oscar T Grouch
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Hmm. So we have a stadium and training centre to show for that big overall profit. Hearts made more and have £30 million plus of debt.

How many time do we need told they owe that to themselves, they have a state of the art stadi......oh wait, but they have they own train.... oh wait, Im sure they are in a better state than us cause they are the big team:greengrin

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-02-2013, 02:01 PM
It doesn't make for great reading that we are the 3rd (4th if you include sevco) biggest spenders in the league.

This would suggest we should be in the mix during this period, sadly its not been the case. Obviously there is another argument...QPR. Big spenders=s$%£e!

hihohibby
01-02-2013, 02:02 PM
These figures really do underline how badly managed Hibs have been these past few years, when relegation battles have become the norm and so many clubs, on a fraction of the ER budget, have out performed us :rolleyes:

LioNeilMessi
01-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Who did we even buy in 10/11? Please tell me we didn't spend 100k on the likes of Thornhill, Scott and Palsson?

Hibee Ryan
01-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Ross County's only income has come from our purchase of Martin Scott. That hurts

jodjam
01-02-2013, 09:06 PM
These figures really do underline how badly managed Hibs have been these past few years, when relegation battles have become the norm and so many clubs, on a fraction of the ER budget, have out performed us :rolleyes:

Relegation battles have not become the norm

MrSmith
01-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Trolls posting alert!

We have not been badly managed just cautiously managed that is why we are not £60mil plus in debt to ourselves ...

jumbo waiters ... erm I mean wasters!

JustSimplyHibs
01-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I've had a look at Hibs accounts for 2008/09 and the figures in the STV report don't come close to agreeing with them - I wonder where they got those numbers from.

According to the accounts costs relating to acquisitions were £785,985 for 07/08 and £892,341 for 08/09. STV has them as £490,000 and £166,000 respectively.

The cashflow figures in the accounts were £1,226,555 and £351,126. These are different from the costs relating to acquisitions for technical reasons that I won't go into unless I really have to.

I can't see the STV figures anywhere in the accounts.

Spot on. There is no references to where they got these figures from. Very poor reporting/journo work based on estimations!!:

'In cases of young players moving, we can give a good estimation of fees that will be received or handed out'.

What trusted sources are these? The SevCo fanzine!

'As with last year's figures, for the clubs that don’t publicly release their books we’ve used a number of trusted sources and the reports from transfers at the time. These figures may not be quite as close to the dead-on figure'

Where is this information coming from? When the journo played the Football Manager game for that season!

In some cases there is a £0 transfer outlay for the season, which means there were no reports or suggestions that any transfer money changed hands in that particular year. Again, that is not absolutely gospel; it is based on the players signed, their ages, whether they were previously under contract and any other indicators that a fee was paid.

Very poor, give us hard FACTS reporters with hard evidence, we can't really compare and get a true reflection. Especially coming from the STV!!

hihohibby
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Trolls posting alert!

We have not been badly managed just cautiously managed that is why we are not £60mil plus in debt to ourselves ...

jumbo waiters ... erm I mean wasters!

If a club of the stature of Hibs, with a budget significantly higher than practically all but 2 clubs, finds itself fighting 2 consecutive relegation battles and regularly being turned over by clubs run on peanuts (with all due respect to Ross County), and annually gets rid of its managers -leading to instability, discontinuity and uncertainty...If that is not being badly managed, then what is your definition of being badly managed...without referring to our maroon neighbours, who live on a completely different economic planet?
There have been improvements this season, but this has to be seen against a low base level performance.

MrSmith
01-02-2013, 10:11 PM
If a club of the stature of Hibs, with a budget significantly higher than practically all but 2 clubs, finds itself fighting 2 consecutive relegation battles and regularly being turned over by clubs run on peanuts (with all due respect to Ross County), and annually gets rid of its managers -leading to instability, discontinuity and uncertainty...If that is not being badly managed, then what is your definition of being badly managed...without referring to our maroon neighbours, who live on a completely different economic planet?
There have been improvements this season, but this has to be seen against a low base level performance.

Whooo, the tense in that post is definitely not of Hibernian!

hihohibby
01-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Whooo, the tense in that post is definitely not of Hibernian!

Oh dear..yet that old cliche about being a troll, a yam etc etc...this, to me, is always evidence of someone devoid of a constructive answer to the point made and resorting to schoolboy jibes...and I will resort to that old cliche about being a regular Hibby for the past 50 years, who used to be a regular contributor on this very site a few years ago, albeit under a different user name -with nearly 1000 posts, who has returned only recently and has but 15 or so posts to his credit....:rolleyes:

MrSmith
01-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Oh dear..yet that old cliche about being a troll, a yam etc etc...this, to me, is always evidence of someone devoid of a constructive answer to the point made and resorting to schoolboy jibes...and I will resort to that old cliche about being a regular Hibby for the past 50 years, who used to be a regular contributor on this very site a few years ago, albeit under a different user name -with nearly 1000 posts, who has returned only recently and has but 15 or so posts to his credit....:rolleyes:

Absolutely! I'm definitely, at this point, deviod of reality! Oh and nice to read from you again after so long, welcome back! Who were you in a previous lifetime?

hmm, JD coke, Sol with lime and more beer!

Caversham Green
02-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Spot on. There is no references to where they got these figures from. Very poor reporting/journo work based on estimations!!:
'In cases of young players moving, we can give a good estimation of fees that will be received or handed out'.What trusted sources are these? The SevCo fanzine!
'As with last year's figures, for the clubs that don’t publicly release their books we’ve used a number of trusted sources and the reports from transfers at the time. These figures may not be quite as close to the dead-on figure'Where is this information coming from? When the journo played the Football Manager game for that season!
In some cases there is a £0 transfer outlay for the season, which means there were no reports or suggestions that any transfer money changed hands in that particular year. Again, that is not absolutely gospel; it is based on the players signed, their ages, whether they were previously under contract and any other indicators that a fee was paid.Very poor, give us hard FACTS reporters with hard evidence, we can't really compare and get a true reflection. Especially coming from the STV!!On top of all that, the comment about clubs not "publicly releasing their books" is nonsense - any club that is a limited company or LLP has to publish accounts that show transfer fees in and out. That means every SPL club with the possible exception of ICT (I'm not sure about their structure). You can get those accounts from Companies House for a quid a time.

SouthamptonHibs
02-02-2013, 09:02 AM
How many time do we need told they owe that to themselves, they have a state of the art stadi......oh wait, but they have they own train.... oh wait, Im sure they are in a better state than us cause they are the big team:greengrin

Yams have won three Scottish cups and they r now in a league cup final. I'm bored off slagging there debt mate they will be here for a long time the buggers won`t die. We produce nowt but have a cracking stadium to watch pish play hail hail

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2013, 09:05 AM

The club is being run well, apart from who they have picked as manager over the last few seasons? Each and every manager appointed gets more than most to spend, its the way those managers have wasted their funds, why we have been so poor recently.

jodjam
02-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Yams have won three Scottish cups and they r now in a league cup final. I'm bored off slagging there debt mate they will be here for a long time the buggers won`t die. We produce nowt but have a cracking stadium to watch pish play hail hail

This sort of post does my head in. Lets go back to the 90's and include the gimps cup wins. Then you say we have done nowt. You can't just ignore our cup win to make your point.

bigwheel
02-02-2013, 09:41 AM
The club is being run well, apart from who they have picked as manager over the last few seasons? Each and every manager appointed gets more than most to spend, its the way those managers have wasted their funds, why we have been so poor recently.

Agree with this - in the scheme of balancing income with football commitments - these stats show the board is doing their bit compared to our peers... The players and the managers can't say the same in recent years ...

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Agree with this - in the scheme of balancing income with football commitments - these stats show the board is doing their bit compared to our peers... The players and the managers can't say the same in recent years ...

In saying that, the board and when saying that its really Petrie have to take some stick for appointing managers who were either out their depth, not ready, too up their own erse or never really wanted to be at the bloody club?

Due diligence does not seem to have been done, and for me he was in the last chance saloon, he needed to get this appointment right or he would have been getting stick from all corners of the Hibs support.

And while Farmer has said he had a job for life, and wished he had 100 Petries, i'm not sure he could have survived another management failure?

Thankfully for me it looks like we wont have to find that out this time. :pray:

bigwheel
02-02-2013, 10:10 AM
That's true

The selection decisions around management have been weak recently . Choosing Calderwood over Clarke stands out , I'm sure there are many others

Fenton has been a good appointment . But these previous failures have come at a cost - we seem to have lost over 2000 regular fans at home games ...which in turn restricts out ability to fund players

Speedy
02-02-2013, 10:30 AM
On top of all that, the comment about clubs not "publicly releasing their books" is nonsense - any club that is a limited company or LLP has to publish accounts that show transfer fees in and out. That means every SPL club with the possible exception of ICT (I'm not sure about their structure). You can get those accounts from Companies House for a quid a time.

I think they mean not publicly releasing figures on their transfer spend but either way it's a lot of crap.

It's just made up numbers and estimates, any one of us could have written that article.

SouthamptonHibs
02-02-2013, 05:26 PM
This sort of post does my head in. Lets go back to the 90's and include the gimps cup wins. Then you say we have done nowt. You can't just ignore our cup win to make your point.

Hopefully my post never annoyed you to much.

theonlywayisup
02-02-2013, 07:29 PM
What surprises me about the figures is that over the last few years that Hertz have a net income slightly greater than Hibs.

Yet, during this period, we have reduced our debt and built a training centre and a new East Stand, whilst Hertz have built SFA and their debt has increased considerably.

If I was a Hertz fan (thank goodness I am not), I would be asking where has all the money gone? In Vlad's pocket? To pay excessive wages for football mercenaries?

MrSmith
02-02-2013, 08:35 PM
What surprises me about the figures is that over the last few years that Hertz have a net income slightly greater than Hibs.

Yet, during this period, we have reduced our debt and built a training centre and a new East Stand, whilst Hertz have built SFA and their debt has increased considerably.

If I was a Hertz fan (thank goodness I am not), I would be asking where has all the money gone? In Vlad's pocket? To pay excessive wages for football mercenaries?

There was never money in the first place! £22mil in debt when Vlad bought them and it has simply increased year on year. Maybe its been hidden but it is still there ... Would love to know how much debt - in its entirety - they have?

Andy74
02-02-2013, 09:28 PM

Paying for that existing debt takes a chunk.

Their turnover has been bigger than ours as well as them making more of a net gain on transfers.

The main winners have been players. God bless them. A number of them have taken millions out of them.

The Falcon
02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Paying for that existing debt takes a chunk.

Their turnover has been bigger than ours as well as them making more of a net gain on transfers.

The main winners have been players. God bless them. A number of them have taken millions out of them.

Someone on Sickback saying that the Yams have spent over £7m, not including wages, in each of the last three seasons that they have produced accounts for. By those calculations they spend nearly all their income before they even pay a penny in wages. Seems a bit bizarre?

Caversham Green
03-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Someone on Sickback saying that the Yams have spent over £7m, not including wages, in each of the last three seasons that they have produced accounts for. By those calculations they spend nearly all their income before they even pay a penny in wages. Seems a bit bizarre?

The yam is right though, and it's happened for more than the last three seasons. For those three seasons, if the yams had paid no wages at all they would have made a profit (including player sales) of £1.8m in 2008-09; £1.25m for 2009-10 and a loss of £259k for 2010-11. The 2011-12 accounts aren't available yet, but in earlier years they were consistently making losses before taking wages into account.

These results include non-cash costs such as depreciation and also interest which was at that time being rolled onto the debt and were financed by increasing the debt to UBIG and others. That debt increase is no longer available and the interest is now being paid as it arises, which is why their problems are not going to go away any time soon despite what some Hibbies seem to think.