PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Deadline Day - Back to drawing board

SMAXXA
31-01-2013, 11:47 PM
What the hell, the worst deadline day in history, I recon White and Sawyer ****** all our transfer dealings with wearing yellow again this year. FFS come out with sumit different man.

On a serious note, I feel a wee bit underwhelmed by this window, not saying we aint done good things with renewing the loans etc, just cant help feeling weve missed the boat a wee bit. Mind thats easy to say casue we dont know what goes on behind the sceen's, and probably not with a want of trying.

As much as ive been a massive fan of PF and I still am, I just hope these additions add that different dimention and we dont pitter out like Yogis team did. If we dont improve from recent weeks despite being relativly hard to beat I feel it could be a tough 2nd half of the season.

Anyone that has seen my posts will see ive been very supportive of the changing culture and fortunes at Hibs since PF came in, I just hope we have enough to kick on the rest of the season and if I am honest, I feel a wee bit unsure if we have. Thats not pre-judging Robertson and Done, not at all, just not convinved our lack of width has been addressed.

it may be that this is the next part of PF's jigsaw and I know people will come along and say its a work in progree (I am one of these people), however you have a great opportunity to kick on this season and I hope we aint missed it.

Roll on the sheep.

Hibbyradge
31-01-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm absolutely delighted with our work this month.

We kept all 3 loanees, something I never thought would happen, signed Craig for the summer and brought in Robertson and Done.

We also shipped out 7 wages.

That's a better window than anyone else in Scotland.

sesoim
01-02-2013, 12:10 AM

We kept all 3 loanees, something I never thought would happen, signed Craig for the summer and brought in Robertson and Done.

You are definitely a half glass full man.

We've picked up 10 points out of our last 12 games, we can't score if Griffiths doesn't, and yet we don't sign anybody new that seems capable of knocking in more than one goal every three months.

If we don't pull out a surprise from the out of contracts over the next few days, I don't see anything improving.

silverhibee
01-02-2013, 12:20 AM

Who did we ship out.

Scottie
01-02-2013, 12:38 AM

We've picked up 10 points out of our last 12 games, we can't score if Griffiths doesn't, and yet we don't sign anybody new that seems capable of knocking in more than one goal every three months.

If we don't pull out a surprise from the out of contracts over the next few days, I don't see anything improving.

Great post mate. Couldny agree more. :top marks

Russell The Dug
01-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Who did we ship out.

Galbraith. Was he number 7?

CallumLaidlaw
01-02-2013, 12:42 AM

But what makes you think that the likes of Robertson & Done won't help Sparky, Doyle, Caldwell, Cairney, score more? As well as grabbing half a dozen goals each?

We've signed half of a new midfield which both happen to be attacking, so lets be positive. 90% of PF's signings have been decent, Pats built from the back, so lets think that these 2 will help us create more.

San Siro
01-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Forward reinforcements definitely needed. Out of contracts I've actually heard of;

Louis Saha
Kris Boyd
Derek Riordan
Garry O'Connor
Junior Agogo
Craig Beattie *erects shield*
David Suazo
Ireneusz Jeleń
Simon Vukčević

We can immediately rule out Riordan, O'Connor and Agogo (if it didn't work last time it isn't going to work this time either), Beattie (fat unfit jambo *******), and probably Saha and Vukčević (been on Premier Leauge wages for so long they'd not even consider us and our paltry wage structure).

David Suazo has enough quality to do a good job in the SPL - he was sensational in his first Catania stint, but his move to Inter Milan really messed up his career. He has been without a club for six months now which means he may be nowhere near match fitness at the moment and therefore no good for throwing into the side any time soon.

I think it'll have to be Kris Boyd then...

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Saha haha!

basehibby
01-02-2013, 02:30 AM

Absolutely delighted would be overcooking it but I'm pretty pleased with the way things have shaped up.

I was quietly confident about securing at least a couple of our loan stars but securing all three is undeniably a result so great start there!

Robertson - seems like a great capture - a forward going midfielder with a couple of caps under his belt already, signed up for 2 and a half seasons. I'm not expecting Russel Latapy but I'm hopeful he'll help address our lack of adventurousness from that area.

Craig -genuinely quite an exciting signing IMO - one of the players that has really made St Johnstone tick in recent seasons and will improve our team. Pleasing that fairly strenuous attempts seem to have been made to pry him away - at least we're trying!

Done - Left wing is the position that had to be filled and all eyes will be on this guy to see if he can do the bizz. He's made a good progression up the english leagues playing 44 games in the Championship according to wiki (4 goals) so the signs are hopeful. When all's said and done, if Done does the business on the left we could yet look back on this window and say it was delightful!

frazeHFC
01-02-2013, 02:51 AM

I agree, pretty pleased. :agree:

Btw who have we released / sold this window?

Pete
01-02-2013, 03:23 AM

The people farmed out on loan will maybe be getting their wages covered by the other teams. Only Galbraith has been released as far as I know.

Greendub
01-02-2013, 05:50 AM
Smith, Stanton, Antell, Monaghan, sproule that's 5...

Have Galbraith and kujabi been launched?

I'm_cabbaged
01-02-2013, 06:13 AM
DG, and there's two Smiths out in loan ;)

Lucius Apuleius
01-02-2013, 06:36 AM

This. (although I cannae think of the 7)

Bleeds green
01-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Duno where 7 cones from u can hardly count month loan deals etc is farmed out wages!! Apart from sproule is anyone officially away from the club?

Hibbyradge
01-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Duno where 7 cones from u can hardly count month loan deals etc is farmed out wages!! Apart from sproule is anyone officially away from the club?

I guess I can count what I like if it's saving us cash, but according to the official site it's 7 Wages out. 2 permanently and 5 till the end of the season at least.

Calum Antell - extended loan at East Fife until the end of the season
Danny Galbraith - contract terminated by mutual consent
Harry Monaghan - extended loan to Annan Athletic until the end of the season
Euan Smith - loan to Arbroath until the end of the season
Scott Smith - loan to Dumbarton until the end of the season
Ivan Sproule - permanent move to Ross County
Sammy Stanton - extended loan at Cowdenbeath until the end of the season

If there's another months loan on top of that, all the better.

Just_Jimmy
01-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I'd bet you hibs are still picking up the tab for at least 50% of these players wages.

Brooster
01-02-2013, 07:52 AM
I guess I can count what I like if it's saving us cash, but according to the official site it's 7 Wages out. 2 permanently and 5 till the end of the season at least.

You can add Martin Scott. I would imagine Hibs are still paying part of the wages for these guys on loan but as you say we will be making some savings. Im happy with the transfer window dealings, 3 loans extended plus 2 players in. Cant really complain about that. Its now up to the manager and players to pick up the pace again and get us back on track.

Spike Mandela
01-02-2013, 07:54 AM

I'm happy enough with our new additions but let's not overegg the pudding. Only Aberdeen have LESS new faces than us for second half of season...............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20915156

McHibby
01-02-2013, 07:55 AM
I am pleased we signed Robertson, and it's a pity we couldn't bring forward the Craig move but at least he's a very decent player we know we have coming.

What does concern me a wee bit are the loan deals. Don't get me wrong, I am delighted we managed to extend McGivern and Griffiths' deals (I'm yet to be convinced with Claros TBH). And hopefully Done will do well. But it means there's always that bit of uncertainty. I imagine that could be quite tough for Pat, when he's trying to achieve some stability for us: eg not knowing whether the last game before the transfer window was going to be our loanees final game or if something would be arranged to keep them here.

Obviously we do have to make clever use of the loan market, the money's just not there to be paying huge fees. But it sometimes feels like we're a constant re-building project.

SaulGoodman
01-02-2013, 07:56 AM

Did you go to the Fifa 13 school of football? 'We can't score goals, we need better strikers'

Maybe adding a winger and a good midfielder will help?

Hibbyradge
01-02-2013, 08:01 AM
We have improved our team mid season.

That's the best any team can do in January.

If people thought we were suddenly going to make huge strides forward, they were living in cloud cuckoo land.

We could have lost all 3 of our loan players. We kept them. That's a massive success.

We have signed a tall, energetic midfield player, exactly what we've been crying our for. Success.

We also have a winger to give us the width, and the out balls, we so desperately need. Success.

We've also planned for the future by getting Craig on pre contract.

We should be celebrating not whinging.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm happy enough with our new additions but let's not overegg the pudding. Only Aberdeen have LESS new faces than us for second half of season...............

You seem to be counting the loan extensions for other clubs, but not Hibs.

Overall, we've been busier than anyone else. :agree:

Spike Mandela
01-02-2013, 08:06 AM
We have improved our team mid season.

That's the best any team can do in January.

If people thought we were suddenly going to make huge strides forward, they were living in cloud cuckoo land.

We could have lost all 3 of our loan players. We kept them. That's a massive success.

We have signed a tall, energetic midfield player, exactly what we've been crying our for. Success.

We also have a winger to give us the width, and the out balls, we so desperately need. Success.

We've also planned for the future by getting Craig on pre contract.

We should be celebrating not whinging.

Not everybody is whinging. I'm just curious why some people appear to be positively orgasmic about our dealings. I worry about your blood pressure Mr Radge should we ever truly have an amazing transfer window:wink:

Spike Mandela
01-02-2013, 08:14 AM
You seem to be counting the loan extensions for other clubs, but not Hibs.

Overall, we've been busier than anyone else. :agree:

I discounted all loan extensions. Only counting new faces at clubs. We will have to agree to disagree on this one Hibbyradge.:agree:

truehibernian
01-02-2013, 08:18 AM
I'll wait and see what players like Done and Robertson can offer this side - but I'm very unhappy at Hibs this window to be honest. No 'The Rangers', with second in our sights, and on a poor run of form football wise, the team is/was crying out for creativity and width/pace - we've signed one player, someone no one has real knowledge of, who has had injuries and no real game time throughout the course of the season.

It shows, for me, Hibs are really struggling financially (as all clubs are) and that there is no proper ambition to grab that second spot from our rivals - Hibs could have made an impressive statement by getting in Wylde, Craig and Taylor - can I be really honest here - I wasn't too fussed about Jorge Claros, as for me (only opinion), he's never truly been up with the pace of a game for 90 minutes. But I could say that about Stevenson, Wotherspoon and a couple of others if I'm equally honest.

Priorities in this side are the attacking options and pace. Sadly I can't see where it's coming from after this window.

I know that is very harsh, perhaps too harsh from me - but it's the way I feel waking up today. I'm particularly disappointed at not getting Liam Craig in.

Elephant Stone
01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
I'll wait and see what players like Done and Robertson can offer this side - but I'm very unhappy at Hibs this window to be honest. No 'The Rangers', with second in our sights, and on a poor run of form football wise, the team is/was crying out for creativity and width/pace - we've signed one player, someone no one has real knowledge of, who has had injuries and no real game time throughout the course of the season.

It shows, for me, Hibs are really struggling financially (as all clubs are) and that there is no proper ambition to grab that second spot from our rivals - Hibs could have made an impressive statement by getting in Wylde, Craig and Taylor - can I be really honest here - I wasn't too fussed about Jorge Claros, as for me (only opinion), he's never truly been up with the pace of a game for 90 minutes. But I could say that about Stevenson, Wotherspoon and a couple of others if I'm equally honest.

Priorities in this side are the attacking options and pace. Sadly I can't see where it's coming from after this window.

I know that is very harsh, perhaps too harsh from me - but it's the way I feel waking up today. I'm particularly disappointed at not getting Liam Craig in.

We've effectively made 5 signings in this window, with one coming in the summer. How much more would constitute ambition for you? You've acknowledged the struggles financially so I'm pretty confused as to how much more than this you'd consider ambitious. That's (at least) two windows in a row we've had much more activity than any other team in the league. How you can criticise anyone for having a lack of ambition is pretty amazing.

Lucius Apuleius
01-02-2013, 08:41 AM

We signed two (one on loan till season end) and re-signed three.

Lucius Apuleius
01-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Not everybody is whinging. I'm just curious why some people appear to be positively orgasmic about our dealings. I worry about your blood pressure Mr Radge should we ever truly have an amazing transfer window:wink:

Come on Spike, nobody is getting orgasmic mate but I personally think we have done pretty well. Long time since I had an orgasm right enough though. :-(

littleplum
01-02-2013, 08:47 AM

Dundee Utd? Motherwell?

Hibbyradge
01-02-2013, 09:08 AM
I discounted all loan extensions. Only counting new faces at clubs. We will have to agree to disagree on this one Hibbyradge.:agree:

I was wrong.

Ross County have been busier than us, but no one else.

lyonhibs
01-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Come on Spike, nobody is getting orgasmic mate but I personally think we have done pretty well. Long time since I had an orgasm right enough though. :-(

I think we can file this one under "over share"

The Nostradamus scenario would have to lose all 3 loanees, and that wasn't an impossible scenario, especially for Claros and Griffiths.

So we've kept 3 internationalists, added another plus a lad who was rumoured to be the subject of a £500k from one of this season's top Championship teams only 6 months ago. Craig is coming in the summer.

I fail to see how this has been anything other than a decent January window

Lucius Apuleius
01-02-2013, 09:22 AM

The Nostradamus scenario would have to lose all 3 loanees, and that wasn't an impossible scenario, especially for Claros and Griffiths.

So we've kept 3 internationalists, added another plus a lad who was rumoured to be the subject of a £500k from one of this season's top Championship teams only 6 months ago. Craig is coming in the summer.

:greengrin Sorry mate.

truehibernian
01-02-2013, 09:23 AM
We've effectively made 5 signings in this window, with one coming in the summer. How much more would constitute ambition for you? You've acknowledged the struggles financially so I'm pretty confused as to how much more than this you'd consider ambitious. That's two windows in a row we've had much more activity than any other team in the league. How you can criticise anyone for having a lack of ambition is pretty amazing.

I can easily question it mate - it's my right as a fan of Hibernian and investor in the club to criticise a transfer policy I think is signing the wrong type of player for the club at this time in our season. It's all about opinions at the end of the day and you differ from me.

Our midfield is far too narrow, far too defensively minded and offers very very little in genuine pace and drive - how many have we scored from midfield this season ? We have no genuine width in the side and for me that has been lacking for at the very least 4 seasons - again, if I'm brutally honest, I cannot remember the last time Hibernian Football Club had natural left and right wingers at the club that were 'first pick' players.

The last truly creative midfielder was little Zemmama - hot and cold admittedly, but we won more games when he played than lost. And he got the fans excited and on their feet - for me a team needs little livewires that can create from nothing. Hibs don't have that across the middle.

Craig is a known commodity and I'm delighted he's coming - but he would have added an extra impetus for that push for second. McGivern is one I'm very happy at getting secured, Griffiths has let himself down off the park - I think it's affecting his game and don't care what anyone says. He's far too concerned about what folk say or accuse him of on social media - his head isn't truly focused on his game, and that's a shame as he's a magical wee player. Claros - as I said, I'm a hard to please fan but he's just not cut the mustard for me and offers much the same as Taiwo, Deegan and Stevenson - he won't create many chances - so for me he was 'dispensable'.

I know it's harsh - and I have said that Pat needs 3 or 4 windows at least to form the side - but fail to win at the weekend, season will effectively be over in the eyes of many many fans, and attendances will plummet - of that I have absolutely no doubt. That will affect the team. I'm actually a happy clapper at the end of the day - but I can't hide my disappointment that Hibs haven't brought in 2 or 3 creative, exciting players for the run-in. Sorry if that's unfair to some.

neil7908
01-02-2013, 09:41 AM

I think decent is probably about the right word. The only thing I could realistically conceive to make the window better would have been to bring in another forward. But as folk have said repeatedly, we've really secured 6 players in Jan - ok 4 are loans who may not be here next summer and one wont arrive till the summer but its clear that plenty of work has gone on to get business done, the club haven't just been twiddling their thumbs,

Ultimately the proof will be in the pudding. If Done and Robertson chip in with a few goals and assists and help to change the shape of the team in a positive manner we'll look back at the window as being a successful one. Obviously if the poor results and performances continue then a different view will emerge, time will tell on that one but what the fans have asked for is a wide player with a bit of pace and more attacking threat from midfielder - both have been delivered. Genuinely curious as to what else folk would have had us do?

Lyle Taylor was mentioned a fair bit and sounds like a decent option but how much will Falkirk want for him? I'm guessing a six figure fee for a guy who has never really been tested above Div 1 level - we just dont have the cash for that and frankly if we did, think it could be spent in a smarter way.

I understand some negativity as the performances and results have'nt been good enough for a wee while now but changes have been made in January, largely the same ones that the fans have been clamouring for. Now we just need to back the team and the new players and hope they are good enough to improve the side.

Golden Bear
01-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby has announced that he's considerably underwhelmed by yesterdays transfer activity but this has made him a very happy man.

:agree:

Spike Mandela
01-02-2013, 09:52 AM

Dundee Utd? Motherwell?

I was wrong.

Ross County have been busier than us, but no one else.

Nearly all clubs have signed one or two new faces just like us. Well done littleplum, misread Dundde Utd's outs for their in.:embarrass Tough one for Jackie Mac that.

Hopefully your next orgasm is the cup final in May Lucius:wink:

R'Albin
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Only took a semi for me to achieve one last year :agree:

Lucius Apuleius
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Nearly all clubs have signed one or two new faces just like us. Well done littleplum, misread Dundde Utd's outs for their in.:embarrass Tough one for Jackie Mac that.

It will be a purely mental one if it is mate. :greengrin

And correct all clubs seem to have taken about the same number as us, however, most of them look like young guys whereas I honestly think we have a couple of seasoned pros in now and one to come in the summer. Having said that, come the summer, Craig won't count as most people will say it was old business.:wink:

NAE NOOKIE
01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
We needed an attacking midfield player and a wide player and got both. Whether they will make a difference obviously remains to be seen.

One thing I totally agree with is that Sundays game is massive for us now. If the sheep dump us out of the cup for a lot of fans our season will be over.

Lets face it .... Normally 4th place at this time of the season would be a fantastic effort and we would be a good number of points ahead of at least the bottom 4 clubs. But not this season ...... the truth is that if you take games in hand into account we could easily find ourselves in 3rd bottom spot if we dont get a grip and the results of the other clubs dont go our way.

The worst thing about this fact is that it has happened not because of games lost or drawn against the likes of Motherwell, Celtic, Dundee Utd or even the Yams ..... we have held our own against these clubs. The truth here is that we have gained one point in 5 matches against the bottom two clubs ...... That is one point out of a possible 15 against ... A) the bottom club, who under normal circumstances cant buy a win and ... B) a club from a town the size of Peebles who are fast becoming our bogey team.

We are now over half way into the season, more than enough time for excuses for poor results like " we need time to gell as a team " to be unacceptable .... Another thing for sure is that Dundee and Ross County dont have any better players than we do ... in fact on paper we have a stronger squad than both of these clubs.

Please lets not have another season of failure ..... and by that I mean finishing behind clubs who we should be doing better than.

theonlywayisup
01-02-2013, 11:14 AM

I feel a bit disappointed that Sam Stanton is on loan until the end of the season. I would have hoped that when we get towards the seasons end and final league places are secured, we could have given Sam a league start to get him used to the surroundings for next season. Also, Harris too. It could be the creativity we all say we need could come from within!

Re Fenlon, I believe last season was all about keeping us in the SPL. This season was all about making us difficult to beat. For most games he has achieved this, though we have lost far too many games against teams we should be beating. Next season, IMO, it is all about adding flair to a solid base. One step at a time, progress is being made. I have a feeling next season will be good. We have to give Fenlon time!

steviej147
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM

this is the ins-outs at er.Players in (alphabetical order)
Jorge Claros (loan extension until the end of the season)
Matt Done (loan from Barnsley FC until the end of the season)
Leigh Griffiths (loan extension until the end of the season)
Ryan McGivern (loan extension until the end of the season)
Scott Robertson (transfer from Blackpool FC)
Players out (alphabetical order)

FranckSuzy
01-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby has announced that he's considerably underwhelmed by yesterdays transfer activity but this has made him a very happy man.

:agree:

I'm working with him tomorrow :rolleyes: :greengrin

San Siro
01-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I am going to keep repeating the name Vukčević in the hope someone from the club is actually reading this. The team needs more wingers, this guy would be class in the SPL, he's available on a free right now, what is stopping you???

lyonhibs
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I am going to keep repeating the name Vukčević in the hope someone from the club is actually reading this. The team needs more wingers, this guy would be class in the SPL, he's available on a free right now, what is stopping you???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbO5mbcdTdk

This chap??

You reckon we'll get him for - at most - £3/4 k a week??

:no way:

Elephant Stone
01-02-2013, 12:48 PM
I can easily question it mate - it's my right as a fan of Hibernian and investor in the club to criticise a transfer policy I think is signing the wrong type of player for the club at this time in our season. It's all about opinions at the end of the day and you differ from me.

Our midfield is far too narrow, far too defensively minded and offers very very little in genuine pace and drive - how many have we scored from midfield this season ? We have no genuine width in the side and for me that has been lacking for at the very least 4 seasons - again, if I'm brutally honest, I cannot remember the last time Hibernian Football Club had natural left and right wingers at the club that were 'first pick' players.

The last truly creative midfielder was little Zemmama - hot and cold admittedly, but we won more games when he played than lost. And he got the fans excited and on their feet - for me a team needs little livewires that can create from nothing. Hibs don't have that across the middle.

Craig is a known commodity and I'm delighted he's coming - but he would have added an extra impetus for that push for second. McGivern is one I'm very happy at getting secured, Griffiths has let himself down off the park - I think it's affecting his game and don't care what anyone says. He's far too concerned about what folk say or accuse him of on social media - his head isn't truly focused on his game, and that's a shame as he's a magical wee player. Claros - as I said, I'm a hard to please fan but he's just not cut the mustard for me and offers much the same as Taiwo, Deegan and Stevenson - he won't create many chances - so for me he was 'dispensable'.

I know it's harsh - and I have said that Pat needs 3 or 4 windows at least to form the side - but fail to win at the weekend, season will effectively be over in the eyes of many many fans, and attendances will plummet - of that I have absolutely no doubt. That will affect the team. I'm actually a happy clapper at the end of the day - but I can't hide my disappointment that Hibs haven't brought in 2 or 3 creative, exciting players for the run-in. Sorry if that's unfair to some.

I find that people who talk about their "rights to question" are usually the people who are unhappy regardless of how things go. Sorry if this isn't the case with you, but it's my right to speculate. :wink:

I never said anyone didn't have a right to question the signings. I'm just very, very surprised that someone could be "very disappointed" given that we've kept the 3 loanees (which looked very doubtful) and actually managed to add two more. More importantly I can't believe you consider this to be a lack of ambition, given that we've consistently done more than the rest of the teams in the league in recent transfer windows, all while we're losing money.

truehibernian
01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
I find that people who talk about their "rights to question" are usually the people who are unhappy regardless of how things go. Sorry if this isn't the case with you, but it's my right to speculate. :wink:

I never said anyone didn't have a right to question the signings. I'm just very, very surprised that someone could be "very disappointed" given that we've kept the 3 loanees (which looked very doubtful) and actually managed to add two more. More importantly I can't believe you consider this to be a lack of ambition, given that we've consistently done more than the rest of the teams in the league in recent transfer windows, all while we're losing money.

Take a wee dip sample of previous posts - I always try and be constructive about Hibs, praise when it's due, try not to be too judgemental, and often eat humble pie with regards players who I feel haven't hit their potential but have started to show improvement. Am I unhappy at the way Hibs are being run - again, read previous posts and you'll see I tend to back managers until results simply dictate a change is necessary - my recent real criticism of Hibernian, of which I've been consistent this year, is that I would like Rod to step aside and get fresh boardroom change (and I've been a supporter of Rod in previous years on .net) - I think he has now become a little divisive, things are said about him which are either truths/lies, whispers and shrouded in Easter Road mythical secrecy - he is now for example a stereotype/character of his own unfortunate making - in laymans terms he's seen as a skinflint or penny pincher, when the books show he's not (and Hibs are not).................which brings me to the other point in bold - correct, we have done more business - for me, in numbers only - it's quality of player brought in and type that I have a wee right to have a go at.

Ian Murray nailed it in a recent interview - Hughes team started fast and built up points - but then other teams sussed us out and there was no Plan B in games. Many said it on here too. If you have no Plan B, that can be tactics but also the kind of player or shape you play. Hughes played 4-3-3 asking Derek to play a 'bit of both'. No wingers really in the side (Galbraith was but wasn't played as natural wide man, when he was played at all). If games were going away from us, he'd then plump for 4-4-2 with big Nishy being target man (which brought a fair amount of stick for the big man when he went off form). The signings of Duffy and Trakys summed up his tenure for me, and the 'quality' of player we were getting in.

Calderwood - negative football from the off, 4-5-1 played at home versus Hamilton and St Mirren, no creative players brought in. Team low on confidence, he was given money, he brought in Agogo, O'Connor, Sproule, O'Hanlon etc.

Yep, we've maybe done more business than the rest - it's the actual business that is worthy of criticism - we have after all been bottom 6 last two seasons, missing relegation by a whisker last season, been put out the cups by first and second division sides, and lost a huge derby which will take time to get over - all involving the business of bringing more than the rest in.

For me, a team needs a strong spine, it needs leaders, and it needs pace - but also players that can play a number of systems, or to have players who play a defined position. Does Stuart McCall play Chris Humphrey at full back, up front, or as a central midfielder ? Does McGlynn play Novikovas as a striker or midfielder ? Was Templeton or MacKay-Stevens played centrally ? They are all wingers, good at their art, and good at playing with pace and width.

Hibs have not had a player like that for a number of years, and the side absolutely needs it - instead we have Claros, Deegan, Taiwo, Stevenson - with Wotherspoon getting asked to play wide/central/middle, much like Cairney.

It's perhaps through sheer frustration of wanting us to do well that I've come out and said I'm unhappy at this window - because I know the players we are interested in, ones we've been strongly linked with, and it would have been nice to get them, on a 2/3 year deal, which in turn means that even if we lose at the weekend, the players know they are there for the duration and a team spirit is built. I also think 2nd is easily within reach - and a little investment would have got us there. Sorry if it comes across as negative and frustrated - but if you think back to the players that have come into Easter Road the last 3 seasons - you'll surely realise quite quickly that the quality just wasn't there. Fenlon is changing that, and a lot of the mentality at the club - just wish Rod and STF had maybe pushed the boat out a wee bit that's all.

Andy74
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Take a wee dip sample of previous posts - I always try and be constructive about Hibs, praise when it's due, try not to be too judgemental, and often eat humble pie with regards players who I feel haven't hit their potential but have started to show improvement. Am I unhappy at the way Hibs are being run - again, read previous posts and you'll see I tend to back managers until results simply dictate a change is necessary - my recent real criticism of Hibernian, of which I've been consistent this year, is that I would like Rod to step aside and get fresh boardroom change (and I've been a supporter of Rod in previous years on .net) - I think he has now become a little divisive, things are said about him which are either truths/lies, whispers and shrouded in Easter Road mythical secrecy - he is now for example a stereotype/character of his own unfortunate making - in laymans terms he's seen as a skinflint or penny pincher, when the books show he's not (and Hibs are not).................which brings me to the other point in bold - correct, we have done more business - for me, in numbers only - it's quality of player brought in and type that I have a wee right to have a go at.

Ian Murray nailed it in a recent interview - Hughes team started fast and built up points - but then other teams sussed us out and there was no Plan B in games. Many said it on here too. If you have no Plan B, that can be tactics but also the kind of player or shape you play. Hughes played 4-3-3 asking Derek to play a 'bit of both'. No wingers really in the side (Galbraith was but wasn't played as natural wide man, when he was played at all). If games were going away from us, he'd then plump for 4-4-2 with big Nishy being target man (which brought a fair amount of stick for the big man when he went off form). The signings of Duffy and Trakys summed up his tenure for me, and the 'quality' of player we were getting in.

Calderwood - negative football from the off, 4-5-1 played at home versus Hamilton and St Mirren, no creative players brought in. Team low on confidence, he was given money, he brought in Agogo, O'Connor, Sproule, O'Hanlon etc.

Yep, we've maybe done more business than the rest - it's the actual business that is worthy of criticism - we have after all been bottom 6 last two seasons, missing relegation by a whisker last season, been put out the cups by first and second division sides, and lost a huge derby which will take time to get over - all involving the business of bringing more than the rest in.

For me, a team needs a strong spine, it needs leaders, and it needs pace - but also players that can play a number of systems, or to have players who play a defined position. Does Stuart McCall play Chris Humphrey at full back, up front, or as a central midfielder ? Does McGlynn play Novikovas as a striker or midfielder ? Was Templeton or MacKay-Stevens played centrally ? They are all wingers, good at their art, and good at playing with pace and width.

Hibs have not had a player like that for a number of years, and the side absolutely needs it - instead we have Claros, Deegan, Taiwo, Stevenson - with Wotherspoon getting asked to play wide/central/middle, much like Cairney.

It's perhaps through sheer frustration of wanting us to do well that I've come out and said I'm unhappy at this window - because I know the players we are interested in, ones we've been strongly linked with, and it would have been nice to get them, on a 2/3 year deal, which in turn means that even if we lose at the weekend, the players know they are there for the duration and a team spirit is built. I also think 2nd is easily within reach - and a little investment would have got us there. Sorry if it comes across as negative and frustrated - but if you think back to the players that have come into Easter Road the last 3 seasons - you'll surely realise quite quickly that the quality just wasn't there. Fenlon is changing that, and a lot of the mentality at the club - just wish Rod and STF had maybe pushed the boat out a wee bit that's all.

So you've carefully gone through all the accumulated problems caused by previous managers over a number of years and then ended with the fact you want it all changed right now. You also want it all paid for by someone else.

Does that sound reasonable to you?

We are trying to pick ourselves back up the way and I really don't see the sense in sniping about the wee bits that we still have to do.

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-02-2013, 02:34 PM
What is the chat with young Harris, do people who have seen him think he is good enough if we recall that guys like Riordan, Brown etc stood out in lower leagues and u21 leagues?

Also, what is his natural position? It would be nice to see a young lad breaking through but i wonder why it hasn't happened so far.

truehibernian
01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
So you've carefully gone through all the accumulated problems caused by previous managers over a number of years and then ended with the fact you want it all changed right now. You also want it all paid for by someone else.

Does that sound reasonable to you?

We are trying to pick ourselves back up the way and I really don't see the sense in sniping about the wee bits that we still have to do.

That's not what I'm saying at all - I'm looking at the type of player that previous managers have brought in, and from an attacking, entertaining point of view, stating I've not seen players who I feel are creative bar a couple.

Pat is doing well, and he appears to be going down the right path in identifying players - my point, again, is that for the first time in many many years, second place is up for grabs. That's a very big incentive. A worthy risk - that's what I'm putting up for debate - will we get second with the side as it stands - not in my opinion, and that's purely down to the type of football we are playing. Teams have quite easily negated us these last few games - I'd liked us to have brought in two good, pacy wingers and a striker - we were in for all three I'm told. We got one but I'm not convinced it was one that we really really wanted.

A win at the weekend will cure all my ills Andy. But not for one minute am I suggesting an immediate quick fix - just wiser player investment and getting back to good, attacking football.

JimBHibees
01-02-2013, 02:40 PM

We just signed a winger. :confused:

truehibernian
01-02-2013, 03:10 PM
We just signed a winger. :confused:

I know Jim, I'm sounding bah humbug - I just like and was brought up playing a certain way in football and like pace and width - I look at other sides around us and I see better attacking options that end of the pitch I suppose. And a left and right winger in a side causing havoc is my wee Hibs dream :greengrin

I'm sure Matt Done will be a good addition - I'm just not sure if he was Pat's real choice. Who knows.

He'll get my support regardless though buddy :agree:

Mr White
01-02-2013, 03:20 PM
What is the chat with young Harris, do people who have seen him think he is good enough if we recall that guys like Riordan, Brown etc stood out in lower leagues and u21 leagues?

Also, what is his natural position? It would be nice to see a young lad breaking through but i wonder why it hasn't happened so far.
brown didn't go on loan and hadn't even played for the reserves IIRC when Williamson chucked him on against the dons aged 17 and him and deek ripped them a new one, we were 1 down when those 2 replaced tam and goc and we won 3-1.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2013, 03:25 PM

I'm guessing the management don't think he's ready yet, or maybe they are waiting for your opinion first?

jeffers
01-02-2013, 03:59 PM

I agree with quite a lot of what you say (although I'm a fan of Claros !)

This is my first season back attending ER regularly for quite a few years and tbh my expectations weren't that high for this season, however after a decent start and the realisation that other than Celtic noone was that great I started to think (hope) 2nd or 3rd was a possibility. The atmosphere at ER has been good and at times we have played some decent football. Latterly tho it has been very poor and its not just down to players underperforming. Teams have sussed us out and were are far too reliant on Sparky for goals. I do like Pat Fenlon but I worry that he is too negative and his signings are all a bit too similar (I hope Done is a bit different.) It's all very well being hard to beat but if you create very little at the other end......

We are crying out for a bit of flair and pace in the side and 3 windows later we've not really addressed it. I know others will say we have made progress but come the end of the season we could possibly lose the three loan signings we have just re-signed and be back to another rebuilding job.

VPHIBEE
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I agree with quite a lot of what you say (although I'm a fan of Claros !)

This is my first season back attending ER regularly for quite a few years and tbh my expectations weren't that high for this season, however after a decent start and the realisation that other than Celtic noone was that great I started to think (hope) 2nd or 3rd was a possibility. The atmosphere at ER has been good and at times we have played some decent football. Latterly tho it has been very poor and its not just down to players underperforming. Teams have sussed us out and were are far too reliant on Sparky for goals. I do like Pat Fenlon but I worry that he is too negative and his signings are all a bit too similar (I hope Done is a bit different.) It's all very well being hard to beat but if you create very little at the other end......

We are crying out for a bit of flair and pace in the side and 3 windows later we've not really addressed it. I know others will say we have made progress but come the end of the season we could possibly lose the three loan signings we have just re-signed and be back to another rebuilding job.

We asked for a winger and we got one. We asked for an attacking midfielder and we got one. I am hoping that with Cairney and Done playing giving us the width everyone knows we have been lacking, that a big strong striker like Kuqi may come on to a game and score a few for us. He has been a decent player down south in competitive leagues. When he has played for us the service has not been there due to the lack of width. Kuqi might just be like a new signing also. Let's see how we get on before we start writing off our chances. I also think keeping Griffiths, McGivern and Claros was good business. Imagine how we would be feeling if we had lost all three. I too am keen too see us winning more games. At least we compete in our games now which is a massive improvement on the last few years.

jeffers
01-02-2013, 04:51 PM
We asked for a winger and we got one. We asked for an attacking midfielder and we got one. I am hoping that with Cairney and Done playing giving us the width everyone knows we have been lacking, that a big strong striker like Kuqi may come on to a game and score a few for us. He has been a decent player down south in competitive leagues. When he has played for us the service has not been there due to the lack of width. Kuqi might just be like a new signing also. Let's see how we get on before we start writing off our chances. I also think keeping Griffiths, McGivern and Claros was good business. Imagine how we would be feeling if we had lost all three. I too am keen too see us winning more games. At least we compete in our games now which is a massive improvement on the last few years.

I hope Done is fit and can hit the ground running and while I'm pleased with Robertson, I felt we already had an attacking midfielder in Cairney. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see Paddy going with Robertson, Claros, Cairney and Done in the same team. I don't really rate either but he seems intent in finding places for Wotherspoon & Deegan.

I have no doubt Kuqi was a good player, but I feel this is one season too far for him

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm guessing the management don't think he's ready yet, or maybe they are waiting for your opinion first?

Sit down, i was only asking what people thought about him....

Fergus52
02-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Why blatantly make things up? He's had 13 appearances and that's including injuries.

Also maybe a fast winger who crystal palace wanted for 500k might not be good enough for the soaring heights of the spl in your eyes. But in mine he seems like a decent signing

truehibernian
02-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Why blatantly make things up? He's had 13 appearances and that's including injuries.

Also maybe a fast winger who crystal palace wanted for 500k might not be good enough for the soaring heights of the spl in your eyes. But in mine he seems like a decent signing

He's not played a full 90 minute game of football since the opening day of the season, and has appeared from the bench the latter part of those appearances.

My point was that we were in for Lyle Taylor, Liam Craig and I believe a Queens player - all of whom playing regularly, up to speed, no question of fitness, and all scoring goals frequently - they would however have meant investment in the way of fees.

If Done hits the ground running I'll happily concede and eat humble pie - however at this stage we've signed a player who is not in my opinion fully up to speed football wise - the targets I mentioned are/were and all of them have experience of Scottish football, Craig in particular would have been a tremendous boost to the run in.

If he has the same impact as Ivan's had at Ross County I'll be a happy man though.

Fergus52
02-02-2013, 11:48 AM
He's not played a full 90 minute game of football since the opening day of the season, and has appeared from the bench the latter part of those appearances.

My point was that we were in for Lyle Taylor, Liam Craig and I believe a Queens player - all of whom playing regularly, up to speed, no question of fitness, and all scoring goals frequently - they would however have meant investment in the way of fees.

If Done hits the ground running I'll happily concede and eat humble pie - however at this stage we've signed a player who is not in my opinion fully up to speed football wise - the targets I mentioned are/were and all of them have experience of Scottish football, Craig in particular would have been a tremendous boost to the run in.

If he has the same impact as Ivan's had at Ross County I'll be a happy man though.

Fair enough!

apologies if I seemed agressive.

Rivers Cuomo
02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Forward reinforcements definitely needed. Out of contracts I've actually heard of;

Louis Saha
Kris Boyd
Derek Riordan
Garry O'Connor
Junior Agogo
Craig Beattie *erects shield*
David Suazo
Ireneusz Jeleń
Simon Vukčević

We can immediately rule out Riordan, O'Connor and Agogo (if it didn't work last time it isn't going to work this time either), Beattie (fat unfit jambo *******), and probably Saha and Vukčević (been on Premier Leauge wages for so long they'd not even consider us and our paltry wage structure).

David Suazo has enough quality to do a good job in the SPL - he was sensational in his first Catania stint, but his move to Inter Milan really messed up his career. He has been without a club for six months now which means he may be nowhere near match fitness at the moment and therefore no good for throwing into the side any time soon.

I think it'll have to be Kris Boyd then...

Haha id be buzzing if we signed Vukcevic, FM legend!

Andy74
02-02-2013, 06:47 PM

We don't have money to pay fees from though and January is also an expensive time to try and encourage teams to part with players. I'd expect us to be for some of the type of players you mentioned in the summer or when they become available.

Alex Trager
04-02-2013, 01:29 PM
I know all is gone and it has shut up for the remainder of the season but after watching the UTD highlights if we could get sparky to stay after the summer, I believe he's a free agent then? And get Jon daly, the. We will be very happy.
Daly is exactly what we need. Especially if pat is going to persist with this long ball. He wins headers to which MS feeds off of. And it works perfectly. Think LG and JD would be perfect together