PDA

View Full Version : NHC Beckham donates his PSG salary to a local childrens charity

english_hibee
31-01-2013, 06:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21281665

Always been a fan of Becks, and this cements that. A great gesture, he certainly can afford it, but he didn't need to.

Absolutely top bloke :not worth

Father Ted
31-01-2013, 07:08 PM
He's a media tart that would do or say almost anything to stay in the limelight

frazeHFC
31-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Is very good of him indeed!

3pm
31-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Come on man, that's a great gesture.

english_hibee
31-01-2013, 07:12 PM

Don't think he especially "needs" to do anything to stay in the limelight - it's not as though the entire family was dropping into obscurity His missus bought a fish supper the other day and it was in the paper!

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Class.

He's going all out for a knighthood.

Treadstone
31-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Don't think he especially "needs" to do anything to stay in the limelight - it's not as though the entire family was dropping into obscurity His missus bought a fish supper the other day and it was in the paper!

Almost 100% sure it was stage managed.

hibsbollah
31-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I like(d) him, a great gesture with the charity, shame hes going to a club everybody hates. I hope Barton gives him a warm welcome at the next Classique.

Pretty Boy
31-01-2013, 07:48 PM
David Beckham is a good guy. Simple as that.

WHUHibs
31-01-2013, 08:03 PM
True gent,,,,there will always be people who will look at a reason to bash him,,that's just the British way!

Pete
31-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Beckham belongs at Celtic.

Scouse Hibee
31-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Every message board and village has one!

bingo70
31-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Win win situation all round, the charities benefit from the money, he benefits from the good publicity and the club were going to be paying him anyway so they're no worse off.

Doesn't really matter what his motives were does it?

Soldiersteve
31-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Class player, class gesture.
Class guy.

.Sean.
31-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Beckham belongs at Celtic.

No he doesn't, reason being David Beckham isn't a ****bag.

Pete
31-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Every message board and village has one!

A priest?

Scouse Hibee
31-01-2013, 08:45 PM
A priest?

Not in my village.

jdships
31-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Fine gesture by any standards but doesn't get away from the Beckhams are both ' Attention Seekers ' and boring with it :rolleyes:

Shows what can be made with minimal education and personality

Hibrandenburg
31-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Fine gesture by any standards but doesn't get away from the Beckhams are both ' Attention Seekers ' and boring with it :rolleyes:

Shows what can be made with minimal education and personality

You make that sound like a bad thing!

Corstorphine Hibby
31-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Class player, class gesture.
Class guy.

Fantastic gesture but anyone with real class could have given the money to charity on the qt.

PaulC
31-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Magnifique :sauzee:

jdships
31-01-2013, 09:59 PM
You make that sound like a bad thing!

Not at all
He has made a fortune from simply kicking a ball about and she the same with minimal talent
Give me a lad from a poor background who takes an apprenticeship and makes a decent life for himself in preference to a couple of drama queens
who use every opportunity to gain publicity , this being one of them ..
I know a lad who plays part time with a SFL 2nd Div team and does ten hours a week at a childrens home helping kids to play football
Never goes running to the media foe exposure , has never been mentioned in the newspapers , wont get an MBE and will never be rich
However he is as every bit as happy with what he does as the B's

:top marks

Hibrandenburg
31-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Not at all
He has made a fortune from simply kicking a ball about and she the same with minimal talent
Give me a lad from a poor background who takes an apprenticeship and makes a decent life for himself in preference to a couple of drama queens
I know a lad who plays part time with a SFL 2nd Div team and does ten hours a week at a childrens home helping kids to play football
Never goes running to the media foe exposure , has never been mentioned in the newspapers , wont get an MBE and will never be rich

:thumbsup:

english_hibee
31-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Fantastic gesture but anyone with real class could have given the money to charity on the qt.

But charities benefit from celeb endorsements too and therefore making it public is a great thing. I don't think he mentioned it to say "hey look at me, what a fab chap I am". - DB is an ambassador for UNICEF, does a lot of work for Unite Against Aids, Help the Heroes, and has set up a charity with his wife to give wheelchairs to children who can't necessarily afford them. If a celebrity getting behind a charity raises more awareness and funds for said charity then that's a good thing. Its a win win in my opinion.

english_hibee
31-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Not at all

And if your friend had made it big, and could raise more awareness and funds for the childrens home by volunteering there, while knowing the worlds' media would be following his every move, would that have been a bad thing?

Sir David Gray
31-01-2013, 10:34 PM
It's almost impossible to dislike David Beckham. The guy just has a very endearing personality and whether or not it's a publicity seeking stunt, it's still a great gesture.

Mon Dieu4
31-01-2013, 10:40 PM
It's almost impossible to dislike David Beckham. The guy just has a very endearing personality and whether or not it's a publicity seeking stunt, it's still a great gesture.

i always could manage the impossible

jgl07
01-02-2013, 02:27 AM
He was donating 75% to the French Government anyway!

Mark79
01-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Wish kuqi would donate his salary to charity.

thebigman1875
01-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Correct.

Just_Jimmy
01-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Imagine if he had james mcpake's looks.

hibsbollah
01-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Imagine if he had james mcpake's looks.

McPake is 'Buff'. End of.

Bostonhibby
01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Fester donates his salary every month, not sure if its voluntary or not. Tattoo man did it twice FFS, come on Becks surely its a publicity stunt, these guys and many like them have been doing it quietly for ages in their own way.

Andy74
01-02-2013, 09:39 AM
I sponsored someone a fiver today. Where's my thread? I'll bet that was more of my wealth than this will dent his.

It's been we'll managed. A French charity too, not one close to Beckham. Both he and PSG will get good local publicity out of this.

It's hard not see everything these guys do, even generous gestures, as a calculated part of the brand strategy.

heretoday
01-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Beckham is so boring it's unbelievable.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2013, 10:01 AM
I really despair at people sometimes.

Does anyone think for one minute that the charity in question that will soon be receiving somewhere in the region of £300 000 a month gives a flying one if Beckham gets a bit good publicity out of this? Do people realise how much good that money will do?

I worked for a charity for a while and know how hard it is to raise awareness and earn donations. The charity I worked for was based in Dundee. On a microscopic scale compared to Beckham we managed to get Dundee United players to wear t shirts with the charity name on it whilst warming up for a Scottish Cup semi final. The number of extra hits our website got in the following days was in the hundreds and for a week or so after anonymous donations soared. We couldnt have got that kind of interest without that help. Like it or not 'celebrity' endorsements work for charities as well as consumer products.

As for Beckham himself. I have never met the man. The only person I know who has is a friend who met him whilst serving in Afghanistan. By his account Beckham was grounded, friendly, appeared genuinely interested when talking to them and spent several hours having photos taken and signing autographs. He probably got a bit good publicity out of that as well. Selfish **** that he is.

lyonhibs
01-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Does anyone think for one minute that the charity in question that will soon be receiving somewhere in the region of £300 000 a month gives a flying one if Beckham gets a bit good publicity out of this? Do people realise how much good that money will do?

I worked for a charity for a while and know how hard it is to raise awareness and earn donations. The charity I worked for was based in Dundee. On a microscopic scale compared to Beckham we managed to get Dundee United players to wear t shirts with the charity name on it whilst warming up for a Scottish Cup semi final. The number of extra hits our website got in the following days was in the hundreds and for a week or so after anonymous donations soared. We couldnt have got that kind of interest without that help. Like it or not 'celebrity' endorsements work for charities as well as consumer products.

As for Beckham himself. I have never met the man. The only person I know who has is a friend who met him whilst serving in Afghanistan. By his account Beckham was grounded, friendly, appeared genuinely interested when talking to them and spent several hours having photos taken and signing autographs. He probably got a bit good publicity out of that as well. Selfish **** that he is.

But, ehhhhh, they're bad and part of a brand marketing strategy (or something)

Corstorphine Hibby
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
But charities benefit from celeb endorsements too and therefore making it public is a great thing. I don't think he mentioned it to say "hey look at me, what a fab chap I am". - DB is an ambassador for UNICEF, does a lot of work for Unite Against Aids, Help the Heroes, and has set up a charity with his wife to give wheelchairs to children who can't necessarily afford them. If a celebrity getting behind a charity raises more awareness and funds for said charity then that's a good thing. Its a win win in my opinion.

I was responding to the point raised by the previous poster that the giving of his salary to charity was a 'class gesture' . It was this specific point I was disagreeing with. My point was that I'm sure he could have given the charity the donation on the qt. That, in my opinion would be the 'class' thing to do.

Nice thing to do though.

And He looked up and saw the rich making a grand gesture of putting their gifts into the money box. And He saw a certain poor widow quietly putting in two small copper coins. And He said, 'Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all of them; for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to live on.

Johnny Clash
01-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I would love it if this gesture was a sincere way of saying that it's totally wrong that the obscene amount of money confined to a handful of super rich people could be used to eradicate world poverty!

Otherwise it would be better if he had made a private donation, like most people do who donate to good causes.

Yes, it's also true that the French govt would have taxed his 3 mil by 75% and then distributed that money into all areas of their society.

I'm not being cynical but David Beckham will still have £168 million to play with and four 20 bed mansions around the world... and lots more.

So yes, great... let's see pressure applied to all the super rich to give to worthy causes. It's not the ideal way of doing things but better than
the pure greed that currently exists.

Brand Beckham is now lead item on the news throughout the world. Even Hibs.net has a thread mainly praising him.

I am not being negative but I'm not ready to feint either!

cabbageandribs1875
01-02-2013, 10:33 AM
I sponsored someone a fiver today. Where's my thread? I'll bet that was more of my wealth than this will dent his.

It's been we'll managed. A French charity too, not one close to Beckham. Both he and PSG will get good local publicity out of this.

It's hard not see everything these guys do, even generous gestures, as a calculated part of the brand strategy.

exactos

Andy74
01-02-2013, 10:42 AM

No doubting at all it's great for the charity and I wouldn't suggest otherwise.

Beckham's not daft though and neither are his brand advisers. It's a win win really but let's not make a Saint put of the guy for something that is quite calculated to benefit his overall brand also.

He could have kept it quiet and still handed over the cheque eh? It was pretty front and centre of the press conference.

jdships
01-02-2013, 10:42 AM

:top marks:agree:

jdships
01-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Beckham's not daft though and neither are his brand advisers. It's a win win really but let's not make a Saint put of the guy for something that is quite calculated to benefit his overall brand also.

He could have kept it quiet and still handed over the cheque eh? It was pretty front and centre of the press conference.

Absolutely correct
I know a now retired (OLD) Rangers player whose ' Advisers' , when he was looking for a bit of publicity , would phone the 'Evening Times ' to let them know the lad and his missus were going to be in a certain street/shop in Glasgow at a certain time .
This gave the shop publicity and the lad would sometimes get a discount on any goods bought .:rolleyes:

Still think DB's wife is the driving force in that 'empire' !!

Treadstone
01-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Contract finished in November could have signed anytime since then to end of season but chose transfer deadline day as knew people would be looking for football news on this day.

hibeebizzle
01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
I think the question on everyone's mind after Beckham Snr signed for PSG is where is Brooklyn going to be playing? Anyone else see he had trials at Chelsea? Should we be looking into this one ha!

Gatecrasher
01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Beckham seems a decent guy, I don't see what his personality or his IQ has to do with it. It's a great gesture and many people will benefit.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
The guy can't do anything right in some folks eyes.

£150k per week to charity? What's bad about that? Ridiculous.

Johnny Clash
01-02-2013, 01:49 PM
The guy can't do anything right in some folks eyes.

£150k per week to charity? What's bad about that? Ridiculous.

Nobody is saying it's bad - but plenty people aren't conned by this either!

It's embarrassing the way some folk are gushing as if he's made a huge personal sacrifice. He hasn't!

Yes, of course, it's good for the one charity that will benefit. It's not so good for the thousands of other charities that could have benefited had his 3 million been taxed and then distributed.

So well done Becks... I'd just prefer it if other multi millionaires follow JK Rowling's example by privately donating huge sums to charities and good causes without arranging a fanfare of personal publicity. She's still minted but her 'generosity' seems far more genuine!

Andy74
01-02-2013, 02:10 PM
I liked this:

Beckham to help poor children have better hair

DAVID Beckham will donate his salary to disadvantaged children with unco-operative hair.

The new Paris Saint Germain player revealed he would earn no money playing for the French club side as he wanted to end the ‘scandal’ of children under 10 without sculpting mousse.

He said: “I’ve realised that because football is obviously not a job, I shouldn’t really take any money for doing it.

“I accumulate the vast majority of my wealth by being professionally stylish. But it occurred to me there are still too many children who will never be able to afford most of the products I advertise. Especially the underpants.

“But that doesn’t mean they have to run around dirty back streets with unruly hair. I just want them to have access to the same gel and mousse as my children.

“Hopefully stylish hair will give them the confidence they need to lift themselves out of poverty and afford a pair of Police sunglasses.”

He added: “Perhaps one day I will meet one of these youngsters and he will look up at me and say ‘if it wasn’t for you Mr David, these Adidas trainers would be knock-offs’.”

Meanwhile, Beckham’s move has been welcomed by Parisian high society who find his wife’s fashion label incredibly amusing.

Scouse Hibee
01-02-2013, 03:25 PM

It's embarrassing the way some folk are gushing as if he's made a huge personal sacrifice. He hasn't!

Yes, of course, it's good for the one charity that will benefit. It's not so good for the thousands of other charities that could have benefited had his 3 million been taxed and then distributed.

So well done Becks... I'd just prefer it if other multi millionaires follow JK Rowling's example by privately donating huge sums to charities and good causes without arranging a fanfare of personal publicity. She's still minted but her 'generosity' seems far more genuine!

What's really embarrassing is people like you who are content to jump on anything positive that someone does, disect it and then come back with negativity trying to dilute the actual gesture. Do you know what else the Beckham's have contributed to charities, are you aware of the number of times they have personally funded or purchased equipment for children that desperately need it to improve their quality of life? Maybe your embarrassment should also be reserved for the amount of multi millionaires who donate absolutely diddly squat to worthy causes rather than picking on the supposed alterior motives of the ones that do.

bathhibby
01-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Who gives a shart - this Board is all about the Cabs
Beckham - GTF

poolman
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM

I ve never read any of that on this thread :rolleyes:

Jeez, I suppose it's just a fact of life that no matter what DB does there's always gonna be some phannys ( jealous or otherwise :dunno: ) who are gonna slag him off

Why ? I dont know, as far as I'm concerned he's one of the good guys in the mad world of football nowadays and how people can make something negative because of the financial gesture to the charity by DB is quite staggering IMO

Ach, lets have more Joey Barton's and John Terry's eh :rolleyes:

Andy74
01-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I ve never read any of that on this thread :rolleyes:

Jeez, I suppose it's just a fact of life that no matter what DB does there's always gonna be some phannys ( jealous or otherwise :dunno: ) who are gonna slag him off

Why ? I dont know, as far as I'm concerned he's one of the good guys in the mad world of football nowadays and how people can make something negative because of the financial gesture to the charity by DB is quite staggering IMO

Ach, lets have more Joey Barton's and John Terry's eh :rolleyes:

I think you are being a bit naive if you are staggered. I like the guy and this is great for the lucky charity but its also part of the brand. That's all folk are saying.

Hibrandenburg
01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
What's really embarrassing is people like you who are content to jump on anything positive that someone does, disect it and then come back with negativity trying to dilute the actual gesture. Do you know what else the Beckham's have contributed to charities, are you aware of the number of times they have personally funded or purchased equipment for children that desperately need it to improve their quality of life? Maybe your embarrassment should also be reserved for the amount of multi millionaires who donate absolutely diddly squat to worthy causes rather than picking on the supposed alterior motives of the ones that do.

Exactly :top marks

Even if Beckham is a throbber of the first degree (that's debatable), I'd still much rather live in a world of throbbers who do good things than a world of "good" people who do nowt.

Posted by someone who has dressed his boxing dummy with an England strip with Beckham's name on the back.

01-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Massive respect for him, fantastic gesture

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Did JK ask you to keep it a secret and you've just blown it for her?..

Jonnyboy
01-02-2013, 08:09 PM

It's equally embarrassing that some folk are slagging a guy off when a charity will benefit enormously from his gesture.

I've read on here that he did it for the publicity. Oh how I laughed. He doesn't need to do anything but breathe and he'll get publicity, which he probably doesn't want but tolerates anyway.

As for donating secretly - how do you know he doesn't already do that? This public declaration smacks more of his club wanting the positive publicity rather than Beckham himself

stoneyburn hibs
01-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Great gesture by the Beckham P.R. machine ( wot you thought it was his own idea ?)

A charity benefits from his gesture , that can only be positive .

If he really REALLY wanted to be forthcoming with his PSG wages and not be in any way regarded as cynical then he(and his PR machine) would have kept a lid on this for at least until his contract had ended.

Great move for the Beckham product.

Hibrandenburg
01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Great gesture by the Beckham P.R. machine ( wot you thought it was his own idea ?)

A charity benefits from his gesture , that can only be positive .

If he really REALLY wanted to be forthcoming with his PSG wages and not be in any way regarded as cynical then he(and his PR machine) would have kept a lid on this for at least until his contract had ended.

Great move for the Beckham product.

As already mentioned several times, the fact that he's gone public will ensure more publicity for his chosen charity. That can only be good.

Hibee Ryan
01-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Just out of interest did he actually mention the name of the charity? I only remember him saying a local French charity!

As for the actual incident. Of course it was going to get publicity! People were saying he was only going to PSG for the money so telling everyone he was giving it to charity showed him off to be a great generous guy and that he wasn't just being greedy!

I don't see how anyone can put any negativity on this story. Nobody loses in this story!

stoneyburn hibs
01-02-2013, 10:05 PM
As already mentioned several times, the fact that he's gone public will ensure more publicity for his chosen charity. That can only be good. x2

Holmesdale Hibs
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Yes it's well branded but I'm sure the homeless kids won't care. Good on him.

The Green Goblin
02-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Good on him. Great gesture.

steakbake
02-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Yep, I have nothing against DB. He's a good sort.

Lucius Apuleius
02-02-2013, 05:03 AM
Firmly in the "well done old chap" camp. Not the brightest bulb in the box but a talented man in other ways.

capitals_finest
02-02-2013, 10:04 AM
A great gesture from one of the good guys.

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Its a good gesture, the charity wins and he gets good publicity. He will also have negotiated a deal for image rights during his time at the club, and i saw a report on Sky saying each shirt is for sale at 100 euros a pop. Its a win win situation.

I cant see any problem here, Beckham has done so well for himself something some people seem to be jealous of?

lucky
02-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Great gesture from a good guy. Can't believe how bitter some are against him for his charitable act. This is not about PR. FFS if he goes for milk its in the paper. I doubt he had to donate a huge amount to charity to get into the limelight

hibsbollah
02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Firmly in the "well done old chap" camp. Not the brightest bulb in the box but a talented man in other ways.

Personally i think hes cleverer than hes given credit for. He's extremely articulate and comes across well on tv, which in itself requires a degree of intelligence. His wife is also making a ridiculous amount of money in global fashion, which you need brains to do.

Lucius Apuleius
02-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Personally i think hes cleverer than hes given credit for. He's extremely articulate and comes across well on tv, which in itself requires a degree of intelligence. His wife is also making a ridiculous amount of money in global fashion, which you need brains to do.

I would agree to a certain extent 'bollah. Think he was kinda stuck with the numpty tag and for some reason it has stuck forever. Clever enough to have made bucket loads of dosh.

RyeSloan
02-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Totally agree. :agree:

big gogs
02-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Totally agree. :agree:

the media make david beckham out to be a bit thick, he is worth 120 million,methinks mr.beckham has the last laugh.

GlenrothesHibee
02-02-2013, 01:19 PM
If i donated my salary to charity that would be worth a mention but for a multi sqillionare to do it?

heidtheba
02-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Its a good gesture, the charity wins and he gets good publicity. He will also have negotiated a deal for image rights during his time at the club, and i saw a report on Sky saying each shirt is for sale at 100 euros a pop. Its a win win situation.

I cant see any problem here, Beckham has done so well for himself something some people seem to be jealous of?

Take this a step further. I read a brilliant book about ethics in business a while back and it was making the point that charitable acts should, and could, be built into most businesses, with win win situations all round.

Wouldn't it be great if we stopped seeing charity as something that had to involve sacrifice and a po face. If there is an opportunity for people to donate, charities to gain and this to be done for the benefit of all parties involved then where's the problem?

Try this scenario - business wants to get advantage over others by appearing to be 'nice', builds charity donation into cost of its products, this comes out of profits and doesn't charge customer extra, more customers buy item because of 'niceness' = company effectively makes more, charity gains and customer feels they have done their bit. Would some pillory that organisation for self-promotion? Some people need to realise that this could be done more frequently if we move away from the 'charity is something we do, not talk about' approach.

I'm really struggling to see the 'downside' of the Beckham deal?

Holmesdale Hibs
02-02-2013, 02:11 PM

I agree he's smarter than he gets credit for but I wouldn't go as far as extremely articulate. Don't mean to slag him off - see post earlier - I just don't think he comes across as intelligent in his interviews.

Lucius Apuleius
02-02-2013, 02:18 PM
If i donated my salary to charity that would be worth a mention but for a multi sqillionare to do it?

Disagree. Ask the kids that are benefitting from it whose salary they would rather have. As heidtheba says, I too am struggling to find any downside to this at all.

Malthibby
02-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Never liked the man or the brand but no-one can knock this; serious money going to a good cause.
Jolly good show.

jacomo
02-02-2013, 07:40 PM

:agree:

Who knows how exactly this deal is constructed, but we can be sure that Beckham is not at PSG 'for free'. He may be donating his salary - and well done for that - but Brand Beckham will be exploiting other revenue opportunities while he's there.

TornadoHibby
02-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Who knows how exactly this deal is constructed, but we can be sure that Beckham is not at PSG 'for free'. He may be donating his salary - and well done for that - but Brand Beckham will be exploiting other revenue opportunities while he's there.

Nothing surer!! :agree:

RyeSloan
02-02-2013, 09:24 PM

Seems to me that some are suggesting that unless the giving is involving some sort of personal sacrifice then it's not real charity.

How does that fit with say Bill Gates...who is doing absolute wonders with his foundation yet I'm sure has plenty left for himself...is he not really giving charity either?

Or maybe the Wellcome trust that although fondued by Henry Wellcome only came into being on his death, he in effect did not impact his personal life by giving anything to charity when alive but in effect created the largest charity in the world (before Bill came along of course!).

No one forced Becks to do this and many a rich footballer has taken the last big payday to themselves so I think he should be applauded for it. Sure he has plenty dough left in the bank, will continue to earn from his image rights but then so he should. If his image is improved by his charitable giving then maybe it deserves to be so considering the good that his giving will bring?

YehButNoBut
03-02-2013, 09:29 AM
As others have said it looks like Becks will make a fortune from shirt sales and if he had taken the salary he would have faced taxes of up to 75%, so he can afford to do this looks great and he still makes a fortune.

At least the French kids will benefit. :sauzee:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4776206/david-beckham-to-make-mint-from-3-PSG-shirts-sold-for-96.html

REPLICA football shirts which cost just £3.50 to make but sell for £96 will net David Beckham millions, it was predicted last night. Sponsorship experts reckon he will rake it in from tops bearing his name and squad number 32 after his deal with Paris Saint-Germain.

The income would outstrip the £3million wages he has chosen to give to a French children’s charity — and save him crippling taxes of up to 75 per cent.

Profit from the sale of merchandising is subjected to just 30 per cent in tax across the Channel.
Two days after Beckham signed, the French club was last night reportedly brokering a £110million five-year megadeal with Emirates.

It immediately prompted rumblings that he was bought more as a cheerleader than a player in a bid to put PSG on a similar footing to Manchester United or Barcelona.

Former England captain Beckham, 37, is likely to play in fewer than 15 games during his five-month contract and did not feature in Friday’s 4-0 win at Toulouse.

But Beckham shirts are already flying off the shelves from the PSG shop on the Champs-Elysees.

Brands expert Professor Jean-Noel Kapferer forecast the Hong Kong-made blue and red tops would flood the lucrative Asian and US markets.

It was revealed yesterday that Beckham has been pencilled-in as a player-coach in the Qatar Stars League later this year.

It is part of his £20million role as a poster boy of the 2022 World Cup in the mega-rich Gulf state.

Johnny Clash
03-02-2013, 10:55 AM
As others have said it looks like Becks will make a fortune from shirt sales and if he had taken the salary he would have faced taxes of up to 75%, so he can afford to do this looks great and he still makes a fortune.

At least the French kids will benefit. :sauzee:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4776206/david-beckham-to-make-mint-from-3-PSG-shirts-sold-for-96.html

REPLICA football shirts which cost just £3.50 to make but sell for £96 will net David Beckham millions, it was predicted last night. Sponsorship experts reckon he will rake it in from tops bearing his name and squad number 32 after his deal with Paris Saint-Germain.

The income would outstrip the £3million wages he has chosen to give to a French children’s charity — and save him crippling taxes of up to 75 per cent.

Profit from the sale of merchandising is subjected to just 30 per cent in tax across the Channel.
Two days after Beckham signed, the French club was last night reportedly brokering a £110million five-year megadeal with Emirates.

It immediately prompted rumblings that he was bought more as a cheerleader than a player in a bid to put PSG on a similar footing to Manchester United or Barcelona.

Former England captain Beckham, 37, is likely to play in fewer than 15 games during his five-month contract and did not feature in Friday’s 4-0 win at Toulouse.

But Beckham shirts are already flying off the shelves from the PSG shop on the Champs-Elysees.

Brands expert Professor Jean-Noel Kapferer forecast the Hong Kong-made blue and red tops would flood the lucrative Asian and US markets.

It was revealed yesterday that Beckham has been pencilled-in as a player-coach in the Qatar Stars League later this year.

It is part of his £20million role as a poster boy of the 2022 World Cup in the mega-rich Gulf state.

There's no doubt in my mind that the salary announcement was only made after the Beckham PR machine looked at all angles. To think Becks woke up one morning, scratched his bollocks, then decided to give his salary to a Parisian charity is a bit naive to say the least.

I can understand why some posters are getting a little upset coz they've taken this at face value and seem to think any deeper thought is sacrilege to DB and therefore we must all be slagging Becks off and that any opinion other than heeping praise on the guy is a result of green eyed monster jealousy. That's not the case and its a cheap shot to suggest that. He's not getting slagged off and people are entitled to do what the Becks PR machine does, and look at all the angles.

Becks seems a decent bloke and I'm sure he personally wasn't being devious. However, the very successful PR machine he has behind him gets no praise from me.

As other posters have mentioned... at least one charity will benefit and it's better than doing nothing. I agree, it would be good if all the mega rich donate more to good causes. Hell, I'd even settle if they all stopped dodging paying their tax on their millions. UK based millionates dodge £72 billion a year - now thats really something to get upset about!! Maybe that way we might be able to rely less on charities and create a better society with a strong welfare state to protect everyone?

LeighLoyal
03-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Don't believe the hype, will be coining it in on the jerseys. £3.50 to make in a child labour sweat shop, sell for £96. Good guy though, knighthood to cement a nations love.. :rolleyes:

Iggy Pope
03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
There is a picture of him in today's Times in his scants, that:

1) Makes it difficult to credibly look on him as any sort of 'footballer'
2) Makes it difficult to keep your poached eggs down.

He can be made to look like Mother Theresa incarnate (perish the thought we might have seen her in her gundies), but he will only ever be a celebrity.

03-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Why cant people just see the goodness in his gesture instead of trying to turn it round into something selfish he is doing. The guy has very generously offered to donate his wages to a charity to help disadvantaged children and help people far less fortunate than himself. So what even if it is a PR stunt? He realises he has made plenty money and is trying to use his fame and money to help others, that in my eyes is a fantastic thing for him to do.

I think he's a genuinely decent guy, that realises he has had a very privileged life due to his talent and wants to use his wealth and status to help kids have some good life opportunities of their own.

Hibernia&Alba
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM
It's very easy to be cynical about a multi-millionaire doing something like this. It's true that his sponsorhips whilst in Paris will more than compensate for the money that goes to the charity, but let's be honest, most modern footballers wouldn't do it. We live in an era where players are vastly overpaid and post videos of themselves on you tube, wiping their backsides with twenty pound notes. A good many are thick as two short planks and act accordingly when surrounded by huge money.

Yes Beckham loves the showbiz side of the game - the modelling and adverts and other nonsense, but what he's doing is a fine thing and he deserves credit for it. The money will make a difference to the lives of children dealt a cruel hand from birth. I don't know the guy, but he seems to be a very loving father who loves kids.

Hibrandenburg
03-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Why cant people just see the goodness in his gesture instead of trying to turn it round into something selfish he is doing. The guy has very generously offered to donate his wages to a charity to help disadvantaged children and help people far less fortunate than himself. So what even if it is a PR stunt? He realises he has made plenty money and is trying to use his fame and money to help others, that in my eyes is a fantastic thing for him to do.

I think he's a genuinely decent guy, that realises he has had a very privileged life due to his talent and wants to use his wealth and status to help kids have some good life opportunities of their own.

Exactly.

Not every super star player can be a George Best off the field.

jdships
03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
As always these arguments are all down to PERSONAL OPINIONS
Unfortunately there are always those who think their opinion is the correct one and take the moral high ground ( which ever side )
Personally I have no problem with what he does with his money even if I don't particularly like him or his wife
:greengrin

TornadoHibby
03-02-2013, 10:11 PM

I don't think that any reasonable person would not see the "goodness in his gesture", I think that the "issue" for most people is that the press conference "eulogy" made it seem as though he would get absolutely hee haw for his time under contract at PSG when any reasonable person would see right through that nonsense! I imagine that he will be reeling in things like "image rights" payments like most of the big name players do in all of the big teams and with his World wide brand being what it is, that won't be peanuts! :agree:

Bad Martini
04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
To summarise Beckham "giving up" his wages:

* He was gonna pay ****loads of tax so its a good move for all, except the Taxman.
* The bairns charity will benefit as a result of him/his PR machine/his wife/someone making this decision
* Beckham will get good PR and in turn, will benefit
* He had a stupid hair cut, played for man-ure and greets like a baby when he misses penalties :devil:

None of this helps Hibs beat Kilmarnock in the next round of the cup or beat the yams before they implode.

Thus, I couldnae give a ****.:aok:

ENDOF