PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Squad for Estonia

SteveHFC
31-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Goalkeepers: Gilks, Marshall, McGregor:

Defenders: Bardsley, Berra, G Caldwell, Hanley, Hutton, Martin, Mulgrew, Wallace, Webster:

Midfielders: Adam, Brown, Burke, Commons, Forrest, McArthur, Morrison, Philips, Snodgrass:

Forwards: Fletcher, McCormack, Mackie, Maloney, Miller, Naismith Rhodes.

Is this how bad we are that we have to call up a 3rd division left back?

clerriehibs
31-01-2013, 01:19 PM
What, no Hibs player(s)? That strachan's really got it in for our club.

Sylar
31-01-2013, 01:29 PM

Defenders: Bardsley, Berra, G Caldwell, Hanley, Hutton, Martin, Mulgrew, Wallace, Webster:

Midfielders: Adam, Brown, Burke, Commons, Forrest, McArthur, Morrison, Philips, Snodgrass:

Be interesting to see who the backups are for when Brown, Commons, Maloney and Mulgrew withdraw due to "injury".

Quite a disappointing squad in all honesty. I was hoping Strachan might include some of the younger players who have impressed rather than resorting to the same old guff Levein picked - Miller isn't fit for purpose and not good enough for the Scottish national side anymore. No doubting his passion but that shouldn't be confused with ability.

Lee Wallace isn't a third division player (in terms of ability) but he should be nowhere NEAR a Scotland squad.

Would have liked to have seen Russell, MacKay-Stevens, Barry Mackay and Andrew Shinnie given a chance.

Hibernian Verse
31-01-2013, 01:45 PM
I have to say I think Wallace's call up is fine. It's a friendly and if he can prove he still has it at the top then fair enough. He might be playing against third div teams but he's training regularly with quality players and at Murray Park. Got to be realistic about this.

AndyM_1875
31-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Strachan is not a fool and that is a very deliberate selection.
He's starting to build bridges with Rangers.

The reality like it or not is that in a year or so we, as in Rod Petrie, and the other SPL Chairmen will have to sit down with the people who own that club when they come into SPL2 or whatever it calls itself.

Spike Mandela
31-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Disappointed in Strachan falling for McCoists crap about picking Rangers players.

Rangers so called punishment getting less and less all the time.

Never thought I would say this but at least this was one area where Levein was right in not picking 3rd div players for Scotland.

Pretty Boy
31-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Good to see McCormack finally get a look in.

Hibernian Verse
31-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Disappointed in Strachan falling for McCoists crap about picking Rangers players.

Rangers so called punishment getting less and less all the time.

Never thought I would say this but at least this was one area where Levein was right in not picking 3rd div players for Scotland.

Why should the players be punished for something the club has done?! And Levein did, Ian Black.

Hainan Hibs
31-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Overall a bit "meh", happy with some of the inclusions but with others it is a case of same old same old. Cannot stop my blood boiling when I see Morrison included which is keeping out people that actually want to pull on a Scotland top instead of just being concern with adding value to their transfer fee.

The_Sauz
31-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Why should the players be punished for something the club has done?! And Levein did, Ian Black.

Ian Black was picked only for one reason, and one reason only......to get a reaction!
He was playing well with them (yams) and was not picked, yet the minute he went west to a 3rd division club, he was deemed good enough :rolleyes:

Time For Heroes
31-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Strachan out Levein In

:D

Spike Mandela
31-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Forgot aboot Black. try to erase him from memory if honesrt. As for the player if I was a full back in the SPL I wouldn't be happy. Far too low a level to be considered for Inteenational duty imo

Ross4356
31-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't care who he plays in defence as long as its not Hutton

Iceman1875
31-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Commons, webster and hutton.....hmmm, we not go for andrew shinnie, danny fox and dare I say it, danny wilson...? I take it snodgrass and whittaker are injured? GMS and Jonny Russell overlooked too?

AlbertK86
31-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Be interesting to see who the backups are for when Brown, Commons, Maloney and Mulgrew withdraw due to "injury".

Quite a disappointing squad in all honesty. I was hoping Strachan might include some of the younger players who have impressed rather than resorting to the same old guff Levein picked - Miller isn't fit for purpose and not good enough for the Scottish national side anymore. No doubting his passion but that shouldn't be confused with ability.

Lee Wallace isn't a third division player (in terms of ability) but he should be nowhere NEAR a Scotland squad.

Would have liked to have seen Russell, MacKay-Stevens, Barry Mackay and Andrew Shinnie given a chance.

If u mean Billy Mackay from ICT he's Irish I believe

Iceman1875
31-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Commons, webster and hutton.....hmmm, we not go for andrew shinnie, danny fox and dare I say it, danny wilson...? I take it snodgrass and whittaker are injured? GMS and Jonny Russell overlooked too?

My mistake, snodgrass is in!

Since90+2
31-01-2013, 03:06 PM

He's English but plays for Northern Ireland.

Sylar
31-01-2013, 03:27 PM

He's English but plays for Northern Ireland.

My mistake.

Shame, as he's a cracking young talent.

Hibernian Verse
31-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Forgot aboot Black. try to erase him from memory if honesrt. As for the player if I was a full back in the SPL I wouldn't be happy. Far too low a level to be considered for Inteenational duty imo

I know, bud, and I see where you're coming from but from your previous posts on here I think you'll recognize Wallace's ability. Not sure who I'd have ahead of him, we're not exactly flooded with great left backs in Scotland.

cocopops1875
31-01-2013, 03:43 PM
1.Disappointed in Strachan falling for McCoists crap about picking Rangers players.

2.Rangers so called punishment getting less and less all the time.

3.Never thought I would say this but at least this was one area where Levein was right in not picking 3rd div players for Scotland.

1. do you really believe Strachan fell for anything :confused:

2. Not quite sure how this has any baring on The Rangers punishment or how it reduces it :confused:

3. And as mentioned Ian Black :wink:

HibernianJK
31-01-2013, 03:44 PM
what happened to paul? dixon, seem to recall having a solid first couple of games. injured? out of favor? pish? :confused: surely strachan saw that what levein was doing wasn't working. so unless hes going to cange formation/tactics expect more of the same. some very good young talent coming through, armstrong, allen, sparky GMS, russell, rhodes. feel its time we move on and build for the future

Spike Mandela
31-01-2013, 04:03 PM
1. do you really believe Strachan fell for anything :confused:

2. Not quite sure how this has any baring on The Rangers punishment or how it reduces it :confused:

3. And as mentioned Ian Black :wink:

1 Yes I do. Strachan and McCoist are cut from the same cloth. No third div player should be in a Scotland squad imo. As soon as Strachan was announced McCoist was shooting off in the press about how he was sure Gordon wouldn't dismiss any player blah blah, none too subtle pressure of course, and I am sure many cosy wee chats have followed.

2. Every Rangers punishment has been diluted. A consequence of them being in the third division should have been players playing at too low a level for International recognition but the precedence has been set now. What next, the Rangers youngsters that have broken through but only ever played 3rd div being called up, just watch. All adding value to this third division clubs staff.

3.As mentioned I did forget about him but he was picked at a time when he was straight from the Hearts cup winning squad. Levein did state though that he thought it was too low a level for consideration and never picked any other 3rd div players during his reign.

One previous poster did say it wasn't the players fault what the club done but it was the player himself who CHOSE to sign on for a newly formed 3rd div club.

Of course it is Strachan's decision and I hope Scotland do well under him but from a personal point of view this has just made me even less likely to take an interest in the Estonia game.

Sorry, rant over. The Rangers scandal just infuriates me and come over all irrational.:greengrin

Jones28
31-01-2013, 04:24 PM
What annoys me is that Miller is going to be played until he retires, blocking the path for Sparky, Russell, Goodwillie and to an extent Jordan Rhodes. Fletcher should be starting with any of those 4 IMO

cocopops1875
31-01-2013, 04:30 PM
1 Yes I do. Strachan and McCoist are cut from the same cloth. No third div player should be in a Scotland squad imo. As soon as Strachan was announced McCoist was shooting off in the press about how he was sure Gordon wouldn't dismiss any player blah blah, none too subtle pressure of course, and I am sure many cosy wee chats have followed.

2. Every Rangers punishment has been diluted. A consequence of them being in the third division should have been players playing at too low a level for International recognition but the precedence has been set now. What next, the Rangers youngsters that have broken through but only ever played 3rd div being called up, just watch. All adding value to this third division clubs staff.

3.As mentioned I did forget about him but he was picked at a time when he was straight from the Hearts cup winning squad. Levein did state though that he thought it was too low a level for consideration and never picked any other 3rd div players during his reign.

One previous poster did say it wasn't the players fault what the club done but it was the player himself who CHOSE to sign on for a newly formed 3rd div club.

Of course it is Strachan's decision and I hope Scotland do well under him but from a personal point of view this has just made me even less likely to take an interest in the Estonia game.

Sorry, rant over. The Rangers scandal just infuriates me and come over all irrational.:greengrin

The thing is Spike i dont disagree with the point of your post, Just some of the wee bits :greengrin I dont think Strachan got sucked in by anyone he has never come off as "That Guy" to me.

I dont really see this having any effect on the Shooters value (its only Scotland for Christs sake) thus its hardy effecting the punishment (which i agree has been a joke and im sure will continue to be).

I actually thought Strachan spoke well about his decision to pick him and its only a friendly (the same as Black got) so we shall see i guess :agree:

silverhibee
31-01-2013, 04:34 PM

When was the last time Forrest played for celtc.

silverhibee
31-01-2013, 04:45 PM
What annoys me is that Miller is going to be played until he retires, blocking the path for Sparky, Russell, Goodwillie and to an extent Jordan Rhodes. Fletcher should be starting with any of those 4 IMO

Would really like to see how Fletcher and Rhodes would do together up-front in a 4-4-2.

frazeHFC
31-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah got to be Fletcher and Rhodes imo!

carnoustiehibee
31-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Strachan will have miller and Wallace in the squad to see if there still "international" standard. I'm sure or hopeful he weed them out before qualifiers start.

shetlandhibee
31-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Would like to see younger players like griffiths, McGowan (st.mirren), Andrew shinnie, Forrest and Makay-Steven if he can keep consistent.:thumbsup: As long as they don't play Hutton it'll be fine:aok:

bob12345
31-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Johnny Russell really should be one of the first names in that squad. I think Bannan should be in too, Iniesta couldn't sort out Villa's midfield problems.

monktonharp
31-01-2013, 06:30 PM
I don't care who he plays in defence as long as its not HuttonI do care. very much so in fact. when the Scotland manager picks players who are playing in the sfl 3rd division, where they look the part against part-time jiners,labourers, office workers etc, is the day that I say that I really dont give a ******* who plays anymore. he's obviously taken a job on the understanding that the blazers can inject a wee hun mix if and when they feel it's correct.

cocopops1875
31-01-2013, 07:23 PM
I do care. very much so in fact. when the Scotland manager picks players who are playing in the sfl 3rd division, where they look the part against part-time jiners,labourers, office workers etc, is the day that I say that I really dont give a ******* who plays anymore. he's obviously taken a job on the understanding that the blazers can inject a wee hun mix if and when they feel it's correct.
Aye strachan the well known Hun sympathiser