PDA

View Full Version : Danny Handling

totalfootball
31-01-2013, 11:29 AM
On a slighlty more positive note well done Danny Handling last night. Was our best player by a county mile and was good tosee see him get see him get his first start. Definitely worth a run in the team on that performance. Very impressed!

bingo70
31-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Pleased to hear that, I've not been impressed by him when he's come off the bench so was hoping he may have showed more when he started.

Bit confused how he could have been so impressive last night though when we were so poor going forward apparently and created little? What did he offer the team that impressed?

totalfootball
31-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Was very good on the ball, nice first touch and used it well. Ok he didnt have any shots on goal etc but he was very lively always wanting the ball to feet. Looks a clever player, as I've already said he impressed me. Would like to see him partner Griffiths on Sundat!
Pleased to hear that, I've not been impressed by him when he's come off the bench so was hoping he may have showed more when he started.Bit confused how he could have been so impressive last night though when we were so poor going forward apparently and created little? What did he offer the team that impressed?

bingo70
31-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Was very good on the ball, nice first touch and used it well. Ok he didnt have any shots on goal etc but he was very lively always wanting the ball to feet. Looks a clever player, as I've already said he impressed me. Would like to see him partner Griffiths on Sundat!

This is what's concerned me about him when he's come on though, he looks neat, tidy and doesn't give the ball away but imo in no way looks dangerous.

I want my forwards making dangerous runs into the box, taking shots and creating things. I've never really seen him play for the young team but from looking at his scoring record for them I get the impression he plays within himself when in the first team, a bit too cautious.

totalfootball
31-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Needs to get a run of games playing up top before he can be judged but on what I've seen so far every chance he'll score goals for hibs
This is what's concerned me about him when he's come on though, he looks neat, tidy and doesn't give the ball away but imo in no way looks dangerous.I want my forwards making dangerous runs into the box, taking shots and creating things. I've never really seen him play for the young team but from looking at his scoring record for them I get the impression he plays within himself when in the first team, a bit too cautious.

bingo70
31-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Needs to get a run of games playing up top before he can be judged but on what I've seen so far every chance he'll score goals for hibs

You need to earn that chance by looking dangerous and scoring goals when he does get the chance.

It's great that he looked a good footballer last night and I hope he starts to show what he can do but if he doesn't start offering more of a goal threat when he gets the chance his career is going to go the way of kurtis Byrne and Damon gray.

lucky
31-01-2013, 12:52 PM
He played center midfield last night and did well. For me if he is to get a run in the team then it has to be on the flanks.

bingo70
31-01-2013, 12:55 PM
He played center midfield last night and did well. For me if he is to get a run in the team then it has to be on the flanks.

If he did well then why not there again?

Not sure he's got the pace we're looking for him to play on the flanks

Andy74
31-01-2013, 12:56 PM

Handling played centre midfield? Where were Deegan, Claros and Robertson then?

truehibernian
31-01-2013, 12:58 PM
You need to earn that chance by looking dangerous and scoring goals when he does get the chance.

It's great that he looked a good footballer last night and I hope he starts to show what he can do but if he doesn't start offering more of a goal threat when he gets the chance his career is going to go the way of kurtis Byrne and Damon gray.

Damon was the only one of the three played to position bingo - Danny is not a central midfielder nor is he a natural wide player - Fenlon has only played him in both positions. Danny has scored at every level, playing as a striker, more often than not with a pairing.

I'm concerned that Fenlon is choosing to play both Doyle and Danny in positions that are a little foreign to them - both are goal scorers, but penalty box (in and around) strikers. That may of course be purely down to personnel at present and having to adapt to circumstance.

But I do hope he isn't adopting a horrible Hughes-esque type policy of trying to be 'smart' and play them in positions only the gaffer can see but others know are not working (Wotherspoon at right back, Hogg at full back, Kurtis on the flank, Derek left mid). In Kurtis' only appearances he was often asked to work the channels - never played up front that I witnessed (in top team). Albeit the appearances were fleeting. Although I think he provided the assist for Nish in a win v Aberdeen - memory might have failed me there but he definitely had the assist.

BarneyK
31-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Damon was the only one of the three played to position bingo - Danny is not a central midfielder nor is he a natural wide player - Fenlon has only played him in both positions. Danny has scored at every level, playing as a striker, more often than not with a pairing.

I'm concerned that Fenlon is choosing to play both Doyle and Danny in positions that are a little foreign to them - both are goal scorers, but penalty box (in and around) strikers. That may of course be purely down to personnel at present and having to adapt to circumstance.

But I do hope he isn't adopting a horrible Hughes-esque type policy of trying to be 'smart' and play them in positions only the gaffer can see but others know are not working (Wotherspoon at right back, Hogg at full back, Kurtis on the flank, Derek left mid). In Kurtis' only appearances he was often asked to work the channels - never played up front that I witnessed (in top team). Albeit the appearances were fleeting. Although I think he provided the assist for Nish in a win v Aberdeen - memory might have failed me there but he definitely had the assist.

It was away to Caley as I recall- in a rare Highland victory

bingo70
31-01-2013, 01:05 PM

Hope your right, nothing better than producing good young players but I'm not convinced.

Wheb the good young players like fletch, riordan, Brown, goc and Thomson started you could see they were going to be a bit special, right now I put handling and Caldwell in the same bracket as Jamie mcluskey, kurtis Byrne etc.

Hope I'm wrong though

My_Wife_Camille
31-01-2013, 01:06 PM

I get what you are saying about Handling being neat and tidy but not offering much as I had the exact same opinion until last night.

To be clear, last night he played more as a central midfielder than as a striker and I agree with the OP that he did very well there.

His first touch was good (something Deegan would do well to improve), his passing was mainly positive (in that he was about the only Hibs player who wanted to move forward with the ball) and he also looked to be the only Hibs player able to successfully take on an opposing defender.

There was more than one occasion where he won the ball right back after being tackled and if we'd seen a bit better movement (or any at all) from our strikers then we coul have been in on goal with a couple of decent trough balls. There was even a point where he pulled off a Boozy-ensue pirouette to take the ball away from a Ross County player!

As I mentioned earlier, its important to remember that he was playing more as a midfield body rather than as a striker. I also think that while it's disappointing that he didn't offer any real goal threat himself, he played very well considering that it was his first start as a professional footballer and I see no reason why he shouldn't start in our next game.

Andy74
31-01-2013, 01:06 PM

It doesn't do foreign players any harm learning other positions as they progress.

It's a way of getting him time in the team surely? Probably easier to come in and play wide than be asked to be a centre forward in the SPL. Is he currently better than Griffiths and Doyle there?

bingo70
31-01-2013, 01:08 PM
It doesn't do foreign players any harm learning other positions as they progress.

It's a way of getting him time in the team surely? Probably easier to come in and play wide than be asked to be a centre forward in the SPL. Is he currently better than Griffiths and Doyle there?

Didn't do fletch any harm either

My_Wife_Camille
31-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Handling played centre midfield? Where were Deegan, Claros and Robertson then?
Looked to me like it was set out something like this

-----------Handling
Deegan Claros Robertson

Little to no with in the midfield at all last night

truehibernian
31-01-2013, 01:24 PM

100% agree mate - however coaching in Scotland has only recently changed in the way youth footballers are developed - you only need to see that the Academy structure, across Scotland, has only been put in place the last 2 years.

When I was a youth footballer (and I've bored people before about this), I was lucky enough to see 'academies' at Ajax and Koblenz. Even back then, nearly 30 years ago, their approach to football coaching was as you suggest - not defined positions, always work with the ball, never having height/brute strength as a core need, but always emphasis on technique, skills with the ball and varying positions on the field.

In Scotland (at the time I was with a team outside Edinburgh, then at Hutchison Vale), the emphasis was on brute strength, tackling, speed and basically out-scoring the opposition, with not much time spent on educating a footballer about positioning, technique, playing offside, set piece work. You did running drills, squats, press ups, stamina work and only at the end of training did you get allowed to work with the ball- usually a bounce game.

If you ever get the chance, pop along to a local Academy (you'll need approval), and watch what the kids get in the way of coaching - it's literally night and day - but it's taken 30 years to get there, hence countries like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, African nations and the USA are way way ahead of us now.

lEXO
31-01-2013, 03:20 PM
On a slighlty more positive note well done Danny Handling last night. Was our best player by a county mile and was good tosee see him get see him get his first start. Definitely worth a run in the team on that performance. Very impressed!

I agree mate. He played well. He used the ball well, his movement was good and i would keep him in the team.

Boyle89
31-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Looked to me like it was set out something like this

-----------Handling
Deegan Claros Robertson

Little to no with in the midfield at all last night

That's what I thought aswell. Although fenlon seems to think he was playing upfront?! Handling was impressive in keeping the ball and actually trying to play a pass but I noticed once he'd beaten a man he was reluctant to drive forward and commit defenders, don't know weather it was a lack of pace or confidence. Still think he was our MOM last night.

totalfootball
31-01-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm sorry but he's started one game... Can't be judged on 10 min cameos from the bench not can he be judged for 1 good game! My point was he looks a good player, I'm no saying he looks like he'll smash 25 goals in a season but you can see he's a proper player! Anytime I've seen him he's played wide or last night he was in behind the front 2, definitely not centre mid, played in front of the midfield. Why your already making comparisons with Kurtis Byrne and Damon Gray is beyond me! He's 18 years old and I'm quite sure he'll have a far greater and successful career than either if these two

QUOTE=bingo70;3490248]You need to earn that chance by looking dangerous and scoring goals when he does get the chance.

It's great that he looked a good footballer last night and I hope he starts to show what he can do but if he doesn't start offering more of a goal threat when he gets the chance his career is going to go the way of kurtis Byrne and Damon gray.[/QUOTE]

NorthNorfolkHFC
31-01-2013, 03:32 PM
If he's a striker, play him upfront.

Does Pat think that playing strikers wide right/in front of midfield will produce creativity?

GreenCastle
31-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Danny's best position is up front - given a run of games and some service will score goals there :agree:

StarMan10
31-01-2013, 04:13 PM
When Fletcher broke into the team he was played the majority of the time in midfield under Mowbray and it done him no harm? Personally think its the correct way to nurture a young forward ,without the physicality to match SPL defenders, into the team. Chucking Handling upfront, he would be completely starved of service and it would do very little to aid his development imo. Midfield he'l see much more of the ball. Until we get the quality to be regularly creating chances then i think a midfield role will suit him.

Dunbar Hibee
31-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Play Danny in his natural position and he WILL score goals. I guarantee this.

frazeHFC
31-01-2013, 04:17 PM
I think on Sunday go with Griffiths and Handling both up front where they are meant to play. Maybe give Doyle a rest, can bring him on with 20 or so minutes to go.

TheFamous1875
31-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Judging by the Celtic match, I've never seen Doyle be as good as that. I think he's a winger (without the pace) who can play up front. Also with confidence and better technique he could be a real goal threat. He should work on his shooting definitely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

macd123
31-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Pat is doing the right thing. Easing him in. The encouraging thing is he has used his pace and skill. I am more concerned about caldwell who is big and strong but just hope they work on technique and awareness with him.

Jonnyboy
31-01-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry but he's started one game... Can't be judged on 10 min cameos from the bench not can he be judged for 1 good game!

:agree: Lets not talk down or write off Danny and others like Caldwell. They need the chance to play mkore first team football and let's be honest, even the likes of Scott Brown, Deek, Whittaker and Thomson failed to make instant impressions

GreenCastle
31-01-2013, 09:53 PM
:agree: Lets not talk down or write off Danny and others like Caldwell. They need the chance to play mkore first team football and let's be honest, even the likes of Scott Brown, Deek, Whittaker and Thomson failed to make instant impressions

:agree:

Experience and quality comes with more games but the youngsters need experience around them.

The yams seem to be playing youngsters because they can't afford new players - and they seem to be growing in confidence etc.

Where we are - we need experience to steady the ship but need to get back to producing players / selling players on to raise funds for the club.

bingo70
31-01-2013, 09:55 PM

Not the case for me, I remember deek scoring a great chip in one of his early games and Scott Brown making a great impression against Aberdeen I think, remember him driving forward down a wing causing all sorts of bother.

I don't want to sound like I'm writing them off, I'm justsaying they can have all the ability in the world but if they don't start making more of an impression whenthey come on we're likely to buy people who will make an impression and before they know it they'll be playing lower league football complaining about not getting given a chance.

Imo the best of the young players that have made it have come on with an arrogance/cockyness and I don't see that from these guys, they seem to be playing it too safe and appear almost apologetic for being on the park, hope you know what I mean by that, makes sense in my head!

Jonnyboy
31-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Not the case for me, I remember deek scoring a great chip in one of his early games and Scott Brown making a great impression against Aberdeen I think, remember him driving forward down a wing causing all sorts of bother.

I don't want to sound like I'm writing them off, I'm justsaying they can have all the ability in the world but if they don't start making more of an impression whenthey come on we're likely to buy people who will make an impression and before they know it they'll be playing lower league football complaining about not getting given a chance.

Imo the best of the young players that have made it have come on with an arrogance/cockyness and I don't see that from these guys, they seem to be playing it too safe and appear almost apologetic for being on the park, hope you know what I mean by that, makes sense in my head!

That's absolutely right but they'd each had a bit more than 90 mins and the odd ten off the bench!

I get what you're saying about grabbing the chance though and I'm hoping these young guys will do that. Call me mad but I think given the chance that Handling and Caldwell could develop into young Riordan and O'Connor types :greengrin

ballengeich
31-01-2013, 10:08 PM

Yes. I thought Danny had a good game yesterday, but the OP's claim that he "Was our best player by a county mile" doesn't get my support. He looks to me like a guy who has a chance of making the grade at SPL level, given time. People who think he has to be either a worldbeater at once or a dud don't help his chances.

brydekirk
01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
hope he gets as much game time as Booth was afforded.

offshorehibby
01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
While i like Doyle we are needing more goals from our forwards, Handling and Caldwell have both scored goals in their young careers so give them both a decent chance. They need to be starting games between now and the end of the season.

Billy Whizz
01-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Good player is our Danny. Still very young, but I'm sure he'll have a long and distinguished career at Hibs.
It's always good to see young players at Hibs make the breakthrough.

sahib
01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
:agree: Lets not talk down or write off Danny and others like Caldwell. They need the chance to play mkore first team football and let's be honest, even the likes of Scott Brown, Deek, failed to make instant impressions

Did Scott Brown not score a beauty against Aberdeen on his debut? He made an instant impression on me, at least. Whittaker and Thomson didn't impress me on first sight so i take your point.

Golden Bear
01-02-2013, 10:04 AM
While i like Doyle we are needing more goals from our forwards, Handling and Caldwell have both scored goals in their young careers so give them both a decent chance. They need to be starting games between now and the end of the season.

Regardless of who the strikers are, they are being forced to live off scraps due to the poor support and lack of effective link play from the midfield.

Andy74
01-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Lets not forget that Doyles scoring record from open play isn't far from Griffiths from less time up front. I wouldn't write him off just yet. Handling has a couple of decent players in front of him for a game up front.

offshorehibby
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Regardless of who the strikers are, they are being forced to live off scraps due to the poor support and lack of effective link play from the midfield.

Lets not forget that Doyles scoring record from open play isn't far from Griffiths from less time up front. I wouldn't write him off just yet. Handling has a couple of decent players in front of him for a game up front.

Agree with both but we're not going to see what they can do unless we give them a chance. we've scored 5 goals in 2 months.

Jonnyboy
01-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Did Scott Brown not score a beauty against Aberdeen on his debut? He made an instant impression on me, at least. Whittaker and Thomson didn't impress me on first sight so i take your point.

And on the shins of many opponents :greengrin

Mr White
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
That's absolutely right but they'd each had a bit more than 90 mins and the odd ten off the bench!
deek had but that was broonys debut Jonnyboy!

Jonnyboy
01-02-2013, 08:11 PM
deek had but that was broonys debut Jonnyboy!

Ach, hair splitting :greengrin

All I'm saying is judging laddies on the odd ten minutes is OTT

Mr White
01-02-2013, 08:13 PM
No disagreement on that point from me!

marinello59
01-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Safety first. Cairney looked like the link man for a while. Hopefully he will again.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2013, 08:33 PM

I know what you mean. Agree with everything you've said on this thread.