5 St Johnstone 24 -1 33
6 Aberdeen 25 -3 32
7 Dundee Utd 24 -4 30
8 Kilmarnock 24 1 29
9 Hearts 23 -4 29
10 Ross County 23 -528
11 St Mirren 24 -10 28
12 Dundee 24 -29 14

Can't remember the league being this tight at this stage in the season before. Celtic were always going to win the league and Dundee look like they will be relegated but with 9 points between 2nd top and 2nd bottom, no team is assured of the top 6 and it is all to play for.

Worryingly for us, we are on a downward spiral. It can still be haulted but if we are not careful we could end up in the bottom 6. Again. Some will point to (and are continually pointing to) the fact that we are still 4th. Being 4th with a bit of clearance over the teams below us and playing with a bit of consistency is one thing. Being 4th and being a handful of points above teams with 1 or 2 games in hand over us is another. Then there is the recent points record. We're not even playing that well and are getting exactly what we deserve. In fact we could have easily lost the New Year derby, the home match v Dundee and definitely on Sunday v Aberdeen and had no complaints.

The other worrying factor is that every team, bar Aberdeen, has game(s) in hand over us. We have got to hope that all the teams just take points off each other as has happened thus far this season. If a couple of teams hit a run then we are in a real fight to get a top 6 place. That would be very dissappointing especially with Rangers being absent from the SPL this season.

The question now is, were we lucky at the start of the season? The answer is, a little perhaps but there were some decent performances too. Are we as bad as we seem right now? No probably not, a true reflection of us as a team probably lies somewhere between our August/September/October form and our November/December/January form.

All that said, we have made progress from last season but it could easily be blown apart if we get dragged down near the bottom of the league again. Don't think we will be in any relegation danger but we could end up finishing 9th/10th/11th again if we are not careful. That would not be acceptable.

Said at the start of the season that a minimum level of achievable and acceptable progress for PF would be top end of the bottom 6. Still think this would be ok but if we end up around there it will be dissappointing given the start we had.

IWasThere2016
31-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Unless we add players today, I see us finishing below where we are now.

Lucius Apuleius
31-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Unless we get some points from the remaining games I see the spiral becoming more pronounced. :agree:

#FromTheCapital
31-01-2013, 09:17 AM
It's a miracle that we're only 3 points off second place after our recent form. Although as TQM says we will slide dramatically down the table unless we add to the squad today.

Andy74
31-01-2013, 09:18 AM
1 Celtic 24 35 52
2 Inverness CT 23 11 37
3 Motherwell 23 8 37
4 Hibernian 25 1 34
5 St Johnstone 24 -1 33
6 Aberdeen 25 -3 32
7 Dundee Utd 24 -4 30
8 Kilmarnock 24 1 29
9 Hearts 23 -4 29
10 Ross County 23 -528
11 St Mirren 24 -10 28
12 Dundee 24 -29 14

Can't remember the league being this tight at this stage in the season before. Celtic were always going to win the league and Dundee look like they will be relegated but with 9 points between 2nd top and 2nd bottom, no team is assured of the top 6 and it is all to play for.

Worryingly for us, we are on a downward spiral. It can still be haulted but if we are not careful we could end up in the bottom 6. Again. Some will point to (and are continually pointing to) the fact that we are still 4th. Being 4th with a bit of clearance over the teams below us and playing with a bit of consistency is one thing. Being 4th and being a handful of points above teams with 1 or 2 games in hand over us is another. Then there is the recent points record. We're not even playing that well and are getting exactly what we deserve. In fact we could have easily lost the New Year derby, the home match v Dundee and definitely on Sunday v Aberdeen and had no complaints.

The other worrying factor is that every team, bar Aberdeen, has game(s) in hand over us. We have got to hope that all the teams just take points off each other as has happened thus far this season. If a couple of teams hit a run then we are in a real fight to get a top 6 place. That would be very dissappointing especially with Rangers being absent from the SPL this season.

The question now is, were we lucky at the start of the season? The answer is, a little perhaps but there were some decent performances too. Are we as bad as we seem right now? No probably not, a true reflection of us as a team probably lies somewhere between our August/September/October form and our November/December/January form.

All that said, we have made progress from last season but it could easily be blown apart if we get dragged down near the bottom of the league again. Don't think we will be in any relegation danger but we could end up finishing 9th/10th/11th again if we are not careful. That would not be acceptable.

Said at the start of the season that a minimum level of achievable and acceptable progress for PF would be top end of the bottom 6. Still think this would be ok but if we end up around there it will be dissappointing given the start we had.

Where does this table show a downward spiral? Have other teams just had the same fixtures as us?

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2013, 09:18 AM
I think it is very interesting, we now seem to have broken away from our annual relegation battle. We are now sitting 4th on a bit of a slump. One that could end anytime soon?

Now there will be folk predicting we wont win another game, and our manager and players are sheite. Those same players and manager managed to get us into 4th, so should be able to kicks on again.

Give the manager a chance, FFS, 6 months ago we were nearly relegated.

Jones28
31-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I would like to think that the worst of our slump is over with and that we are turning things round within the next few games.

If we can bring in a couple of players and string results together we'll be top 6 for sure, probably top 3 :aok:

Saorsa
31-01-2013, 09:29 AM
I think it would be much more interesting (on here anyway) if we were near the bottom :agree:

The Sea-gull
31-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Where does this table show a downward spiral? Have other teams just had the same fixtures as us?

The downward spiral was a reference to our recent form but then you probably knew what it was a reference to. As other posters have stated it is a miracle that we are 4th after our recent results and only shows up the poor consistency of the league.

Not saying all is lost. We could pick up and mount a challenge for second or we could end up near the bottom again.Hence the title of the thread.

Lucius Apuleius
31-01-2013, 10:57 AM
The downward spiral was a reference to our recent form but then you probably knew what it was a reference to. As other posters have stated it is a miracle that we are 4th after our recent results and only shows up the poor consistency of the league.

Not saying all is lost. We could pick up and mount a challenge for second or we could end up near the bottom again.Hence the title of the thread.

Disagree it is a miracle Sea-gull. It is the result of 25 games. Roughly the same number as those around us. league is tight without a doubt, but I think we have been unlucky in some games and dross in others. Should even out. Every confidence PF will get us kicking on.

chrisski33
31-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Personnally think we were bit lucky in some games at the start. I think we can turn it around in fact i know we will! have faith folk!

The Sea-gull
31-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Disagree it is a miracle Sea-gull. It is the result of 25 games. Roughly the same number as those around us. league is tight without a doubt, but I think we have been unlucky in some games and dross in others. Should even out. Every confidence PF will get us kicking on.

Fair point.

Miracle is a bit of a strong term but if you had said we would have the run of results we have had in the last 10 weeks or so and still be 4th, I don't think many would believe it.

Key now is to hault the slump and either kick on by consolidating our current position or improving it.

Over the piece, a high finish in the bottom 6 or any place in the top 6 would represent a decent enough season all things considered. No reason why we can't and won't do better than that.

Looks like this season more so than any other, the line between having a good season (top 4 finish) and bad season (bottom 4 finish) will be very fine indeed.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Why is it any win we ever get is a lucky one, but loses are deserved?

The Sea-gull
31-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Don't think that is the case BPH. Plenty credit handed out when we have played well and won this season. There has been nods of acknowledgement on the few occasions we have "got away with it" and generally I can't think of many times where we have drawn or lost a match this season and deserved more from it. First derby of the season maybe, Aberdeen game at home definitely.

Fergus52
31-01-2013, 11:29 AM

80% of Hibs fans need to constantly moan.

If we were sitting second comfortably and controlling every game through playing amazing football I would fear for the safety of their wives and children as they would no longer be able to vent their infinite fury at our club.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Don't think that is the case BPH. Plenty credit handed out when we have played well and won this season. There has been nods of acknowledgement on the few occasions we have "got away with it" and generally I can't think of many times where we have drawn or lost a match this season and deserved more from it. First derby of the season maybe, Aberdeen game at home definitely.

Yip that's certainly the case at the time of these games, but when we hit a bad patch thats all forgotten and we were suddenly very lucky to win many games and wont win another ever again?

The Sea-gull
31-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Yip that's certainly the case at the time of these games, but when we hit a bad patch thats all forgotten and we were suddenly very lucky to win many games and wont win another ever again?

Nature of message boards maybe? Probably not just ours. Over the top reactions to defeats but also just as many people (not saying you BTW) think we are Man United and Fenlon is Sir Alex when we have a decent run.

hihohibby
31-01-2013, 04:35 PM
A case of the oft used: is yer glass half full or empty?
Hibs, depending on your slant, have as much chance of finishing in the top 3 as in the bottom 3...For me, I live in hope and try to be the optimist, but always end up losing out to the pessimist in me.

hibs4thecup1988
31-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Can I say that I am delighted with the fact we are 4th.

However, I think we were fortunate, not lucky, to win some games earlier in the season. The first one that springs to mind is Dundee United at Easter Road. They had a goal ruled out, shot off the bar and chances late on. But that is all good. Every team needs a bit of luck, and as my auld man keeps telling me... "Sevco and Celtic always won leagues like that". So I will take it. HOWEVER!!! Now sparky has dried up with the goals and the midfield are posted missing it is rather worrying what is going on now. All I am going to say is that if by the end of the season we are top 6 I really believe that would be progress. At this point in time I believe the other teams have got worse rather than us getting much better.

Not to worry thoughh. 4th in the league and let's be honest everyone can beat everyone in this league. With being unbeaten against Celtic and Hearts in 5 games this season but not won against Ross county in 3 I think that covers it.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Can I say that I am delighted with the fact we are 4th.

However, I think we were fortunate, not lucky, to win some games earlier in the season. The first one that springs to mind is Dundee United at Easter Road. They had a goal ruled out, shot off the bar and chances late on. But that is all good. Every team needs a bit of luck, and as my auld man keeps telling me... "Sevco and Celtic always won leagues like that". So I will take it. HOWEVER!!! Now sparky has dried up with the goals and the midfield are posted missing it is rather worrying what is going on now. All I am going to say is that if by the end of the season we are top 6 I really believe that would be progress. At this point in time I believe the other teams have got worse rather than us getting much better.

Not to worry thoughh. 4th in the league and let's be honest everyone can beat everyone in this league. With being unbeaten against Celtic and Hearts in 5 games this season but not won against Ross county in 3 I think that covers it.

:agree: