PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what style of play PF had Bohemians playing?

spike220
31-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know what style of play PF had Bohemians playing?

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Yes, he had them playing a winning style.

Leishy1995
31-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Usually a winning one.

MWHIBBIES
31-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Yes, he had them playing a winning style.This. He can play how he likes if he gets the results and trophies here as he did there.

wookie70
31-01-2013, 10:11 AM
This. He can play how he likes if he gets the results and trophies here as he did there.

Having been through the Alex Miller years I feel playing a decent brand of fitba is at least as important. We won a trophy then but it was one of the most depressing times to be a supporter.

Craig_in_Prague
31-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Did he have his side going out and being rolled over by the same team 3 times in the same season?
A side which, losing once to is poor, let alone every time.

I heard they were the Barcelona of Irish fitbaw.
It's just the disease of being Hibernian FC manager.

keep the faith
31-01-2013, 10:18 AM
This. He can play how he likes if he gets the results and trophies here as he did there.

Really?? Not for me. attacking football first please.

500miles
31-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Shock, it takes more than a season to go from dire relegation battlers into European contending, samba style entertainers.

Steve20
31-01-2013, 10:21 AM

But he's not getting results and is playing awful football.

Saorsa
31-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Shock, it takes more than a season to go from dire relegation battlers into European contending, samba style entertainers.No! No! No! We should do it immediately otherwise everybody including the fans should be sacked. :agree: I want 2nd and the cup and somebody selling macaroon bars & spearmint chewing gum or I winnae be back :agree:

Andy74
Really?? Not for me. attacking football first please.

Okay, so we tried to attack in away games and were getting turned over. We tightened up and go some draws at places like Tynie and Todders. Are you saying you preferred the gubbinhs as we tried to attack a bit more?

I want winning football preferably with a bit of style. I'll take what we can get results wise right now though seeing as we have gone from 11th to 4th in just over half a season.

What we'd all want is surely to be tempered with a slight bit of realism right now, no? If the negativity spreads we will make sure we aren't helping. That what we want out of this?

JohnStephens91
Did he have his side going out and being rolled over by the same team 3 times in the same season?

I heard they were the Barcelona of Irish fitbaw.
It's just the disease of being Hibernian FC manager.

I think that is unfair, Ross County are a team that are very physical and very defensive and can seal teams out effectively. The space between defence and midfield in their team after they got a goal on the break was very congested, they got their goal against the run of play then didn't create much after. Also the pitch didn't help any style of play and if the ball was hit long it was dealt with by the experienced Munro or Boyd and Kovacevic would also be tall enough to get their head on the ball before Griffiths.

MWHIBBIES
31-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Really?? Not for me. attacking football first please.I imagine you'd be gutted if he won 3 titles and 2 cups here then?

MWHIBBIES
31-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Shock, it takes more than a season to go from dire relegation battlers into European contending, samba style entertainers.This is Hibs.net, don't bring your logic in here.

Ozyhibby
31-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Yes, he had them playing a winning style.

Wish he would try it here.

rcarter1
31-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I want winning football preferably with a bit of style. I'll take what we can get results wise right now though seeing as we have gone from 11th to 4th in just over half a season.

Agreed that patience is required. However our current 4th position should not be used as the extent of our progress, as the season is not over - If we finish 10th after all is said and done, are we really entitled to say 'but we were fourth for ages'?

League position isnt everything anyway. Ive been a much happier Hibee with teams finishing 6th, than for examples Yogi's 4th place.

Fenlons post match comments however do suggest that he is patently aware that we carry little threat goal scoring wise. He tried putting on attacking players - didnt work. He may need to think about tactics and formation too. However If our midfield has no pace, then we will need to defend the rest of the season and take what we can. It IS horrible to watch however - and will not motivate our attacking players.

We wont be relegated and thats the main thing - that is progress. But now I say go for it a bit more formation wise and go fighting.You never know we might actually win some games!

exHIBition
05-02-2013, 03:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWB1RVahg-0

Thats a link to Bohemians managed by PF in the 2008 Cup Final. Bohemians did the double that season. Wee chat with Pat too after they lifted the cup......might be a premonition!

HibeeHendo
05-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Better standard their than the SPL.

calumb
05-02-2013, 05:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWB1RVahg-0

Thats a link to Bohemians managed by PF in the 2008 Cup Final. Bohemians did the double that season. Wee chat with Pat too after they lifted the cup......might be a premonition!

I see Sam Morrow scored both goals for Derry and Deegan was playing for Bohemians

Hibernia Na Eir
05-02-2013, 08:47 AM
still waiting on the Bohs v Hibs game that was supposed to be part of the deal that brought Fenlon to the Holy Ground. Was it not a benefit game to bring in extra cash for cash the strapped Dubliners?

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2013, 09:00 AM
still waiting on the Bohs v Hibs game that was supposed to be part of the deal that brought Fenlon to the Holy Ground. Was it not a benefit game to bring in extra cash for cash the strapped Dubliners?

Thats the next scheme Vlad is exploring, every hearts fan will be asked to cash in on their spare cash. For every spare tenner, Vlad will give them a fiver. Every spare £50 note Vlad promises them a minimum of £30, and for those with a few more bob in the bank just lying there doing nothing, better rates can be negotiated. :greengrin

I really think this would go down a bomb with those idiots?

NOLA
05-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Gangnam style.

Prawn Sandwich
05-02-2013, 09:25 AM
I believe the style of play Fenlon preferred in the league of Ireland was winning. This was concept that wasn't applied by a string of previous Managers since Mowbray. In all seriousness though I think that Fenlon halts the defeats particularly against Hearts then he will play a team with more flair. Right now he is building confidence and rebuilding a team. I would be surprised if he has 20% of the squad he wants (signed and not loans) out of the squad of 18 to 20 players named in the first team.

khib70
05-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Better standard their than the SPL.
:confused:Have a word with yourself! Have you ever watched any League of Ireland games?

Pretty Boy
05-02-2013, 10:02 AM
But he's not getting results and is playing awful football.

Thats just not true though is it?

More points already than the whole of last season and the later stages of the Scottish Cup again suggest we are getting results.

There have been disappointing results and at times the football hasnt been fantastic. However I think making us hardrr to beat was always going to be the 1st step. The players who can get us off our seats and win games should, and more than likely will, be added this summer.

Doesnt suit some peoples agenda to see the bigger picture or have a wee bit patience though.

jdships
05-02-2013, 10:21 AM

More points already than the whole of last season and the later stages of the Scottish Cup again suggest we are getting results.

There have been disappointing results and at times the football hasnt been fantastic. However I think making us hardrr to beat was always going to be the 1st step. The players who can get us off our seats and win games should, and more than likely will, be added this summer.

Doesnt suit some peoples agenda to see the bigger picture or have a wee bit patience though.

:top marks Thankyou for a commonsense post

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2013, 10:36 AM

100% spot on. I'm staggered some folk can't see the bigger picture?

Borderhibbie76
05-02-2013, 12:14 PM
For those suggesting fenlon isnt getting results...have a word ah?? More points than last season already, last 8 of cup and unbeaten against THEM this season!!!

So is that not progress??? If not, why not???

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Because we don't play like 70s Brazil.

Danderhall Hibs
05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
So the question was what style of football did PF have Bohemians playing?

A couple of answers have been “winning”. Can I read into it that this means poor to watch but effective?

GlenrothesHibee
05-02-2013, 12:49 PM
I would rather play football that isn't great on the eye and pick up points than try and play like Barca and get horsed repeatedly any day of the week after the last few seasons. For the first time in god knows how long every player gives 100% and that is good enough for me at the moment

Danderhall Hibs
05-02-2013, 12:57 PM
I would rather play football that isn't great on the eye and pick up points than try and play like Barca and get horsed repeatedly any day of the week after the last few seasons. For the first time in god knows how long every player gives 100% and that is good enough for me at the moment

Barca don't get horsed though?

Kato
05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Can I read into it that this means poor to watch but effective?

You don't have to but you can if you're that way inclined.

Alfred E Newman
05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Going with just one up front against Aberdeen at home is not really what we want to see but I wonder if he went that way because of Aberdeens threat down the wings. That certainly worked for most of the game as it was only in the last 10 mins on so that we started to look exposed. If that was the case then full marks to him but I would not want to see that as the norm.

Mikey
05-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Going with just one up front against Aberdeen at home is not really what we want to see but I wonder if he went that way because of Aberdeens threat down the wings. That certainly worked for most of the game as it was only in the last 10 mins on so that we started to look exposed. If that was the case then full marks to him but I would not want to see that as the norm.

I suspect we went that way because Robertson and Done weren't ready to start in a game like that. Hopefully both will be up to speed for Monday night and give us the forward thinking play we're all looking for.

superbam
05-02-2013, 01:04 PM
In my opinion the style could be best described as "being very difficult to beat". Which they were.

I know there are couple of Bohs fans on here who might be able to elaborate further

Danderhall Hibs
05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
You don't have to but you can if you're that way inclined.

The other more likely option is that noone knows but will pretend they do.

Andy74
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Fenlon addressing it in EN today. Wants midfield players to commit people and shoot more. Aware of complaints on style but suggesting he is trying to build the squad from scratch. Not sure why anyone needed it answered but there you go.

J-C
05-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know what style of play PF had Bohemians playing?

GGTTH

At the end of last season, I picked up a young lad(22) from the airport, he was here with his team from Ireland as a season end break. I asked him about Pat's way of playing and he told me he usually has them playing on the deck stuff but also fairly hard to break down in defence. ATM he has us hard to break down, obviously with the midfield buys he's made he's now attempting to get the on the deck passing game going too. :greengrin

RIP
05-02-2013, 03:25 PM
My brother works in Dublin and every taxi driver seems to know Pat Fenlon personally. As a player they say he was tough, always gave 110% and was disciplined. They find it hard to believe his team would have got turned over so easily in a Cup Final.

Like most U never expected miracles in year 1. I did expect bottle, character, never-say-die performances. We still have a couple of lightweights but the rest all show Fenkon-like qualities.

Peevemor
05-02-2013, 03:26 PM
At the end of last season, I picked up a young lad(22) from the airport, he was here with his team from Ireland as a season end break. I asked him about Pat's way of playing and he told me he usually has them playing on the deck stuff but also fairly hard to break down in defence. ATM he has us hard to break down, obviously with the midfield buys he's made he's now attempting to get the on the deck passing game going too. :greengrin

Who started the conversation? :greengrin

Treadstone
05-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Because we don't play like 70s Brazil.

Think you are the only one who mentions Brazil 1970.

JimBHibees
05-02-2013, 03:56 PM
My brother works in Dublin and every taxi driver seems to know Pat Fenlon personally. As a player they say he was tough, always gave 110% and was disciplined. They find it hard to believe his team would have got turned over so easily in a Cup Final.

Like most U never expected miracles in year 1. I did expect bottle, character, never-say-die performances. We still have a couple of lightweights but the rest all show Fenkon-like qualities.

Spoke to a guy form Dublin who was into football and his main comment about PF was he wouldnt take any nonsense which is exactly what was required IMO.

Treadstone
05-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Spoke to a guy form Dublin who was into football and his main comment about PF was he wouldnt take any nonsense which is exactly what was required IMO.

From the Herald last year.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/fact-finding-over-meticulous-pat-fenlon-faces-up-to-a-few-unpleasant-truths-at-hibs.16363849

Stevie Reid
05-02-2013, 04:07 PM
This season we have shown that we can attack with flair and defend with grit and determination (albeit rarely at the same time), which is more than many other managers have managed to do with us.

The long term plan is clearly to do both at the same time as often as possible, and I'm more hopeful of this happening under Pat than any manager we have had for a long time.

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Think you are the only one who mentions Brazil 1970.

Yip you are right, i'm the only one exaggerating when talking about Hibs, good or BAD? :rolleyes:

Treadstone
05-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Yip you are right, i'm the only one exaggerating when talking about Hibs, good or BAD? :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want. You are using a ridiculous extreme (ie arguably the greatest team in history) to make people seem like idiots for preferring a more pleasing standard of football. Some fans biggest crimes on here is to suggest they don't like the current fare being served up, you confuse this with them wanting to see the team beaten as if to prove their point.

Play the ball and not the man.

Vault Boy
05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Fenlon's done very well so far and has definitely built a strong base defensively, something we haven't had in a while. He's recognised a few times that he knows of the 'Hibs' way' to play, and I'm sure that will be developed over time. He's playing to our current strengths tactically, but with the acquisitions of Robertson and Done, we might just see a bit more flair for the rest of the season.

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Roll your eyes all you want. You are using a ridiculous extreme (ie arguably the greatest team in history) to make people seem like idiots for preferring a more pleasing standard of football. Some fans biggest crimes on here is to suggest they don't like the current fare being served up, you confuse this with them wanting to see the team beaten as if to prove their point.

Play the ball and not the man.

Rubbish, i can see with my own eyes SOME of the football has not been the best. What i wont agree with is we are playing Honking, or eye bleeding football all the time.

Read the matchday thread from sundays game, it says all we need to know about ridiculous extremes. :rolleyes: Oh look rolling eyes again.

J-C
05-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Who started the conversation? :greengrin

Well obviously me, I've got to ask him where he's going.

InterviewLoI
05-02-2013, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=Craig_in_Prague;3490002]Did he have his side going out and being rolled over by the same team 3 times in the same season?

We did actually. Galway United. It cost us the 2010 title!

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2013, 12:15 AM

Like most U never expected miracles in year 1. I did expect bottle, character, never-say-die performances. We still have a couple of lightweights but the rest all show Fenkon-like qualities.It wasn't his team though, this team certainly wouldn't lose 5-1 in a cup final.

gegs70
06-02-2013, 12:48 AM
Im not sure how he played at bohemians. But I would say he has looked for results first rather than entertainmnt. " If you want entertainment go to the cinema...." !!!

Treadstone
06-02-2013, 01:56 AM
Rubbish, i can see with my own eyes SOME of the football has not been the best. What i wont agree with is we are playing Honking, or eye bleeding football all the time.

Read the matchday thread from sundays game, it says all we need to know about ridiculous extremes. :rolleyes: Oh look rolling eyes again.

Classic Blackpool, starts with a one word refute of the point/post made and makes up a retort to what he thinks the question should have been to justify his ridiculous point.

basehibby
06-02-2013, 02:22 AM
From the Herald last year.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/fact-finding-over-meticulous-pat-fenlon-faces-up-to-a-few-unpleasant-truths-at-hibs.16363849

V interesting to read that now - 12 months later. A lot of the comments ring true about a stringent taskmaster with a methodical approach. He's got the team defending solidly most of the time now which is a relief - I'd almost forgotten what it felt like to feel (relatively) relaxed when the opposition win a corner as opposed to hiding my eyes every time!

Reading between the lines I get the impression Fenlon's teams are better known for being tough and well organised than for having bags of flair - but at the same time I find it hard to believe he'd have achieved a winning record such as he did in Ireland without playing good football. The signings of Robertson and Done are a step in the right direction in terms of bringing more attacking play to the side and with Liam Craig lined up for the summer it seems that adding creativity is high on Fenlons' agenda.

With the squad as it stands for the rest of the season I expect to see more of the pragmatic results first approach but hopefully, if Robertson and Done are a success, with better results and performances vs teams who tend to shut up shop at Easter Road such as Dundee & Ross County.

Treadstone
06-02-2013, 02:34 AM
Reading between the lines I get the impression Fenlon's teams are better known for being tough and well organised than for having bags of flair - but at the same time I find it hard to believe he'd have achieved a winning record such as he did in Ireland without playing good football. The signings of Robertson and Done are a step in the right direction in terms of bringing more attacking play to the side and with Liam Craig lined up for the summer it seems that adding creativity is high on Fenlons' agenda.

I do think he understands the wishes of the fans and more expansive football should follow, my disappointment was the derby game, they had a defence that was crying out to be tested and it turned into a stroll in the park for McHattie and McGowan. It was like a retro Alex Miller performance without wee fatty scoring.

basehibby
06-02-2013, 02:55 AM
I do think he understands the wishes of the fans and more expansive football should follow, my disappointment was the derby game, they had a defence that was crying out to be tested and it turned into a stroll in the park for McHattie and McGowan. It was like a retro Alex Miller performance without wee fatty scoring.

Can't disagree with that but thank heaven for small mercies - NY Derby 2012 we lost 3-1 at ER IIRC... I too yearn for expansive winning football but I think many of us have short memories and forget JUST how bad things were not so very long ago. PF has steadied the ship and set a course - some stormy seas to navigate yet but I think we're headed for sunnier climes.

Stevie Reid
06-02-2013, 11:29 AM

I can see where you're coming from to some extent, we were playing a team that was 9th in the league with a very inexperienced defence - however, playing Hearts at Tynecastle isn't like any other match. Sometimes your hear managers say that they advise players in big games to play the match and not the occasion - too often in the past Hearts have always managed to play the occasion, whilst we have choked time and time again. I've rarely seen a Hearts team fail to show up for a derby, especially at Tynie, whilst we continually fail to do so - I've seen some very good and talented Hibs teams outplayed and outmuscled by some technically poor Hearts teams over the years. I'm constantly amazed at the people on this board who come on and proclaim that we are going to hammer Hearts any time we are above them in the league - it never happens because they know exactly what derbies are all about, and what is required to win them.

Fenlon understands what the occasion means, and since he has got his own team in place we are unbeaten in 3 games against Hearts, conceding only one goal (and what a giveaway it was) - he knows that battles have to be won before football can be played, and that the players have to be at it from the first whistle to the last. Whilst we were on the back foot for the vast majority of the NY game, we defended superbly and battled away, and ultimately created as many clear cut chances as they did. Had we shown as much bottle and fight as we did then in more games over the years, our derby record would be nowhere near as poor.

The derbies have felt different since the cup final and Pat has put his own stamp on the team, and the NY derby was a good, hard earned point. If we get to the stage where a point and a clean sheet at Tynie is no longer a good result for Hibs in my lifetime, I'll be delighted.

Treadstone
06-02-2013, 02:08 PM
The derbies have felt different since the cup final and Pat has put his own stamp on the team, and the NY derby was a good, hard earned point. If we get to the stage where a point and a clean sheet at Tynie is no longer a good result for Hibs in my lifetime, I'll be delighted.

I too was happy with the point ,the effort and attitude but I still can't help feeling that it was an obvious chance to cement the shifting of the balance of power. I felt the gameplan gave Hearts too much respect and even more so considering their lineup. We had come off the back of a tremendous and deserved result in our previous game against Celtic, and surely giving a bit more rein to the players would have seen us achieve a better result.

All said I do believe we are going in the right direction but I still think an attempt at playing better football must be forthcoming especially when Sparky has dried up. He is the only player in the team capable of consistently doing something special. The pressure on him to deliver when the team are creating few chances is immense and he needs that lifted.

Stevie Reid
06-02-2013, 03:05 PM
I too was happy with the point ,the effort and attitude but I still can't help feeling that it was an obvious chance to cement the shifting of the balance of power. I felt the gameplan gave Hearts too much respect and even more so considering their lineup. We had come off the back of a tremendous and deserved result in our previous game against Celtic, and surely giving a bit more rein to the players would have seen us achieve a better result.

All said I do believe we are going in the right direction but I still think an attempt at playing better football must be forthcoming especially when Sparky has dried up. He is the only player in the team capable of consistently doing something special. The pressure on him to deliver when the team are creating few chances is immense and he needs that lifted.

It's also worth remembering that the NY derby was only 4 days after the massive effort that we put in in the Celtic game, and that Hearts did not have a game that weekend. And your talk about a shift in the balance of power is exactly what I was talking about earlier - we have a long, long way to go before we can make statements like that.

I think you could also argue that playing to defensive strengths when we are not scoring makes good sense - Griffiths has been off form and Eoin Doyle seems to be just plain knackered after playing a season and a half last year, with the latter half being at a higher level than he's ever experienced. Cairney's form has also dipped and Wotherspoon hasn't been at it recently - when the four players who were so crucial in our more free scoring performances at the start of the season aren't producing, I would say keeping the back door firmly shut makes perfect sense. We conceded 6 goals in 2 games against Well and ICT in December, since then we have conceded 4 in 7 - I would rather watch the more expansive football from earlier in the season too, but I'm glad that we can actually play a defensive game when required also. The new signings seem designed to offer much more attacking threat, hopefully we will see more football soon.

FWIW, I don't see there being any pressure on Griffiths, he is one of our best players and we are heavily reliant on him, but so are other teams on theirs - Motherwell and ICT would be much worse off without Higdon and McKay respectively, and even Man Utd and Barcelona would suffer if it weren't for the massive contributions of RVP and Messi.

Treadstone
06-02-2013, 03:25 PM
I think you could also argue that playing to defensive strengths when we are not scoring makes good sense

Do you think that playing to defensive strengths is a factor in us not scoring as frequently ? I certainly do. The way we played against Celtic was smart and needed, however to play the same way against Hearts and Aberdeen away wasn't in my opinion. Possibly he was burned in those games against ICT and Motherwell and hopefully this is just a knee jerk to counter the goals conceded and not a long term strategy.

Stevie Reid
06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Do you think that playing to defensive strengths is a factor in us not scoring as frequently ? I certainly do. The way we played against Celtic was smart and needed, however to play the same way against Hearts and Aberdeen away wasn't in my opinion. Possibly he was burned in those games against ICT and Motherwell and hopefully this is just a knee jerk to counter the goals conceded and not a long term strategy.

I can see why, but I don't think that there can be any argument that our four most creative/productive players drying up is the biggest factor in us not scoring frequently - all four have played in most of the 4-5-1 games, three of the four in all of them I think, and they have still been afforded the opportunity to produce in terms of where they have been played, albeit the overall formation was certainly more defensive.

I think the way we played at Tynie was understandable and acceptable given our abysmal record there - Aberdeen away will always be a difficult fixture and I thought our defensive performance was good, though it cannot be denied that football on offer was awful, as it has been a lot lately.

I don't think for one second that PF is a negative manager, I think the 4-4-2 and the players he played in it earlier this year shows that - however, I think that he has realised that our most prolific avenues from earlier in the season have been successfully closed off by the opposition in recent weeks, and we don't have (or didn't have) the depth required in attacking areas to offer much else as an alternative. I think Cairney at left mid was always a stop gap and now we have Done we can hopefully see more attacking threat in the coming games - Robertson is a more attacking player also, and Liam Craig is a creative midfielder. Bit by bit, we are getting there IMO.

We are more competitive in the SPL than we have been for 3 years, and have had some really notable results this season. I'm confident that Fenlon will supply us with a Hibs team that we can be proud of and want to watch. By my count we have only played 4-5-1 in 6 matches this season, so it hasn't been predominantly negative. I do accept that recent weeks have been bad, but I think that it's just a case of battling for points when we need to for the moment.

As I said before, the fact that we have defensive strengths to play to is huge progress in itself.

Hibernia Na Eir
06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
:confused:Have a word with yourself! Have you ever watched any League of Ireland games?

I've seen a few LOI's and the SPL not miles ahead, by any stretch. there might be pokier grounds in Eire but the play is similar to Scotland, ie no time on ball, cut and thrust, hoof it up etc etc

Sudds_1
06-02-2013, 09:13 PM
No! No! No! We should do it immediately otherwise everybody including the fans should be sacked. :agree: I want 2nd and the cup and somebody selling macaroon bars & spearmint chewing gum or I winnae be back :agree:

you dont half talk pish!...........

macaroon bars wi spearmint? Its GOT to be peppermint man! :greengrin

Fergus52
06-02-2013, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=Craig_in_Prague;3490002]Did he have his side going out and being rolled over by the same team 3 times in the same season?

We did actually. Galway United. It cost us the 2010 title!

That IS bad!

I went to go see sligo play galway and they were absolutely hammered, 8-0 or something.

A certain Mr Doyle had a very good game.

GlenrothesHibee
07-02-2013, 10:05 PM
I can see why, but I don't think that there can be any argument that our four most creative/productive players drying up is the biggest factor in us not scoring frequently - all four have played in most of the 4-5-1 games, three of the four in all of them I think, and they have still been afforded the opportunity to produce in terms of where they have been played, albeit the overall formation was certainly more defensive.

I think the way we played at Tynie was understandable and acceptable given our abysmal record there - Aberdeen away will always be a difficult fixture and I thought our defensive performance was good, though it cannot be denied that football on offer was awful, as it has been a lot lately.

I don't think for one second that PF is a negative manager, I think the 4-4-2 and the players he played in it earlier this year shows that - however, I think that he has realised that our most prolific avenues from earlier in the season have been successfully closed off by the opposition in recent weeks, and we don't have (or didn't have) the depth required in attacking areas to offer much else as an alternative. I think Cairney at left mid was always a stop gap and now we have Done we can hopefully see more attacking threat in the coming games - Robertson is a more attacking player also, and Liam Craig is a creative midfielder. Bit by bit, we are getting there IMO.

We are more competitive in the SPL than we have been for 3 years, and have had some really notable results this season. I'm confident that Fenlon will supply us with a Hibs team that we can be proud of and want to watch. By my count we have only played 4-5-1 in 6 matches this season, so it hasn't been predominantly negative. I do accept that recent weeks have been bad, but I think that it's just a case of battling for points when we need to for the moment.

As I said before, the fact that we have defensive strengths to play to is huge progress in itself.

Very good post