PDA

View Full Version : Scotland under 21's

Billy Whizz
29-01-2013, 02:49 PM
No Hibees in the pool, been a while since that happened. Handling and Caldwell must be seen as too young?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21248543

greenlex
29-01-2013, 02:56 PM
No Hibees in the pool, been a while since that happened. Handling and Caldwell must be seen as too young?

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21248543
Was just about to post similar. WTF is going on Petrie?

frazeHFC
29-01-2013, 03:14 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21248543

Or maybe just not good enough...yet, hopefully soon though! They could still play U19s though i take it?

Golden Bear
29-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Yip, it's very disappointing.

patlowe
29-01-2013, 04:36 PM
This is a wider point but I can't help but think that our reputation for developing and bringing through quality young players is being consigned to history. Wotherspoon, Stevenson and Hanlon are the only youth team players to have successfully established themselves in the first team since the Mowbray years. What is the problem? Are young players not getting a chance because the pressures are deemed too high? Are they being kept out of the team by 'experienced' duds? Are they simply not good enough?

You think back to the guys that came through in the early noughties; Brown, Thomson, Fletcher etc. Granted, it was partly necessity that these guys came in but did early exposure to the first team do them any harm? I'm inclined to think the opposite.

Why weren't the guys that won the league/cup double at 19s not brought into the side earlier? Was their success deemed more important than their development in the first team? Or were they never going to be good enough to progress from playing against wee boys?

For us to be successful and sustainable, we need to develop, nurture and ultimately play our young players. If we can't then I fear that our progress on the park will be limited.

Speedy
29-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Were we getting the players in the first place?

For the last 5 or 6 years I've heard a few times that Hearts have a better reputation for youngsters and players have picked them over Hibs.

Might be crap, I've no personal experience, but it's what I've heard. The timing would work as well.

Golden Bear
29-01-2013, 05:00 PM
This is a wider point but I can't help but think that our reputation for developing and bringing through quality young players is being consigned to history. Wotherspoon, Stevenson and Hanlon are the only youth team players to have successfully established themselves in the first team since the Mowbray years. What is the problem? Are young players not getting a chance because the pressures are deemed too high? Are they being kept out of the team by 'experienced' duds? Are they simply not good enough?

You think back to the guys that came through in the early noughties; Brown, Thomson, Fletcher etc. Granted, it was partly necessity that these guys came in but did early exposure to the first team do them any harm? I'm inclined to think the opposite.

Why weren't the guys that won the league/cup double at 19s not brought into the side earlier? Was their success deemed more important than their development in the first team? Or were they never going to be good enough to progress from playing against wee boys?

For us to be successful and sustainable, we need to develop, nurture and ultimately play our young players. If we can't then I fear that our progress on the park will be limited.

Good post with some very valid questions.

big-mo
29-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Hibs u18's played Scotland u'18s at east mains today, Hibs won 2-1 with their goal being against the run of play and due to Hibs defender slipping. Hibs dominated the game.

However their was only one Hibs player in the Scotland team, we are unlikely to see any others getting called up, typical.

Hibee Ryan
29-01-2013, 06:47 PM

I know this doesn't answer all your questions but the success of the team will have a major impact on when they're put into the squad. It's happening at Celtic, they know they don't have to win every game so they can play some of their youngsters and fringe players.

I think at the time that players like kurtis Byrne and Sean lynch were coming through we still had players like Steven fletcher and Scott brown at the club! Some players probably weren't good enough but under yogi he couldn't really bring any youngsters into the squad in the second half as we needed to start winning.

Under calderwood he just didn't seem to be interested in doing anything so I couldn't say much!

Fenlon may not have it so far but this season was about getting is steady! We should see more players coming through if we start to get more consistent

I think under willmainson was the time that all youngsters started to develop but that was more out of necessity rather than choice as we didn't have any better options!

We're always going to have periods of good development and bad development, happens it every club!

truehibernian
29-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Hibs u18's played Scotland u'18s at east mains today, Hibs won 2-1 with their goal being against the run of play and due to Hibs defender slipping. Hibs dominated the game.

However their was only one Hibs player in the Scotland team, we are unlikely to see any others getting called up, typical.

Did Jay Doyle play mo ? Have hopes for him

big-mo
30-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Did Jay Doyle play mo ? Have hopes for him

I wasn't at the game so did not get the team line-ups. Jay does look like he could be a player but it may be a while before any of the youngsters get a chance at the big time at ER.

truehibernian
30-01-2013, 09:39 PM
I wasn't at the game so did not get the team line-ups. Jay does look like he could be a player but it may be a while before any of the youngsters get a chance at the big time at ER.

No worries mate - he scored the winner from the bench I'm told.

Would help if Pat plays them and in their correct position - Danny Handling ain't no right midfielder - he scores goals up front. Harris would walk into our side at present too.