PDA

View Full Version : Why the high expectations?

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I'd love us to play expansive football, and play like Barcelona or 70s Brazil. Yet more and more people seem to be saying we should be rolling over the top of the smaller clubs, just because they percieve us to be a bigger club?

Can those who think this, please tell me the last time this actually happened? And why you expect this so quickly after the last few seasons we have had?

ancient hibee
28-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Because we're numpties?

Fergus52
28-01-2013, 06:06 PM
I know. We should be at the very least in the top six each year and challenging for Europe. Anything less should be deemed as a failure.

However, when our fans start going on about the odd poor result to a "smaller" team and how "a club our size" should always be beating "small" teams, we sound as arrogant and delusional as our smelly neighbors.

Scouse Hibee
28-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Fantasy is easier to follow than reallity

Green Fish
28-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I would like to be in a position when Hibs go away to teams like Ross Co, ICT that we are well capable of picking up 3 points, and certainly one point with solid displays. At this time it certainly isn't the case - I am just hopeful more than anything.

In relation to home form we should be aiming to try and dominate these teams but we're not.

I pray that whilst we keep our defensive MF qualiites that we are a bit more offensive with Robertson coming in this will allow Spoony, if he stays, to move further forward.

Things have improved and i'm sure we're on the up. GG :greengrin

DanHFC1875
28-01-2013, 07:08 PM
If you don't expect results from Hibs, why would you bother being a fan. Stupid pointless thread. We should be in the position we're in now or better every season. We're not playing very well, but let's hope we do. I expect us to ;)

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2013, 07:17 PM
If you don't expect results from Hibs, why would you bother being a fan. Stupid pointless thread. We should be in the position we're in now or better every season. We're not playing very well, but let's hope we do. I expect us to ;)

That bit is only true if you had gone to games and never opened your eyes, sadly that was not the case for me. I watched a team get worse and worse during that time, with players as bad as i have witnessed in my time watching Hibs. (45 years)

I went to games not expecting wins, i hoped we would but was never confident. I'd call that being a fan in fact i'd call it being a bloody good one? What would you call it? :confused:

Alfred E Newman
28-01-2013, 07:47 PM
I'd love us to play expansive football, and play like Barcelona or 70s Brazil. Yet more and more people seem to be saying we should be rolling over the top of the smaller clubs, just because they percieve us to be a bigger club?

Can those who think this, please tell me the last time this actually happened? And why you expect this so quickly after the last few seasons we have had?

Most sensible post I've read in years. People on here that think that we can seriously expect to compete with the likes of Inverness ,Motherwell and St Mirren with our limited resources need their heads looked at.I

Fergus52
28-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Most sensible post I've read in years. People on here that think that we can seriously expect to compete with the likes of Inverness ,Motherwell and St Mirren with our limited resources need their heads looked at.I

You're poor sarcasm is pretty flawed considering that we are way ahead of St Mirren and even though Inverness and motherwell are doing well this year, on average we've come ahead of both of them the past ten seasons or so.

All hibs fans think we should be doing better than those teams and rightly so.

The OP's point was that it is ridiculous that our supporters seem to expect us to win EVERY game against teams deemed smaller than us. The teams you mentioned certainly don't.

Feed McGraw
28-01-2013, 07:54 PM

When we were on " The great adventure ". :greengrin

Broken Gnome
28-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Our difference in resources in our favour is relatively neglible. The difference between paying someone £1k a week to £400 a week is hardly symbolic of the quality that will frequently perform to better levels.

Those teams are just as likely to have good and bad runs as we are, and over the course of the season then yes, you'd like to think we were better off than the majority of the teams in the league. There's also every chance our bad runs will coincide with the odd good day for a team on slightly less money, and then we'll struggle. Hardly surprising. Being able to avoid defeat to Celtic, Hearts, Dundee and Aberdeen is a decent indicator of where we are at the moment, which is no bad thing. Prioritised the gritty, then the attempts to improve the quality come next.

LioNeilMessi
28-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Kind of moaning that goes on here really reminds me of the Oldco's 'We deserve better' campaign in the Le Guen era IIRC? Throwing the toys out just because the odd performance has been below par. Really cringe worthy.

First season as a STH, and I have to say I've really enjoyed the home games. Games have been exciting and there has been some fantastic Hibs' goals scored! :thumbsup:
I will definitely be renewing when the time comes. :flag:

Aldo
28-01-2013, 08:22 PM
That bit is only true if you had gone to games and never opened your eyes, sadly that was not the case for me. I watched a team get worse and worse during that time, with players as bad as i have witnessed in my time watching Hibs. (45 years)

I went to games not expecting wins, i hoped we would but was never confident. I'd call that being a fan in fact i'd call it being a bloody good one? What would you call it? :confused:

Daftie.... Cos that's what I was. But loved every minute of it (apart from 90 a few months back) Been watching Hibs since 1978, 35 years or so. I used to have an expectation every season way back then but tbh went to the games for the banter and meeting of yur pals in the bus on away days. Still wanted the team to win and was disappointed if we didn't but we had a few beers, a sing song and looked forward to the following week?

down-the-slope
28-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Biggest Resources Always Win........that would make for a great sport.....:rolleyes:

Fortunately Football does not work that way enough of the time to make it the fascinating thing it can often be...

jabis
28-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Because we're numpties?

let's start a club............Numpties And Dissalutional Scociety (hibs branch)

Alfred E Newman
28-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Biggest Resources Always Win........that would make for a great sport.....:rolleyes:

Fortunately Football does not work that way enough of the time to make it the fascinating thing it can often be...

It has done in Scotland over the past 30 years. While no team can expect to win every game the Old Firm have dominated the league thanks to their resources. Given our more modest resources our record over the past 35 years has been abysmal.

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2013, 08:58 PM
It has done in Scotland over the past 30 years. While no team can expect to win every game the Old Firm have dominated the league thanks to their resources. Given our more modest resources our record over the past 35 years has been abysmal.

Hahahahaha, they have 10 times the resources we have, we might have a 3rd more or maybe at a stretch Half as much income as some of our competitors, and as someone else has said we do better than them most of the time.

Captain Trips
29-01-2013, 03:18 PM

I do not think we should role over teams but it not happening in past is irrelevant. When you spend (OTT IMO) £4m on training facilities and another few million ploughed into a stadium that has to come with expectations and our support base and infrastructure say at this juncture 2nd/3rd and lastly 4th.

Unfortunatly the onfield part hasnt worked out but I see no point in all this investment to be "making the top 6". There is no top 6 for me there are European places and that is all we should be looking to get year on year. Lower than 4th is a failure for me but this season it will be good due to the total shambles of last 2yrs.

I expect next season if PF is as good as I now hope to be a top 4 club, if not then for me he will be a failure.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2013, 03:35 PM
I do not think we should role over teams but it not happening in past is irrelevant. When you spend (OTT IMO) £4m on training facilities and another few million ploughed into a stadium that has to come with expectations and our support base and infrastructure say at this juncture 2nd/3rd and lastly 4th.

Unfortunatly the onfield part hasnt worked out but I see no point in all this investment to be "making the top 6". There is no top 6 for me there are European places and that is all we should be looking to get year on year. Lower than 4th is a failure for me but this season it will be good due to the total shambles of last 2yrs.

I expect next season if PF is as good as I now hope to be a top 4 club, if not then for me he will be a failure.

Not really sure what spending £4m on a training centre does over one thats cost £2m or one thats rented? What i do know is we have never really rolled over the smaller clubs in our entire history, and having a £4m training centre imo wont change that now?

I agree 100% with the rest of your post, 4th place at least should be our aim and hopefully higher with The Rangers out the way for another couple of seasons.

Any lower should be deemed as failure.

HFC 0-7
29-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Dont think people have been saying we should be rolling over the smaller teams, I think what people have been saying is that we should be beating them, competing more and not being outplayed by them. I dont think anyone is really expecting silky football on a par with the top teams in europe, what people expect is the team to be doing the basics and actually playing football on the ground more than what we have been. we have improved this season but there has been times we have been looking pretty bad and not able to do the basics. This is what annoys me about Hibs, the inconsistency, one match we keep the ball and pass it around, other games its like no one wants it and we hump it at the first opportunity.

Lucius Apuleius
29-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Where I disagree Carlsberg is the training centre. To me it was necessary. Did we need a £4m one is another argument. My POV has been made many times, infrastructure before product. We have no need for any capital expenditure in the near future. All monies can go to the team now and gradually pay off our mortgages as we are supposed to. Unfortunately we have done this at a period of time which is economically catastrophic for a lot of people who have had to refocus their spending. Entertainment (if we call it that :wink:) is one of the first items to drop off the bills when you cannot afford food. I still think we are sitting in a great position to take advantage of all this in the very near future. After the summer break when Fenlon has had 3 transfer windows then I would say we should and will IMO be pushing second for a fair wee while until and if the the hun return.

superfurryhibby
29-01-2013, 04:13 PM
With HIbs there are no maps, we travel by inspiration....more in hope than expectation.

Historically we have probably underachieved and the reality is that we have been fairly ***** for much of forty odd years of my watching. I guess we take the rough with the smooth. The only sustained period of quality football in my time, was under Turnbull (this for maybe five seasons). With the changes to the modern game, freedom of contract, changes to how revenues are distributed, TV money etc, it is pretty unlikely that anyone will ever challenge the OF for the title again.

However, I feel the club has been run pretty poorly in the footballing sense, probably going back to the end of the Mowbray era. No continuity of manager, too many huddies in and then out again. We should always aim to be the best of the rest and with the right management I believe that it's possible to do this and challenge for cups with some consistency. WE have no divine right to be better than anyone else, but a well mananged Hibs should always aspire to achieve more.

Alfred E Newman
30-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Hahahahaha, they have 10 times the resources we have, we might have a 3rd more or maybe at a stretch Half as much income as some of our competitors, and as someone else has said we do better than them most of the time.

That will be why we have only managed one draw and four defeats against the mighty Ross County.

sesoim
30-01-2013, 08:53 PM

First of all, I've barely noticed anybody saying they expect us to hammer teams. But we SHOULD be doing better with our resources. It is not just about this season, its almost every season since I started watching HIbs games in the early 80s. If you think we are doing as well as we should be, check out our head to head record against most of the SPL teams over the years. We CONSTANTLY underperform. I know supporting a club isn't all about winning, but if you support a team surely you have a right to question why other teams who have less money keep on doing better than us.

And as far your last point - Butcher and a quite a few managers have to sign loads of new players (and bring in a lot of youngsters ) every year. So Fenlon has no excuse as to why (with more money available) we appear to be no better than just about anybody else in the SPL this season.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Maybe if only 3K turn up at ER we might start punching our weight! Brown, Morrow and Sproule in the Dingwall team, never mind Gary Glen! Steward's Enquiry!

Russell The Dug
30-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Maybe if only 3K turn up at ER we might start punching our weight! Brown, Morrow and Sproule in the Dingwall team, never mind Gary Glen! Steward's Enquiry!

When there's only 3k turning up at Easter Road then this thread will be relevant.

Top 6 every season should be our realistic target someone on here said? **** sake.

1 win in 3 against Dundee, 4 loses out of 5 to Ross County, emptied from the league cup off 2nd division QOS, the final, relegation battles, Coco the clown, bags of sweeties, turning down compensation the paying the clueless prick off. It's been a complete disaster the last few years now were at the stage there's the "why the high expectation" beggars belief.

crewetollhibee
30-01-2013, 11:44 PM
let's start a club............Numpties And Dissalutional Scociety (hibs branch)

I'll be your cheerleader. Go NADS.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Ballocks to that!

Hibrandenburg
31-01-2013, 09:35 AM

It's the conditioning. I had it drummed into me at an early age that the Hibs were the greatest thing ever to have walked on grass, even that dude who walked on water was of lesser ability than at least 5 of my old boys idols.

I was mid way through 7 O' Grades before I even started to think that maybe the old git might have been exaggerating slightly and his inheritance to me might not be the shining path it appeared to be but instead a ball and chain that I'll have to lump round with me for evermore. Unfortunately my son has been plagued with a similar old ******* to the one I had and therefore the abuse has been passed on to the next generation.

So to answer your question, expectation is like life itself, based on an eternal hope that that comes from deep inside but is normally smashed to smithereens on a regular basis. Being a Hibby is not the easy option but there are sure as **** worse alternatives.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-01-2013, 11:21 AM
It's the conditioning. I had it drummed into me at an early age that the Hibs were the greatest thing ever to have walked on grass, even that dude who walked on water was of lesser ability than at least 5 of my old boys idols.

I was mid way through 7 O' Grades before I even started to think that maybe the old git might have been exaggerating slightly and his inheritance to me might not be the shining path it appeared to be but instead a ball and chain that I'll have to lump round with me for evermore. Unfortunately my son has been plagued with a similar old ******* to the one I had and therefore the abuse has been passed on to the next generation.

So to answer your question, expectation is like life itself, based on an eternal hope that that comes from deep inside but is normally smashed to smithereens on a regular basis. Being a Hibby is not the easy option but there are sure as **** worse alternatives.

Good post.

Jim44
31-01-2013, 11:50 AM
You can't argue that we have made some progress but, equally, there can be no denying that losing three league matches against the promoted club is a disgrace.