PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen support

Spike Mandela
27-01-2013, 06:09 PM
I know our current crowds aren't much to write home about but what's happened to the Aberdeen support? Really poor turnout today.

Hermit Crab
27-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I know our current crowds aren't much to write home about but what's happened to the Aberdeen support? Really poor turnout today.

Sunday 12:30 on tv £23 to get in ******* football freezing cold. Says it all.

HibbyAndy
27-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Nae wonder Craig Brown was on Sky sports the other day saying Aberdeen have nowhere near one of the highest budgets in the SPL, With crowds at hame round about the 7K mark is woeful.

You could hear a pin drop at Todders today. Our fans may have drifted away but certainly not as bad as Aberdeen's have.

Twiglet
27-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Nae wonder Craig Brown was on Sky sports the other day saying Aberdeen have nowhere near one of the highest budgets in the SPL, With crowds at hame round about the 7K mark is woeful.

You could hear a pin drop at Todders today. Our fans may have drifted away but certainly not as bad as Aberdeen's have.

Was the Aberdeen band not there making lots of noise?

yeezus.
27-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Given my recent poor health this is the first away trip at Pittodrie I've missed in a few years.

When I was Aberdeen University a mate would insist we go to Pittodrie now and again. I have never come across such terrible support. The fans generally don't turn up - and when they did, they gave the players grief the whole time.

At one point, Aberdeen were 3-0 up against Dundee United and playing like Barcalona. Then late on, Dundee United got a consolation goal. All hell broke lose in the main stand and the fans were acting as if they had just conceded their 5th of the night.

Crap home support but to be fair, they have a massive travelling support.

hfc rd
27-01-2013, 08:19 PM
That's one thing I am so confused about. They have the best away support in the league after Celtic but their attendances at home over the last couple of seasons are shocking yet they want to build a bigger stadium? The last time I saw that ground full was back in 2008 when they played Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup.

PJ IronHIbee
27-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Given my recent poor health this is the first away trip at Pittodrie I've missed in a few years.

When I was Aberdeen University a mate would insist we go to Pittodrie now and again. I have never come across such terrible support. The fans generally don't turn up - and when they did, they gave the players grief the whole time.

At one point, Aberdeen were 3-0 up against Dundee United and playing like Barcalona. Then late on, Dundee United got a consolation goal. All hell broke lose in the main stand and the fans were acting as if they had just conceded their 5th of the night.

They have a massive travelling support due to the glory hunters in the 80's. I know loads of sheep who live in Edinburgh & the surrounding areas. Don't be fooled that they travel from Aberdeen week in week out!

DrSpaceMonkey
27-01-2013, 08:21 PM
crowd was 7,184 but being there it didn't look nowhere near that. Looked more like 5000 at a push

JohnStephens91
28-01-2013, 07:37 AM
For a club with no rivals in their city to split the fan base they have a rank home attendance most of the time.

DAVE1875
28-01-2013, 08:49 AM
For a club with no rivals in their city to split the fan base they have a rank home attendance most of the time.

I imagine the crowds would be better if there weren't as many Aberdonians that support Septic or Newco, then again we could say the same for ourselves but we're in a split city as you say

yeezus.
28-01-2013, 09:44 AM
They have a massive travelling support due to the glory hunters in the 80's. I know loads of sheep who live in Edinburgh & the surrounding areas. Don't be fooled that they travel from Aberdeen week in week out!
[/B]

Fair enough. I've seen a couple of sheep in Stranraer - guys who supported them when they were winning obviously.

Frazerbob
28-01-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't think we are in a possition to slag the Sheep. From my seat in the main stand, that was the smallest Hibs support I have ever seen at Pitoddrie. My first vist here was 1983 and I've only missed a handfull of Hibs games since, (mainly due to living here for the past 12 years or so). Uur support has been dwindelling year on year at Pitoddrie. I would recon there was around 200 at best. Huge credit to those who made the effort, they made a lot of noise for such a wee bunch. I realise the trains were a joke, it was on TV, everyone is skint etc but it seems to me that there is a barrier at Dundee for Hibs fans travelling north. We usually take great numbers to both Dundee clubs yet so few are prepared to travel the extra hour to Aberdeen.

Frazerbob
28-01-2013, 10:23 AM
I imagine the crowds would be better if there weren't as many Aberdonians that support Septic or Newco, then again we could say the same for ourselves but we're in a split city as you say

Very true. My educated guess would say that there are more Old Firm fans in Aberdeen than Sheep these days. I've run several bars in the city and there is ALWAYS more folk in to watch Rangers or Celtic than Aberdeen games. Not scientific I know but it does tell me there is a significant number of glory hunters up here.

DAVE1875
28-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Very true. My educated guess would say that there are more Old Firm fans in Aberdeen than Sheep these days. I've run several bars in the city and there is ALWAYS more folk in to watch Rangers or Celtic than Aberdeen games. Not scientific I know but it does tell me there is a significant number of glory hunters up here.

I wouldn't say there are more, mind there are also all the towns and villages in Abedeenshire to take into account aswell. I wouldn't say there are more, but more than enough for my comfort and liking. can't remember the last time I was in Aberdeen and didn't see a piece of Celtic or Rangers apparel, just stand outside Poundland on Union Street and wait 5 seconds.

oramhibee
28-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Tannadice had 5117 for United v Ross County, Tannadice has 14000 odd seats... Poor show from Aberdeen and Dundee United.

cam75
28-01-2013, 01:52 PM
£40 for me and my 9 year old joke

Speedway
28-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I don't think we are in a possition to slag the Sheep. From my seat in the main stand, that was the smallest Hibs support I have ever seen at Pitoddrie. My first vist here was 1983 and I've only missed a handfull of Hibs games since, (mainly due to living here for the past 12 years or so). Uur support has been dwindelling year on year at Pitoddrie. I would recon there was around 200 at best. Huge credit to those who made the effort, they made a lot of noise for such a wee bunch. I realise the trains were a joke, it was on TV, everyone is skint etc but it seems to me that there is a barrier at Dundee for Hibs fans travelling north. We usually take great numbers to both Dundee clubs yet so few are prepared to travel the extra hour to Aberdeen.

To do wha?....oh...ok....got it.

Frazerbob
28-01-2013, 01:59 PM

That is a joke. My step son and his dad are Sheep fans and it cost them £24 for the Merkland Stand. Despite it being behind the goal it's probably a better view than the away end.

marinello59
28-01-2013, 02:06 PM

You were ripped off, it should only have been £32. Under 12s got in for £9. They tried to charge my 11 year old laddy the dearer price as well.

StevieC
28-01-2013, 02:32 PM
[/B]

Doesn't really matter where they come from, credit where credit is due.

I suspect we've a decent number of supporters outwith Edinburgh, possibly down to our success of the early 70's (albeit passed down a generation or two).

The Sea-gull
28-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Home crowds are down left, right and centre. The Sheep home crowds are worse than ours and have been for a while but they definitely out trump us when away followings are concerned.

One thing I would say for the Yams is their crowds seem to hold up reasonably well, even when others are struggling. Unless they doctor their figures of course!

If we get put out the cup on Sunday, our crowd v St Johnstone at home on Monday 11th Feb will be outrageously low. We could be looking at our lowest league crowd in a long, long time. Game on TV, cold Monday night in Feb will kill the crowd enough as it is never mind the fall out if we get put out the cup. Whoever selects games like this for telly needs to have a good think about it.

SkintHibby
28-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Not a valid point. Aberdeen is only half the size of Edinburgh.

alfie
28-01-2013, 04:07 PM

You are forgetting about Cove Rangers and I suppose at a push, Inverurie Locos!

PJ IronHIbee
28-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Doesn't really matter where they come from, credit where credit is due.

I suspect we've a decent number of supporters outwith Edinburgh, possibly down to our success of the early 70's (albeit passed down a generation or two).

I attend more games at Pittodrie than some sheep fans I know. There are 4 Dons fans in my office alone - there are 3 Hibees and 5 Yams. I was at the game on Sunday but none of the sheep in my office attended. They are all buzzing about the cup game next week though. Enough said!
GGTTH

cam75
29-01-2013, 06:13 AM
[QUOTE=marinello59;3486859]You were ripped off, it should only have been £32. Under 12s got in for £9. They tried to charge my 11 year old laddy the dearer price as well.[/
Brutal No prices were on show I just stumped up the cash without a thought!

The_Sauz
29-01-2013, 10:12 AM
[/B]
They (Aberdeen) and Dundee Utd use to run buses out of Edinburgh :agree:

Frazerbob
29-01-2013, 10:25 AM
They (Aberdeen) and Dundee Utd use to run buses out of Edinburgh :agree:

We used to run a bus from Aberdeen back in the late 80's, early 90's. There was even a fanzine up here, The North East Hibernian.

R'Albin
29-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Was the Aberdeen band not there making lots of noise?

Not even there. Absolutely pathetic they way they're having a go at us for not allowing them into ER.

JimBHibees
29-01-2013, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=marinello59;3486859]You were ripped off, it should only have been £32. Under 12s got in for £9. They tried to charge my 11 year old laddy the dearer price as well.[/
Brutal No prices were on show I just stumped up the cash without a thought!

Send a letter of complaint to the club you may get a refund.

Twiglet
29-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Not even there. Absolutely pathetic they way they're having a go at us for not allowing them into ER.

Had a feeling you would say that...

Houchy
29-01-2013, 12:14 PM

I've said it before, I think that Aberdeen only have a large travelling support due to their success in the 80's. I remember when I was at primary school, a fair few of my friends supported Aberdeen but probably couldn't point it out on a map. The same could be said of Liverpool. You'll find Aberdeen fans fragmented all over Scotland so find it easier to get to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth, Dundee etc.

cam75
29-01-2013, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=cam75;3487434]

Send a letter of complaint to the club you may get a refund.

Made Phone call and will get a reply tomorrow,after David speaks to operation manager?