PDA

View Full Version : Wtf?? (Griffiths)

Pages : 1 [2]

Scouse Hibee
03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
The gherkin is probably the most tasty thing on a McDonald's burger, he needs to develop his taste buds and stop eating ******.

HibeeN
03-02-2013, 08:35 AM
I was sure I had heard this story before, and when I saw the date I remembered Griffiths had actually been talking about it on twitter at the time. Must be a really slow news day if they are feeling the need to drag up stories from weeks ago that weren't even a big deal or newsworthy at the time.

hibsbollah
03-02-2013, 08:36 AM
I was sure I had heard this story before, and when I saw the date I remembered Griffiths had actually been talking about it on twitter at the time. Must be a really slow news day if they are feeling the need to drag up stories from weeks ago that weren't even a big deal or newsworthy at the time.

Every day is a slow news day at the Record :agree:

StevieC
03-02-2013, 08:39 AM
The freaks who like gherkins should have to ask for them on, rather than the other way!

Thats just stupid, if you take the gherkin out you won't be able to count it as one of your "5-a-day".

MSK
03-02-2013, 08:51 AM
"There were kids sitting eating and some even tried to approach him" ..... ..aye, knowing that place it would be tae either steal his burger or mug him ...:tee hee:

Brightside
03-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Our star player eating Macdonalds, or him ranting at a minimum wage school kid. Not sure whats worse. I wish he would buckle down and start concentrating on football. All the talent but an empty heid.

Hibbyradge
03-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Our star player eating Macdonalds, or him ranting at a minimum wage school kid. Not sure whats worse. I wish he would buckle down and start concentrating on football. All the talent but an empty heid.

Oh dear.

Brightside
03-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Oh dear.

Indeed. There should be a thread about how well he is playing rather than a thread about his off the field activities. He's potentially a top class striker - or would you rather he went the same way as our other talented but now washed up strikers.

CraigHibee
03-02-2013, 09:16 AM
they are McMaking a Mcmountain out of a McMolehill :greengrin

MSK
03-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Indeed. There should be a thread about how well he is playing rather than a thread about his off the field activities. He's potentially a top class striker - or would you rather he went the same way as our other talented but now washed up strikers.Feel free tae start one then, nothing holding you back ...:aok:

You will see that hardly anyone (you apart) are taking this too seriously & most are making a mockery of what is yet another piece of shoddy journalism ..:aok:

Brightside
03-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Feel free tae start one then, nothing holding you back ...:aok:

You will see that hardly anyone (you apart) are taking this too seriously & most are making a mockery of what is yet another piece of shoddy journalism ..:aok:

Yep - I'll start it when i get back from the game. :na na:

Sweet Left Peg
03-02-2013, 09:33 AM
The freaks who like gherkins should have to ask for them on, rather than the other way :agree: You tell 'em Leigh!

This. Always.

Eyrie
03-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Griffiths has gone right down in my estimation after reading this. What sort of a man doesn't like gherkins?

Hibbyradge
03-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Griffiths has gone right down in my estimation after reading this. What sort of a man doesn't like gherkins?

:agree:

Hibbyradge
03-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Obviously a jakey wee Yam decided to try to make himself £50 by selling this nonsense to the Record.

I don't suppose the journalist is a Dons fan by any chance, trying to affect Leigh's focus for the game?

Hibbyradge
03-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Indeed. There should be a thread about how well he is playing rather than a thread about his off the field activities. He's potentially a top class striker - or would you rather he went the same way as our other talented but now washed up strikers.

lol

"Footballer swears" shock horror probe.

You're choosing to give a nothing story like this some gravitas. No-one else is.

hibbiedon
03-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Feel free tae start one then, nothing holding you back ...:aok:You will see that hardly anyone (you apart) are taking this too seriously & most are making a mockery of what is yet another piece of shoddy journalism ..:aok:Well I am taking it serious, what a shocking waste of a gherkin, does he not realise that in certain squalid areas of Edinburgh there are starving footballers who never know from one month to the next if they will be paid or not

JollyGreenGiant
03-02-2013, 09:50 AM
So this is headline news for the DR! Wait till one of our biggest games of the season, and then print a joke of a story dating back weeks in another attempt to unsettle our top scorer!

Joke of a newspaper!!

greenlex
He can't be that fussy an eater or he wouldn't go near McDonalds. They do employ clowns.

NYHibby
The PFA and the SPL should be looking to introduce something like the NFL's rookie introductory sessions. Leigh seems like the kind of person who would benefit from that.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Rookie-symposium-Troy-Vincent-Harold-Carmichael-Phillip-Daniels-Terry-Cousin-steers-in-right-direction-062712

Chibs
03-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Well well well.The rangers get pumped out the cup big style and that effin comic comes out with a story about Leigh having a tantrum about not getting his order right. Wow!And this was on the tenth of January this supposed incident took place so I assume there must have been some serious investigative journalism done there before printing this cr@p.And before any accuses me of buying that joke of a newspaper,I don't.I found this story on sickback and to be fair to them even they are calling it utter bullsh@t.One even posted the next story will be Griffiths farts in street which made me smile.

hibsbollah
The PFA and the SPL should be looking to introduce something like the NFL's rookie introductory seasons. Leigh seems like the kind of person who would benefit from that.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Rookie-symposium-Troy-Vincent-Harold-Carmichael-Phillip-Daniels-Terry-Cousin-steers-in-right-direction-062712

Im not sure that will help him develop a taste for the humble gherkin though :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
Thats just stupid, if you take the gherkin out you won't be able to count it as one of your "5-a-day".

:agree: I always swill it down with a bottle of Magners, and hey presto only 3 to go. :thumbsup:

Jack Hackett
03-02-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm four square behind Leigh on this. Hibs are the only greens I love. The only veggies I like come served with gravy or sauce...cows, sheep, pigs etc.

I'm sick of having these vile things forced on me by food vendors and the time has come for carnivores to stand up and be counted.

You can stick your 5-a-day where the sun don't shine :giruy:

J-C
03-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Love this total non story..............a diner said.................an onlooker also said.............no names or even the name of the manager at said establishment.

You can see the scenario now, Griffiths drives up orders his food, when he gets said food, he notices the order is wrong. Goes into establishment ask why his order is wrong, the thicko's that work there look at him with dumbstuck awe, he tells them that ordering a Big Mac without Gherkin isn't f***ing rocket scienceand how could you get it wrong etc etc.

We've all been to Macdonald's and TBH the majority of staff are thick as, I've actually been handed the totally wrong meal after waiting at the parking area, their reply was, oh sorry sir don't know how that happened, they didn't know how you can completely get a meal order wrong, 4 meals all different to the ones I asked for, DOH!!!

MSK
03-02-2013, 01:07 PM
...[deleted]Give it a rest & cut out the personal stuff please ..

Prof. Shaggy
03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Love this total non story..............a diner said.................an onlooker also said.............no names or even the name of the manager at said establishment.

You can see the scenario now, Griffiths drives up orders his food, when he gets said food, he notices the order is wrong. Goes into establishment ask why his order is wrong, the thicko's that work there look at him with dumbstuck awe, he tells them that ordering a Big Mac without Gherkin isn't f***ing rocket scienceand how could you get it wrong etc etc.

We've all been to Macdonald's and TBH the majority of staff are thick as, I've actually been handed the totally wrong meal after waiting at the parking area, their reply was, oh sorry sir don't know how that happened, they didn't know how you can completely get a meal order wrong, 4 meals all different to the ones I asked for, DOH!!!

Oi!
Prof. ****gy jnr happens to be an employee of Macdonald's. (Not at Kinnaird Park, however)

When asked to comment on the Record story he said,"People do get quite annoyed when you do that."(ie include an unsolicited gherkin) "It's always pretty funny."

.netters may conclude what they choose from this.

silverhibee
03-02-2013, 09:26 PM

But you believed other stories that were written in the same manner about an ex player who played for Hibs. :confused:

If they got my order wrong i would simply go back in and explain they have made a mistake and could they give me what i ordered and i would be nice and polite about it, not go storming in like a bull and making a fool of myself.

We have all got in to taxis before and we know how much pish the drivers can talk, but we don't start giving them abuse for it, someone has made a mistake here with an order from the drive through simple as that, no need for a childish rant from LG, and you are calling the folk who work in McDonalds thickos, i wonder what they think of LG after the last couple of weeks he has had.

Now, yes of course its a non story, but no need for the remarks about the folk who work in McDs, a mistake happened, s*** happens eh, but there is a right and wrong way to deal with things, especially if you have your kid with you.

MSK
03-02-2013, 09:32 PM
But you believed other stories that were written in the same manner about an ex player who played for Hibs. :confused:

If they got my order wrong i would simply go back in and explain they have made a mistake and could they give me what i ordered and i would be nice and polite about it, not go storming in like a bull and making a fool of myself.

We have all got in to taxis before and we know how much pish the drivers can talk, but we don't start giving them abuse for it, someone has made a mistake here with an order from the drive through simple as that, no need for a childish rant from LG, and you are calling the folk who work in McDonalds thickos, i wonder what they think of LG after the last couple of weeks he has had.

Now, yes of course its a non story, but no need for the remarks about the folk who work in McDs, a mistake happened, s*** happens eh, but there is a right and wrong way to deal with things, especially if you have your kid with you.How do you know he had his kid with him ? ..if as suggested its a non story ..

silverhibee
03-02-2013, 09:51 PM
How do you know he had his kid with him ? ..if as suggested its a non story ..

Its a non story as it should never had made it in to the papers, since it has, and it has mentioned he had his 1 year old with him. :aok:

MSK
03-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Its a non story as it should never had made it in to the papers, since it has, and it has mentioned he had his 1 year old with him. :aok:He didnae ..:aok:

silverhibee
03-02-2013, 10:33 PM
He didnae ..:aok:

I take it you have heard otherwise i assume. :aok:

The_Todd
03-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Grumpy customer in fast food restaurant shocker. Where would we be without the Daily Record to report these hard hitting stories?

Jamesie
04-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Not had a read of all of the most recent pages on this thread but is the bigger concern not that a professional sportsman is eating a Big Mac?!

TrickyNicky
04-02-2013, 06:45 AM
The :giruy: Burger.

Nae gherkin
Nae bother

legends of 73
04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
We have all got in to taxis before and we know how much pish the drivers can talk, but we don't start giving them abuse for

You should hear some of the pish punters talk to us. speakers off from me and listen to my music can't be arsed listening to pissed folk and trying to strike up a conversation with some random I'll never see again

Northernhibee
04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
You should hear some of the pish punters talk to us. speakers off from me and listen to my music can't be arsed listening to pissed folk and trying to strike up a conversation with some random I'll never see again

Worked in McDonalds for a bit myself to pay for my Uni education and it's a pretty miserable job. The staff in there certainly aren't "thick", mostly students. Found they were another company who thought the best way of making profit was to cut back the amount of staff hours being used as much as possible. You end up so overworked that making mistakes is inevitable.

Add to that customers thinking that "fast" food means "instant" food, incredibly rude customers who look down their noses at you, getting constant abuse off of drunks and horrific working hours.

Happy never to do that job again.

Deek01
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
I work in Tesco and was speaking yesterday to our store security man. All Tesco security staff being supplied by the same company, he told me how he heard about the whole Griffiths shoplifiting story so he had asked the security boy of the store involved. He told me that the security boy that dealt with sparky was actually a hibby and Griffiths was one of his favourite players but had to do his job as Griffiths had been shoplifiting...

Just passing on what i've been told.

Saorsa
04-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Not had a read of all of the most recent pages on this thread but is the bigger concern not that a professional sportsman is eating a Big Mac?!yep, outrageous.

J-C
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Now, yes of course its a non story, but no need for the remarks about the folk who work in McDs, a mistake happened, s*** happens eh, but there is a right and wrong way to deal with things, especially if you have your kid with you.

Jeezo Silver let it go will you :confused:

Taxi drivers will never go out their way to start talking to punters unless they start the conversation, next time you get a taxi, just sit there, say nowt and get the journey out the way, as legends73 said, it's the blethering drunking pish we have to listen to at 1 am.

Yes i know a few students do work in McD and I apologise to any of the more intelligent workers from that establishment, it was said in a bit of jest.

Peevemor
04-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Taxi drivers will never go out their way to start talking to punters unless they start the conversation, next time you get a taxi, just sit there, say nowt and get the journey out the way, as legends73 said, it's the blethering drunking pish we have to listen to at 1 am.

Yes i know a few students do work in McD and I apologise to any of the more intelligent workers from that establishment, it was said in a bit of jest.

That's not true.

s.a.m
04-02-2013, 11:02 AM
That's not true.

:agree: If only.......

Beefster
04-02-2013, 11:18 AM

I'll have you know that my blethering drunken chat is very high-brow and stimulating.

matty_f
04-02-2013, 11:28 AM
I'll have you know that my blethering drunken chat is very high-brow and stimulating.

"Been busy the night pal?" :agree:

J-C
04-02-2013, 11:53 AM

:greengrin:greengrin:na na:

J-C
04-02-2013, 11:57 AM

Aye, "what time did you start" "what time do you finish" "been doing this a while now" very stimulating :greengrin

TBH as a cabbie you wait until the punter starts talking, not all want a blether, some do, some don't, I generally only ask where they're going, then wit to see if they want a blether.

The_Todd
04-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Taxi drivers will never go out their way to start talking to punters.

In your taxi maybe, otherwise that couldn't be further from the truth in all the taxis I've been in.

clerriehibs
04-02-2013, 12:15 PM

You can see the scenario now, Griffiths drives up orders his food, when he gets said food, he notices the order is wrong. Goes into establishment ask why his order is wrong, the thicko's that work there look at him with dumybstuck awe, he tells them that ordering a Big Mac without Gherkin isn't f***ing rocket scienceand how could you get it wrong etc etc.

"Thick as" or not, they're almost always nice kids, working on minimum wage, which makes them better than those who shop there on the cheap and moan their baps off when a mistake is made.

Beefster
04-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Aha, a fellow intellectual!

silverhibee
04-02-2013, 01:05 PM

My type of cab driver. :greengrin

cocopops1875
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
To be fair, McDonalds grub is pig swill, with or without the gherkins. Someone should send Griffiths an audio book of Fast Food Nation.

Watching that movie just made me hungry :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
04-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Firmly in the "gherkin is the only decent part of a Big Mac" camp, although I do like skinny fries.

s.a.m
04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Evening News‏@edinburghpaperLeigh Griffiths has been arrested and charged under the Communications Act over an incident on January 10

HibeeN
04-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Evening News‏@edinburghpaperLeigh Griffiths has been arrested and charged under the Communications Act over an incident on January 10

That must be regarding the twitter thing?

s.a.m
04-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Bailed to appear at a later date

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-21328997

#FromTheCapital
04-02-2013, 03:50 PM
I thought the guy wasn't that bothered by it and wasn't going to do anything about it? Suppose that might not matter though

J-C
04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
I thought the guy wasn't that bothered by it and wasn't going to do anything about it? Suppose that might not matter though
Probably out of his hands now and being taken up by the police and procurator fiscal.

Hibbyradge
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Craig Thomson was fined £4000 for showing photographs of his boaby to children.

Therefore, I expect nothing less than the maximum sentence of 6 months imprisonment to be handed down to Leigh.

Hanging's too good for him.

Barney McGrew
04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
I assume those who have been making the threatening tweets to him and his family recently have also been charged?

Just Alf
04-02-2013, 04:24 PM
I assume those who have been making the threatening tweets to him and his family recently have also been charged?

This.... If any of what I've heard is close then it's a complete disgrace

killie-hibby
04-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Political correctness has gone too far, if someone being abused verbally or via tweets, requests the perpretator to return to his own country and subsequently charged for a racist attack.

Barney McGrew
04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Political correctness has gone too far, if someone being abused verbally or via tweets, requests the perpretator to return to his own country and subsequently charged for a racist attack.

What Leigh tweeted was stupid, and regardless of the provocation it was out of order. He has to carry the can for that, it's nothing to do with political correctness.

It would however be completely unfair if those who have tweeted him equally (if not worse) abuse get away scot free because they don't happen to be a professional footballer.

Keith_M
04-02-2013, 04:57 PM
So, to paraphrase, you're no longer allowed to engage in such innocent pastimes as giving racial abuse on Twitter, shoplifting and verbally abusing staff at McDonalds.

It's PC gone made, it really is

:bitchy:

Beefster
04-02-2013, 05:01 PM
So, to paraphrase, you're no longer allowed to engage in such innocent pastimes as giving racial abuse on Twitter, shoplifting and verbally abusing staff at McDonalds.

Next they'll be telling us slapping the missus and chucking dog ***** at the local muslims is 'unacceptable'.

Hermit Crab
04-02-2013, 05:04 PM
yep, outrageous.

Barry Lavety was no stranger to the mcy d's at Crewe toll after a home game.

Keith_M
04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Next they'll be telling us slapping the missus and chucking dog ***** at the local muslims is 'unacceptable'.

I've personally been guilty of beating up some dog **** and throwing the Wife at some Muslims but that was before I gave up drinking the Sambuca.

killie-hibby
04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
What Leigh tweeted was stupid, and regardless of the provocation it was out of order. He has to carry the can for that, it's nothing to do with political correctness.

It would however be completely unfair if those who have tweeted him equally (if not worse) abuse get away scot free because they don't happen to be a professional footballer.

Yes, his tweet was stupid and person(s) who have abused him should be similarly dealt with. At most a caution or warning would be appropriate.

Paisley Hibby
04-02-2013, 05:40 PM

I don't condone what LG did in any way. However, I'm sure the police and courts have far more important things to deal with than this. If the authorities thought they had to do something then surely a wee word from PC Murdoch would have been enough?

sesoim
04-02-2013, 05:53 PM

The other things you mention are irrelevant to this story.

Unless Griffiths referred to the guys race, he wasn't being racist. If what he did was considerd racist, then people should also get charged for saying things bout Americans, the French and so on. You can't have different rules for different people.

Unless, of course, you are a PC hypocrite

Northernhibee
04-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Think you'll find it was Suggs that tipped the police off about Sparky's wrongdoings.

It's Madness gone politically correct.

Booked4Being-Ugly
04-02-2013, 06:32 PM
I've personally been guilty of beating up some dog **** and throwing the Wife at some Muslims but that was before I gave up drinking the Sambuca.Sounds like a good laugh I'm away out to buy a bottle.

NOLA
04-02-2013, 06:53 PM

its taken them this long to arrest and charge him :bitchy: just as well it wasnt a serious crime then :rolleyes:

silverhibee
04-02-2013, 06:58 PM

If they are not football players then i pretty much doubt it. :agree:

jdships
04-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Over the past few months in the 'Scotsman ' newspaper there have been many articles re 'Independence'
Regularly in the 'Comments' are posted statements like '....if you don't like it in Scotland clear off back to England '
Serious question . Dose that constitute 'Racism ' ?
If so why is it allowed to continue ?
:rolleyes:

Www1875hfc
04-02-2013, 07:20 PM
I don't condone what Leigh Griffiths done,but surely they have to take into account the abuse he took prior to the comment?

Zak Iqbal should also be held accountable for his actions also.

Green Fish
04-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Just because he has been charged means little. The procurator fiscal has to decide if they want to proceed with a case or not depending on whether there is sufficient CREDIBLE evidence and whether it is in the interests of the public to do so.

I have limited knowledge on each case but from what I do know a good lawyer will see him right and chances of convictions are slim - the only stumbling point I can see is that even though I don't think LG meant to be overtly racist the definition states that a racist incident is so if any other person perceives it to be so.

The police and PF have far more pressing issues to be dealing with.

green day
04-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Since he 'allegedly in all 3 cases' sent racist tweets, choried stuff from tescos, and abused MacDonalds staff, he has barely had a sniff of goal.

Just saying, maybe he has some disorder - miss a goal on saturday, go on the chorie on sunday !!

NOLA
04-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Over the past few months in the 'Scotsman ' newspaper there have been many articles re 'Independence'
Regularly in the 'Comments' are posted statements like '....if you don't like it in Scotland clear off back to England '
Serious question . Dose that constitute 'Racism ' ?
If so why is it allowed to continue ?
:rolleyes:

more likely seen as xenophobia not racism, gets a bit confusing

#FromTheCapital
04-02-2013, 07:29 PM
I don't condone what Leigh Griffiths done,but surely they have to take into account the abuse he took prior to the comment?

Zak Iqbal should also be held accountable for his actions also.

This would maybe cause a problem because there are hundreds of trolls who abuse griffiths all the time. Why should this one guy get punished just because griffiths told him to **** off back to his own country? Not sticking up for Iqbal by the way because he's not blameless either

Green Fish
04-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Would back any of our players to the hilt, LG just a boy but ffs stop being a f*nny and just pick the gherkins oot yersel !!

Jonnyboy
04-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Not had a read of all of the most recent pages on this thread but is the bigger concern not that a professional sportsman is eating a Big Mac?!

Hmm. On my way south one Sunday afternoon and stopped at Berwick for a coffee. Who do I see standing leaning against his motor in the McDonald's car park? A certain Mr David Murphy with a big mac entrenched in his gob :greengrin I was involved in Hibs TV at that time and David knew me. I just winked at him and vowed not to mention the burger to Mowbray :greengrin

PeeKay
04-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many people singing the Famine Song have been charged with racism? Same sentiments, different race, but because the Irish are white does that make it OK under Scots law?

Mon Dieu4
04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Hmm. On my way south one Sunday afternoon and stopped at Berwick for a coffee. Who do I see standing leaning against his motor in the McDonald's car park? A certain Mr David Murphy with a big mac entrenched in his gob :greengrin I was involved in Hibs TV at that time and David knew me. I just winked at him and vowed not to mention the burger to Mowbray :greengrin

Super Dave was so classy he could make munching a big mac like an M&S advert!!

Jonnyboy
04-02-2013, 07:46 PM

:greengrin

Spike Mandela
04-02-2013, 07:48 PM
He will get a slap on the wrist and a lesson will be learned, hopefully.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Ridiculous that this has been taken to court.

It was a heated argument between two people over the internet. By all accounts both of them said some things that day which were a bit out of order and Griffiths almost immediately retracted his comment and apologised for it.

That apology was accepted by the other guy and that should have been the end of the matter. They've both moved on.

It seems that other people, probably those with an ulterior motive, have refused to let things lie and have stuck their noses in and that's why it's ended up with Griffiths being charged.

What a waste of time.

hibsbollah
04-02-2013, 07:53 PM

A BigMac has all the main food groups in it. You could probably call it a health food.

Iggy Pope
04-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Much as I adore the man he never had trouble filling his kit did he?

HH81
04-02-2013, 08:16 PM

I have sat in burger king with two players now at liverpool and man u just after they had played a premiership game. They were going for England duty too :-)

I reckon quite few get stuck into fast food.

HibeeN
04-02-2013, 08:31 PM

This is so true :agree:

hibsbollah
04-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Super Dave was so classy he could ask for a BigMac in Burger King and the girl would give it to him :agree:

TrickyNicky
04-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Super Dave was so classy he could ask for a BigMac in Burger King and the girl would give it to him :agree:

Super Dave was so classy he took his black and white film to Boots and got colour prints back !

Mon Dieu4
04-02-2013, 08:53 PM
This is so true :agree:

Super Dave was so classy that although Jesus can walk on water, Dave can swim through land!!!

hibsbollah
04-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Super Dave didnt model clothes, clothes modeled HIM :agree:

clerriehibs
04-02-2013, 09:11 PM
This would maybe cause a problem because there are hundreds of trolls who abuse griffiths all the time. Why should this one guy get punished just because griffiths told him to **** off back to his own country? Not sticking up for Iqbal by the way because he's not blameless either

doesn't matter what anyone ele is or isn't up to, if that twat iqbal has committed a crime, and the police chase him for it, then he deserves all he gets.

J-C
04-02-2013, 09:24 PM
I have sat in burger king with two players now at liverpool and man u just after they had played a premiership game. They were going for England duty too :-)

I reckon quite few get stuck into fast food.

The amount of calories these guys burn during a game is insane, something like a big mac would instantly be absorbed into their bodies without even looking at adding fat etc.

silverhibee
04-02-2013, 09:42 PM
The amount of calories these guys burn during a game is insane, something like a big mac would instantly be absorbed into their bodies without even looking at adding fat etc.

Most clubs down South have Domino pizzas delivered to the ground after a game for the players to eat.

Calderwood had pizzas delivered for the players in his first game in charge, sure there was a thread about it on here.

matty_f
04-02-2013, 09:52 PM
There was a bit on talk sport's news bulletin today saying that the powers that be are looking into not prosecuting tweets if they are quickly deleted having been sent 'in the heat of the moment.', which i think is a fairly sensible approach.

J-C
04-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Most clubs down South have Domino pizzas delivered to the ground after a game for the players to eat.

Calderwood had pizzas delivered for the players in his first game in charge, sure there was a thread about it on here.

Danderhall Hibs
04-02-2013, 09:59 PM
There was a bit on talk sport's news bulletin today saying that the powers that be are looking into not prosecuting tweets if they are quickly deleted having been sent 'in the heat of the moment.', which i think is a fairly sensible approach.

So you could say whatever you like so long as you delete it quickly? How longs the period of grace?

silverhibee
04-02-2013, 10:02 PM

Agree Matty, but it is to late for Leigh as he has now been charged with the offence.

3pm
04-02-2013, 10:03 PM

Was pizzagate not after Ayr scudded us in the Scottish?!

matty_f
04-02-2013, 11:08 PM
So you could say whatever you like so long as you delete it quickly? How longs the period of grace?

Dunno, would imagine there is more to it than the simplistic summary I posted. :agree:

LeighLoyal
04-02-2013, 11:48 PM
The only victim here is Griffiths, and not the dick who was trolling him. We've gone too far with this stuff, free speech has to have some currency even if it is deemed offensive especially on social media. If he'd scrawled it over the guy's front door it should be prosecutable, or even said it to his face without provocation, but a 'tweet'. Give me a break.

TowerHibs
04-02-2013, 11:52 PM
The only victim here is Griffiths, and not the dick who was trolling him. We've gone too far with this stuff, free speech has to have some currency even if it is deemed offensive especially on social media. If he'd scrawled it over the guy's front door it should be prosecutable, or even said it to his face without provocation, but a 'tweet'. Give me a break.
Reading this and your posts on the Gazza thread just makes me think your a biased clown

Only victim is griffiths????????

legends of 73
04-02-2013, 11:57 PM
My type of cab driver. :greengrin

I thank you and when you get in my cab you'll get a selection of the jam,madness,the beat,the specials etc etc none of your manufactured pish:greengrin:greengrin

greenginger
05-02-2013, 12:00 AM

There's a whole new " industry " out there with the racial abuse legislation. New work for lawyers, all sorts of committees to sit on and get handsome rewards, studies to carry out by people who are on message paid for by government grants, and all the rest.

Tweet studiers will be the new ambulance chasers and the population will be brain-washed into being offended by anything the politicians and academics tell them is offensive.

The Ministry of Truth is in control.

LeighLoyal
05-02-2013, 12:10 AM
There's a whole new " industry " out there with the racial abuse legislation. New work for lawyers, all sorts of committees to sit on and get handsome rewards, studies to carry out by people who are on message paid for by government grants, and all the rest.

Tweet studiers will be the new ambulance chasers and the population will be brain-washed into being offended by anything the politicians and academics tell them is offensive.

Too right, mate. And self hating idiots will applaud on the sidelines while Griffiths is carted off over nothing of real matter. It's getting more like Ceausescu's Romania here everyday, the irony of that! :rolleyes:

givescotlandfreedom
05-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Was pizzagate not after Ayr scudded us in the Scottish?!

They did go there after the Ayr defeat. I thought it spoke volumes at the time.

Beefster
05-02-2013, 05:57 AM
Too right, mate. And self hating idiots will applaud on the sidelines while Griffiths is carted off over nothing of real matter. It's getting more like Ceausescu's Romania here everyday, the irony of that! :rolleyes:

How long did you live in Romania for? Quite ironic given your views on Romanians coming over here.

marinello59
05-02-2013, 06:12 AM

Geez. I do have sympathy with Griffiths here and think prosecution is pointless. But your pathetic attempt to portray the person who made a comment most people would agree was racist as the only victim says much more about your own prejudices than the law.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Absolutely spot on! Britain is and always will be a nanny state, you will be getting done for farting in the street in the near future with the director of the fart police getting £100k a year plus a golden handshake all paid for by us mugs

Beefster
05-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Absolutely spot on! Britain is and always will be a nanny state, you will be getting done for farting in the street in the near future with the director of the fart police getting £100k a year plus a golden handshake all paid for by us mugs

That's just a bit silly now, isn't it?

NOLA
05-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Zak iqbals no victim in this, not when he made a premeditated attempt to wind sparky up and he hit the jackpot, leigh was stupid to react and say what he did. He should remember he's a pro football player now and not just a lad who plays football

truehibernian
05-02-2013, 08:43 AM

I can't think of any time I've disagreed with any of your posts GG, however on this unique occasion have to say I don't agree with your point here.

When I grew up, and indeed when I was Leigh's age, I was a right hot headed wee Gareth Hunt - if Twitter and Facebook had been around then there is no doubt me and my mates would have got ourselves into hot water, more so with our folks than the police have to say - it would have been a life not worth living in my house if my mum had found out things I'd said or written.

The older I get though, and now a dad, life sedates you in a way and you start to really take on board what parents and family taught you when you grew up - simple courtesy and respect is very very undervalued today, as it was no doubt back then when I was a wee idiot on the odd occasion. The difference nowadays is that it's the written word that offends, as it's there for all to see - it's not like when you'd be in a playground or park and it was a verbal spat. Others can see it, read it, take offence to it.

I said at the time, both lads were foolish, and both (to the letter of the law) had committed a criminal offence - society has deemed that racist crime or hate crime is a level above let's say a minor breach of the peace - I'd agree with that as I quite like living in Edinburgh, where to be brutally honest, everyone kind of gets on without any real racial aggravation - my school was multi-ethnic and it didn't matter if you were pink with blue spots - (although a trip to the school nurse would be recommended if you were :greengrin), as long as you liked football, girls, The Smiths and Benneton sweatshirts, Lacoste polos and Reebok Royale's :greengrin We all just got on and I'd never ever contemplate someone being different or 'lower' than me because of skin colour etc - my folks saw to that too, and taught basic decency and respect.

You look at Twitter these days and it seems folk think they have carte blanche to abuse and post derogatory remarks to either each other or those they don't know from Adam. There has to be some sort of challenge to this surely - I'm not saying for one minute that criminalising someone is the right way all the time, but respect for each other has to be the main goal for us does it not ?

Leigh puts up with unbelievable abuse on Twitter - but he and the club should have dealt with it more professionally, by simply coming off it or indeed making things more private (as some players have now done). A player of his temperament is always going to be goaded. But he himself needs to carry himself better and show more respect. He's in the public eye and certain people will poke away at him to get a reaction - and it's worked.

I've read some of my son's mates pages on social media sites and it makes you cough your coffee over the screen. Clearly folk will argue that kids are only writing what we no doubt said at that age - difference being the world has turned, laws have changed, cultures have been living together longer and are now well integrated, and society as a whole is a completely different landscape. What Leigh wrote, albeit in heat of the moment, was straight out of an Alf Garnett script which thankfully we've moved away from.

BarneyK
05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
I can't think of any time I've disagreed with any of your posts GG, however on this unique occasion have to say I don't agree with your point here.

When I grew up, and indeed when I was Leigh's age, I was a right hot headed wee Gareth Hunt - if Twitter and Facebook had been around then there is no doubt me and my mates would have got ourselves into hot water, more so with our folks than the police have to say - it would have been a life not worth living in my house if my mum had found out things I'd said or written.

The older I get though, and now a dad, life sedates you in a way and you start to really take on board what parents and family taught you when you grew up - simple courtesy and respect is very very undervalued today, as it was no doubt back then when I was a wee idiot on the odd occasion. The difference nowadays is that it's the written word that offends, as it's there for all to see - it's not like when you'd be in a playground or park and it was a verbal spat. Others can see it, read it, take offence to it.

I said at the time, both lads were foolish, and both (to the letter of the law) had committed a criminal offence - society has deemed that racist crime or hate crime is a level above let's say a minor breach of the peace - I'd agree with that as I quite like living in Edinburgh, where to be brutally honest, everyone kind of gets on without any real racial aggravation - my school was multi-ethnic and it didn't matter if you were pink with blue spots - (although a trip to the school nurse would be recommended if you were :greengrin), as long as you liked football, girls, The Smiths and Benneton sweatshirts, Lacoste polos and Reebok Royale's :greengrin We all just got on and I'd never ever contemplate someone being different or 'lower' than me because of skin colour etc - my folks saw to that too, and taught basic decency and respect.

You look at Twitter these days and it seems folk think they have carte blanche to abuse and post derogatory remarks to either each other or those they don't know from Adam. There has to be some sort of challenge to this surely - I'm not saying for one minute that criminalising someone is the right way all the time, but respect for each other has to be the main goal for us does it not ?

Leigh puts up with unbelievable abuse on Twitter - but he and the club should have dealt with it more professionally, by simply coming off it or indeed making things more private (as some players have now done). A player of his temperament is always going to be goaded. But he himself needs to carry himself better and show more respect. He's in the public eye and certain people will poke away at him to get a reaction - and it's worked.

I've read some of my son's mates pages on social media sites and it makes you cough your coffee over the screen. Clearly folk will argue that kids are only writing what we no doubt said at that age - difference being the world has turned, laws have changed, cultures have been living together longer and are now well integrated, and society as a whole is a completely different landscape. What Leigh wrote, albeit in heat of the moment, was straight out of an Alf Garnett script which thankfully we've moved away from.

Does it not bother you that your son could be imprisoned for ill-thought out, heat of the moment tweets? There's that laddie in Alva who is facing a couple of months in Polmont for running a Facebook page ripping the pash out of his teachers. I'm not sure how that makes us better as a society, imprisoning kids for being kids on social media.

truehibernian
05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Does it not bother you that your son could be imprisoned for ill-thought out, heat of the moment tweets? There's that laddie in Alva who is facing a couple of months in Polmont for running a Facebook page ripping the pash out of his teachers. I'm not sure how that makes us better as a society, imprisoning kids for being kids on social media.

As a law man Barney I'd need to look at the case notes - wasn't aware of that example in Alva mate, but again, it's dependant on the content surely ?

I absolutely agree with you, we are not really progressing if we are criminalising kids etc for things that we could be educating them on - but it's a bug bear of mine that we are now a society that's quick to point the finger of blame at others for our own poor decision making, rather than take responsibility for our actions and take one on the chin. Boils down to parenting I suppose. I've made a point in looking out for what he does online - I'm sure some parents are scared stiff of social media as they are ignorant of what goes on online and 'technophobes' etc - so they choose to ignore it.

Probably getting away from the point and it's no doubt a Holy Ground type example, but I had a very amusing conversation with a guy last year, Hearts fan, which may say it all :greengrin His came into a party we were at and started waxing lyrical about how he planned to emigrate to Australia, his forms were done, and he looked forward to a new life in Oz - planned to go there, with his trade skills (painter/decorator), and settle. He then proceeds to get lilian gished, and the subject turns to Edinburgh, the building trade and the fact that his recently qualified brother (builder) couldn't get a job because of all the 'Polish folk stealing the jobs' ! Started to chat to him about it and he got very heated and animated - apparently his brother wouldn't do a building job for less than £20 an hour, and because Polish workers were prepared to work for less, his brother was unemployed still and claiming benefit - I pointed out that his brother should maybe lower his expectations and settle for what was being paid, get him into the job market, builds the CV and gets him active and working - this guy spouts that he wouldn't lower himself to that, why should his brother do likewise, and 'these Poles are stealing our jobs' - then totally missing the point (which I made soon after), that he was emigrating to do exactly that - take an employed position that could be done by an Australian, no doubt for less if a job arose.

Went round in circles so we did until my little hot head appeared and he left the party :greengrin Plus I quite like the fact there are some incredibly good looking Polish females now in our wonderful city so they are more than welcome :agree:

BarneyK
05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
As a law man Barney I'd need to look at the case notes - wasn't aware of that example in Alva mate, but again, it's dependant on the content surely ?

I absolutely agree with you, we are not really progressing if we are criminalising kids etc for things that we could be educating them on - but it's a bug bear of mine that we are now a society that's quick to point the finger of blame at others for our own poor decision making, rather than take responsibility for our actions and take one on the chin. Boils down to parenting I suppose. I've made a point in looking out for what he does online - I'm sure some parents are scared stiff of social media as they are ignorant of what goes on online and 'technophobes' etc - so they choose to ignore it.

Probably getting away from the point and it's no doubt a Holy Ground type example, but I had a very amusing conversation with a guy last year, Hearts fan, which may say it all :greengrin His came into a party we were at and started waxing lyrical about how he planned to emigrate to Australia, his forms were done, and he looked forward to a new life in Oz - planned to go there, with his trade skills (painter/decorator), and settle. He then proceeds to get lilian gished, and the subject turns to Edinburgh, the building trade and the fact that his recently qualified brother (builder) couldn't get a job because of all the 'Polish folk stealing the jobs' ! Started to chat to him about it and he got very heated and animated - apparently his brother wouldn't do a building job for less than £20 an hour, and because Polish workers were prepared to work for less, his brother was unemployed still and claiming benefit - I pointed out that his brother should maybe lower his expectations and settle for what was being paid, get him into the job market, builds the CV and gets him active and working - this guy spouts that he wouldn't lower himself to that, why should his brother do likewise, and 'these Poles are stealing our jobs' - then totally missing the point (which I made soon after), that he was emigrating to do exactly that - take an employed position that could be done by an Australian, no doubt for less if a job arose.

Went round in circles so we did until my little hot head appeared and he left the party :greengrin Plus I quite like the fact there are some incredibly good looking Polish females now in our wonderful city so they are more than welcome :agree:

That's all absolutely fair enough, I think the truth as always lies somewhere in the middle. What really gets my goat is the constant spotlight on Leigh at the moment. just as it was before with Deeks. I dare say I could nip onto Twitter and within 10 seconds find a number of offensive Tweets. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. The only thing is, nowt will ever get done about these other ones as they folk posting are not in the public spotlight. It's frustrating, to be sure. And the thing is, Leigh is not in any way blameless in any of it, but I do think it is once again getting blown out of all proportions.

As for the yam in double standards shocker, well... :faf:

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
That's just a bit silly now, isn't it?

Maybe so but did you think about this episode with Twitter say 5/6 years ago before it was invented? did you really think that someone could get done for basically sending a text?

:hmmm:

silverhibee
05-02-2013, 11:22 AM
I thank you and when you get in my cab you'll get a selection of the jam,madness,the beat,the specials etc etc none of your manufactured pish:greengrin:greengrin

Yep, defo my type of cab driver, sorry JC1. :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZ8428GSrI :aok:

truehibernian
05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Yep, defo my type of cab driver, sorry JC1. :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZ8428GSrI :aok:

Wee bit Secret Affair, Time for Action would be nice too SH - as I munch a walnut whip the size of Ben Nevis in the back (they are getting smaller, it's not me getting bigger :greengrin) - you can have a Fry's Five Centre I've promised ya :agree:

Beefster
05-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Maybe so but did you think about this episode with Twitter say 5/6 years ago before it was invented? did you really think that someone could get done for basically sending a text?

:hmmm:

I knew someone could get done for saying something racist and I knew that sending an abusive email or text was probably worse than doing it face to face seeing as the evidence doesn't fade to silence in a fraction of a second.

clerriehibs
05-02-2013, 11:46 AM
That's all absolutely fair enough, I think the truth as always lies somewhere in the middle. What really gets my goat is the constant spotlight on Leigh at the moment. just as it was before with Deeks. I dare say I could nip onto Twitter and within 10 seconds find a number of offensive Tweets. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. The only thing is, nowt will ever get done about these other ones as they folk posting are not in the public spotlight. It's frustrating, to be sure. And the thing is, Leigh is not in any way blameless in any of it, but I do think it is once again getting blown out of all proportions.

As for the yam in double standards shocker, well... :faf:

You're right, there's far more and worse than sparky's on twitter etc. I don't think his was racist or hate crime, by any real measure, but if the police think it has to be pursued, that's their prerogative. However, the instigator MUST also have his day in court, regardless of how less than frightening posts were, as the whole thing has to be seen in context.

greenginger
05-02-2013, 07:18 PM

My point was the criminalisation of communications has created a huge new trough for certain groups to get their snouts into. I'm sure at the front of the queue we will see the Legalese ( not suggesting Truehibernian ) , Academics , former MP s , Councillors and assorted political party hacks, in fact mostly people who would find it hard to hold down a job in the real world.
As for Lee's tweet; telling someone who has been insulting him to get back to his own country being grossly insulting to the extent it constituted a criminal offence. :confused:

All of us who have sung " Go home ya Huns, go home " to a certain group of visiting support should be getting ready for a early morning knock on their door. :greengrin

jabis
05-02-2013, 07:26 PM
told a hearts fan to " stick his head up his arse(botty)"

got done for "attempted murder "

truehibernian
05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
My point was the criminalisation of communications has created a huge new trough for certain groups to get their snouts into. I'm sure at the front of the queue we will see the Legalese ( not suggesting Truehibernian ) , Academics , former MP s , Councillors and assorted political party hacks, in fact mostly people who would find it hard to hold down a job in the real world.
As for Lee's tweet; telling someone who has been insulting him to get back to his own country being grossly insulting to the extent it constituted a criminal offence. :confused:

All of us who have sung " Go home ya Huns, go home " to a certain group of visiting support should be getting ready for a early morning knock on their door. :greengrin

Fair play, and it's a given in life that various livelihoods will indeed profit from this new found 'morality' that exists today - I agree with you there. For every argument there is a counter argument. I said right at the beginning when the story broke, my legal advice to Leigh would have been to make a counter allegation of abusive behaviour (if a complaint were received) - then to provide no comment :greengrin However, Leigh's language does hark back to the horrible 'Mind Your Language' days GG which we've all moved on from I would hope - and in this case it may not necessarily be the lad who Leigh made the comment to making the complaint. It can now be anyone who feels offence has been caused - in other words anyone reading it. Players have to be very very careful because as we've seen with Levison etc, there are snakes in the grass waiting to bite you.

I've been lucky enough to watch players from all over the world play in a Hibs strip - not once has it ever entered my head to abuse them for where they come from or their colour. It's usually a misplaced pass that gets my disapproval.

But times change, laws change and attitudes change - many many of the laws I don't agree with. But I do think Leigh needs to grow up big time and realise he's a target for people to try and goad and poke fun of - because they know he has the temperament which will mean a reaction.​And for me I'd be telling him to come off Twitter for good. Let his boots do the talking on a match day.

Sir David Gray
05-02-2013, 07:56 PM
There's something that really bothers me with issues like this, it's not really been brought on this thread but I'm going to mention it anyway as I'm sure others must be thinking the same.

I don't believe for one second that if Griffiths had sent that tweet to someone who was from a country such as France, Spain or Italy that he would currently be facing a charge for racist behaviour.

Now it's going to be just as hurtful to someone from those countries to have that said against them as it would have been for the guy who he actually said it to but the authorities don't seem to be too bothered unless it's against people of certain ethnic origins.

There was a similar point made on TV the other night on some programme, I think it may have been Room 101 but I can't quite remember. Basically the point of it was that someone was on there talking about how they hated people who talk about Italian food and put on an Italian accent in the process. They then said that you wouldn't dare do the same thing when referring to Chinese food, alluding to the fact that it would not be deemed to be politically correct.

And I think that's true when you think about it. I think it would be frowned upon if someone went around speaking in a Chinese accent or even an Indian accent but somehow it's acceptable, funny even, to speak in an Italian or French accent.

This is not directly a defence of Leigh Griffiths, as I have said on more than one occasion he was wrong to say what he said although I do think there were other factors that lead to the incident occurring which the media has chosen not to focus on. Griffiths himself has admitted he was wrong and he almost immediately deleted his comment.

However I don't think there should be double standards. If it's deemed a criminal offence to tell one person to "go back to your own country" then it should be deemed a criminal offence to tell any person that. I don't think that is the case at the moment and I think that's wrong.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2013, 08:11 PM
There's something that really bothers me with issues like this, it's not really been brought on this thread but I'm going to mention it anyway as I'm sure others must be thinking the same.

I don't believe for one second that if Griffiths had sent that tweet to someone who was from a country such as France, Spain or Italy that he would currently be facing a charge for racist behaviour.

Now it's going to be just as hurtful to someone from those countries to have that said against them as it would have been for the guy who he actually said it to but the authorities don't seem to be too bothered unless it's against people of certain ethnic origins.

There was a similar point made on TV the other night on some programme, I think it may have been Room 101 but I can't quite remember. Basically the point of it was that someone was on there talking about how they hated people who talk about Italian food and put on an Italian accent in the process. They then said that you wouldn't dare do the same thing when referring to Chinese food, alluding to the fact that it would not be deemed to be politically correct.

And I think that's true when you think about it. I think it would be frowned upon if someone went around speaking in a Chinese accent or even an Indian accent but somehow it's acceptable, funny even, to speak in an Italian or French accent.

This is not directly a defence of Leigh Griffiths, as I have said on more than one occasion he was wrong to say what he said although I do think there were other factors that lead to the incident occurring which the media has chosen not to focus on. Griffiths himself has admitted he was wrong and he almost immediately deleted his comment.

However I don't think there should be double standards. If it's deemed a criminal offence to tell one person to "go back to your own country" then it should be deemed a criminal offence to tell any person that. I don't think that is the case at the moment and I think that's wrong.

The guy who Leigh tweeted was from Scotland.

Nakedmanoncrack
05-02-2013, 08:37 PM

A point completely missed by the previous poster.

I'm_cabbaged
06-02-2013, 05:13 AM

Awfy glad he never tweeted in a West Lothian twang, he would've been right in the shiete. Know what a mean, no?

Hibrandenburg
06-02-2013, 05:50 AM
This is so ****ing Scottish. "How dare you put something that's grown in the ground on my food."

Beefster
06-02-2013, 05:58 AM

I could have put money on FalkirkHibee completely misrepresenting the facts of what Griffiths did and trying to twist it to suit his own agenda. It's not the first time.

lord bunberry
06-02-2013, 06:21 AM

That's nothing I sing to ma punters

J-C
06-02-2013, 08:35 AM

Now at last we have another taxi driver with impeccable music taste. :greengrin

Keith_M
06-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Think you'll find it was Suggs that tipped the police off about Sparky's wrongdoings.

It's Madness gone politically correct.

The problem is it's 'One Step Beyond' what's acceptable nowadays.

You've made me all nostalgic now. I'm away to try to squeeze my generously proportioned body into my 1981 Harrington and listen to some Madness Greatest Hits.