PDA

View Full Version : NHC On the subject of not knowing something

greenteam
26-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Why are Dunfermline called The Pars? I think it stands for Plymouth and Rosyth Supporters (ref Doc Yard etc) If anyone could give me an answer I would be always grateful lol:flag:

greenteam
26-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Ive also heard the story of the team being drunk one day....Ive really no idea lol

Hibercelona
26-01-2013, 10:54 AM
The word "par" is taken from the word "parallel".

Because they've always worn parallel strips, they've always been known as "The Pars". :aok:

Hibercelona
26-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Ive also heard the story of the team being drunk one day....Ive really no idea lol

It was once believed that they used the word "Par" as a short for "paralytic". As their players have been renowned for liking a good bevy. :wink:

The nick name would probably suit our club a lot more mind. :greengrin

greenteam
26-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Thought it would be more to do with the Plymouth conection, but that sounds good to...I dont know one Dunfermline fan who is sure (I grew up there):aok:

lapsedhibee
26-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Why did goalies in the old days wear flat caps, and don't any more?

Was it to do with gas-lit floodlamps? :dunno:

greenteam
26-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Was the same as a baseball cap. and yes it was because of the lighting.
Heres one for you. What was the only European capital in Europe without a big name football team?

fat freddy
26-01-2013, 12:05 PM
i read that it refered to a group of shipbuilders that came up from the plymouth area to work at rosyth...they would go to east end pk. with a banner with p.a.r.s. written on it...the initials stood for 'plymouth argyle rosyth supporters'...dont know if this is the true origin though, maybe just an urban myth?

H18sry
26-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Was the same as a baseball cap. and yes it was because of the lighting.
Heres one for you. What was the only European capital in Europe without a big name football team?

Dublin,Edinburgh,Cardiff or Belfast depends on what you class as a big name football team. :wink:

greenteam
26-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Thats all ive got too mate, its one of the 3 lol.
So come on...what was the only European capital city without a league football team...

CropleyWasGod
26-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Thats all ive got too mate, its one of the 3 lol.
So come on...what was the only European capital city without a league football team...

Andorra la Vella.

greenteam
26-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Ok, Which MAJOR European Nations capital city?

CropleyWasGod
26-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Ok, Which MAJOR European Nations capital city?

Define "major". :greengrin Vaduz, for example, is a major financial centre, but very small in European terms.

greenteam
26-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Ok...central European country?

Behar
26-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Dunfermline FC used to have a social club in the main stand for ST Holders and it was called The "Paragon Club". I worked beside a guy who was a member and I asked him what it meant, but he had no idea, so I looked it up at the time.

Paragon more or less means Excellence or Model.

It may be, that they tried to be a "Model Club" or a "Paragon" for others to look up to and they became known as The Pars.

I could be well off the mark though, as it's just a wild guess. Although having said that, they do have a model Manager in FJK.

greenteam
26-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Ahhhh, yes its still there I think never thought of that...good shout m8 :aok:

iwasthere1972
26-01-2013, 02:51 PM
club's unusual nickname, "The Pars." According to Jim Paterson and Douglas Scott ("Black and White Magic" - 1984)*in the early days when the Football Club was closely connected with the Cricket Club, the footballers were renowned for their performances at the bar and so were called the "Paralytics". However in the early 1900s it is known that Athletic's nickname was the "Dumps" - shortened from Dunfermline - and this is said to have been coined by English sailors visiting East End Park when their ship docked at Rosyth. After the 1914-18 War they were known as the Pars and some believe the parallel black and white stripes to be the reason. Another school of thought involves English workers who came to work at the armaments depot at Crombie and at Rosyth Dockyard; they kept their association with their local team by forming the Plymouth Argyle (Rosyth) Supporters Club and it is said that the Dunfermline nickname comes from the banners in evidence around the ground. Although almost certainly coincidental, there is also a curious resemblance to Dùn Phàrlain, which is the Gaelic name for Dunfermline.

1950's hibbie
26-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Goalies wore the old bunnets a long time before there were lights, it was because of light but it was sunlight. After teams started going to Canada and the USA on tours some goalies started wearing baseball caps, I don't know if they went out of fashion or were not allowed to wear them

greenteam
26-01-2013, 03:16 PM
club's unusual nickname, "The Pars." According to Jim Paterson and Douglas Scott ("Black and White Magic" - 1984)*in the early days when the Football Club was closely connected with the Cricket Club, the footballers were renowned for their performances at the bar and so were called the "Paralytics". However in the early 1900s it is known that Athletic's nickname was the "Dumps" - shortened from Dunfermline - and this is said to have been coined by English sailors visiting East End Park when their ship docked at Rosyth. After the 1914-18 War they were known as the Pars and some believe the parallel black and white stripes to be the reason. Another school of thought involves English workers who came to work at the armaments depot at Crombie and at Rosyth Dockyard; they kept their association with their local team by forming the Plymouth Argyle (Rosyth) Supporters Club and it is said that the Dunfermline nickname comes from the banners in evidence around the ground. Although almost certainly coincidental, there is also a curious resemblance to Dùn Phàrlain, which is the Gaelic name for Dunfermline.

Thanks for that m8...all the best. Really thanks, kinda on the same thoughts, but most of it I didnt know.

Speedy
27-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Define "major". :greengrin Vaduz, for example, is a major financial centre, but very small in European terms.

Luxembourg is similar.

I'm curious to know the answer. Paris might've been the answer for a few years but not now obviously.