PDA

View Full Version : what does the term Hun mean?

Mister P
25-01-2013, 09:31 PM
following on from the success of my last enquiry :greengrin:greengrin

can anyone shed any light?

lEXO
25-01-2013, 09:34 PM
following on from the success of my last enquiry :greengrin:greengrin

can anyone shed any light?

Scabby windae licking,puddle drinking,bigot with a chip on both shoulders and a sense of injustice.
Also lacking in any humility,grace or manners. Thats the polite version

Pretty Boy
25-01-2013, 09:36 PM
If you believe a Glasgow Sheriff from a few year back then its an anti Protestant term based on the fact hun was a derogatory term for Germans during WW2 and Germany was the birthplace of Protestantism.

I don't think many people actually thought of that to be honest though.

Mister P
25-01-2013, 09:38 PM
just found this, can anyone verify it?

7Rangers are called hun from the word 'Hanoverian' - protestant monarchy from Hanover, Germany who came to the British throne in 1714 with King George 1st, which in turn led to the Jacobite rebellion.

LeighLoyal
25-01-2013, 09:43 PM
The Stuarts were the true line, usurped by some fat German. Anyway, I prefer the Spanish judge who when sentencing 'jubilant' Rangers supporters in Barcelona 1972 likened them to a band of rampaging barbarian huns. Greig got the cup inside the stand while the huns rampaged, hence why no pics exist. :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
25-01-2013, 09:45 PM

Yes i can . Its Wrong .Try Googling Smelly Weegie Cheating Bigot Wallopers

Pretty Boy
25-01-2013, 09:53 PM

It's nonsense.

The Huns were historically seen as savage barbarians compared to the Romans. So the derogatory term hun was a jibe at people seen as uncivilised, ignorant etc.

The whole attempt to link it to some kind of anti Protestant stance is a typical attempt by one of the Old Firm to do the 'they are as bad AC us' crap.

hibsbollah
25-01-2013, 09:59 PM
I was listening to a documentary about NIron on radio4 other day, this catholic Belfast teenager was describing being called a 'hun lover' because he had some protestant mates.

Sorry but the word IS sectarian.

ScottB
25-01-2013, 10:07 PM
I was listening to a documentary about NIron on radio4 other day, this catholic Belfast teenager was describing being called a 'hun lover' because he had some protestant mates.

Maybe better put as it became sectarian, but it's origins are not...

hibsbollah
25-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Maybe better put as it became sectarian, but it's origins are not...

I think this puts it best, particularly the 3rd paragraph from the end

http://nilbymouth.org/history/

Pretty Boy
25-01-2013, 10:24 PM

So how does it work when Protestant supporters of other teams call Rangers fans huns?

Can you have a sectarian prejudice against your own faith?

lord bunberry
25-01-2013, 10:25 PM
So how does it work when Protestant supporters of other teams call Rangers fans huns?

Its now just become a general term for the club formerly known as rangers

Pretty Boy
25-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Its now just become a general term for the club formerly known as rangers

Exactly.

I'm sure some people do use it as a sectarian slur but its nowhere near as clear cut as something like 'taig' or 'orange *******'.

PatHead
25-01-2013, 10:29 PM
I think this puts it best, particularly the 3rd paragraph from the end

http://nilbymouth.org/history/

Annoying how they say that we sign sectarian songs. We haven't in years,

CraigHibee
25-01-2013, 10:30 PM
soap dodging zombie knuckle dragger that often engages in sectarian singing

lord bunberry
25-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Exactly.

I'm sure some people do use it as a sectarian slur but its nowhere near as clear cut as something like 'taig' or 'orange *******'.

I would have thought most people wouldn't use it as a sectarian insult these days. Bigots have moved on to more offensive terms

givescotlandfreedom
25-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Annoying how they say that we sign sectarian songs. We haven't in years,

I can't take them seriously if they accuse us of using 'songs, chants and banners on match days to express abuse or support towards the Protestant or catholic faiths'. That's the usual west coast tripe based on our playing in green and are called Hibernian and an example of the ignorance they're supposed to be fighting against and their own prejudices.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I can't take them seriously if they accuse us of using 'songs, chants and banners on match days to express abuse or support towards the Protestant or catholic faiths'. That's the usual west coast tripe based on our playing in green and are called Hibernian and an example of the ignorance they're supposed to be fighting against and their own prejudices.

There was a poll on here a long while ago asking what religion people were. The majority answer was Protestant, an admittedly large minority were Catholic and then a few answered other.

Would seem strange if we were parading about with anti Protestant banners when a small majority of our fans were themselves Protestant.

givescotlandfreedom
25-01-2013, 11:02 PM
There was a poll on here a long while ago asking what religion people were. The majority answer was Protestant, an admittedly large minority were Catholic and then a few answered other.

Would seem strange if we were parading about with anti Protestant banners when a small majority of our fans were themselves Protestant.

I remember that too and seem to recall it was a pretty balanced breakdown in reflection to Edinburgh's demographics.

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Growing up in the late 60s and early 70s, they used to bring huge amounts through to easter road, 20k and more sometimes.

I was always under the impression the term hun was given to them was because they were like the Germans and invaded every town and city whenever their team played away?

I never once thought it was used in any bigoted way?

Obviously things have changed over the years, and for some its seen as bigoted now, but not by me?

lucky
25-01-2013, 11:05 PM
My hun mates hate it and claim its sectarian. But every team in the land sings go home you Huns to them. For me its always been a derogatory term for Rangers rather than a slang religious term

Tinribs
26-01-2013, 12:21 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hun

I have read other versions of this, but it seems fairly reliable in source material.

Jones28
26-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Horrendously Unappealing Nobs

squire
26-01-2013, 04:51 AM
I think it's always been a reference to Der Hun being 'The Enemy'

Mr White
26-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Horrendously Unappealing Nobs

Horrific Undead Neandarthals.

NOLA
26-01-2013, 10:00 AM
At school we were under the impression that because we were called 'papes' followers of rome - romans, and the barbarians who battled the romans were the huns.so for us growing up we identified the huns as prods, so prods were huns, ie. Rangers fans.

Speedy
26-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Maybe in Northern Ireland but here it is just a term to refer to Rangers or Rangers fans imo.

Similarly if something said Tims I would think they are referring to Celtic rather than catholics. I'm sure others will argue otherwise.

MoscowHibs
26-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Dirty racist,soap dodgin, vile @ssholes fae the big hoose. and that's the good things I have tae say.

LeighLoyal
26-01-2013, 10:03 AM
In reality it means Sevco fan and zombie b******d, doesn't have any religious connotation at all whatever the animals say.

Hibercelona
26-01-2013, 10:05 AM
"Hun" never used to be sectarian.

It only became sectarian when they decided it was. :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
26-01-2013, 12:38 PM
"Hun" never used to be sectarian.

It only became sectarian when they decided it was. :rolleyes:

:agree: When it became apparent that the public were getting fed up with their bigoted pish, and the authorities were sitting up and taking notice.

They then had to hit out, and tell the world they were in fact being called nasty names too. Its the rest of us that are bigots, they are defending their good name dont you know? :rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
26-01-2013, 12:45 PM

This. I'm CoS and they're Huns to me.

1two
26-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Can anyone confirm Celtic were once also called Huns?

Sir David Gray
26-01-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm a Protestant and I've never been called a hun in my life.

It's a term to describe oldco/newco supporters and is not sectarian.

Keith_M
26-01-2013, 05:10 PM
The fact that some people have described it as sectarian is laughable. As much as I admire Nil By Mouth, they've got quite a number of facts wrong in an attempt to appease both sides of the WoS sectarian divide, this being one of them.

I went to a League Cup Final a few years ago with a Motherwell supporting mate (MFC v RFC) and they quite widely referred to Rangers fans as 'Huns'. Now, I'm no expert on the subject but I suspect their leanings are not towards the RC faith, more likely CofS.

hibsbollah
26-01-2013, 06:00 PM
The fact that some people have described it as sectarian is laughable. As much as I admire Nil By Mouth, they've got quite a number of facts wrong in an attempt to appease both sides of the WoS sectarian divide, this being one of them.

I went to a League Cup Final a few years ago with a Motherwell supporting mate (MFC v RFC) and they quite widely referred to Rangers fans as 'Huns'. Now, I'm no expert on the subject but I suspect their leanings are not towards the RC faith, more likely CofS.

I used to think like you but the radio programme i described changed my outlook quite a bit. 'Hun' IS used as a sectarian insult, in Northern Ireland admittedly, there is just no doubt about it. The fact that most of us use the word to describe Rangers fans, without intending to be sectarian, is another issue.

Carheenlea
26-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I remember that clown Blue is the Colour getting mightily offended by use of the term Hun on here. All the more reason to use it then if that really is the case amongst Rangers fans/Huns.

kaimendhibs
26-01-2013, 06:09 PM
I have never heard of it being sectarian. Have always called them Huns, I am Protestant for what it's worth (although I have no interest in religion whatsoever)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basehibby
26-01-2013, 06:16 PM
In Scotland the word hun is used exclusively with referance to Rangers fans and is not generally understood to refer to religion - demonstrable by the fact that fans of all clubs refer to them as such, regardless of their own faith or lack thereof. Dunno about Ireland.

WindyMiller
26-01-2013, 06:18 PM
It's nonsense.

The Huns were historically seen as savage barbarians compared to the Romans. So the derogatory term hun was a jibe at people seen as uncivilised, ignorant etc.

The whole attempt to link it to some kind of anti Protestant stance is a typical attempt by one of the Old Firm to do the 'they are as bad AC us' crap.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRreNKjb8gseg9EZL3dSdeyJ7NHXNEar 3HQKFS6FtMVUXko-_4E

IndieHibby
26-01-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm glad this thread is up. For a while now I have been confused by something a Celtic friend of mine said:

Me: "Those ****ing Huns can burn in hell, cheating apes that they are!!" (or words to that effect)
Celtic Mate: " Why do you (i.e. 'hibs fan') call them 'Huns'?"

I'd be delighted if anyone can offer some insight into this. Perplexed me for years!

hibsbollah
26-01-2013, 06:23 PM
In Scotland the word hun is used exclusively with referance to Rangers fans and is not generally understood to refer to religion - demonstrable by the fact that fans of all clubs refer to them as such, regardless of their own faith or lack thereof. Dunno about Ireland.

Celtc fans call Kilmarnock fans huns. Everyone calls the yams mini-huns. Its obviously predominantly used for Rangers fans, but the question is, why Rangers?

WindyMiller
26-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Celtc fans call Kilmarnock fans huns. Everyone calls the yams mini-huns. Its obviously predominantly used for Rangers fans, but the question is, why Rangers?

germans,
jerries,

Mister P
26-01-2013, 07:33 PM
changing the topic a bit here.

Union Jack
red hand of Ulster
"up to their kneews in fenian blood"

classy people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3gHhY1lqI

Jonnyboy
26-01-2013, 07:46 PM
I remember that clown Blue is the Colour getting mightily offended by use of the term Hun on here. All the more reason to use it then if that really is the case amongst Rangers fans/Huns.

Where is our pet, third division hun these days? :wink:

Forza Fred
26-01-2013, 08:30 PM
It's nonsense.

This.

As someone who attended fitba in the early /mid 60's I can confirm that the term 'huns'was given to Rangers as a result of much bad press they continually received when they embarked on pre season friendlies to England.

One particular report mentioned that their supporters invaded the locality (Millwall?) they visited and caused so much damage that it was like being invaded by Attilla and the maurauding Huns.

The name stuck, and jibes about the 'Huns'grew into what is now their official derogotary nickname.

Bit like how 'Dundee United became known as the Árabs', but that came much later and obviously for diferent reasons.

Saw a few posts on heer about how supposedly the term HUN originated in regard to Rangers, and have had a wee chuckle at some of the reasons given in various other threads.

As far as Rangers go - it ws NOT attributed to any German/Royalist/Religious connection - it was given because thjey simply behaved like complete tossers - it could just as easily have been given to Celtic - who at that time weren't far removed from their neighvours when it came to bad behaviour..

Carheenlea
26-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Where is our pet, third division hun these days? :wink:

He used to always claim to be on here to defend his team on posts where Rangers were being torn a new one when queried as to why he was on Hibs.net, the exact same reason given as to his presence on here by that other hero, the Celtic fan who used to bore us to tears frequently. Can`t remember his name. I was convinced they were the same person.

Jonnyboy
26-01-2013, 08:43 PM
He used to always claim to be on here to defend his team on posts where Rangers were being torn a new one when queried as to why he was on Hibs.net, the exact same reason given as to his presence on here by that other hero, the Celtic fan who used to bore us to tears frequently. Can`t remember his name. I was convinced they were the same person.

Was it not Jack Regan?

davemcbain
26-01-2013, 09:03 PM

Loyalist followers of her Germanic majesty - I believe.

Carheenlea
26-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Was it not Jack Regan?

:agree:

Fantic
26-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I don't know if this is relevant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

"their swarthy aspect was fearful, and they had, if I may call it so, a sort of shapeless lump, not a head, with pin-holes rather than eyes.

Forza Fred
27-01-2013, 10:05 AM
I thought it was first bestowed after a trip to Millwall in the early 60's ( see previous post on this thread) but after a quick bit of research appears I got my destinations mixed up.

It was Wolverhampton.

Seel link.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_Glasgow_rangers_fans_called_huns

J-C
27-01-2013, 10:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

Bostonhibby
27-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Must admit in my younger days I always used it because for whatever reason the term offended the huns I was at school with,so why give up on a good thing.

Over the years I have found that their clubs attitude and the fans nationalistic preferences / songs combined with the unashamed arrogance that we now see at its worst has meant it is even easier to liken them to the Nazis of old, who were often referred to in all good war comics as the Hun :greengrin Good enough for me, no sectarian intent there, I leave that to the Ugly sisters.

PS - If we are being serious about this I think we should more properly refer to them as the the Huns now.

Hibrandenburg
28-01-2013, 02:38 PM
I always thought it was a term of endearment, like short for honey!

Does this mean we don't like them anymore :confused: