PDA

View Full Version : Potentially strong midfield to choose from

The Sea-gull
25-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Seems that in the last couple of days the signing rumours have gathered pace and appear to be coming from stronger sources than someone's mate's barber's binman's twitter posts.

If (and given that there has been no confirmation so it is an if) we do sign Gregg Wlyde and Scott Robertson, does that not give us (and I can't believe I'm about to say this) almost an embarrassment of riches in midfield? It would certainly appear to give us our strongest midfield pool since maybe around 06/07 when we had Brown, Thomson, Stewart, Boozy, Glass, Shiels, Sproule and Zemmamma to choose from.

Have I picked up that Claros is staying too?

This could mean that we have Claros, Taiwo, Deegan, Stevenson, Wotherspoon, Cairney, Robertson and Wlyde to choose from as of next week.

As we have signed Liam Craig for next season, this will probably mean one of the above is leaving but if we could keep it to just one from that lot leaving and add Craig, PF can concentrate on improving his defenisve and attackking options over the summer.

Still think we need a wee bit of strengthening in defense and up top to get us through the rest of the season (even if it is just stop gap signings until a better range of targets become available in the sumer) but things seem to be progressing along quite nicely.

Ritchie
25-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Is wylde a left sided player??

if so a midfield of the following looks very good:-

Wylde Claros Robertson Wootherpoon

however, where does Cairney fit in???

HH81
25-01-2013, 12:38 PM

On the right in front of DW.

Andy74
25-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Deegan will be one of the first on the teamsheet and rightly so. It will be good to have options to change things.

Judas Iscariot
25-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Think we could see more of the 4-5-1

Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern

Robertson Deegan Cairney Claros Wylde

Griffiths

More like a 4-2-3-1 when attacking though..

Williams

Deegan Claros

Robertson Cairney Wylde

Griffiths

Well, that'd be my team and take on it :aok:

Stevie Reid
25-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Deegan will be one of the first on the teamsheet and rightly so. It will be good to have options to change things.

I'm not so sure. If Fenlon thought Deegan was the answer I'm sure that he would have been signed on a two year deal like everyone else, but he was one year with an option IIRC - though I suppose that could be due to previous injury problems. I like Deegan, but Taiwo and Claros have been more impressive as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at the moment that our midfield pairing next year will be Craig and Robertson.

Andy74
25-01-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm not so sure. If Fenlon thought Deegan was the answer I'm sure that he would have been signed on a two year deal like everyone else, but he was one year with an option IIRC - though I suppose that could be due to previous injury problems. I like Deegan, but Taiwo and Claros have been more impressive as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at the moment that our midfield pairing next year will be Craig and Robertson.

Probably more Deegans choice. He is vital for us whether we all see that or not and he will be in the team if still here.

Ritchie
25-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Think we could see more of the 4-5-1

Williams

Robertson Deegan Cairney Claros Wylde

Griffiths

More like a 4-2-3-1 when attacking though..

Williams

Deegan Claros

Robertson Cairney Wylde

Griffiths

Well, that'd be my team and take on it :aok:

i'd be happy with that steven.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Probably more Deegans choice. He is vital for us whether we all see that or not and he will be in the team if still here.

He's not vital, some of our best results and performances this season came without him in the team. He's a decent player and a lot better than what we had previously.

Fergus52
25-01-2013, 01:35 PM
If Robinson and Wylde both sign Fenlon will have a large amount of options in midfieled which is something that we have not had in a while.

I tried to think of the best 4 or 5 that would work together but was always unhappy about leaving someone out.

As suspensions and injuries mount up in the second half of the season I'm delighted that (if they both sign) we will be extremely well covered with all midfielders in the squad at a more than acceptable level (IMO) :greengrin

sesoim
25-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Before people start getting overexcited here - we need midfielders who score GOALS. Something that, without Griffiths, we are barely capable of getting at the moment. We need someone who can knock in 10 a season from central midfield - a Latapy type if that is possible. I don't see many goals on any of the players CVs that we are being linked with.

I'm also hoping we'll sign another striker, at least on loan, fairly urgently as Kuqi wont contribute anything and Doyle isn't good enough to be a first choice for us. Surely there are a few decent Scandinavian strikers out of contract at the moment?

Come summer, we definitely need to look at the defence as we need a permanent LB, a stronger CB to partner McPake and possibly another "cover" player to take over from Maybury. Oh, and a decent GK to put pressure on Williams.

Ritchie
25-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Before people start getting overexcited here - we need midfielders who score GOALS. Something that, without Griffiths, we are barely capable of getting at the moment. We need someone who can knock in 10 a season from central midfield - a Latapy type if that is possible. I don't see many goals on any of the players CVs that we are being linked with.

I'm also hoping we'll sign another striker, at least on loan, fairly urgently as Kuqi wont contribute anything and Doyle isn't good enough to be a first choice for us. Surely there are a few decent Scandinavian strikers out of contract at the moment?

Come summer, we definitely need to look at the defence as we need a permanent LB, a stronger CB to partner McPake and possibly another "cover" player to take over from Maybury. Oh, and a decent GK to put pressure on Williams.

Liam Craig & Scott Robertson are both players who can score from midfield.

Cairney too but i feel he'd get more goals if we played him in the centre.

Taiwo, Claros & Deegan aren't goalscorers and they have been our centre midfielders this season which is why we havent had many goals from midfield!

southfieldhibby
25-01-2013, 02:34 PM

This is the beauty of football.

Personally, I think Deegan is rank, pretty good at running about, not bad at tackling/fouling but when in control of the football, terrible.I think not having him in the team is good and that Taiwo is better in all aspects of the game, except conceding fouls.

Then again, I'm no fan of James McPake as a footballer.Decent captain, no so good footballer.

Judas Iscariot
25-01-2013, 02:34 PM
i'd be happy with that steven.

Thank you Scott :aok: xxx

IWasThere2016
25-01-2013, 02:35 PM
I think we should try Avril's visionary 4-6-0 - it was a resounding success after all! :agree:

Haymaker
25-01-2013, 03:05 PM
We should go back to 2-3-5 formations. All these 4 or 5 at the back/midfield rubbish is just boring. Get it up the park to 5 strikers and watch the goals rack up!

:greengrin

hibsbollah
25-01-2013, 03:07 PM
I have a feeling in the mid to long term Fenlon will be playing a 4-5-1.

neil7908
25-01-2013, 04:50 PM
I've heard the Wylde rumour the last few days but nothing about Robertson - are the suggestions a loan or signing?

If we do get the guys mentioned and having kept all 3 loan players I'm pretty excited for the rest of the season with Craig due in summer as well. Only complaint is that I think still a bit short up front

TheFamous1875
25-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Only complaint is that I think still a bit short up front

If Sparky has as good a midfield it seems like he's about to have behind him, he could potentially double his tally!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ultrabee1-0
25-01-2013, 05:19 PM
-------------Williams---------------
Clancy. Mcpake. Mcgivern. Hanlon

Deegan. Claros.

Spoony/doyle Wylde.

Cairney.

Sparky

neil7908
25-01-2013, 05:27 PM
If Sparky has as good a midfield it seems like he's about to have behind him, he could potentially double his tally!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very true, I'm just a bit concerned that if anything happened to him or Doyle like a bad injury we'd be left with Kuqi and Handling/Caldwell. I would like to see the young guys get a weee bit more game time but at the same time not sure if they're ready to step in and lead the line for say 10-15 games.

Apocalypso
25-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Isn't Robertson a full back? Or was anyway. :cb

hfc rd
25-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Isn't Robertson a full back? Or was anyway. :cb

He's a CM

Apocalypso
25-01-2013, 05:37 PM
He's a CM

He definitely played full back for the Arabs.

Unless I'm on the crack? :confused:

Apocalypso
25-01-2013, 05:57 PM
He's a CM

You're right. :aok: Just checked with an Arab supporting mate and he says, and I quote "Was mince til his contract was nearly up then became a world beater. Then he moved and was ***** again".

Anyway. He's no signed yet so let's see.

DAVE1875
25-01-2013, 06:25 PM
:hmmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk1O_YUJVvk