PDA

View Full Version : Question What do people think of Cairney at CAM and Lewis at LM for sheep land?

TheFamous1875
25-01-2013, 10:10 AM
I liked the idea of Lewis and McGivern on the wing together, with Ryan making those great runs up with Lewis cutting back for cover, I think it'd be even better if we had the option of Cairney in the middle. I'm a firm believer of playing your players to their strengths, and I feel Cairney could create much more there than he would on the wing (his pace maybe let's him down in that position). Maybe I'm just wanting Lewis in the starting 11 because he deserves the game time, but I think this'd be a good option, defensively and in an attacking sense.

jacomo
25-01-2013, 11:02 AM
I think this is viable although who sits behind Cairney in midfield to shore things up (presuming a 4 man midfield with DW on the right?)

Deegan probably best candidate for that role although there is a risk of being over-run through the middle.

bingo70
25-01-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't think we should play a left winger on the basis it helps our left back attack, that's the left wingers job.

The lewis debate has been done to death and I accept I'm in the minority in not rating him but surely everyone can see he's not a left winger?! As the op suggests the only reason to play him there is to shoe horn him into the team and its not for the teams actual benefit.

superfurryhibby
25-01-2013, 11:20 AM
I think this is viable although who sits behind Cairney in midfield to shore things up (presuming a 4 man midfield with DW on the right?)

Deegan probably best candidate for that role although there is a risk of being over-run through the middle.

If the sheep play four in the midfield then I would be more than happy to see Cairney given a try in there, although a case could be made for experimentation in a less important game.

We certainly do need to try and change the issues with lack of creativity through the centre of the park.

TheFamous1875
25-01-2013, 11:40 AM
I just feel getting Cairney into the centre of the park is important. More important than shoe-horning Lewis into them team (even though I believe his place in the starting 11 is merited).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheReg!
25-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Lewis at LB, Ryan McG LM and Cairney ACM.

bingo70
25-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I just feel getting Cairney into the centre of the park is important. More important than shoe-horning Lewis into them team (even though I believe his place in the starting 11 is merited).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Im fine with cairney in the middle, although I'm he'd need a couple of sitting midfielders behind him, he doesn't have the legs for a central two imo.

Is like us to try a central midfield of deegan, claros and taiwo with cairney given a free roll in front of them and Doyle and Griffiths up front, we wouldbt get much width but we're not offering a threat from there anyway so might as well try and create something centrally. It'd also require deegan and taiwo shuffling over to protect the full backs but with the current personnel I think its worth a shot.

J-C
25-01-2013, 11:47 AM
If we go with the 4-2-3-1 system then playing Lewis on the left is a good option, with Doyle on the right, Taiwo & Deegan as the holders with Cairney as the middle man behind Griffiths.

Hibee87
25-01-2013, 11:53 AM
On the assumption that we sign Wylde i would like to see us set up with a 4-4-2 oh

Wylde - Deean - Claros - Cairny

WHen playing 5 i nthe middle (as i think we should against the sheep)

Wylde deegan claros doyle
---------Cairney-----

---------Griffiths

means deegan and claros can sit and when having the ball can get it forward to cairny who can sprey to wings or play griffiths through on goal

swap wylde with lewis in the event we dont get wylde. and i would also choose, but doubt would happed, is lewis LB and mcgivern LM

allezsauzee
25-01-2013, 12:02 PM
My team would be
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern

Wotherspoon Claros Cairney Taiwo Doyle
Griffiths

Treadstone
25-01-2013, 12:51 PM
I don't think we should play a left winger on the basis it helps our left back attack, that's the left wingers job.

I know what you are saying Bingo, but in the modern game full backs must attack or you are already one down in the tactical battle. The top sides have full backs who attack and while we may not be in their class (the Man Us, Barcas' and Real Madrids) it is definitely the way to go.

TheReg!
25-01-2013, 03:15 PM
My team would be
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern

Wotherspoon Claros Cairney Taiwo Doyle
Griffiths

Thats the team and formation I hope Pat plays on Sunday, we haven't had much luck against the Sheep this season.

Jonnyboy
25-01-2013, 07:48 PM

The lewis debate has been done to death and I accept I'm in the minority in not rating him but surely everyone can see he's not a left winger?! As the op suggests the only reason to play him there is to shoe horn him into the team and its not for the teams actual benefit.

I know we've exchanged views on Lewis before bingo :wink: and I know they tend to differ. On this occasion I think you're wrong about 'shoe horning' him in. The majority of posters thought McGivern was excellent last time out and that was based pretty much on the amount of times he burst forward. The fact that he was comfortable in doing so was down to Lewis covering his absence. Surely that arrangement benefits the team?

shetlandhibee
26-01-2013, 06:48 PM
My team would be:

---------------Williams-------
clancy---mcpake--hanlon---Stevenson
--------------claros---deegan----------
Wotherspoon---------------------wylde
------------------cairney----------------
----------------griffiths------------------

And big games:

-----------Williams---------
Clancy-mcpake-hanlon-mcgivern
Wotherspoon--claros-deegan-cairney-Doyle/stevenson
--------------griffiths---------

shetlandhibee
26-01-2013, 06:55 PM
My team would be:

---------------Williams-------
clancy---mcpake--hanlon---Stevenson
--------------claros---deegan----------
Wotherspoon---------------------wylde
------------------cairney----------------
----------------griffiths------------------

And big games:

-----------Williams---------
Clancy-mcpake-hanlon-mcgivern
Wotherspoon--claros-deegan-cairney-Doyle/stevenson
--------------griffiths---------
Although our teams so strong you could have all different options (e.g. Tawio, maybury)