PDA

View Full Version : Steve Archibald

Speedway
25-01-2013, 10:26 AM
I was always impressed by Archibald, if not his attitude, and find him to be under discussed in the corridors of .net deliberation.

A huge coup for Lexo beating off Liverpool to sign him from Barcelona and in fact Hibs' last transfer dealing with a big Spanish club due to the breakdown of Benji's move to Real after wages became a stumbling block for the Bernabeu outfit.

44 games, 15 goals, massive talent, never really did it for Scotland. Lots of arguments with Lexo. Certainly the biggest star we signed behind Best in the past 40 years.

What's everyone memories of Archie?

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Remember he used to get dogs abuse for not chasing down passes to the byline, strangely enough the ones he did chase down he inevitably reached. Nae point wasting energy on lost causes.

Will never forget that goal at Tynie, quality!

matty_f
25-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I thought he was great. :agree: Pretty sure my dad took me to his debut.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I was always impressed by Archibald, if not his attitude, and find him to be under discussed in the corridors of .net deliberation.

A huge coup for Lexo beating off Liverpool to sign him from Barcelona and in fact Hibs' last transfer dealing with a big Spanish club due to the breakdown of Benji's move to Real after wages became a stumbling block for the Bernabeu outfit.

44 games, 15 goals, massive talent, never really did it for Scotland. Lots of arguments with Lexo. Certainly the biggest star we signed behind Best in the past 40 years.

I was ten when he signed, and I remember him scoring two goals off the bench on his debut (against Stranraer?) and being a quality player for us - I was aware of his stature in the game at the time, and how much of a coup his signing was, but it wasn't until I watched videos of his performances several years later that I realised just what supreme quality his all round play was, and how much he elevated a young Hibs side when he played. Winner at Tynie was the stand out moment,

The taxi from Motherwell also sticks in mind, as does a phenomenal long pass into the box for Beastie to score a header at ER, and the last minute free kick against Hearts that hit the post (and would have put an early stop to 22 in a row IIRC, though I may be wrong).

Lots of memories for a relatively short time. Shear class.

Suburban Hibby
25-01-2013, 10:41 AM
The man oozed class- you look back now and wonder how he ended up with us. His goal at Tynie is possibly the fondest memory
of supporting Hibs. Absolute chaos, indescribable bedlam.

Brings a tingle down the spine thinking about it.

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-01-2013, 11:02 AM
A brilliant signing for us he was and added to the list of greats that have played for Hibs, his goal at the asbestos arena was shear class

legends of 73
25-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Hopefully the link works
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=luB0aej4_rE

Frazerbob
25-01-2013, 11:14 AM
I remember being very unimpressed when we signed Archie. How ridiculous is that? We sign the current Barcelona centre forward, who was a regular in the Scotland squad and was previously very successful in England for Spurs, from under the noses of Liverpool, the best club in the World at the time and I wasn't impressed. WTF?

Turned out he was one the most talented and cultured players I ever had the pleasure to watch in a Hibs shirt. As has been said, THAT goal at Tynie was one my happiest memories as Hibs fan. Having said all that, he was a moody twat at times!

ChilliEater
25-01-2013, 11:17 AM
At school in the mid 80's, when Marillion were getting pretty big, word went round that Fish was in town. My mate, lead guitarist in the local rock band, Marillion fan and, in my eyes at least, the coolest guy in the school, suggests heading off down into town at lunchtime to see if we can see him. Off we pop and, lo and behold, run into Fish coming out of John Menzies. I'm looking forward to witnessing this meeting of rockstar cool muso-ness. "Hey Fish", calls my mate, the coolest guy in the school. Fish turns round with a "Hi". "I think you're great" says the used to be coolest guy in the school as I look on incredulously and vow to never, ever, be so lame should I ever meet any of my heroes.
Fast forward 7 or 8 years and I'm working in a shop in the St Enoch Centre, in the weej. Bored at the lack of customers I wander to the door and look outside, only to see Stevie Archibald (sporting a very dapper and expensive looking trenchcoat) eyeing up the goods in the window. "Stevie Archibald!" I cry. "Hi", he says. "I thought you were great when you played for Hibs". The embarrassment was palpable, on both sides, as I shuffled, head down, back into the shop.

Frazerbob
25-01-2013, 11:23 AM
At school in the mid 80's, when Marillion were getting pretty big, word went round that Fish was in town. My mate, lead guitarist in the local rock band, Marillion fan and, in my eyes at least, the coolest guy in the school, suggests heading off down into town at lunchtime to see if we can see him. Off we pop and, lo and behold, run into Fish coming out of John Menzies. I'm looking forward to witnessing this meeting of rockstar cool muso-ness. "Hey Fish", calls my mate, the coolest guy in the school. Fish turns round with a "Hi". "I think you're great" says the used to be coolest guy in the school as I look on incredulously and vow to never, ever, be so lame should I ever meet any of my heroes.
Fast forward 7 or 8 years and I'm working in a shop in the St Enoch Centre, in the weej. Bored at the lack of customers I wander to the door and look outside, only to see Stevie Archibald (sporting a very dapper and expensive looking trenchcoat) eyeing up the goods in the window. "Stevie Archibald!" I cry. "Hi", he says. "I thought you were great when you played for Hibs". The embarrassment was palpable, on both sides, as I shuffled, head down, back into the shop.

Haha, good story. 2 heroes of mine!

johnbc70
25-01-2013, 11:38 AM
I remember being at the Tynie game with my Dad, we used to stand to the left as the terrace bent round the corner in those days. Remember the whole place going mental when he scored.

Did we really beat Liverpool to his signature? Anyone know the story behind his signature, find it hard to believe we paid more than Liverpool even in those days.

mjhibby
25-01-2013, 11:52 AM

Along with frank sauzee and george best the greatest hibs players i have seen in the flesh.He was to my mind the best player in scotland for 12 months while at hibs and his bringing on of the likes of kane,may,weir etc was just brilliant.Any player that made super joe tortalano look good had to be very special indeed.As for that goal at tynie it must rank amongst the best moments in a derby ever.As everybody has said sheer class as was his missus iirc.

MSK
25-01-2013, 12:11 PM
The man oozed class- you look back now and wonder how he ended up with us. His goal at Tynie is possibly the fondest memory
of supporting Hibs. Absolute chaos, indescribable bedlam.

Brings a tingle down the spine thinking about it.:agree:

fat freddy
25-01-2013, 12:14 PM
he was class but one of my memories is a penalty miss against aberdeen at easter road in a cup match...theo snelders would have been sent off now for an attack on evans as he broke clear with the goal gaping...penalty!...archie took it and it was the first time i'd seen a player take a penalty without a run up...he just stood and struck the ball against the bar....i think we went out in extra time 2-1.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Football memories are a collection of iconic moments - and not always on YouTube.

Archie the Jinx Buster - that iconic photo on Hibs Monthly is imprinted on my brain.
Massive sways after - gives me goosebumps just thinking of that goal. Truly "singin in the rain" at Tynie - you you've boy's donno what you missed out on.

head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch - no wonder he shook his head at linesmen, refs and at times team mates he was somewhere in a different stratosphere of football genius. What a first touch and pass at distance.

Still held pride in performance and dignity - a winner through and through - scored in the 3-1 semi defeat to Celtic after their first half blitzkrieg (after hills borough?!)

His sister taugh my brother at Trinity. Couldn't believe it when he signed.

Folks must have been bewildered to see the likes of Archie and latterly Sauzeé train on public parks.

Andy74
25-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Football memories are a collection of iconic moments - and not always on YouTube.

Archie the Jinx Buster - that iconic photo on Hibs Monthly is imprinted on my brain.
Massive sways after - gives me goosebumps just thinking of that goal. Truly "singin in the rain" at Tynie - you you've boy's donno what you missed out on.

head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch - no wonder he shook his head at linesmen, refs and at times team mates he was somewhere in a different stratosphere of football genius. What a first touch and pass at distance.

Still held pride in performance and dignity - a winner through and through - scored in the 3-1 semi defeat to Celtic after their first half blitzkrieg (after hills borough?!)

His sister taugh my brother at Trinity. Couldn't believe it when he signed.

Folks must have been bewildered to see the likes of Archie and latterly Sauzeé train on public parks.

Used to watch them train when I lived round the corner from Wardie as a kid. Strange to see him pulling up in his Jag alongside the rust buckets the other guys arrived in.

A class act on the pitch. Latterly a total fud off it however and his dealings as an 'agent' were extremely dodgy.

allezsauzee
25-01-2013, 01:12 PM
He was definitely Hibs Class

johnrebus
25-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Funny how the passage of time only leaves us with the good memories of Archibald, though I admit, there were a few........,

However, my abiding recollection of the man, was that of a very strange, arrogant, awkward and condescending individual who could start an argument in an empty room.

Apart from that, he was great.

:greengrin

Simkin911
25-01-2013, 01:31 PM
I was at Tynie and he signed the photo for me a couple of of weeks later <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Barney McGrew
25-01-2013, 02:03 PM
I had the fortune to bump into him in Barcelona a few years ago and we had a brief chat.

He still remembers the Archiegoal at Tynecastle very fondly :aok:

Mr White
25-01-2013, 02:06 PM
I only saw him play for hibs a few times as it was approaching the end of his time here that i started going to easter road but the first hibs derby goal I ever witnessed was his looping header in the 1-1 draw at e-r, november 1989 I think? Quality goal and he made touches of class like that seem effortless.

Frazerbob
25-01-2013, 02:12 PM
I only saw him play for hibs a few times as it was approaching the end of his time here that i started going to easter road but the first hibs derby goal I ever witnessed was his looping header in the 1-1 draw at e-r, november 1989 I think? Quality goal and he made touches of class like that seem effortless.

The bitter little twat Alex McDonald claimed in the aftermatch interview tha it was fluke. Sheer class!

trev the hat
25-01-2013, 02:45 PM
His goal at the PBS is etched in my barnet evermore, carnage total carnage, his hatrick at ER against smellies 3-0 up at half time and occassionally spotting him in his gold Rolls Royce at fir park or any other away ground prior to kick off. As said alongside Sauzee and Best for modern day genius to wear the green. Fantastic memories.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2013, 02:50 PM
His goal at the PBS is etched in my barnet evermore, carnage total carnage, his hatrick at ER against smellies 3-0 up at half time and occassionally spotting him in his gold Rolls Royce at fir park or any other away ground prior to kick off. As said alongside Sauzee and Best for modern day genius to wear the green. Fantastic memories.

He scored two that day. Evans scored the other IIRC.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2013, 02:55 PM

I was just a youngster when Best played for Hibs, but, I don't think he should be mentioned in the same breath as the other two for how he performed in a Hibs strip.

Spike Mandela
25-01-2013, 02:59 PM
"Hibs hail heroes, Archie hails taxi" still one of my favourite Hibs headlines:cb

Funny, how despite the goals the thing I remember most about Archie wasn't even a goal. In one game he was hugging the right touchline tightly marked by a full back. Someone pinged a crossfield pass to him. Now, ordinary mortals would have trapped the ball and tried to take on his man or release the ball back or inside to another player. Instead Archie done this sweeping movement with the outside of his right boot trapping the ball and moving it up the right wing with one movement. I swear he was haring up the wing 4 or 5 yards away from the defender who hadn't even turned round yet.

Unadulterated class!

trev the hat
25-01-2013, 03:03 PM
He scored two that day. Evans scored the other IIRC.
Think your correct my friend :agree:

Saorsa
25-01-2013, 03:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNtc80iNbQc

MrSmith
25-01-2013, 03:21 PM
That game and goal will be etched in my memory for ever! I used to work at Causewayside Petrol Station in the 80's, Archie was a regular there. I met him on a few occasions, he was a really really nice bloke. He didn't want to leave Hibs however, a spat with AM meant he was a gonner!

Stevie Reid
25-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Think your correct my friend :agree:

:aok:

Hillsidehibby
25-01-2013, 03:29 PM
It makes me feel like greetin when I think about players like him at Easter Road.

One memory is Archie running down the touchline, skinning the full back and putting in a peach of a cross to the near post, no Hibs player is there to get on the end of it.

This happens again, cross to the near post, no Hibs player there.

He does it for a third time, cross to the near post, Gareth Evans has gone to the far post!

He just stood there shaking his head!

Speedway
25-01-2013, 04:14 PM
I remember calling Hibs Clubcall at 45p a fudgin' minute to get transfer updates on Archibald after I'd heard a rumour.

You could even hear the tape player click into action when you called and some Jim White over the top voice taking your first quid fiddy off you by padding out the news as much as possible

'Hey, you're looking great, you've reached Hibs Clubcall, the official update line of Hibernian Football Club with the very latest up to the minute news about all the goings on at Easter Road. You betcha, on Hibs clubcall you'll be the first to hear the very latest news from around Easter Round including transfer news, team news, the latest from the transfer market and the manager's thoughts on the team. We'll bring you all the very latest news from Hibernian Football Club at Easter Road where HIbernian play...Hibs....the Hi-Bees.

Now, as promised, we're about the bring you here on HIbs Clubcall, the offical update line of Hibernian Football club, the very latest news from around Easter Round including transfer news, team news, the latest from the transfer market and the manager's thoughts on the team. We'll bring you all the very latest news from Hibernian Football Club at Eas'....*hangs up* *breaks phone* *Calls BT sweary names*

hibee
25-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Seen this picture of him earlier today too:

http://www.oldschoolpanini.com/2013/01/dans-la-serie-il-ny-pas-que-trifon.html

majorhibs
25-01-2013, 05:04 PM
It makes me feel like greetin when I think about players like him at Easter Road.

One memory is Archie running down the touchline, skinning the full back and putting in a peach of a cross to the near post, no Hibs player is there to get on the end of it.

This happens again, cross to the near post, no Hibs player there.

He does it for a third time, cross to the near post, Gareth Evans has gone to the far post!

He just stood there shaking his head!

The amount of times, standin in the top part of the old east terracing, watchin from above the quality balls Stevie Arcibald was playin into brilliant space for players not on the same wavelength, at that time if we had had one player thinking & moving at the same level as Archibald we would have done BIG damage in that league. To see the hertz defenders backin off terrified every time he had the ball or made a run was a revelation after the crap years we endured just before then. Steve Archibald was class like Franck Sauzee was class for me.

SpiderHibs
25-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I remember going to a Hibs Kids training day when Archiebald was at ER. In the morning he pulled up for training in a Jaguar coupe, went home at lunchtime and came back in a Rolls Royce (or vice versa). It was pretty impressive when you were about 10.

erin go bragh
25-01-2013, 09:13 PM
His goal at the pbs ,then standing with his arms aloft as we all went totally mental :not worth

ggtth

AlbertK86
25-01-2013, 09:31 PM
I remember calling Hibs Clubcall at 45p a fudgin' minute to get transfer updates on Archibald after I'd heard a rumour.

You could even hear the tape player click into action when you called and some Jim White over the top voice taking your first quid fiddy off you by padding out the news as much as possible

'Hey, you're looking great, you've reached Hibs Clubcall, the official update line of Hibernian Football Club with the very latest up to the minute news about all the goings on at Easter Road. You betcha, on Hibs clubcall you'll be the first to hear the very latest news from around Easter Round including transfer news, team news, the latest from the transfer market and the manager's thoughts on the team. We'll bring you all the very latest news from Hibernian Football Club at Easter Road where HIbernian play...Hibs....the Hi-Bees.

Now, as promised, we're about the bring you here on HIbs Clubcall, the offical update line of Hibernian Football club, the very latest news from around Easter Round including transfer news, team news, the latest from the transfer market and the manager's thoughts on the team. We'll bring you all the very latest news from Hibernian Football Club at Eas'....*hangs up* *breaks phone* *Calls BT sweary names*

Club call .... Cannae believe I had forgotten all about that !!!

As for Archibald .... I never realised how clever a player he was until I saw him 'live' for the Hibs

He was absolute class .... The only one in the team who had the same speed of thought and jumped onto his wavelength was Johnny Collins

That Goal at Tynie .... One of my best ever Tynie memories ...... Singing in the rain indeed ... Fantastic

gegs70
25-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Fantastic player....

Remember him scoring 2 against cektic I think ( Eddie May got one too). Great day out!!! I also loved pointing out the ex hibs and scotland player in the nou camp brilliant!!!

Baldy Foghorn
26-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Fantastic player....

Remember him scoring 2 against cektic I think ( Eddie May got one too). Great day out!!! I also loved pointing out the ex hibs and scotland player in the nou camp brilliant!!!

IIRC Alan Rough was in goals for Celtic that day.....

Remember his debut in the Cup vs Stranraer, I was due to be admitted to Hospital, but I never went in, as the game and Archie was much more important to me.....

Goal at the piggery was awesome, pandemonium in the Away End, never celebrated a goal so much.....

Tinribs
26-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Steve parking his Rolls Royce next to Paul Kane's Ford Cortina in the ER staff carpark. Legend :greengrin

Pete
26-01-2013, 02:22 AM

:top marks

heretoday
26-01-2013, 02:29 AM
Archibald was, arguably, the classiest centre forward Hibs ever had.

I'll never forget that goal at Tynecastle.

AK86
26-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Archie educated the Hibs fans about how to play. He got stick at first for not running about like a heidless chicken chasing lost causes. He conserved energy, hence why he still had the pace to outstrip the **** defence late on at the dump
His flick ons were immense, the ball dropped right at the targets feet
Top goalscorer wherever he went, dons, us, spurs and barca, it's mighty impressive. Couldn't get a regular game for Scotland because he never played for the bigot bros :confused:

his wife was a total stunner too:greengrin