PDA

View Full Version : scarf washing

Pete
25-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Kids scarves in the shop consist of one type. My boy wanted a bar scarf like daddy.
Amazingly, a kids bar scarf that my sister had from the mid nineties appeared but it hadn't been worn for years and had to be washed.
I'm sitting with it now and it feels as smooth as a bairns bum and smells like a spring morning. Every scarf I have owned has started in this state but it doesn't feel right until it smells of the person who it belongs to.
Comparing the smell of my scarves to this fresh one is like night and day. Mine don't smell at all but that usually means the things in question could do with a wash!

Scarves should be washed when first purchased but that's it! Any other washes would be plain unlucky and if you collect stains then you have to live with them.

Or is this just manky? :-D

Spike Mandela
25-01-2013, 07:18 AM
Kids scarves in the shop consist of one type. My boy wanted a bar scarf like daddy.
Amazingly, a kids bar scarf that my sister had from the mid nineties appeared but it hadn't been worn for years and had to be washed.
I'm sitting with it now and it feels as smooth as a bairns bum and smells like a spring morning. Every scarf I have owned has started in this state but it doesn't feel right until it smells of the person who it belongs to.
Comparing the smell of my scarves to this fresh one is like night and day. Mine don't smell at all but that usually means the things in question could do with a wash!

Scarves should be washed when first purchased but that's it! Any other washes would be plain unlucky and if you collect stains then you have to live with them.

Or is this just manky? :-D

Don't believe that unlucky baloney. My scarf has been handed down through the generations and hasn't been washed since 1902. Can't say it's been that unlucky.:cb

StevieT
25-01-2013, 08:01 AM
I would never wash a scarf throughout the season.

superfurryhibby
25-01-2013, 08:31 AM
My scarfs from the early sixties. If I washed it then it would probably fall apart!

Golden Bear
25-01-2013, 08:41 AM
My scarfs from the early sixties. If I washed it then it would probably fall apart!

:agree:

And me.

My old "university type" wool scarf from the seventies is still my favourite. It's been washed umpteen times but still retains its classy look.

Jones28
25-01-2013, 08:50 AM
We always wash ours at the end of the season.

Sorry chaps, it's out fault :greengrin:

DarrenSQH
25-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Last time i washed mines was about the 18th of may last year. I dont think its unlucky.

Eyrie
25-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Surely the only time to wash a scarf is when we're going through a patch of bad form?

Albanian Hibs
25-01-2013, 08:23 PM
I wash my scarf when its covered in kebab stains which usually happens quite a lot.

sauzee6_2
25-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Shocked and stunned at this!! I thought the rite of passage to being a cabbage supporter was that you NEVER washed your scarf. My one must be nigh on 25 years without seeing a washing machine.

surreyhibbie
25-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Shocked and stunned at this!! I thought the rite of passage to being a cabbage supporter was that you NEVER washed your scarf. My one must be nigh on 25 years without seeing a washing machine.

Can't remember when I got my fav one, but there is still a faint bloodstain on it from a trip to Aberdeen 38years ago......but that's another story. :greengrin

Never been washed, never will be..

O'Rourke3
25-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Never washed a scarf - possibly any scarf - but certainly never washed any of my Hibs ones.

DaveSo
26-01-2013, 11:27 AM
I have had my scarf since Primary School and its had the same knot in it since going to Leige to see Hibs in the UEFA Cup.
Have vowed to only chuck it when we win the SC and I thought its time was up last year but it lived to see many more days.
Its never been washed in all these years.