PDA

View Full Version : Media Twenty's Plenty!

IWasThere2016
24-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Great idea IMHO.

http://news.sky.com/story/1042138/football-fans-demand-20-cap-on-away-tickets

Pretty Boy
24-01-2013, 11:57 AM
It could well work in England because of the huge TV deals.

In Scotland, well some away supports here struggle to reach 3 figures so not sure what knocking 2 or 3 pound of a ticket price would acheive other than costing clubs money.

DC_Hibs
24-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Twenty IS plenty.

Ticket prices for away fans at Dortmund in a months time - no seats under €35:
Add 10% charge from selling club & registered postage to the face value prices below and it shatters the myth of cheap bundesliga

Block 08, 60, 61: €18,40€

Block 57, 58, 59, 75 - €35,00
vorderer Bereich: €41,50

Block 55, 56 : €49,50

Block 70: €51,50

These are all in the corner behind the goal so not exactly main stand halfway line.

Keith_M
24-01-2013, 12:19 PM
So, I'll be sitting in the South Stand from now on?

See you all there. :wink:

Keith_M
24-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Twenty IS plenty.

Add 10% charge from selling club & registered postage to the face value prices below and it shatters the myth of cheap bundesliga

These are all in the corner behind the goal so not exactly main stand halfway line.

Be fair, if Hibs had a team like Borussia and were playing in the Bundesliga, I don't think anyone would be complaining about those prices :wink:

The thing a lot of people seem to misunderstand about German ticket prices is that it's not that they're all cheap, but that there's a big range of prices, from very cheap to very expensive. Whereas in Scotland there's practically just one price.

That, to me, is what should be encouraged. If we had a stadium designed for it (I'm not sure we do, at present) and had gradual pricing, e.g. from terracing behind the goals (at say £15) to seats on the half way line (say £30), then we could provide access to more people that maybe couldn't otherwise afford it.

worcesterhibby
24-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Be fair, if Hibs had a team like Borussia and were playing in the Bundesliga, I don't think anyone would be complaining about those prices :wink:

The thing a lot of people seem to misunderstand about German ticket prices is that it's not that they're all cheap, but that there's a big range of prices, from very cheap to very expensive. Whereas in Scotland there's practically just one price.

That, to me, is what should be encouraged. If we had a stadium designed for it (I'm not sure we do, at present) and had gradual pricing, e.g. from terracing behind the goals (at say £15) to seats on the half way line (say £30), then we could provide access to more people that maybe couldn't otherwise afford it.

Good post...agree:agree:

Jpdhfc
24-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Twenty IS plenty.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you get free trains and buses if you buy a ticket for away games in Germany therefore travel price included

Ross4356
24-01-2013, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhLS3DCoU0

Eaststand
24-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you get free trains and buses if you buy a ticket for away games in Germany therefore travel price included

Aye but my grandad warned me that when in germany, to beware of the guard trying to trick you into speaking english when he holds out a ciggie and says have you got a light tommy....

Hibbyradge
24-01-2013, 01:20 PM
I really don't think ticket pricing affects attendances as much as people think.

For example, if Hibs were in a cup final, I'd pay any amount to be there.

If Hibs were playing pish week in, week out, I wouldn't watch them even if it only cost a fiver.

Letting folk in for a fiver works as a one off, when folk might go along for the novelty.

Eventually, we'd be left with pretty much the main body of supporters that we have now.

How much more should SPL sides charge for watching a match compared to say, Ice Hockey?

Twice as much? 50% more? :dunno:

Adult tickets to watch the Capitals at Murrayfield cost £14 or £16.

DC_Hibs
24-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Hibs fans complain about plenty so I reckon 40 or 50 quid wouldnt sit too favourably.

Rodders would be unhappy enough ripping out good seating to make standing places available so don't get your hopes up about 2 or 3 thousand tickets becoming cheaper. There is no way that an increase in crowds due to introducing a standing section/cheaper ticket would negate the drop in income from reducing those prices....even by increasing other prices like centre stand again.

I'd be delighted if we did have standing areas and cheaper tickets. I would continue using a seat but I want others to be given the choice especially when it may improve the atmosphere. Just being realistic here.

@Jpdhfc - the match ticket always covers travel in the city for a good few hours before and after the game and in some instances in that region as well. Dortmund ticket allows regional transport use such as train from Duesseldorf airport which is about an hours journey.

patlowe
24-01-2013, 01:29 PM
I really don't think ticket pricing affects attendances as much as people think.

If Hibs were playing pish week in, week out, I wouldn't watch them even if it only cost a fiver.

Letting folk in for a fiver works as a one off, when folk might go along for the novelty.

Eventually, we'd be left with pretty much the main body of supporters that we have now.

How much more should SPL sides charge for watching a match compared to say, Ice Hockey?

It's difficult to know but some might argue that it is the novelty factor of one-off ventures that stop them being successful. A more sustained, targeted attempt to bring down prices in line with the product on the park might have a better effect in the long-run. Also, slightly off-the topic of away tickets, but these debates often focus on individual games when better value season tickets are what's needed IMO.

I'm not saying you're wrong HR btw, ticket prices is a tough issue for clubs and any attempt to lower prices is laden with risk.

As for having a bigger range of ticket prices, is that not something the club was heavily criticised for a few years back which they changed to try and encourage fans back?

The_Sauz
24-01-2013, 02:26 PM

To sit in that dump and watch rubbish:grr:

LancashireHibby
24-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Just on my way back from a meeting in London where, shall we say, this was on the agenda. To say there's no chance of it happening is an understatement, but there is definitely a big concern amongst clubs of declining attendances and pricing fans out, so hopefully it's on the agenda for similar SPL meetings.

Iggy Pope
24-01-2013, 05:13 PM

You wouldn't watch a pish Hibs? When did this happen? I watched plenty of pish alongside you for a tad more than a fiver.
And who or what the **** are the 'Capitals'?
I hope you got that half season.

Iggy Pope
24-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Hibs fans complain about plenty so I reckon 40 or 50 quid wouldnt sit too favourably.

Rodders would be unhappy enough ripping out good seating to make standing places available so don't get your hopes up about 2 or 3 thousand tickets becoming cheaper. There is no way that an increase in crowds due to introducing a standing section/cheaper ticket would negate the drop in income from reducing those prices....even by increasing other prices like centre stand again.

I'd be delighted if we did have standing areas and cheaper tickets. I would continue using a seat but I want others to be given the choice especially when it may improve the atmosphere. Just being realistic here.

@Jpdhfc - the match ticket always covers travel in the city for a good few hours before and after the game and in some instances in that region as well. Dortmund ticket allows regional transport use such as train from Duesseldorf airport which is about an hours journey.

Slightly off topic, but the Germans make it easier to buy tickets too. You can pick up a ticket for Hertha when you are picking up the apple stroodle in Lidl. We need some of that thinking here to get more spenders / tourists / passers by on our database.

nonshinyfinish
24-01-2013, 05:41 PM

Baws, beat me to it.

Hibercelona
24-01-2013, 06:23 PM

First thing that jumped into my head the moment I saw the thread title. :tee hee:

I'd rather they made it £19 or £21 just so we don't give people another reason to use that extremely annoying phrase that doesn't rhyme! :grr:

HiBremian
24-01-2013, 09:15 PM
First thing that jumped into my head the moment I saw the thread title. :tee hee:

I'd rather they made it £19 or £21 just so we don't give people another reason to use that extremely annoying phrase that doesn't rhyme! :grr:

So how about "nineteen'll save your wee'n"?:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2013, 09:34 PM
I think the price is a big problem in attracting NEW customers, and has put off old ones too. I speak to folk down here in Blackpool about supporting their team, and a lot of them blame the price.

Once you have the bug it is very difficult to stop, but i firmly believe there is a ceiling that SOME folk wont and cant go above.

Once you lose those its very very difficult to get them back, and with prices never going to come down its going to be more and more difficult to attract them back?

Of course they will mostly come back for one off big games, but as we have seen recently they disappear the week after.

Maybe i'm wrong but dont think so, and cant see a solution to the problem? :dunno:

Hibercelona
24-01-2013, 09:45 PM
I think the price is a big problem in attracting NEW customers, and has put off old ones too. I speak to folk down here in Blackpool about supporting their team, and a lot of them blame the price.

Once you have the bug it is very difficult to stop, but i firmly believe there is a ceiling that SOME folk wont and cant go above.

Once you lose those its very very difficult to get them back, and with prices never going to come down its going to be more and more difficult to attract them back?

Of course they will mostly come back for one off big games, but as we have seen recently they disappear the week after.

Maybe i'm wrong but dont think so, and cant see a solution to the problem? :dunno:

I think that in order to find a solution to the problem, we must first understand the problem.

Prices being too much isn't the problem itself, its a result of the problem.

Football clubs are spending far too much on "the next big signing", when they should be putting more focus on their youth setups.