PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Hibs Red Cards

Purple & Green
24-01-2013, 11:20 AM
As the unseen work on ihibs/fitbastats continues, I'm starting to try and put together a complete list of hibs sendings off over the years.

What ones do you remember? What ones were you're favourites? I'm particularly keen on recollections prior to 1996.

Off the top of my head, Gordon Rae's v ****s at DebtCastle when Archie scored sticks in my mind.

Bobby Thomson's which resulted in the long ban is another one - mind boggling.

Waxy
24-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Super joe against man utd. Poor wee Gordon

Golden Bear
24-01-2013, 11:31 AM

:agree:

That's a difficult one to beat. I remember the stunned silence from the crowd - it was definitely a collective wtf moment.

:greengrin

hibeequinn
24-01-2013, 11:35 AM
it's not 1996 but shiels against the yams after he scored the penalty.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

adhibs
24-01-2013, 11:40 AM
another later one, sproule in that semi.

Pretty Boy
24-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Dave Beaumont when he took one for the team and hauled down Wayne Foster in the Scottish Cup and made sure we got a replay.

Oh wait......

JollyGreenGiant
24-01-2013, 11:45 AM
What about Keith Houchen after being fouled, getting up, chasing the perpetrator and kicking him up the backside (St.Johnstone away I think)Was raging at the time, as I think we got beat, but looking back its quite amusing now.

Skanko79
24-01-2013, 11:50 AM
always hate seeing our players red carded but the best ive seen at ER was souness getting sent off.

hibeequinn
24-01-2013, 11:52 AM
another later one, sproule in that semi.

was that the stamp on miko lithuianius.

DaveF
24-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Not the time line you are looking for but Uli Laursen's red card for having the temerity to let the ball hit his hand as he was lying down in the box.

Sent off, penalty to the (now deceased) huns.

DaveF
24-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Some of our older posters must remember Willie Miller or Roy Aitken sending off a few Hibs players in years gone by :greengrin

They were 2 of the best referee's when I was growing up.

wfortune
24-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Willie Miller catching the ball at Dunfermline as it was going over the sideline.
2nd yellow and off

Tom Hart RIP
24-01-2013, 11:58 AM
From memory. ST Johnstone took a corner which hit Arthur Duncan who went down injured. Play went on for a couple of minutes and everyone forgot about him, including the Hibs defence who tried to play John Brogan offside at the halfway line.
Brogan who later played for us looked about 10 yards offside when he collected the ball but Arthur was playing him on. He ran through and scored.
Bobby Thompson went mental and run towards the linesman. Several Hibs players tried to stop him but he brushed them aside. When he reached the linesman he pushed him hard on both shoulders almost knocking him into the old enclosure.
It was one of the few sendings off that none if us could complain about.
I think he was banned for about 6 months.
Hope my memory is correct.

Peevemor
24-01-2013, 12:03 PM
As the unseen work on ihibs/fitbastats continues, I'm starting to try and put together a complete list of hibs sendings off over the years.

What ones do you remember? What ones were you're favourites? I'm particularly keen on recollections prior to 1996.

Off the top of my head, Gordon Rae's v ****s at DebtCastle when Archie scored sticks in my mind.

Yogi was also sent off at Tynie (his derby debut) for ruffling Stéphane Paille's hair. Paille went down as if he'd been shot but later, after been shown up as a cheat on TV, explained that Hughes had scared him into falling down. The match ended 0-0 IIRC.

Edit - sorry - I think that was 1997.

easty
24-01-2013, 12:10 PM
another after 1996

Brebners red in the game we got the winner from O'Connor. The fact we were unfairly down to 10 just made the winner so much sweeter!

adhibs
24-01-2013, 12:12 PM
was that the stamp on miko lithuianius.

aye, atleast it showed that someone on the park was hurting

Bighoose
24-01-2013, 12:15 PM

One of the best red cards. And in a testimonial too,..... has anyone else ever been sent off in a testimonial?

Hiber-nation
24-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Alex Edwards lying prone on the deck in the middle of a ruck of players then jumping up and lamping Diddy MacDonald in a midweek game against the huns around 73ish.

I recall John Blackley sent off at ibrox round about that time....can't remember what for.

RoscoHibby
24-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Again, not really from your timeline....

But few years ago, 3 down I think at parkhead, McGeady is past the midfield and going to start running at the defence. Until Ian Murray just blootered him into the air. As much of a 100% red as you'll ever see.

Bukta#8
24-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Here's one for all the statos out there , who was our worst red card offender ? Can think of a few who perhaps got 3 or 4ie Chico,Jackson,geebsy,lamp, deeks but no one springs to mind when thinking about 6-7 thoughts

Golden Bear
24-01-2013, 12:31 PM
One of the best red cards. And in a testimonial too,..... has anyone else ever been sent off in a testimonial?

Strange you should mention that.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/scottish-football-non-legends-no-13-joe-tortolano-as-legacies-go-joe-tortolano-s-time-at-hibernian-can-be-summed-up-by-one-aweinspiring-statistic-the-world-record-for-a-sending-off-in-a-testimonial-1.24267

archiebald
24-01-2013, 12:39 PM
few years back Pat Stanton sticking one on Alan Evans (pars & aston villa)

GraniteCityHibs
24-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Willie Miller catching the ball at Dunfermline as it was going over the sideline.
2nd yellow and off

I was just away to ask if that actually happened!

I remember seeing it on the Scotsport highlights or whatever and thinking that I had no idea what was going on. It seemed so odd an inexplicable.

I'm just glad someone confirmed that it actually happened and I hadn't dreamt it.

Devonhibs
24-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Bobby Thomson in the 80's, ran fully from one side of the pitch to a linesman in front of the old stand and pushed him over ending up in a six month ban. He was a bit short fused and I remember he had a Bobby Smith like hairdo - if I remember correctly?

Mr White
24-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Another recent one- Kevin Mcbride blootering the ball at lafferty from no distance in the first game the new east was open. Both sent off but was good to see KL take a sore one.

JimBHibees
24-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Dave Beaumont when he took one for the team and hauled down Wayne Foster in the Scottish Cup and made sure we got a replay.

Oh wait......

Aint that the truth. :rolleyes:

Magnifique
24-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Remember fondly Latapy getting sent off when we were in first division, I think it was at Hamilton or might even have been at Particks ground against Hamilton, ref sent him off but he wouldn't leave the technical area, eventually he moved away but kept hiding around the stand rather than go down tunnel was very funny

Feel free to remind me exactly how it was my old memory ain't great

Squealing pig
24-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Willie miller at Dunfermline stupidest red card I've seen period.

MartinfaePorty
24-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Gareth Evans v Partick Thistle. Last game of the season at ER, Evans and David Irons (IIRC) have a wee tussle. Nothing much in it, game meant nothing and David Syme decides he is going to send them both off. Absolutely ridiculous decision even without the context of it being an end of season fixture. One other one came to mind: Barry Lavety in the 1st Division. Came on as a sub and got sent off in around 10 minutes against, I think, Clydebank at Boghead. Captured in all its glory on Football First. Not sure if he played again.

P.S. Off topic: bring back Football First (but without Derek 'so wooden he gives trees a bad name' Johnstone).

Future17
24-01-2013, 02:08 PM
David Elliot against the Zombies at Ibrox in 1997 - a pure, unadulterated, licentious footballing atrocity of a tackle.

Also walked off after the red card smiling to himself in a manner that Archie Mac called "devilishly wicked" or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMfGhuAbkLs

hibs0666
24-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Dunno it it's already been mentioned by Paco Luna's headed goal for which he got sent off at ER against the huns still sticks in my haed/craw.

superfurryhibby
24-01-2013, 02:28 PM
David Elliot against the Zombies at Ibrox in 1997 - a pure, unadulterated, licentious footballing atrocity of a tackle.

Also walked off after the red card smiling to himself in a manner that Archie Mac called "devilishly wicked" or something like that.

That was a shocker!

I liked the McBride one with Lafferty that has been mentioned but as for Joe T's against WGSm shouldn't that be filed under most embarrassing and unecessary?

HibernianJK
24-01-2013, 02:29 PM
not a sending off s such but paddy giving it the 'girfuy' to the yams is may. a funny moment in an otherwise horrible day:not worth

Iggy Pope
24-01-2013, 03:16 PM

That was one to cherish. I think it may have been Derek McInnes receiving?

Hillsidehibby
24-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Alex Edwards lying prone on the deck in the middle of a ruck of players then jumping up and lamping Diddy MacDonald in a midweek game against the huns around 73ish.

I recall John Blackley sent off at ibrox round about that time....can't remember what for.

If I remember correctly he asked the linesman what Orange Lodge he belonged to when another decision went in favour of Der Hun.

JeMeSouviens
24-01-2013, 03:35 PM
There's a bit of a theme of extremely dodgy red cards vs the Huns developing here. (Quelle suprise :rolleyes:). The Laursen one mentioned above remains the worst refereeing decision I've seen in person.

Another one: Gordon Hunter sent off at Ibrox sometime in the mid 90s for being rugby tackled by Mark Hateley.

Cabbage East
24-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Anyone mind Theo Snelders give Keith Keith Keith a topper of a right hook at Easter Road in the early 90's? Penalty, straight red, can't mind if we scored or no

lyonhibs
24-01-2013, 04:01 PM

Strewth!! That is an abysmal tackle. If the Ibrox turf had been firmer, they'd probably still be finding shards of bone now!!

Not for us, but against. Crab Fergushun for a 2nd yellow, having been tortured by an on-form Kevin Thomson all game. '05/06 IIRC.

One of the most enjoyable renditions of "Cheerio cheerio cheerio" I've been involved in.

CropleyWasGod
24-01-2013, 04:16 PM
King Paddy at Muirton.... late 60's?

Alex Macdonald had been kicking lumps out of folk all day. Pat took revenge. Off.

MartinfaePorty
24-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Anyone mind Theo Snelders give Keith Keith Keith a topper of a right hook at Easter Road in the early 90's? Penalty, straight red, can't mind if we scored or no

If my memory is correct, Pat McGinlay hit the ball straight at Brian Irvine, who had replaced Snelders in goal. The usually reliable Jim Bett then blasted another penalty over the bar at the Dunbar End, before Danny Lennon scored in the 90th minute to give us a 1-0 win. Enjoyed that, as Snelders was a hate figure at ER after his assault on Paul Kane in a League Cup tie when he only received a yellow, before performing a mircale save from the free-kick. After being sent off he booted the ball straight out the stadium and down Albion Road. Me and my mates still laugh about it to this day.

Hiber-nation
24-01-2013, 04:45 PM
That was one to cherish. I think it may have been Derek McInnes receiving?

It was indeed....and probably the only tackle Elliot made in his time at ER.

Mr White
24-01-2013, 04:46 PM
If my memory is correct, Pat McGinlay hit the ball straight at Brian Irvine, who had replaced Snelders in goal. The usually reliable Jim Bett then blasted another penalty over the bar at the Dunbar End, before Danny Lennon scored in the 90th minute to give us a 1-0 win. Enjoyed that, as Snelders was a hate figure at ER after his assault on Paul Kane in a League Cup tie when he only received a yellow, before performing a mircale save from the free-kick. After being sent off he booted the ball straight out the stadium and down Albion Road. Me and my mates still laugh about it to this day.
I don't remember the penalties or red card from that game but Lennons goal is the only hibs goal I've ever missed by leaving early. Me and my dad had seasons in the centre stand and the club had announced there would be a fire drill in the stand after full time. We didn't fancy being delayed and I have a really vivid memory of folk celebrating the goal in the cowshed as we walked past towards hawkhill.

Hiber-nation
24-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Dermot McCaffrey away to Aberdeen. Could he be the only Hibs player to be sent off in his only game for the club?

Pretty Boy
24-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Remember Jim Leighton being sent off away to Motherwell in the 90s.

Raced about 40 yards out his goal and either handballed or took the player clean out, can't remember which, and got a straight red.

Andy Millen went in goals with us 1 up and we held on until about 10 minutes to go when we conceded a late equaliser. Think Jocky Scott was caretaker at the time.

Players showed a fair bit character that day.

Baldy Foghorn
24-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Even though we won both games, Rae at Piggery and Brebner at home vs merricks always rattle me.....

The Tortolano one on WGS was surreal, the first minute of a testimonial, nobody could quite believe it....

Willie Miller at East End Park was another surreal one, for handling the ball above head height as ball was going out for throw in.....

Ulrik Laursen having the audacity to be fouled then getting ball blootered at him, earning him a red was genius from the ref....Boozy IIRC getting a hun's laces caught in his studs, earning a second yellow......

Sure there are more but my memory is not how it should be......One that never got a red, but still amazes me, is Neil Berry going in on Paul Wright, I swear his studs hit PW in the chest.....Still can't fathom that one out.....

Golden Bear
24-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Dermot McCaffrey away to Aberdeen. Could he be the only Hibs player to be sent off in his only game for the club?

Jeez how on earth did you remember that?

On a similar theme was Craig Burley not sent off after about 20 minutes in his debut game for Dundee v Hibs? In fact that may have been his one and only game for Dundee?

Hiber-nation
24-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Jeez how on earth did you remember that?

On a similar theme was Craig Burley not sent off after about 20 minutes in his debut game for Dundee v Hibs? In fact that may have been his one and only game for Dundee?

I remember the Burley one, it was on Tam McManus, I think Burley was almost trying to get sent off as I think it dawned on him that day that he was finished as a player.

No idea how Dermot McCaffrey came to me!

JeMeSouviens
24-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Raced about 40 yards out his goal and either handballed or took the player clean out, can't remember which, and got a straight red.

Andy Millen went in goals with us 1 up and we held on until about 10 minutes to go when we conceded a late equaliser. Think Jocky Scott was caretaker at the time.

It was a handball. Jocky Scott was on crutches, threw them away in disgust and nearly fell over. I was in Motherwell hospitality for that game. Got some very harsh stares for celebrating Kevin Harper's goal. Had him as first scorer at 16/1. :wink:

hibby72
24-01-2013, 05:21 PM
souness first game ...lol rae crunching foster at easter rd ,put him into advertising boards .cant remember if he got red card ....class:flag::flag::thumbsup::greengrin

nribs
24-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Did John O'Neil not get sent of at Ibrox for getting his studs stuck in Albertz boot laces?

gringojoe
24-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Jackie McNamara getting two reds in one game from Joe Timmons at Love Street. Timmons was the Craig Thomson of his day.

Speedy
24-01-2013, 06:05 PM

What a terrible team that was!

Hibernian: McNeil, Martis, Hogg, McCaffrey, McCann, Shiels (Benjelloun 59), Lynch, Chisholm, Stevenson, Gray (Beuzelin 59), Zemmama (Sproule 59). Subs Not Used: Simon Brown, Whittaker, Sowunmi, Campbell.

Sent Off: Lynch (52), McCaffrey (89).

Booked: McCaffrey, Chisholm, McNeil, Hogg.

Goals: Gray 19, Shiels 44.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6574321.stm

Mr White
24-01-2013, 06:08 PM

Hibernian: McNeil, Martis, Hogg, McCaffrey, McCann, Shiels (Benjelloun 59), Lynch, Chisholm, Stevenson, Gray (Beuzelin 59), Zemmama (Sproule 59). Subs Not Used: Simon Brown, Whittaker, Sowunmi, Campbell.

Collins rested a few players for the semi v the pars the following weekend IIRC.
Edit I don't RC, was for the replay midweek. Just read the article.

Billy Whizz
24-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Strangely enough we played well that day, and passed Aberdeen off the park

Saorsa
24-01-2013, 06:23 PM
always hate seeing our players red carded but the best ive seen at ER was souness getting sent off.:agree: and back in the good auld days of nae seats. And your post gives me an excuse tae post this video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYjSyWIli0E

heidtheba
24-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Bit off topic here but the saddest red card I ever saw was us against (I think) Airdrie back in '94/95.
I'd started going to Hibs games the previous year and knew sod all about football. My mate and introducer to all things Hibby's partner was good friends with Tommy McIntyre's sister. I'd heard all good things about Tommy and the cup final but hadn't seen him play as he was injured most of my first year watching the team, chuck in the stories about his play and his gentlemanly approach to football and I had a real sense of disappointment that I'd never seen him play. The first match I did see him in was this cup game against Airdrie. He came on to a really big round of applause but was sent off towards the end - lots of chants of off off off etc and I remember looking at my mate and feeling quite sad for a man who I had always heard such positives about. Tommy looked gutted too.

Fife-Hibee
24-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Sowunmi" was that the one that played for Falkirk :-)

silverhibee
24-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Even though we won both games, Rae at Piggery and Brebner at home vs merricks always rattle me.....

The Tortolano one on WGS was surreal, the first minute of a testimonial, nobody could quite believe it....

Willie Miller at East End Park was another surreal one, for handling the ball above head height as ball was going out for throw in.....

Ulrik Laursen having the audacity to be fouled then getting ball blootered at him, earning him a red was genius from the ref....Boozy IIRC getting a hun's laces caught in his studs, earning a second yellow......

Sure there are more but my memory is not how it should be......One that never got a red, but still amazes me, is Neil Berry going in on Paul Wright, I swear his studs hit PW in the chest.....Still can't fathom that one out.....

Scott Mcdonald on David Van Zanten at darkheid, horrific tackle, how the ref never gave a red that day i will never know.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/hibs-star-david-van-zanten-995557

OxoHibby
24-01-2013, 07:21 PM
got to be joe tortolano in gordon raes testimonial. so completely unnecessary it was funny

Mark79
24-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Got to be brebners v the **** at easter road.result was the bonus of that.

thekaratekid
24-01-2013, 07:25 PM

That's a difficult one to beat. I remember the stunned silence from the crowd - it was definitely a collective wtf moment.

I was at the club to see Gary O'Hagan and I saw a paper clipping on the wall in the office about the sending off.

It was my first ever Hibs game and I hadn't even got into the ground when this happened so I asked Gary about it.

Apparently George Smith had a FIFA delegate in the stand assessing his performance so he felt he had no other choice but to send Tortolano off! Must be one of the very few reds that have been shown during a testimonial.

Bishop Hibee
24-01-2013, 07:36 PM
What about Keith Houchen after being fouled, getting up, chasing the perpetrator and kicking him up the backside (St.Johnstone away I think)Was raging at the time, as I think we got beat, but looking back its quite amusing now.

It was Tommy Turner who can only be generously described as "niggly". Scottish Cup tie in Perth in 1991 I think. Brian Hamilton scored a cracker to put us 1 up, Houchy got sent off, they equalised and Roddy Grant, a jambo, scored the winner in the 90th minute. I was ragin' along with the other 6K Hibs fans there. Sure there was another incident with Turner but can't recall what it was.

Broken Gnome
24-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Killen v Rangers is quite a credible one. Score twice against them, make sure the games won, then take no crap off them.

miller99
24-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Ian Murray on Aiden McGeady at Celtic park . Always makes me laugh. He had no chance of catching him.

--------
24-01-2013, 09:26 PM

If I remember correctly he asked the linesman what Orange Lodge he belonged to when another decision went in favour of Der Hun.

No, I think it might have been the day John "Submarine" MacDonald went down in the box at Ibrox. Bobby Davidson was the referee, and he gave the penalty to his beloved Rangers. The story was that Sloop had fouled him, which needless to say was not so.

Sloop was so peeved about it that a wee while later he went through MacDonald comprehensively - sent him base over tip six feet in the air and down again with a thump you could have heard in Leith.

Davidson blows the whistle but Sloop's already walking off before the Hun can get his notebook and pencil out.

MacDonald followed a few minutes later - horizontal on a stretcher. :devil:

Purple & Green
24-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Blackley was sent off at ibrox on the Saturday after the hadjuk split game - after the only goal scored by rangers was clearly offside.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Deek's karate move on Skacel a couple of years ago must be up there.

I often dream about replicating that. :aok:

If you're going to get sent off, you might as well do it in style!

--------
24-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Blackley was sent off at ibrox on the Saturday after the hadjuk split game - after the only goal scored by rangers was clearly offside.

That was the game I was thinking of.

I thought it was a pen, but the game I'm thinking of ended 1-0 and I had it in my mind it was MacDonald Sloop upended.

You're surely right - my memory ain't what it was. I know that there was something radically wrong with the Rangers goal.

jdships
24-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Erich Schadler at Dunfermline ( can't remember the year , sorry) when he ran about fifteen yards with only one idea in his head - to put the guy into 'Row Z' in the stand .
Told me later the guy had been 'sledging ' him all afternoon and he had had enough !!

Hibeesforever
24-01-2013, 10:15 PM
always hate seeing our players red carded but the best ive seen at ER was souness getting sent off.

I saw that one, absolute folklore. Souness Rangers revival, Hibs win and Rangers thuggery as they mean to go on.

Before my time but would have loved to have seen Alex Edwards "walk over" Alex McDonald on his way to the tunnel at Ibrox!

Future17
24-01-2013, 10:23 PM
It was indeed....and probably the only tackle Elliot made in his time at ER.

To be fair to Elliot, he was useless, but I don't think you can charge him with that!

Or did you mean only tackle that he made where he got someone? :greengrin

IIRC, he also took a red in a game against Well at ER for an attempted assasination of Simo Valikari. I think it happened in the first 10 mins and we still won 1-0!

Hiber-nation
24-01-2013, 11:32 PM
To be fair to Elliot, he was useless, but I don't think you can charge him with that!

Or did you mean only tackle that he made where he got someone? :greengrin

IIRC, he also took a red in a game against Well at ER for an attempted assasination of Simo Valikari. I think it happened in the first 10 mins and we still won 1-0!

Can't really remember that one or any other indiscretions but I did recall Elliot as being slightly better than McQuilken which isn't saying much!

Iggy Pope
24-01-2013, 11:32 PM
No, I think it might have been the day John "Submarine" MacDonald went down in the box at Ibrox. Bobby Davidson was the referee, and he gave the penalty to his beloved Rangers. The story was that Sloop had fouled him, which needless to say was not so.

Sloop was so peeved about it that a wee while later he went through MacDonald comprehensively - sent him base over tip six feet in the air and down again with a thump you could have heard in Leith.

Davidson blows the whistle but Sloop's already walking off before the Hun can get his notebook and pencil out.

MacDonald followed a few minutes later - horizontal on a stretcher. :devil:

Doddie you've made this mistake before. Sloop and John MacDonal were different eras and it was the much maligned Benny Brazil who never fouled him. And it was at Easter Road. Just saying.

Future17
25-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Can't really remember that one or any other indiscretions but I did recall Elliot as being slightly better than McQuilken which isn't saying much!

Thank God we had Rab Shannon. :greengrin

--------
25-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Doddie you've made this mistake before. Sloop and John MacDonal were different eras and it was the much maligned Benny Brazil who never fouled him. And it was at Easter Road. Just saying.

Oh dear. Time to put me away, I think. :rolleyes:

Holmesdale Hibs
25-01-2013, 12:17 PM
McGeady for diving was good.

Going back a bit I remember Theo Schnelders was sent off for pinching Keith Wright. McIntyre missed the penalty but Danny Lennon scored the winner in the 90-something minute.

Scott Brown winding up Balde and jankowskis (sp?) and getting them sent off were good as well.

Future17
25-01-2013, 12:31 PM
McGeady for diving was good.

Going back a bit I remember Theo Schnelders was sent off for pinching Keith Wright. McIntyre missed the penalty but Danny Lennon scored the winner in the 90-something minute.

Scott Brown winding up Balde and jankowskis (sp?) and getting them sent off were good as well.

Ooo-er. :embarrass:cb:hug::slipper:

Paisley Hibby
25-01-2013, 06:34 PM
The JT sending off in the Gordon Rae testimonial is the clear winner for me. However, another that sticks in my memory was Beastie McCluskey in the late 80s. A mid week game at Easter Road against Dundee Utd (I think). It was one of those typical Dundee Utd games of the period where they tried to bore everyone to death with endless pass backs and the offside trap. Every time Beastie went for the ball he was being challenged illegally by a Utd defender and every time the ref was conned into given a foul against him. The Hibs fans were getting more and more frustrated with this and eventually Beastie lost it, just in front of the old enclosure, and went through the Utd player. He didn't even wait for the red card he just walked straight to the tunnel to big appluase...

At least that's how I remember it.

Golden Bear
25-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm convinced that big Colin Nish got himself deliberately sent off at Kilmarnock a few years ago. He had been getting dogs abuse from the Hibs support ( when he was a Hibs player) and he must have decided enough was enough and chose an early bath to escape any further aggravation.

Broken Gnome
25-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm convinced that big Colin Nish got himself deliberately sent off at Kilmarnock a few years ago. He had been getting dogs abuse from the Hibs support ( when he was a Hibs player) and he must have decided enough was enough and chose an early bath to escape any further aggravation.

That was at Hamilton. I always thought Hughes kept him on just so he wouldn't get pelters as he walked off. He was that useless that day. He then repaid his manager's kindness by getting himself sent off and taking an even bigger walk of shame.

Golden Bear
25-01-2013, 06:53 PM
That was at Hamilton. I always thought Hughes kept him on just so he wouldn't get pelters as he walked off. He was that useless that day. He then repaid his manager's kindness by getting himself sent off and taking an even bigger walk of shame.

Really! That's worrying! I remember it was at the start of the season and the weather was glorious. I think!

IberianHibernian
25-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Remember Jackie McNamara being sent off late in League Cup QF at Cappielaw ( remember it because he was several metres from ball and walked without even looking at ref ) . we were lsoing 1vo so it was worth it as we won 2v0 in second leg in debut of 2 Norwegians . In 1986 we played Sevilla in home and away friendlies both of which were anything but friendly . At ER in August , ref finished match early after a couple of Sevilla players were redcarded and I remember Kano was sent off in return in December for a tackle he`d probably been waiting 4 months for . How many times have we finished with 9 or less players ? I think we finished with 9 in a Derby at Tynecastle in 70s ( but still got a very late equaliser - not Pat Stanton one ) .

O'Rourke3
25-01-2013, 08:11 PM
The JT sending off in the Gordon Rae testimonial is the clear winner for me. However, another that sticks in my memory was Beastie McCluskey in the late 80s. A mid week game at Easter Road against Dundee Utd (I think). It was one of those typical Dundee Utd games of the period where they tried to bore everyone to death with endless pass backs and the offside trap. Every time Beastie went for the ball he was being challenged illegally by a Utd defender and every time the ref was conned into given a foul against him. The Hibs fans were getting more and more frustrated with this and eventually Beastie lost it, just in front of the old enclosure, and went through the Utd player. He didn't even wait for the red card he just walked straight to the tunnel to big appluase...

At least that's how I remember it.

I was going to mention this one too. Andy Watson was also sent off for Hibs and it was Andy Goram's second game for us. We went to the main stand as we had a United fan from work who wanted to come to the game who gave United pelters all night because they were one up against 9 and simply kept the ball in their half. My memory of Beastie's sending off was he raised his fist and grabbed the hacking bastit by the throat. The ref was Louis Thow and he never ever gave Hibs a decision

Iggy Pope
25-01-2013, 08:14 PM

St Johnstone, no? The midweek debacle.

Argylehibby
25-01-2013, 08:42 PM
I was going to mention this one too. Andy Watson was also sent off for Hibs and it was Andy Goram's second game for us. We went to the main stand as we had a United fan from work who wanted to come to the game who gave United pelters all night because they were one up against 9 and simply kept the ball in their half. My memory of Beastie's sending off was he raised his fist and grabbed the hacking bastit by the throat. The ref was Louis Thow and he never ever gave Hibs a decision

:agree: That's how I remember it too. 28/10/87 the day my first daughter was born.

Another red that's not been mentioned was Deeks at Parkhead. They had put in 2 or 3 dreadful tackles that were all straight reds any day of the week and then Deeks has a nothing challenge and he's sent off.

Billy Whizz
25-01-2013, 09:37 PM
:agree: That's how I remember it too. 28/10/87 the day my first daughter was born.

Another red that's not been mentioned was Deeks at Parkhead. They had put in 2 or 3 dreadful tackles that were all straight reds any day of the week and then Deeks has a nothing challenge and he's sent off.

It was on Jackie McNamara and I ripped into him for making a meal of it. I think we lost 5-0 if my memory serves me well!

Baldy Foghorn
26-01-2013, 12:44 AM
St Johnstone, no? The midweek debacle.

Nish was sent off at Hamilton, some of our fans cheered......

miller99
26-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Nish was sent off at Hamilton, some of our fans cheered......

Remember that game well. We were awful. It was the only things we cheered that day.

Pete
26-01-2013, 03:07 AM
:agree: and back in the good auld days of nae seats. And your post gives me an excuse tae post this video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYjSyWIli0E

I'm afraid these are the bad old days Dan. The East isn't a place where radges congregate any more as there is no room for them in the modern game as they use bad language and gesture towards opposing fans and players.
Mondeo man, his wife and his 2.4 kids are the priority now in every part of the ground. Pizza slices and foam hands all round!:rolleyes:

The best card was Deano's at Tynecastle. It probably cost us the game but it was worth it just for the bizzareness!

I remember O'Neill getting sent off at the same ground for kicking out at a hearts player (I think it was Hearts and O'Neill:confused:). He used the excuse that he got his laces caught in the other guys boot.

Awright then:tee hee:

Just_Jimmy
26-01-2013, 04:15 AM
Bamba on his debut.

Luna in sauzees debut as managed af dufermline for spitting.

Gary smith at the piggery

Boozy against the hun for having his shirt pulled i think.

Zibi? I remember brown coming off the bench. Cant recall who against.

heretoday
26-01-2013, 05:14 AM
I say old chap. I do remember Cormack getting sent off for a violent assault on a Hearts man. Veitch I believe. 0-0 was the result. We were all there!

Crossgates Hibs
26-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Not seen it mentioned but did McCormack no get sent off for head butting some yam idiot who niggled away at him, or am I mistaken and he just got booked?

Off the bar
26-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I remember Brebner getting sent off v well at ER late 90's in a game that finished 10 v 9. Well were already down to 9 when Brebner came on as a sub flew in with a brute of a challenge within a minute and got sent off! Well should have finished with 8 as macfadyn complete with **** rat tail stamped on tam McManus.

O'Rourke3
26-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Bamba on his debut.

Other way about vs Celtic at ER . Zibi came on and saved the pen. At the time I thought that might turn his fortune round, ah the folly of youth.....

kaimendhibs
26-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Again, not really from your timeline....

But few years ago, 3 down I think at parkhead, McGeady is past the midfield and going to start running at the defence. Until Ian Murray just blootered him into the air. As much of a 100% red as you'll ever see.

That was a belter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purple & Green
05-02-2013, 10:48 AM
From memory. ST Johnstone took a corner which hit Arthur Duncan who went down injured. Play went on for a couple of minutes and everyone forgot about him, including the Hibs defence who tried to play John Brogan offside at the halfway line.
Brogan who later played for us looked about 10 yards offside when he collected the ball but Arthur was playing him on. He ran through and scored.
Bobby Thompson went mental and run towards the linesman. Several Hibs players tried to stop him but he brushed them aside. When he reached the linesman he pushed him hard on both shoulders almost knocking him into the old enclosure.
It was one of the few sendings off that none if us could complain about.
I think he was banned for about 6 months.
Hope my memory is correct.

That's pretty much it - see attached match report edit: I'm apparently too thick to add the match report, but it pretty much confirms everything you say

Here's one for all the statos out there , who was our worst red card offender ? Can think of a few who perhaps got 3 or 4ie Chico,Jackson,geebsy,lamp, deeks but no one springs to mind when thinking about 6-7 thoughts

I suspect Jackie McNamara might be in there too - I've now got a more or less complete list back to 1986, I'll post here once I've got a complete list back to the war

few years back Pat Stanton sticking one on Alan Evans (pars & aston villa)

16/8/75 Headline in the Evening Times that day was "Fighting Fans Angry Players"

Bobby Thomson in the 80's, ran fully from one side of the pitch to a linesman in front of the old stand and pushed him over ending up in a six month ban. He was a bit short fused and I remember he had a Bobby Smith like hairdo - if I remember correctly?

see above

King Paddy at Muirton.... late 60's?

Alex Macdonald had been kicking lumps out of folk all day. Pat took revenge. Off.

Still trying to find this one, will track it down

Bamba did too

Funnily enough, I was speaking to the player he took out the other day through business - it was John Hendry who had come to Well from Spurs. I think it might be the only time Leighton was sent off in his career.

Jackie McNamara getting two reds in one game from Joe Timmons at Love Street. Timmons was the Craig Thomson of his day.

Still trying to find the match report for this one, quite a collection to work through.

Youngest ever Hibs team - http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_records_age.php which perhaps explains the indiscipline

Remember Jackie McNamara being sent off late in League Cup QF at Cappielaw ( remember it because he was several metres from ball and walked without even looking at ref ) . we were lsoing 1vo so it was worth it as we won 2v0 in second leg in debut of 2 Norwegians . In 1986 we played Sevilla in home and away friendlies both of which were anything but friendly . At ER in August , ref finished match early after a couple of Sevilla players were redcarded and I remember Kano was sent off in return in December for a tackle he`d probably been waiting 4 months for . How many times have we finished with 9 or less players ? I think we finished with 9 in a Derby at Tynecastle in 70s ( but still got a very late equaliser - not Pat Stanton one ) .

9 players v Celtic (Sauzee & Lovering), Rangers (Laursen & McManus), Motherwell (Brebner & Murdock), Hearts (Sproule & Smith), Kilmarnock (Malkowski & Murphy), Falkirk (Thomson & Brown), Aberdeen (Lynch & McCaffrey), Aberdeen (Gathuessi & Nish), Celtic (Murray & Canning)

Further back - Partick (Tweed & Tortolano), Airdie (Milne & Burridge), St Johnstone (Houchen & Cooper)

Bamba on his debut.

Killie as above - ref was Alan Freeland, suprise surprise.

Thanks for all the contribs, plenty to look into further and will post when site is updated. If anyone has any info recorded 1986 backwards I'd love to see it.

Hiber-nation
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Brilliant stuff, cheers :thumbsup:

Rivers Cuomo
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Gary Smith booting the ball off Caniggia, League Cup QF, 3-2 v the Huns

Fergus52
05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Another recent one- Kevin Mcbride blootering the ball at lafferty from no distance in the first game the new east was open. Both sent off but was good to see KL take a sore one.

I remember that, the ball was still in play as the whistle hadn't been blown yet.

So technically he shouldn't really have been sent off.

Fergus52
05-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Other way about vs Celtic at ER . Zibi came on and saved the pen. At the time I thought that might turn his fortune round, ah the folly of youth.....

Zibbi definitely got sent off at Killie, was the last game of the season and was meaningless, but the ref was dreadful and made some ridiculous calls.

The ref sent him off for making glasses around his eyes whilst shouting at him, was pretty stupid but funny.

Wing Half
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
John Blackley kung fu kick on Bowman early doors at ER mid 80s.

steviej147
05-02-2013, 08:07 PM
the best one i saw was at the pbs when jackson stuck one on tosh mckinlay as players were waiting to come on to the pitch at start of match .didnt even make it onto the park:not worth

Hibbykk
05-02-2013, 10:01 PM

John McNamee at Rugby Park mid sixtys. Elbowed, kneed and battered by Carl Bertleson for most of the game, turned round decked him and walked off, class!!:flag:

stantonhibby
05-02-2013, 10:21 PM
John McNamee at Rugby Park mid sixtys. Elbowed, kneed and battered by Carl Bertleson for most of the game, turned round decked him and walked off, class!!:flag:

Did Arpinon not get sent off for spitting? Dens park I think?

lbouncer
06-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Darren McCormacks headbutt and Riordans tackle on the rat were both :top marks

Steven Fletchers red card for a tackle on Berra was another dodgy one if I remember correctly?

LaMotta
06-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Zibbi definitely got sent off at Killie, was the last game of the season and was meaningless, but the ref was dreadful and made some ridiculous calls.

The ref sent him off for making glasses around his eyes whilst shouting at him, was pretty stupid but funny.

:agree: Alan Freeland was the ref, and Fletcher scored for Hibs, but feked If i can remember what the score was :greengrin

Freeland lost the plot that day, a familiar site, as we were to witness again a couple of months later against Falkirk at ER.

Mixu62
06-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Anyone remember Graham Mitchell's right hook at Tannadice? Seem to remember we played better without him too!