PDA

View Full Version : Harry Swan

Miguel
21-01-2013, 11:07 PM
There's a film from the Famous Five era I have on video (taped it before the 2001 Scottish Cup Final) which shows the old main entrance to the ground, with the club name with shamrocks around it. Anyone know when that was demolished? I read/heard somewhere that this was part of Harry Swan's to de-Irish Hibs, as being a hard-headed businessman he wanted to increase our appeal to the wider community. It's also been suggested that he wanted Hibs to change colours to red, and that when we adopted the white sleeves in the 30s, it was originally planned to have us play in Arsenal-style strips, as they were the big English team at the time.
Something I have always wondered about that era was where all the money went: there were huge crowds (like 50k against Hearts), yet players were on minuscule wages. Worth someone checking it out at Companies House one day I reckon...

Hibbyradge
21-01-2013, 11:22 PM
We were also getting very small crowds against the lesser lights in a 20 team league.

Also, it hardly cost anything to get in, hence the low wages.

LeighLoyal
22-01-2013, 12:10 AM
I heard a story Swan's ghost was supposed to haunt ER, or had been seen prior to bigger games, this was in the 80's mind you.

Part/Time Supporter
22-01-2013, 07:36 AM
We were also getting very small crowds against the lesser lights in a 20 team league.

Also, it hardly cost anything to get in, hence the low wages.

:agree:

Back of a fag packet calculation:

Average attendance of ~20,000 x 20 home games x 2.5p (1/2 a shilling) gate price = revenues of £10,000 per season. Minimal other revenues back then (no TV, very little commercial activity).

Assuming overheads were a similar percentage of costs back then, that leaves about £6,000 for wages. Assuming 20 players in a squad, that gives each of them about £6 per week.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/club_records_league_attendance.php

Brizo
22-01-2013, 07:39 AM
There's a film from the Famous Five era I have on video (taped it before the 2001 Scottish Cup Final) which shows the old main entrance to the ground, with the club name with shamrocks around it. Anyone know when that was demolished? I read/heard somewhere that this was part of Harry Swan's to de-Irish Hibs, as being a hard-headed businessman he wanted to increase our appeal to the wider community. It's also been suggested that he wanted Hibs to change colours to red, and that when we adopted the white sleeves in the 30s, it was originally planned to have us play in Arsenal-style strips, as they were the big English team at the time.
Something I have always wondered about that era was where all the money went: there were huge crowds (like 50k against Hearts), yet players were on minuscule wages. Worth someone checking it out at Companies House one day I reckon...

The Arsenal thing would appear to an urban myth. What Harry Swan did introduce in the mid 1930s was Arsenal style white sleeves to what had previously been an all green strip. Theres nothing to suggest he had ever wanted to change our colours.

The clubs origianal harp and shamrock crest remained on the stadium wall until the mid 1950s when it was taken down during rebuilding work. A painting of it was commissioned and hung in the Boardroom. When Harry Swan died the painting was gifted to his wife.

What is also true is that from the end of WW2 onwards the crest which the club used to represent itself in its day to day activities was the Edinburgh coat of arms amended to include a football and the title Edinburgh Hibernian FC. This is the crest which appeared on items such as the Coronation Cup Final programme, certain of the league winning medals and club blazers. Its apparent that a decade before the harp was removed from the stadium wall the club was "rebranding" (to use a modern term) itself to give it a much more Edinburgh identity. One school of thought is that with the ROI being neutral in WW2 returning servicemen and those who had lost loved ones might appreciate a more local identity being proclaimed on the crest. Theres nothing to suggest Harry Swan was anti harp or anti Irish, more that the club felt that the time was right for a more Edinburgh identity to be introduced.

Our resident authors recent book covers this era but doesnt seem to cover this part of our social history (im still working my way through the book so maybe it does). It would be interesting to get his thoughts and those of any other Hibs historians.

JeMeSouviens
22-01-2013, 07:51 AM

You need to read Lugton3, this stuff is all covered in painstaking detail.

superfurryhibby
22-01-2013, 08:01 AM
The Arsenal thing would appear to an urban myth. What Harry Swan did introduce in the mid 1930s was Arsenal style white sleeves to what had previously been an all green strip. Theres nothing to suggest he had ever wanted to change our colours.

The clubs origianal harp and shamrock crest remained on the stadium wall until the mid 1950s when it was taken down during rebuilding work. A painting of it was commissioned and hung in the Boardroom. When Harry Swan died the painting was gifted to his wife.

What is also true is that from the end of WW2 onwards the crest which the club used to represent itself in its day to day activities was the Edinburgh coat of arms amended to include a football and the title Edinburgh Hibernian FC. This is the crest which appeared on items such as the Coronation Cup Final programme, certain of the league winning medals and club blazers. Its apparent that a decade before the harp was removed from the stadium wall the club was "rebranding" (to use a modern term) itself to give it a much more Edinburgh identity. One school of thought is that with the ROI being neutral in WW2 returning servicemen and those who had lost loved ones might appreciate a more local identity being proclaimed on the crest. Theres nothing to suggest Harry Swan was anti harp or anti Irish, more that the club felt that the time was right for a more Edinburgh identity to be introduced.

Our resident authors recent book covers this era but doesnt seem to cover this part of our social history (im still working my way through the book so maybe it does). It would be interesting to get his thoughts and those of any other Hibs historians.

The whole Protestant Action thing was taking off in Edinburgh during the 1930's. This movement commanded a fair level of support and actually managed to elect members to the city council (Leith attracted a fair degree of support). The factors you mention were no doubt factors for the "re-brand".

I would also say that Swan wanted to show that the club was moving forward and away from the Old Irish, traditional model of ownership. THis had finally led to financial collapse and was the catalyst for Swan to actually gain a foothold in the boardroom before becoming the majority shareholder.

Brizo
22-01-2013, 09:31 AM
The whole Protestant Action thing was taking off in Edinburgh during the 1930's. This movement commanded a fair level of support and actually managed to elect members to the city council (Leith attracted a fair degree of support). The factors you mention were no doubt factors for the "re-brand".

I would also say that Swan wanted to show that the club was moving forward and away from the Old Irish, traditional model of ownership. THis had finally led to financial collapse and was the catalyst for Swan to actually gain a foothold in the boardroom before becoming the majority shareholder.

I dont believe Protestant Action was a factor. It had died out as a political force with widespread support before the begining of WW2 and after the war had no real following in the community. Its few remaining followers had no political power and were confined to soapbox speechs at the foot of the walk and the mound. i doubt this tiny post war band wouuld have had any impact on Hibernian FCs decision making in respect of choice of crest to use post war.

The fact that Harry Swan didnt change the crest when he took control in the 1930s at a time when Protestant Action was at its peak winning 30% plus of the vote in Edinburgh council elections, is to me evidence that he wasnt influenced by them.

Purple & Green
22-01-2013, 10:21 AM
yet players were on minuscule wages.

At least one Hibs book documents that they weren't - they were very well paid - "Vast amounts of cash would change hands in brown envelopes at the discretion of the chairman"

Edina Erin
22-01-2013, 10:22 AM
I dont believe Protestant Action was a factor. It had died out as a political force with widespread support before the begining of WW2 and after the war had no real following in the community. Its few remaining followers had no political power and were confined to soapbox speechs at the foot of the walk and the mound. i doubt this tiny post war band wouuld have had any impact on Hibernian FCs decision making in respect of choice of crest to use post war.

The fact that Harry Swan didnt change the crest when he took control in the 1930s at a time when Protestant Action was at its peak winning 30% plus of the vote in Edinburgh council elections, is to me evidence that he wasnt influenced by them.

Take care here - the whole reference to Protestant Action was made in an article in the Celtic News that set out to suggest that Harry Swan was anti Irish and anti Catholic due to him ratifying an SFA ruling for Celtic to stop flying the tricolour at a time when the SFA were looking to dampen down sectarianism in Glasgow.

SlovSam wrote a fantastic piece on this on an Irish footbal forum soem years ago - basically rubbishing the Celtic News article.

GlenrothesHibee
22-01-2013, 10:24 AM
There was also plans to increase the capacity of the ground to 80,000 +. The only was of acheving this was to completley rotate the pitch i believe.

Purple & Green
22-01-2013, 10:37 AM

There seems to be quite a difference between the books of McKay and Lugton on this. I'm sure both were painstakingly researched, so I suspect it comes down to the original sources. If you read a newspaper today you can read several conflicting reports on events between different newspapers and it wasn't any different 100 years ago. Having researched from 1875 onwards through various publications, I know I found some incredible differences.

FWIW, I find it hard to believe that Swan was the "villain" he was painted as....BUT....what is fact and is very clearly documented is Gordon Smith's departure. Swan didn't seem to cover himself in glory on that one. I think you have to keep an open mind on historical matters, especially in relation to how it's documented.

DC_Hibs
22-01-2013, 10:40 AM
History lesson for the lesser greens here -

http://foot.ie/threads/11886-Hibernian-FC-and-there-place-in-Irish-History

superfurryhibby
22-01-2013, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure what the motivaqtion would be for Chairman Swan with regard to the crest, I agreed with this poster that the highlighted factors were probably an issue. What is certain is that Swan took over ownership of Hibs fairly decisively and that he effectively ended the dominance of the previous "Irish" regime that had owned the club since it resurrection in the early 1890's. The "rebrand" does suggest a conscious move away from aspects of the clubs Irish associations, albeit the colours and name remain as overt indicators of our roots. In that respect I feel there is an element of Swan exerting some muscle, he is the new owner and Hibs were moving forward into an new era, interestingly the most successful one in our history.

It would be very interesting to know what happened to the aforementioned harp mosaic and the painting referred to. They would make wondeful aquisitions for our Hibernian museum.

Brizo
22-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Take care here - the whole reference to Protestant Action was made in an article in the Celtic News that set out to suggest that Harry Swan was anti Irish and anti Catholic due to him ratifying an SFA ruling for Celtic to stop flying the tricolour at a time when the SFA were looking to dampen down sectarianism in Glasgow.

SlovSam wrote a fantastic piece on this on an Irish footbal forum soem years ago - basically rubbishing the Celtic News article.

Ive read it and its an excellent article which knocks down the Celtc inspired myth that Harry Swan was anti harp, anti Irish and anti Catholic. FWIW and i dont know if you have misread me but I was responding to another poster who had raised the issue of Protestant Action. I was replying saying that organisation had no bearing on Hibernians introduction of the crest on your avatar in the post war years.

As i alluded to in my original post; post war we seemed to have a dual crest thing going on with the harp and shamrocks crest remaining on the stadium wall but the Embra coat of arms being used for all official club business. Its an interesting part of the clubs off field social history which maybe someone can give a bit more information on.

superfurryhibby
22-01-2013, 12:31 PM

That is an interesting article.

FWIW, I have never read any of the Celtic News stuff concerning Harry Swan, although I have spoken to old Hibbies who were adamant that SWan was eager to distance Hibs from aspects of their Irish heritage. Whilst Protestant Action were short lived they undoubtedly had a significant impact on perceptions in Edinburgh and from that point of view, that anti catholic sentiment, combined with other factors alluded to, like Irish neutrality in WW2 and the desire to show that a new regime was in charge of the football club, may have been influential in the removal of the Harp as the crest of Hibernian.

Northern Hibby
22-01-2013, 12:44 PM
History lesson for the lesser greens here -

http://foot.ie/threads/11886-Hibernian-FC-and-there-place-in-Irish-History

Just read the whole thread, top marks to all :aok:, laughed out loud at this "A lot of the information I got actually comes from a Hearts website" yeah cause that's were you'll get factually accurate historical information about Hibernian :greengrin

Purple & Green
22-01-2013, 12:57 PM
What is certain is that Swan took over ownership of Hibs fairly decisively and that he effectively ended the dominance of the previous "Irish" regime that had owned the club since it resurrection in the early 1890's.

I've been trying to establish when Swan took "control" of Hibs - hibbybrian has suggested 1946 - which seems plausible given the background. It means that he might have been chairman for well over a decade before becoming the largest or majority shareholder.

Part/Time Supporter
22-01-2013, 01:21 PM
I've been trying to establish when Swan took "control" of Hibs - hibbybrian has suggested 1946 - which seems plausible given the background. It means that he might have been chairman for well over a decade before becoming the largest or majority shareholder.

There's a new article up on hibs historical trust talking about the Summer Cup win (1941) and how McCartney asked that it be presented to Swan.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/blog/item/121-summer-cup

Kato
22-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Isn't it true that the Harp hadn't been on the strips since before WW1 and that the mosiac was taken down in the mid-50's when part of the ground was being rebuilt? A new mosiac replacing it was put up in the board-room.

I think the influence of Protestant Action is being over-stated, by the late 30's they had one member who was reduced to ranting at the foot of the mound and had zero political influence. I think this confusion arises as a Celtic fan once wrote a piece claiming Swan was a founding member of PA, in the same article Swan was portrayed as an Orange-man.

The Celtic View published a retraction of many of these myths it had printed itself a few years ago.

CapitalHibs
22-01-2013, 02:35 PM
There was also plans to increase the capacity of the ground to 80,000 +. The only was of acheving this was to completley rotate the pitch i believe.

That is totally correct. My late father was an architect and did a lot of work for Hibs including the first "50 Club" My dad actually came up with idea to rotate the ground to allow for larger capacity and after he drew up the plans, it was splashed all over the Evening News. Why it was rejected I don't know, but knowing Hibs it was probably financial:wink:

Also as a bit of trivia. the brick entrance to the old west stand was also my father's work. What not many people knew was the names of the Famous Five were engraved in concrete under the top coping

Dashing Bob S
22-01-2013, 02:41 PM
The late Marc Bolan's 'Ride A White Swan' composition was, according the Celtic View, written as a homosexual paean to Harry.

JimBHibees
22-01-2013, 02:52 PM
The late Marc Bolan's 'Ride A White Swan' composition was, according the Celtic View, written as a homosexual paean to Harry.

Brilliant. :faf::faf:

Peevemor
22-01-2013, 03:14 PM
That is totally correct. My late father was an architect and did a lot of work for Hibs including the first "50 Club" My dad actually came up with idea to rotate the ground to allow for larger capacity and after he drew up the plans, it was splashed all over the Evening News. Why it was rejected I don't know, but knowing Hibs it was probably financial:wink:

Also as a bit of trivia. the brick entrance to the old west stand was also my father's work. What not many people knew was the names of the Famous Five were engraved in concrete under the top coping

Was that the one in the basement across the road from the old main entrance?

superfurryhibby
22-01-2013, 03:19 PM

I'm sure Alan Lugton's book suggests that Swan made a swift transition to majority shareholder once he was accepted onto the board, this would have been in the (mid) 1930's. Need to check tonight. If IRCC there had been a fair amount of resistance to accepting an outsider and that the clubs had embarked on a debenture scheme in the mid-late 1920's in order to fund the new main stand. This had failed and precipitated the financial issues that eventually brought about change in ownership.

CapitalHibs
22-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Was that the one in the basement across the road from the old main entrance?

No, it was actually built into part of the old west stand, so you had to go through the turnstyles to get to it. Bill Harrower had seen the Kilmarnock hospitality club and wanted something the same at ER

Peevemor
22-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm sure Alan Lugton's book suggests that Swan made a swift transition to majority shareholder once he was accepted onto the board, this would have been in the (mid) 1930's. Need to check tonight. If IRCC there had been a fair amount of resistance to accepting an outsider and that the clubs had embarked on a debenture scheme in the mid-late 1920's in order to fund the new main stand. This had failed and precipitated the financial issues that eventually brought about change in ownership.

The old main stand was built in 1924 (I'm crap with dates, but I somehow manage to remember that!).

Peevemor
22-01-2013, 03:41 PM
No, it was actually built into part of the old west stand, so you had to go through the turnstyles to get to it. Bill Harrower had seen the Kilmarnock hospitality club and wanted something the same at ER

OK. Cheers.

The Harp
22-01-2013, 04:07 PM

Never realised that. I take it you're referring to the brick work at what was the entrance to the centre and south stands on Albion Road. It looked more modern than most other parts of the old stadium. Forgive a daft question ... were the engraved names visible?:doh:

ancient hibee
22-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Who cares what Harry Swan was anti.He was pro Hibs and presided over our most successful period,

CapitalHibs
22-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Never realised that. I take it you're referring to the brick work at what was the entrance to the centre and south stands on Albion Road. It looked more modern than most other parts of the old stadium. Forgive a daft question ... were the engraved names visible?:doh:

Yes it was a later addition to the ground. The names were added by the workmen on the last layer of brick and then sealed over by the coping.* *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coping_%28architecture%29

superfurryhibby
22-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Who cares what Harry Swan was anti.He was pro Hibs and presided over our most successful period,

Your point caller?

This is actually an interesting thread with some fascinating information coming up.

Brizo
22-01-2013, 05:02 PM

:confused: This threads been thankfully devoid of any of the nonsense which usually crops up in a thread on such matters. As SFH said lots of interesting stuff debated and its been discussed in a reasonable civilised manner. Why feel the need to change that ?

ancient hibee
22-01-2013, 05:05 PM
:confused: This threads been thankfully devoid of any of the nonsense which usually crops up in a thread on such matters. As SFH said lots of interesting stuff debated and its been discussed in a reasonable civilised manner. Why feel the need to change that ?

Change what?I'm not the one who brought up the subject of Harry Swan being anti various things-which incidentally he wasn't.He was pro Hibs.

Paisley Hibby
22-01-2013, 06:33 PM

I think this has been a really interesting thread. However, I'd like to defend Ancient. I didn't think he was having a go at anyone but rather making a very valid point. While there's a lot about whether Harry Swan was anti this or that, maybe not enough has been said about how brilliant he was for Hibs and that's surely the main thing about him?

Brizo
22-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Change what?I'm not the one who brought up the subject of Harry Swan being anti various things-which incidentally he wasn't.He was pro Hibs.

Were both in agreement then. If you read my posts you will see that ive categorically stated he wasnt anti Harp or anything else. And tbh I dont see SFH or anyone else stating he was anti harp or anything else. Hence my :confused: smiley. If there have please show me where ?

Swan was of course our most succesful and innovative 20th century Chairman but that shouldnt stop what was an interesting and moderate discussion about the post war club badge.

Jonnyboy
22-01-2013, 08:58 PM

You need to read Lugton3, this stuff is all covered in painstaking detail.

:agree: Which is why I didn't :greengrin AL's coverage is more than enough

Miguel
22-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks to all who posted on this. Really interesting.
I had read Alan Lugton's Hibs book covering the Swan era (3?) many years ago and recall he was quite dismissive of many of the 'accusations' against him. HS was clearly a very visionary man and from what I can glean his decisions were motivated by business considerations rather than any other factors.
As an aside, I read a book called 'Edinburgh Divided' many years ago. It was, I think, by Tom Gallagher and is now out of print. IIRC correctly, many of the Celtic allegations about Swan stemmed from a misguided reading of the situation in the 30s when his rise to power co-incided with the PA era. It is stated in the book that PA were strong in Leith and that some members, despite their sectarian views, we're actually Hibs supporters. I have also been told, from a personal source, that all the Famous Five were masons and that there was a great friendship between them and the Rangers' 'Iron curtain' defence of the era.
It's a fascinating era in the club's history and worthy of further research.

hibbybrian
23-01-2013, 03:19 AM

Reasoning behind 1946 suggestion, B

Harry Swan had been a shareholder for several years prior to his election to the Board in September 1931 when the Directors were Owen Brannigan, Barney Lester, Sean Martin and Mick Donoghue Harry resigned in June 1932 and was replaced by his friend Thomas Hartland.

Barney Lester, who along with Owen Brannigan, had been with Hibernian since the early days, died in 1932 and was replaced by his son Edward Lester.

In June 1934 Harry Swan was re-elected to the Board and installed as Chairman.

Edward Lester resigned in 1940 as he was called up for war duty (Edward Lester died in 1948) and he was replaced by James Drummond Shiels.

Sean Martin died in 1942 and was “not replaced by the Ould Irish.”

Owen Brannigan, the last of the Ould Irishmen died in 1946 and was not replaced - the Board then consisted of Harry Swan, Thomas Hartland and Wilson Terris.

Harry was succeeded by William Harrower in 1963 although Harry was given a life-directorship position which he held until his death in 1965.

As an aside, Harry Swan (at the time, an apprentice Baker) had joined up with McCrae’s Battalion in 1914 and after the war established Littlejohns Bakery and later operated a restaurant in Leith Walk.

hibbybrian
23-01-2013, 08:51 PM
:agree:

Back of a fag packet calculation:

Average attendance of ~20,000 x 20 home games x 2.5p (1/2 a shilling) gate price = revenues of £10,000 per season. Minimal other revenues back then (no TV, very little commercial activity).

Assuming overheads were a similar percentage of costs back then, that leaves about £6,000 for wages. Assuming 20 players in a squad, that gives each of them about £6 per week.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/club_records_league_attendance.php

Hibs were running 3-4 teams in the late 1940s-1950s and had a squad of around 70 players registered, Hibs also paid out big transfer fees for several players such as Alex Linwood and Les Johnston, carried out ground improvements and went on summer tours to Europe / Brazil almost every year from 1946 - 1956 so there were high running costs and so I doubt Harry was making vast sums from Hibs at that time - maybe a different story in the early 1960s when Hibs sold several players for large transfer fees: Baker, McLeod ... just before he sold out to Bill Harrower in 1963 !

ancient hibee
24-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Hibs gates were consistently underreported in the 1950s.There was a standing joke about "Swan turnstyle"usually claimed to be No.32.Difficulties sometimes emerged over the cheque given to the away club being less than it should have been but as clubs always got more than the guaranteed minimum they put up with it.

green glory
24-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Is there any word yet on the publication of the Lugton books in a single volume?

Miguel
24-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Hibs gates were consistently underreported in the 1950s.There was a standing joke about "Swan turnstyle"usually claimed to be No.32.Difficulties sometimes emerged over the cheque given to the away club being less than it should have been but as clubs always got more than the guaranteed minimum they put up with it.

This is what has fascinated me. The case of Celtic was even more extreme: huge crowds in 60s and 70s - biscuit tin empty by 90s and near total collapse.

Jonnyboy
24-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Is there any word yet on the publication of the Lugton books in a single volume?

Not aware there were ever plans to do that gg :confused:

All three volumes are now available on demand from Birlinn publishers. Drop them an email at info@birlinn.co.uk