PDA

View Full Version : Next Saturday home game 9th of MARCH!

SuperTortolano
21-01-2013, 11:33 AM
According to the Hibs fixture list the next Saturday game is on the 9th of March against them, which is bound to be moved. So the next Saturday game could be on the 30th of March!

Mikey
21-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Hopefully the clubs will have a little more say when the new set up comes in. The TV money is good but the kick off times are bad!!

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Our next 7 scheduled games are

Sunday
Wednesday
Sunday
Monday
Saturday
Sunday
Wednesday

With the Yams game likely to be changed from Saturday to Sunday, that would be only one Saturday match in our next 8 games. :rolleyes:

Humo
21-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Why do we even bother with the winter break? Most leagues don't have them any more and so that perfectly good Saturday kick-off's wasted and our players looked like they'd gotten smashed for two weeks straight last Saturday!

WestEndHibee
21-01-2013, 09:14 PM
On a completely selfish note this is brilliant for me. I can't make Saturdays so I can hopefully enjoy a good run of games now! I've seen them win each time I've been this year too so here's hoping it stays that way.

monktonharp
21-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Is one of these Sunday games really on at 4:30pm? D.Utd I think. I'm sure that is the ko time listed on the official site?

monktonharp
21-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Our next 7 scheduled games are

Sunday
Wednesday
Sunday
Monday
Saturday
Sunday
Wednesday

With the Yams game likely to be changed from Saturday to Sunday, that would be only one Saturday match in our next 8 games. :rolleyes: looks a bit similar to last season, IIRC.

davhibby
21-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Is one of these Sunday games really on at 4:30pm? D.Utd I think. I'm sure that is the ko time listed on the official site?

It is, what sort of time is that to have a game? Absoloutly rubbish

cocopops1875
21-01-2013, 10:25 PM

it seems to be a Kick off they have launched this season :confused: Fans come 1st:brickwall

monktonharp
21-01-2013, 10:35 PM
it seems to be a Kick off they have launched this season :confused: Fans come 1st:brickwallAnother first for Hibs and scottish fitba'. floodlights,undersoil heating,sponsored shirts........fridaynight games, ...sunday 4;30, What next Petrie?? forgot to add, first Edinburgh club to modernise our ground so you do score points on that, Petrie

California-Hibs
21-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Which of these games are due to be televised?

.Sean.
21-01-2013, 10:42 PM
And they wonder why season ticket sales aren't as high as they expect?

LioNeilMessi
21-01-2013, 10:52 PM
On a completely selfish note this is brilliant for me. I can't make Saturdays so I can hopefully enjoy a good run of games now! I've seen them win each time I've been this year too so here's hoping it stays that way.

:greengrin I'm the same Saturdays always end up with me sacrificing something so when I read this news it pleased me a lot! A bit selfish as you say though!:flag:

legends of 73
21-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Hope the hearts game is moved for selfish reasons, daughters dance show that afternoon so even a 12.30 kick would be a mare and Scotland v Wales at muddyfield means extra work for us cabbies so I think a Sunday would be just fine for once :flag::flag:

monktonharp
21-01-2013, 11:00 PM
aye, I feel for you poor cabbies, if you have to put in mair graft just because of fixture clashes etc:rolleyes:

Makaveli
21-01-2013, 11:18 PM
I think we all understand that some games will be moved for TV but it's the laughable inconsistency of KO times (and indeed days) that pisses me off. What was it last year, 16 different times we had? :rolleyes:

It should Saturday 3PM or one other day/time nominated at the start of the season, that way people know. How can they expect folk to buy season tickets when we're playing on every day of the week?

MB62
22-01-2013, 07:23 AM
I think we all understand that some games will be moved for TV but it's the laughable inconsistency of KO times (and indeed days) that pisses me off. What was it last year, 16 different times we had? :rolleyes:

It should Saturday 3PM or one other day/time nominated at the start of the season, that way people know. How can they expect folk to buy season tickets when we're playing on every day of the week?

Exactly, totally agree. And a very good point in helping sell season tickets. Each club should be able to agree at the start of the season that if their home game is moved from Saturday at 3.00pm then the alternative is a fixed one of their choosing e.g. Friday 7.45pm or Sunday 12.30pm or whatever.
I realise the money from T.V. is welcome but just how good is it?

Gatecrasher
22-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Exactly, totally agree. And a very good point in helping sell season tickets. Each club should be able to agree at the start of the season that if their home game is moved from Saturday at 3.00pm then the alternative is a fixed one of their choosing e.g. Friday 7.45pm or Sunday 12.30pm or whatever.
I realise the money from T.V. is welcome but just how good is it?
Not good enough IMO, and if ESPN are pulling out as rumoured then that makes it even less so.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2013, 08:22 AM

Sad as it sounds Sean, you are 100% spot on. We the fans are the last people thought of when these games are moved, remember these games are moved for the benefit of the tv company and armchair fans. :rolleyes:

The tv company be it sky or espn dont seem to be bothered their pictures are showing huge gaps in empty stadiums, sometimes whole stands empty, closed not needed.

TV does stop folk from attending, i have not doubt about that, but we need the money they pay.

The end scenario is everyone watching from their sofa, would they be happy about that or leave Scottish football because the grounds were empty? :confused:

greenginger
22-01-2013, 08:28 AM
16 team top division = 8 fixtures every weekend, more choice for TV less fixture interference for each club. :thumbsup:

Purple & Green
22-01-2013, 08:46 AM
According to the Hibs fixture list the next Saturday game is on the 9th of March against them, which is bound to be moved. So the next Saturday game could be on the 30th of March!

Quite a paradox isn't it...trying to sell tickets for 19 games a season as primarily a "3pm Saturday" activity, and then shift around a third of them (the best ones!) to random times to suit TV.

If you had one day one time the games were getting moved to, then, I think people might be more understanding but as it is we seem to get our games shunted around to fit the schedules of the lower english leagues.

Thursday is not a typical footy day - so in terms of scheduling we could ask for that slot and there might be possibilities. Thursdays don't suit everyone, but neither do Fridays/Saturday lunchtimes, Sunday afternoons etc etc

I also don't understand why Ibrox and Parkhead are among the least visited grounds by the TV cameras. I think that needs reviewed as their home fixtures are ergo the least affected - they have maximum coverage for the smallest impact on home attendances. That's a mental way to run a league.

Gatecrasher
22-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Sad as it sounds Sean, you are 100% spot on. We the fans are the last people thought of when these games are moved, remember these games are moved for the benefit of the tv company and armchair fans. :rolleyes:

The tv company be it sky or espn dont seem to be bothered their pictures are showing huge gaps in empty stadiums, sometimes whole stands empty, closed not needed.

TV does stop folk from attending, i have not doubt about that, but we need the money they pay.

The end scenario is everyone watching from their sofa, would they be happy about that or leave Scottish football because the grounds were empty? :confused:
:agree:
The people who put the lease in get preferential treatment and the clubs will suffer as a result IMO. Also the clubs are showing a huge amount of loyalty to companies who seem able to pull out as they wish (Sky and ESPN).

lyonhibs
22-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Out of interest, what was Hibs average attendace in the 70's and 80's, before the apparent bane of TV got its teeth into Scottish football?

Peevemor
22-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Out of interest, what was Hibs average attendace in the 70's and 80's, before the apparent bane of TV got its teeth into Scottish football?

I don't know about the average attendances (normally inflated by derbies & OF matches), but during the 80s most 'normal' games attracted around 5k to Easter Road.

Purple & Green
22-01-2013, 10:08 AM

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/club_records_league_attendance.php

But it's not as simple as looking at just our averages in isolation.

You have to benchmark the figures as other Scottish teams (eg Celtic in the last dozen years have never had higher average attendances in their history - their figures thirty years ago were closer to 20k)

Economic conditions

Season ticket culture

Pricing v RPI v other forms of entertainment

Weather on a particular day & season generally

Before you can assess what impact TV has had on crowds generally (exposure is good), crowds on a particular day (other events/weather/poor form/nothing to play for) etc etc

One thing that is frequently trotted out - at a slight tangent - is that cheaper prices don't work. This season has me beginning to doubt that blanket theory because Hibs have been immeasurably better this season, with better results yet crowds have only increased by small increments game by game. I think Rod was trying to get this point across at the AGM that there's no magic wand to bring 5000 fans back overnight it's a slow methodical process on the back of progress/better football/better results.

Now, as far as I know, nobody in Scotland - or England for that matter - has come up with a business plan which incorporates cheaper prices over a mid term with a view to growing the number of people through the turnstiles. With good reason too - it means lower revenues for certain in the short term which is a massive risk. I suspect that it's possible we could increase our core support significantly through cheaper prices. Short of finding a benefactor to underwrite this, or the fans underwriting this themselves, I don't see this happening. It would be one way to grow significantly bigger than our city rivals.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2013, 10:37 AM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/club_records_league_attendance.php

But it's not as simple as looking at just our averages in isolation.

You have to benchmark the figures as other Scottish teams (eg Celtic in the last dozen years have never had higher average attendances in their history - their figures thirty years ago were closer to 20k)

Economic conditions

Season ticket culture

Pricing v RPI v other forms of entertainment

Weather on a particular day & season generally

Before you can assess what impact TV has had on crowds generally (exposure is good), crowds on a particular day (other events/weather/poor form/nothing to play for) etc etc

One thing that is frequently trotted out - at a slight tangent - is that cheaper prices don't work. This season has me beginning to doubt that blanket theory because Hibs have been immeasurably better this season, with better results yet crowds have only increased by small increments game by game. I think Rod was trying to get this point across at the AGM that there's no magic wand to bring 5000 fans back overnight it's a slow methodical process on the back of progress/better football/better results.

Now, as far as I know, nobody in Scotland - or England for that matter - has come up with a business plan which incorporates cheaper prices over a mid term with a view to growing the number of people through the turnstiles. With good reason too - it means lower revenues for certain in the short term which is a massive risk. I suspect that it's possible we could increase our core support significantly through cheaper prices. Short of finding a benefactor to underwrite this, or the fans underwriting this themselves, I don't see this happening. It would be one way to grow significantly bigger than our city rivals.

That is the problem Rod and every other chairman has, they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

I keep hearing folk saying they should be more imaginative in the pricing policy's, but if i'm honest i cant see them working, its just another way of saying let me pay less?

The problem i feel with that is, we are near the ceiling for what some folk will pay to watch football in Scotland, in fact we have gone through it for some.

Its worrying times, and with Sky tv showing football virtually every night of the week, from every corner of the world, and most of it a higher standard than what we pay £22-£28 a week for, is it any wonder we are struggling to attract new fans?

I really dont know what the answer is, if there even is one?

Andy74
22-01-2013, 11:13 AM
What I don't get is why people still expect football games to be 3 pm on a Saturday?

hibee_girl
22-01-2013, 11:18 AM
What I don't get is why people still expect football games to be 3 pm on a Saturday?

:agree:

It was pretty obvious once it was confirmed there was no Rangers in SPL this season that more of our games would be moved

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2013, 01:11 PM

I expect to go to the football on most Saturdays, i realise some games will be changed but to have 1 scheduled game from the next 8 on a Saturday is not on in my opinion, and there is a huge chance that will be changed too.

lord bunberry
22-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Maybe its time to start showing games live at 3pm on a saturday. At the end of the day if your going to go your going to go

lyonhibs
22-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Can only make the Hearts game if (when, surely....) it is moved to the Sunday.

'Mon the televised games!! :cb

:tin hat:

monktonharp
22-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Maybe its time to start showing games live at 3pm on a saturday. At the end of the day if your going to go your going to gocertainly dont see that as an answer to falling attendences! but, I have recently asked 3 mates, all Hibbies that are not regular attendees, if they are going to the cup game. all three replied with.......is it on the telly.? me trying to convince them that is important to get along and lend your support as it's very important, was met with sly smirks and one actually said.........is it a freebie, relating to the free entry I gave him for the Celtic game:fuming:

monktonharp
22-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Can only make the Hearts game if (when, surely....) it is moved to the Sunday.

'Mon the televised games!! :cb

:tin hat:bet that means you'll defo be there:rolleyes:

monktonharp
22-01-2013, 06:09 PM
:greengrin I'm the same Saturdays always end up with me sacrificing something so when I read this news it pleased me a lot! A bit selfish as you say though!:flag:tell us a bit more about your sacrificing then. interested

lyonhibs
22-01-2013, 06:53 PM
bet that means you'll defo be there:rolleyes:

Defo does. Flying back from Zurich from Fri-Mon, and got tickets for the 6 Nations rugby game with a few mates on the Saturday. If the Derby gets moved to the Sunday, I can go to that as well.

Sorted.

lord bunberry
22-01-2013, 08:34 PM
certainly dont see that as an answer to falling attendences! but, I have recently asked 3 mates, all Hibbies that are not regular attendees, if they are going to the cup game. all three replied with.......is it on the telly.? me trying to convince them that is important to get along and lend your support as it's very important, was met with sly smirks and one actually said.........is it a freebie, relating to the free entry I gave him for the Celtic game:fuming:

I see your point but if they aren't going to go because its on tv then it wouldn't matter whether it was on a sunday or a saturday at 3pm. There doesn't seem to be a solution to this problem that is going to please everyone but at least if the games were on tv but still kicking off at the traditional 3pm on a saturday then the fans attending would be less inconvenienced

PatHead
22-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Doubt Sky would be interested in a 3.00pm Saturday kick off being televised. They will get better viewing figures for Soccer Saturday than they would for an SPL game.

lord bunberry
22-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Doubt Sky would be interested in a 3.00pm Saturday kick off being televised. They will get better viewing figures for Soccer Saturday than they would for an SPL game.

You might be right but I doubt the viewing figures are that great when the games are televised on a sunday.

Gatecrasher
23-01-2013, 07:35 AM
we're not the only ones getting pissed off with this:

Motherwell may have produced a win on Saturday but there is still some bad feeling among a decent chunk of the support. For once this has nothing to do with the performance, but rather the sudden announcement that the game with Dundee United next midweek would be brought forward 24 hours.
Every fan accepts games will be moved for television but for the club to announce this switch at 12 days’ notice is another shocking disregard for their paying customer. Some people will have made alternative arrangements and will miss out, and you can be certain some of those will do something about it.
It may only be a dozen folk who consider this move the last straw and refuse to renew a season ticket but it’s another dozen who could begin to drift away from the game.
Derek Wilson
www.firparkcorner.com

So that’s ten points we’ve taken from five games against the Edinburgh clubs now, with three points picked up in our other 17 games.
Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Hibs should have been three points, to make those statistics even more bizarre. The industrious Baird took his goal well, and was long overdue his first competitive goal for Dundee, while Milne, Stewart and Nish had chances to increase our lead. Of course, former player Leigh Griffiths pops up with his customary goal against us, but the mutual respect between him and the Dundee fans is a rare sight in football these days. He’ll surely end up back at Dens one day.
Now we embark on an eight-game run of non-Saturday fixtures, starting with Kilmarnock at Dens on Sunday. It goes without saying that we have to win this game, and I have a feeling we will.
The Club 12th Man

3pm
27-01-2013, 04:57 PM
No game on SATURDAY 16 March with the Buddies making the final.

IberianHibernian
27-01-2013, 05:07 PM
No game on SATURDAY 16 March with the Buddies making the final.We`re at Motherwell on Friday 15th March . Paisley on 16th February .

3pm
27-01-2013, 05:11 PM
We`re at Motherwell on Friday 15th March . Paisley on 16th February .

What a fanny I am!

Cheers for correcting me!

maturehibby
28-01-2013, 08:11 AM
My son has given up his season ticket of about 20 years because he cannot get to the games on a sunday - full priced one in Lower west .
Hibs loss

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2013, 08:25 AM
My son has given up his season ticket of about 20 years because he cannot get to the games on a sunday - full priced one in Lower west .
Hibs loss

I'd bet he's not the only one, not Hibs fault but definetly a problem for the club, in fact all clubs?

MB62
28-01-2013, 09:20 AM
I'd bet he's not the only one, not Hibs fault but definetly a problem for the club, in fact all clubs?

We are not entirely blameless either though BH as we are part of the SPL who agreed to the T.V. deal which allows these games to be moved to whatever day and time it suits the T.V. as are Motherwell et al.
When fans complain and clubs refuse to listen and still accept T.V. deals, they have no room for moaning about dropping attendances. Clubs would obviously rather the certain T.V. money rather taking the chance of maybe not getting fans through the door, maybe hard to blame them for taking that stance as they do have a business to run.

edinburghhibee
28-01-2013, 10:40 AM
I've had a wee thought on this... I know that's dangerous, but for all we know hibs might actually be against the TV deal in place. At the moment the voting is 11-1 teams and I believe teams like ICT, St Johnstone and killie would not be happy to drop the TV money as they are unlikely to get enough customers through their gates to cover the shortfall left by the missing TV deals

I fact I would add every club to that, it's been so long now since we played regularly on a Saturday that I don't think it would bring as many as 1000 supporters back. End of the day people want to see a team winning, get winning and you attendances will increase.

Lucius Apuleius
28-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Next Saturday home game 9th of MARCH!

Excellent, I am home on the 6th. :agree: