PDA

View Full Version : NHC Gerrard v. Dalglish

--------
21-01-2013, 12:01 PM
According to Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard is the greatest Liverpool player of all time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21118194

Really?

Hibercelona
21-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Not the greatest Liverpool player ever, but he's certainly up there.

Liverpool would be utter dross without him.

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2013, 12:11 PM
According to Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard is the greatest Liverpool player of all time.

Really?

Impossible to call IMO due to different era's so there's bound to be difference of opinions with arguments/counter arguments, however if asked the same question my answer is Dalglish. My uncle for example would probably say Billy Liddell. The King has also played at Easter Road in a Hibs shirt, one of my favourite moments :thumbsup:

Bad Martini
21-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Really?

In one word, No.

In a few more words, The King is the King and long live the King.

The King, wasn't titled the the King for no reason. Back in the day, they didn't count assists and even now, there is no true measure of pure genius. Consider what the King done when playing for Liverpool, often risking his career for a "stiff" challenge, for the greater good, most of which didn't even bring a yellow card. Get up, get on with and skin the feker next time. There was no video playbacks and assistance, no computers and nothing but pure guile and genius to beat opponents (aka "tactics"). No "sports science" and no namby pambying. Training went ahead regardless. Good players excelled. The rest didn't...

The King scored the (only) winning goal in his first European Cup Final and didn't look back. In fact, that was the start...League and cup doubles as player manager and everything else possible he won as first player, then player/manager and then manager. Through some very ****ty times that would have tested the character and resolve of anyone. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Kenny Dalglish, you cannot question his commitment and strength of character nor, his resolve for Liverpool FC....and he never considered joining Chelsea either.

The mark of the man, is his own words whereby he has 3 European Cup Winners Medals, countless League titles, FA Cup, UEFA Cup and League Cups (and International Cups when they mattered) ....the greatest moment of his career (his words) "winning the 1989 FA Cup Final"...says it all.

Gerrard is good. Gerrard at times is great. He is ****ing immense at times and he can turn a game around. He isnt the King. Dalglish; the finest footballing brain ever to be hosted in human form, selfless to the end on the pitch, for the greater good of the team, God knows how many assists and hundreds of (great) goals himself and that's all before he "retired" to management, where his contribution was without question.

In fact, putting aside the treatment of Shankly which, putting aside his own interference probably could've been handled better, the treatment the King got by those tosser Americans last year is scandalous. No matter how they dress it up it was not befitting our greatest player and one of our finest managers. Shankly was the father, Paisley won the lot but Dalglish done more than his "bit" to be right up there and the events of 89 prove that, with many other contributions. Coming back a couple of years ago was also the saving of Liverpool without a question...the only man who we could have brought in to do the job. The only man who could bring everyone together. Fact.

The King is the King. Unparalleled.

ENDOF

--------
21-01-2013, 12:35 PM
In one word, No.

The King, wasn't titled the the King for no reason. Back in the day, they didn't count assists and even now, there is no true measure of pure genius. Consider what the King done when playing for Liverpool, often risking his career for a "stiff" challenge, for the greater good, most of which didn't even bring a yellow card. Get up, get on with and skin the feker next time. There was no video playbacks and assistance, no computers and nothing but pure guile and genius to beat opponents (aka "tactics"). No "sports science" and no namby pambying. Training went ahead regardless. Good players excelled. The rest didn't...

The King scored the (only) winning goal in his first European Cup Final and didn't look back. In fact, that was the start...League and cup doubles as player manager and everything else possible he won as first player, then player/manager and then manager. Through some very ****ty times that would have tested the character and resolve of anyone. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Kenny Dalglish, you cannot question his commitment and strength of character nor, his resolve for Liverpool FC....and he never considered joining Chelsea either.

The mark of the man, is his own words whereby he has 3 European Cup Winners Medals, countless League titles, FA Cup, UEFA Cup and League Cups (and International Cups when they mattered) ....the greatest moment of his career (his words) "winning the 1989 FA Cup Final"...says it all.

Gerrard is good. Gerrard at times is great. He is ****ing immense at times and he can turn a game around. He isnt the King. Dalglish; the finest footballing brain ever to be hosted in human form, selfless to the end on the pitch, for the greater good of the team, God knows how many assists and hundreds of (great) goals himself and that's all before he "retired" to management, where his contribution was without question.

In fact, putting aside the treatment of Shankly which, putting aside his own interference probably could've been handled better, the treatment the King got by those tosser Americans last year is scandalous. No matter how they dress it up it was not befitting our greatest player and one of our finest managers. Shankly was the father, Paisley won the lot but Dalglish done more than his "bit" to be right up there and the events of 89 prove that, with many other contributions. Coming back a couple of years ago was also the saving of Liverpool without a question...the only man who we could have brought in to do the job. The only man who could bring everyone together. Fact.

ENDOF

Thanks, BM. My thoughts entirely.

lapsedhibee
21-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Serial divers should be disqualified from the accolade.

And all you Dalglish voters must have green-and-white tinted specs on.

I'll go for Peter Cormack.

JohnStephens91
21-01-2013, 04:54 PM
The greatest Liverpool ever is Djimi Traore.

hfc rd
21-01-2013, 05:27 PM
The greatest Liverpool ever is Djimi Traore.

David Ngog, Charlie Adam, Jonjo Shelvey

chinaman
21-01-2013, 05:48 PM
In one word, No.

ENDOF great post. gerrard dived as much as suarez , but the english media are blind to reality as much as ours are cowards to the hun bullies

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2013, 06:47 PM
great post. gerrard dived as much as suarez , but the english media are blind to reality as much as ours are cowards to the hun bullies

Stop talking pish.

McD
21-01-2013, 07:02 PM
In one word, No.

ENDOF

:aok::not worth:thumbsup:

3pm
21-01-2013, 07:10 PM
'Coming back a couple of years ago was also the saving of Liverpool without question'.

And the ludicrous purchases of Messers Downing, Henderson and Carroll for almost £70m knocked them back about 4 years. No doubt Damian Commoli will get the blame for that though.

chinaman
21-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Stop talking pish. gerrards a diver, watch the game v athletico madrid at anfield how stevie g blatantly dived for penalty ,worst ever.embarrasing as xxxx

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2013, 08:08 PM
gerrards a diver, watch the game v athletico madrid at anfield how stevie g blatantly dived for penalty ,worst ever.embarrasing as xxxx

If you are trying to dispute the fact that Gerrard is one of the greatest Liverpool players of all time by bringing up examples of him winning a penalty then you have failed miserably. :faf:

Squealing pig
21-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Greatest players Lucas, Danny Wilson or ngog.

chinaman
21-01-2013, 08:38 PM
If you are trying to dispute the fact that Gerrard is one of the greatest Liverpool players of all time by bringing up examples of him winning a penalty then you have failed miserably. :faf: great player no better than dalglish tho, and hes still a cheat eh

jdships
21-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Impossible to call IMO due to different era's so there's bound to be difference of opinions with arguments/counter arguments, however if asked the same question my answer is Dalglish. My uncle for example would probably say Billy Liddell. The King has also played at Easter Road in a Hibs shirt, one of my favourite moments :thumbsup:

Agree with all you write
Billy Liddell was a cousin of my father's and I knew him well and from that I would like to vote for him BUT !
Taking everything into consideration I believe Gerrard is , in modern terms , as near the complete footballer as you can get
My vote goes to Steven Gerrard
:thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2013, 08:44 PM
great player no better than dalglish tho, and hes still a cheat eh

I never said he was better than Dalglish, away with your cheat nonsense unless you're going to label every player who has committed the terrible sin of "winning" their team a penalty. A world class player in his prime, one of the greatest ever to wear a Liverpool shirt and you know it eh!

jdships
21-01-2013, 08:52 PM
great player no better than dalglish tho, and hes still a cheat eh

Come on - what football matches have you been watching !
Dalgliesh did his share of diving and also picked up a few dodgy decisions throughout his career :rolleyes:
Still think he is up there with the 'Lawman' for Scotland

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Come on - what football matches have you been watching !
Dalgliesh did his share of diving and also picked up a few dodgy decisions throughout his career :rolleyes:
Still think he is up there with the 'Lawman' for Scotland

No mass scrutiny of canny players from cameras at every angle back in the day, folk who now label players as cheats at the drop of a hat due to TV coverage know nothing of the real game of football.

jdships
21-01-2013, 09:04 PM
No mass scrutiny of canny players from camera's at every angle back in the day, folk who now label players as cheats at the drop of a hat due to TV coverage know nothing of the real game of football.

Guess we are ' singing from the same hymn sheet ', old son
Happy memories of staying in digs with Mrs Davies in Cable Road , Bootle and kicking a ball around Stanley Park - followed by pint of the real Guiness :greengrin

Chibs
21-01-2013, 09:08 PM
To compare Gerrard with Kenny Dalglish is wrong in so many ways.
Gerrard is a good football player of that there is no doubt.
The King on the other hand was an exceptional talent,something so rare I will probably never witness again.
I have no love for Celtic or Liverpool but those supporters will know the answer to the op's question.

hihohibby
21-01-2013, 09:12 PM
In one word, No.

ENDOF

I could not agree more. I saw Dalglish play in his heyday, along with Souness and co. Liverpool had world class players throughout their team/teams through the 1970s and 80s, but Dalglish stood out as something truly special, even amongst these class players. He could turn on a sixpence (showing my age now) and make a defence splitting pass in a split second, wrong-footing many a decent defender. His knack of scoring sublime goals from next to nothing and impossible angles was something to behold. And who can ever forget that beaming Dalglish toothy smile, and that infectious schoolboy joy after every triumph. Gerrard is a great, modern day athlete and influential captain, who has guided Liverpool to some memorable moments, but, for me, even he will acknowledge and bow to King Kenny!

--------
22-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Serial divers should be disqualified from the accolade.

And all you Dalglish voters must have green-and-white tinted specs on.

I'll go for Peter Cormack.

Peter never "went down easily"? Hm. :rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
22-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Peter never "went down easily"? Hm. :rolleyes:

Sometimes went down slightly theatrically after Arthur Thomson or John Clark booted him up in the air, to make sure the refs knew he'd been fouled, but in no way was he a serial diver like Gerrard, Suarez, Bale, Rooney, Cole J, etc.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2013, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=reallapsedhibee;3479904]Sometimes went down slightly theatrically after Arthur Thomson or John Clark booted him up in the air, to make sure the refs knew he'd been fouled, but in no way was he a serial diver like Tom Daley.

Let's keep this to football eh. :greengrin

joe breezy
22-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Gerrard for me. I grew up when Dalglish was my hero and I saw him score for Scotland against Spain at Hampden. I watched him be part of an amazing Liverpool team, winning multiple European trophies.

Since then I think the standard of football has changed; it's improved and money has changed the game.

Gerrard could have gone to Chelsea but stayed at Liverpool.

He also works so hard and is all over the pitch - is he as consistently brilliant as Dalglish was - maybe not.
But he has done more for Liverpool in his time there in my opinion. He's been a rock of stability through turbulent times.

jdships
22-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Sometimes went down slightly theatrically after Arthur Thomson or John Clark booted him up in the air, to make sure the refs knew he'd been fouled, but in no way was he a serial diver like Gerrard, Suarez, Bale, Rooney, Cole J, etc.

You have forgotten the ' Scottish Prince of divers' - JOHN MCDONALD
Rangers FC 1978 to 1986 before moving to Barnsley.

Bob Crampsey once commented during an after dinner speech :
' Whiled diving is the sport of jumping or falling into water from a platform or springboard John Mcdonald has proved had he chosen to take up this sport he could have been a genuine medal contender at the Olympic Games '

'King ' Kenny was up there too with the best of them !!

:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Gerrard for me. I grew up when Dalglish was my hero and I saw him score for Scotland against Spain at Hampden. I watched him be part of an amazing Liverpool team, winning multiple European trophies.

Since then I think the standard of football has changed; it's improved and money has changed the game.

Gerrard could have gone to Chelsea but stayed at Liverpool.

He also works so hard and is all over the pitch - is he as consistently brilliant as Dalglish was - maybe not.
But he has done more for Liverpool in his time there in my opinion. He's been a rock of stability through turbulent times.The rock of stability through the worst times the club have ever experienced was without doubt Dalglish, the King lead the club and indeed the city with such dignity throught the aftermath of Hillsborough, the toll it took on him was plain for all to see.

Hibrandenburg
22-01-2013, 04:29 PM
You have forgotten the ' Scottish Prince of divers' - JOHN MCDONALD
Rangers FC 1978 to 1986 before moving to Barnsley.

Bob Crampsey once commented during an after dinner speech :
' Whiled diving is the sport of jumping or falling into water from a platform or springboard John Mcdonald has proved had he chosen to take up this sport he could have been a genuine medal contender at the Olympic Games '

'King ' Kenny was up there too with the best of them !!

:greengrin

John McDonald was a scabby wee *****. Gobbed in my face while going up the tunnel and called me a fenian ******* after being subbed at ER in the late 70's.

Always thought that Dalglish's footballing brain was better than his feet and Gerrard is exactly the opposite making Dalglish the superior IMO.

hfc rd
22-01-2013, 04:55 PM

When did Gerrard & Rooney become serial divers? You forgot to add Ashley Young.

lapsedhibee
22-01-2013, 05:31 PM
When did Gerrard & Rooney become serial divers? You forgot to add Ashley Young.

Gerrard a very long time ago; Rooney more recently, more cleverly and not as frequently; forgot Young as he's a reserve team player now isn't he? Young's probably been the most ludicrous though.

hfc rd
22-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Gerrard a very long time ago; Rooney more recently, more cleverly and not as frequently; forgot Young as he's a reserve team player now isn't he? Young's probably been the most ludicrous though.

Young is injured. He's done well at times this season compared to Valencia who's having a stinker and well off form at the moment.

Anyway back to the topic, personally for me, the best Liverpool player of all time is Kenny Dalgleish. Steven Gerrard is a legend as well down in Liverpool but Kenny is the king of the Kop. Average manager but a brilliant player. Him and Rush up front would rip any team to shreds. That's coming from a Man Utd fan.

stu in nottingham
22-01-2013, 06:40 PM
No disrespect to Gerrard who is clearly an oustanding player but I don't think this comparison is really that close. Dalglish was an elite player and a class above most.

I'd guess that Liverpool fans would see it similarly.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2013, 06:47 PM

Gerrard a serial diver, you don't half spout some pish mate even allowing for opinions yours is absurd.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2013, 06:49 PM
No disrespect to Gerrard who is clearly an oustanding player but I don't think this comparison is really that close. Dalglish was an elite player and a class above most.

I'd guess that Liverpool fans would see it similarly.

Spot on :agree: