PDA

View Full Version : First game of the season- some observations

Islington Hibs
21-01-2013, 08:30 AM
This was my first visit to Easter Road this season, given I live 500 miles away- no excuse I know! So as a very occasional poster here are my thoughts.

Firstly I was reasonably impressed and enjoyed the game. It is clearly a big improvement on last year. For a spell, at the start of the second half, we looked really good! Fenlon seems to be taking the club in the right direction and deserves our support.

Second while, from a footballing sense, Hibs were more skillful than Dundee the midfield gave the ball away far too much putting pressure on the defence. Hibs still look brittle and seriously struggle to clear their lines. McPake looked well out of it- is he still struggling from injury? Williams looks a great, commanding keeper and I thought McGivern was perhaps my man of the match. The board seems split on Doyle- for what it is worth I though he held the ball up well, especially in the first half.
Dundee looked pretty ordinary but well organised and on this showing I am surprised they are well bottom. Although I though Hibs the better side we made few chances. There remains a lack of creativity and we seem too reliant on the clearly talented Mr Griffiths, who didn’t get enough service.

Third while there did not seem 10300 in the ground the atmosphere was better. While it was not exactly the Kop the atmosphere seemed more supportive and positive. I was impressed with Section 43 and the drum but also the support seemed a bit less critical, despite a disappointing result.

Fourth it is hard for me to say as I have not seen enough of the other terms in the league but on this showing and recent erratic results I suspect Hibs will end up just above mid-way – 4-6th? Hope I am wrong as there is all to play for and no reason we can’t be second.

spike220
21-01-2013, 08:35 AM
This was my first visit to Easter Road this season, given I live 500 miles away- no excuse I know! So as a very occasional poster here are my thoughts.

Firstly I was reasonably impressed and enjoyed the game. It is clearly a big improvement on last year. For a spell, at the start of the second half, we looked really good! Fenlon seems to be taking the club in the right direction and deserves our support.

Second while, from a footballing sense, Hibs were more skillful than Dundee the midfield gave the ball away far too much putting pressure on the defence. Hibs still look brittle and seriously struggle to clear their lines. McPake looked well out of it- is he still struggling from injury? Williams looks a great, commanding keeper and I thought McGivern was perhaps my man of the match. The board seems split on Doyle- for what it is worth I though he held the ball up well, especially in the first half.
Dundee looked pretty ordinary but well organised and on this showing I am surprised they are well bottom. Although I though Hibs the better side we made few chances. There remains a lack of creativity and we seem too reliant on the clearly talented Mr Griffiths, who didn’t get enough service.

Third while there did not seem 10300 in the ground the atmosphere was better. While it was not exactly the Kop the atmosphere seemed more supportive and positive. I was impressed with Section 43 and the drum but also the support seemed a bit less critical, despite a disappointing result.

Fourth it is hard for me to say as I have not seen enough of the other terms in the league but on this showing and recent erratic results I suspect Hibs will end up just above mid-way – 4-6th? Hope I am wrong as there is all to play for and no reason we can’t be second.

Good post, it nice to have some perspective, there has been a huge improvement since last season but it has been slow and steady.

down-the-slope
22-01-2013, 05:56 PM

:aok: post away - thoughtful balanced posts might just catch on :greengrin

Malthibby
22-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Happy clappy nonsense. As has been well documented on HN, this is the worst team in Hibernian's history:rolleyes:
GG