PDA

View Full Version : Sportscene stitch up

Spike Mandela
20-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Ha ha highlighting a challenge from Deegan and clearly trying to bring it to Lunny's attention.

Never read anything about this in papers over weekend but Rob MacLeans obvious glee and Levein sticking the knife in is liable to have Deegan out for 2 games.

Jones28
20-01-2013, 11:08 PM
It was a poor challenge, but it didn't merit the 3 minutes of analysis.

PatHead
20-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Didn't see it. Was it worth Lunny getting involved?

LeighLoyal
20-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Ivan looks a different player,

Levein, fat bassa.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Ha ha highlighting a challenge from Deegan and clearly trying to bring it to Lunny's attention.

Never read anything about this in papers over weekend but Rob MacLeans obvious glee and Levein sticking the knife in is liable to have Deegan out for 2 games.

I actually thought Levein's comments were quite fair to be honest. He said he didn't think it would have been a red card in his day but with the way things are now, it should have been a red card.

I can't really argue with that. If the referee had seen that tackle, I'm fairly certain that Deegan would have been off and I fully expect him to be served with a two match ban over the next couple of days.

It really doesn't look nice in the replays.

Westie1875
The only really bad challenge I can recall from Saturday's match came from a Dundee player (can't remember who) who was booked at the time.

I don't watch sportscene so haven't seen the Deegan tackle mentioned.

Ozyhibby
He'll get two games. It's a bad challenge. Lets not bitch and whine about it like our pink chums.

silverhibee

Hate to say it, but yes.

monktonharp
20-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Ivan looks a different player,

Levein, fat bassa.whatever that speccy cant has to say, is irrelavent.he got emptied from the national manager's job,far far too late imho.

.Sean.
20-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Reckless to say the least and he'll probably get a (deserved) ban.

SaulGoodman
20-01-2013, 11:14 PM
It did look a sore one, we can't complain.

Leithenhibby
20-01-2013, 11:15 PM
The difference is, we shall take it on the chin and move on! :aok:

Hibs Class :wink:

Sir David Gray
20-01-2013, 11:15 PM

Yes.

The Dundee player's fortunate he didn't receive quite a serious injury from that.

500miles
20-01-2013, 11:16 PM
He got the ball and there was no intent. A yellow card because it is clumsy, but a red would be harsh.

Russell The Dug
20-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Looked not bad at the time but replays show it was a shocker. Deegan out the cup match will be a dull yin.

SMAXXA
20-01-2013, 11:20 PM
This is a general comment not relating to this instance. What I don't like about this whole thing is it is so open to inconsistency and manipulation as TV control what they show and what they don't which could be the difference between players being suspended or not. Different if the games live then fair enough but games that arnt televised are at an advantage against games that are covered as very difficult to inforce a retrospective ban unless TV footage is shown through the media.

Got to be some governance around this surly?

hibsbollah
20-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Looked not bad at the time but replays show it was a shocker. Deegan out the cup match will be a dull yin.

Im not that bothered if that is the outcome. Taiwo and Claros were developing a bit of an understanding as a pair, and IMO Deegan hasnt been that great since he returned, although others disagreed with me on this yesterday.

Part/Time Supporter
20-01-2013, 11:21 PM

There's two league games before the cup game.

I think it's a yellow card tackle that looks bad, but I guess that Lunny will want to be seen to be evening things up. Thanks Sportscene.

:rolleyes:

Heisenberg
20-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Im not that bothered if that is the outcome. Taiwo and Claros were developing a bit of an understanding as a pair, and IMO Deegan hasnt been that great since he returned, although others disagreed with me on this yesterday.

I'd agree with that.

Spike Mandela
20-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Not so sure. The Dundee player appeared to get his boot trapped in the turf and reckon his pain was more from the way that twisted. Deegan certainly caught him but also got the ball first.

My problem with all this is the fact that tv producers are judge and jury on this. Nothing from Dundee management or player over the weekend or in the press but not the first time Sportscene has chosen to highlight things in the edit with the intention of bringing it to Lunny's attention.

No other tackles were highlighted from any other game.

Twiglet
20-01-2013, 11:23 PM
He got the ball and there was no intent. A yellow card because it is clumsy, but a red would be harsh.

How I saw it too. He could have tried to pull up short, but then he could have injured himself. The Dundee player got up and played on so it obvioulsly wasn't that bad.

If he did get a ban, then surely it would be Aberdeen next weekend and Ross County mid-week?

cocopops1875
20-01-2013, 11:24 PM

Is Claros likely to be a Hibs player :confused:

Ozyhibby
20-01-2013, 11:25 PM

I think it's a yellow card tackle that looks bad, but I guess that Lunny will want to be seen to be evening things up. Thanks Sportscene.

Why have a go at Sportscene? They didn't put the tackle in. Talk about shooting the messenger.

hibsbollah
20-01-2013, 11:26 PM
I'd like John McGlynn's opinion on the challenge before i come to any conclusions myself. A '50/50'?

monktonharp
20-01-2013, 11:29 PM
This is a general comment not relating to this instance. What I don't like about this whole thing is it is so open to inconsistency and manipulation as TV control what they show and what they don't which could be the difference between players being suspended or not. Different if the games live then fair enough but games that arnt televised are at an advantage against games that are covered as very difficult to inforce a retrospective ban unless TV footage is shown through the media.

Got to be some governance around this surly?was the game not on ALBA?

lord bunberry
20-01-2013, 11:29 PM
I'd like John McGlynn's opinion on the challenge before i come to any conclusions myself. A '50/50'?

I think sportscene are making a mountain out of a molehole. Its a man's game after all

Part/Time Supporter
20-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Why have a go at Sportscene? They didn't put the tackle in. Talk about shooting the messenger.

Because nobody else (including the Dundee players and management) seems to have thought it was a bad tackle. It's reminiscent of their witchhunt against Griffiths last season.

stoneyburn hibs
20-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Dont think the Dundee player made much of a fuss about it after he got up and it wasn't any worse than the tackle on Spoony.
Think it was Spoony ?

hibsbollah
20-01-2013, 11:31 PM
I think sportscene are making a mountain out of a molehole. Its a man's game after all

If he said that, i might have a tiny bit of respect for the throbber. But of course he won't :rolleyes:

Russell The Dug
20-01-2013, 11:32 PM

Yeah I would agree with that and with Cairney back we could stick him or Lewis in the middle if Claros goes (I hope not) TT has been unlucky.

Russell The Dug
20-01-2013, 11:34 PM

The first bad challenge that a hibs player made was always going to be scrutinised after that tattooed pricks ban so it's to be expected. Still doesn't make it right tho.

Russell The Dug
20-01-2013, 11:35 PM
How I saw it too. He could have tried to pull up short, but then he could have injured himself. The Dundee player got up and played on so it obvioulsly wasn't that bad.

If he did get a ban, then surely it would be Aberdeen next weekend and Ross County mid-week?

True I forgot about the county game mate.

SMAXXA
20-01-2013, 11:40 PM
was the game not on ALBA?

Yes but my comment is a general point not this specific instance

#FromTheCapital
20-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Haven't seen the challenge on tv and can't remember it at the game but if it was a bad challenge we should just accept any punishment Deegan may be given.
I thought it was a bit cringeworthy when all the hearts fans leapt to the defence of tats after his crunching tackle on mcpake so would hate to see us do similar.

Leithenhibby
20-01-2013, 11:42 PM

:greengrin

cam75
20-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Ok bit slow who is lunny ?

SaulGoodman
20-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Compliance officer.

hibee_girl
20-01-2013, 11:51 PM

:agree:

I think Deegan slows our play down a lot

Leithenhibby
21-01-2013, 12:02 AM

I think you are right, thought the tempo has been way too slow over the last year or two and we are suffering for that! :wink:

cocopops1875
21-01-2013, 12:22 AM

Is Claros a Hibs player now though????

oldbutdim
21-01-2013, 12:30 AM
The difference is, we shall take it on the chin and move on! :aok:

Hibs Class :wink:

The last time Deegan took it on the chin it didn't go well.

JohnStephens91
21-01-2013, 12:42 AM
To be fair Deegan wins the ball, it just ricochets off Irvine and looks nasty because of that. I didn't see much wrong in it.

Shrekko
21-01-2013, 01:12 AM

Yip- all our midfielders like a square ball or a backwards pass but Deegan seems to need to turn one way, then the other, then pirouette before laying the ball back.

I just don't get what folk are seeing in him. His place in the team should be where Stevenson fits in at the moment.

paul_hfc3
21-01-2013, 02:14 AM

Craig Levein pal.

Hibernian Verse
21-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Football fans never fail to amaze me, but blaming Sportscene if Deegan gets a ban is high on the list of 'most ridiculous things ever heard on .net'.

If Deegan gets a ban he's to blame, and are people seriously saying SS shouldn't have shown it? It's a TALKING POINT - you know that thing people discuss after matches?

Hiber-nation
21-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Football fans never fail to amaze me, but blaming Sportscene if Deegan gets a ban is high on the list of 'most ridiculous things ever heard on .net'.

If Deegan gets a ban he's to blame, and are people seriously saying SS shouldn't have shown it? It's a TALKING POINT - you know that thing people discuss after matches?

Aye quite incredible really the levels of paranoia on here.

down-the-slope
21-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Not read rest of thread or seen Sportscene (flicked to BBC south to get MOTD2)...but said at time he was very luck ref had not seen as it looked a red as his foot was off ground and studs showing...I assume replays have confirmed this?

greenginger
21-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Not read rest of thread or seen Sportscene (flicked to BBC south to get MOTD2)...but said at time he was very luck ref had not seen as it looked a red as his foot was off ground and studs showing...I assume replays have confirmed this?

Need to see it in slo-mo ,but Deegan has one foot off the ground ( about 12 inches ) which connects with the ball and then the Dundee players leg as he blocks the tackle.
Deegan was never out of control,over the top, or reckless in any way and it would be a farce if Lunny gets involved and just prove that it is BBC Sportscene that is the arbiter of foul play rather than the SPL.

MB62
21-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I thought at the game it was a good strong fair challenge, and it happened not far away from where I was sitting. However, having seen it on T.V. now, it does look a shocker. No complaints if there is some sort of retrospective punishment.

Andy74
21-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Yip- all our midfielders like a square ball or a backwards pass but Deegan seems to need to turn one way, then the other, then pirouette before laying the ball back.

I just don't get what folk are seeing in him. His place in the team should be where Stevenson fits in at the moment.

Nonsense. Deegan is our best midfielder by a distance.

Spike Mandela
21-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Not blaming Sportscene for Deegans tackle. If you consider it worthy of a red card fair enough but talking point? Never heard anyone mention it from supporters, media or indeed Dundee FC until Sportscene.

However, have deep misgivings about how the SFA compliance officer gets his cases. Does he sit on a Monday and watch the entire 90mins of ALL the games in Scotland ? No, more likely he responds to things brought to his attention by the media. This means that some shadowy tv producer deciding on a 4MIN highlights package can effectively become judge and jury. Leave an incident in it gets highlighted, discussed and goes to the panel. Leave incident out it disappears into the mists of time.

This leaves it open to any agenda in a tv production office. Yes, this argument is open to accusations of paranoia, I accept that. The BBC Scotland Sportscene tv production team of course may be a paragon of virtue and fairness that considers all situations equally and make no decisions based on anything other than doing what is right or it could be like every other office in the land full of people with prejudices, bias and downright bigotry at times.. Let's face it this is the same Corporation that has given us Chick Young, Allan Preston and Jim Traynor. No agendas there.:rolleyes:

To my mind this was such an obvious, blatant attempt by Sportscene to blow the incident out of all proportion and gain some kind of twisted logic justice/revenge for the Stevenson suspension that I strongly suspect some Jambo bias in the backroom production team.

Can't prove it, could be wrong, I may be paranoid but in the murky, backward thinking world of Scottish football nothing would surprise me.

Golden Bear
21-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Not blaming Sportscene for Deegans tackle. If you consider it worthy of a red card fair enough but talking point? Never heard anyone mention it from supporters, media or indeed Dundee FC until Sportscene.

However, have deep misgivings about how the SFA compliance officer gets his cases. Does he sit on a Monday and watch the entire 90mins of ALL the games in Scotland ? No, more likely he responds to things brought to his attention by the media. This means that some shadowy tv producer deciding on a 4MIN highlights package can effectively become judge and jury. Leave an incident in it gets highlighted, discussed and goes to the panel. Leave incident out it disappears into the mists of time.

This leaves it open to any agenda in a tv production office. Yes, this argument is open to accusations of paranoia, I accept that. The BBC Scotland Sportscene tv production team of course may be a paragon of virtue and fairness that considers all situations equally and make no decisions based on anything other than doing what is right or it could be like every other office in the land full of people with prejudices, bias and downright bigotry at times.. Let's face it this is the same Corporation that has given us Chick Young, Allan Preston and Jim Traynor. No agendas there.:rolleyes:

To my mind this was such an obvious, blatant attempt by Sportscene to blow the incident out of all proportion and gain some kind of twisted logic justice/revenge for the Stevenson suspension that I strongly suspect some Jambo bias in the backroom production team.

Can't prove it, could be wrong, I may be paranoid but in the murky, backward thinking world of Scottish football nothing would surprise me.

JimBHibees
21-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Dont watch Sportscene however I am amazed if this was the only bad tackle not dealt with over the weekend. Personally I thought Davidson (Dundee number 6) was very reckless in elbowing Lewis in front of the dug outs in the second half. Given that he was already on a yellow thought it very remiss the ref ignored it.

Also wouldnt rule out Fester texting Potter prior to the programme to highlight it after watching on Alba.

Shrekko
21-01-2013, 10:07 AM

What an arrogant git.

He's average IN MY OPINION.

Jim44
21-01-2013, 10:11 AM
I was surprised that Bathgate didn't make a meal of it in his match report this morning, yet, true to form, he did manage to slip in his usual ' cup final humiliation' jibe. Even if the Sportscene 'exposure' didn't alert the compliance officer, our friends over the other side of town are making sure it is brought to his attention.

Green Fish
21-01-2013, 10:15 AM
It was a clumsy challenge and he'll be punished but it's important to recognise there was no malice in it - if GD had gone in with any force the boys leg or ankle would have broken.

But the yam hysteria will continue - take the decision whatever, wipe our mouth and move on. GG

Andy74
21-01-2013, 10:15 AM
What an arrogant git.

He's average IN MY OPINION.

The fact it's your opinion doesn't stop it from being wrong.

Shrekko
21-01-2013, 10:37 AM
The fact it's your opinion doesn't stop it from being wrong.

Id love to know your credentials for being the adjudicator on players football ability to the point that it's obviously 'fact'.

My early memories of you on this forum were of your love affair with Tam McManus.

JohnStephens91
21-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Id love to know your credentials for being the adjudicator on players football ability to the point that it's obviously 'fact'.

My early memories of you on this forum were of your love affair with Tam McManus.

I love Tam McManus, one of my favourite Hibs players.

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2013, 10:54 AM
I'd say Claros followed by Cairney are our best midfielders with the ball, Deegan is very average in possession imo. Deegan is a very good grafter and decent tackler, but i'd say Claros is even better at that too.

Shrekko
21-01-2013, 11:01 AM
I'd say Claros followed by Cairney are our best midfielders with the ball, Deegan is very average in possession imo. Deegan is a very good grafter and decent tackler, but i'd say Claros is even better at that too.

I'd agree. I think Cairney and Claros are our 2 best, alhough Wotherspoon on his day can be excellent. Taiwo, Deegan and Stevenson are fairly similar ability wise for me.

I don't mind people having different opinions as there probably isn't a huge gulf in ability between all our midfielders. I do object to having my opinion dismissed as 'nonsense' by another ordinary punter and would suggest that his opinion that Deegan is our best midfielder by a long way would be a minority one?

JimBHibees
21-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Personally find Deegan and Claros very slow in possession, both seem very one-paced and can frustrate any attempts to break quick by turning and playing the ball back. Thought Deegan was good against Celtic as he is strong on the ball and kept it well however that game suited that as we were ahead. In other games like Saturday when we need to play a bit quicker having both he and Claros in the middle allied to not having pace wider means we struggle to get at teams. Claros and Deegan both seem to suit a 5 in the middle rather than a 4 when they are the only 2 central. They are both decent players however not sure the balance is as good as it could be.

kev1875
21-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Am I right in saying that he was booked at the time and can't receive a retrospective red card?

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Am I right in saying that he was booked at the time and can't receive a retrospective red card?

Dont think he was Kev? How are you pal, not seen you for a while, when you up next?

JimBHibees
21-01-2013, 11:25 AM

I dont think he was booked.

--------
21-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Need to see it in slo-mo ,but Deegan has one foot off the ground ( about 12 inches ) which connects with the ball and then the Dundee players leg as he blocks the tackle.
Deegan was never out of control,over the top, or reckless in any way and it would be a farce if Lunny gets involved and just prove that it is BBC Sportscene that is the arbiter of foul play rather than the SPL.

Looks to me as if he went over the ball and took out the Dundee player quite comprehensively. the fact that he 'got the ball' really isn't the point; his studs were showing and he connected with the Dundee player mid-shin which is dangerous - a potential bone-breaker. IMO that challenge was just as bad as the one on Mcpake we were so angry about in the derby. I'd expect a 2-game ban and I don't see how we could complain about it.

We'd just look hypocrites if we did.

Spike Mandela
21-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Looks to me as if he went over the ball and took out the Dundee player quite comprehensively. the fact that he 'got the ball' really isn't the point; his studs were showing and he connected with the Dundee player mid-shin which is dangerous - a potential bone-breaker. IMO that challenge was just as bad as the one on Mcpake we were so angry about in the derby. I'd expect a 2-game ban and I don't see how we could complain about it.

Would be funny if Mr Lunny ignored it though. Sickbag would be a hoot!:greengrin

--------
21-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Would be funny if Mr Lunny ignored it though. Sickbag would be a hoot!:greengrin

We can only hope ...

500miles
21-01-2013, 12:19 PM

The difference is Stevenson lunged from about 5 yards away, when he was never getting the ball, and had no intention of taking the ball. If he didn't want to injure McPake, he had plenty of time to pull out.

Deegan didn't have the time to pull out when he had got the ball and seen he was going into the players ankle - he went in to block the clearance, and when his foot landed, it was on the Dundee player. It was clumsy, and while a red card can be justified if someone really wants to, it is nowhere near as clear cut as Stevenson's. To me, it's a booking for a reckless challenge, but only a red card if he hadn't gotten such clear contract with the ball.

Bad Martini
21-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Sportscene?
Potter?
Russian Sailors?

Who gives a ****.

Their opinion means less than a vagrant on the street.

Scottish fitba tv programmery died when Stottsport ceased to be hosted by the big man.:aok:

ENDOF

IWasThere2016
21-01-2013, 12:22 PM

He wasn't booked - and he will get a ban IMO.

happiehibbie
21-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Dreadful tackle worse than Stevensons simple

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Not seen it on TV yet but remember it. I thought he had left the foot in but that he won the ball and the boys “injury” was caused by the ball ricocheting off him!

JimBHibees
21-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Would find that hard to believe.

matty_f
21-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Nope.

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2013, 01:02 PM

Not doubting that Stevensons simple but the tackle wasn’t worse.

kev1875
21-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Dont think he was Kev? How are you pal, not seen you for a while, when you up next?

Thought he was booked going off earlier posts. Im good pal, It's no looking good for a good few weeks with ****** kick off times and the hearts game likely to be moved. Might get an away game in between though.

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Unless Lunny watches every game the full 90 odd minutes, trial by sportscene should never be allowed.

Who's to say the editor is not a Dundee fan or a fan of a team his team are playing against next week, and he pulls out every tackle thats a bit suspicious leading to a player being suspended against the team he supports?

Maybe a bit over the top, :wink: but we cant be suspending players for challenges in some tv games just because the tv company bring it up?

Any challenge to something the ref may have missed should only come from the opposition club imo?

brog
21-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Got to be some governance around this surly?

I agree 100%. Can you imagine the outcry if Celtc were penalised in this manner? FWIW I said at time that Deegan was lucky to escape punishment but I thought a yellow card & there was no intent.

Ozyhibby
21-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Unless Lunny watches every game the full 90 odd minutes, trial by sportscene should never be allowed.

Who's to say the editor is not a Dundee fan or a fan of a team his team are playing against next week, and he pulls out every tackle thats a bit suspicious leading to a player being suspended against the team he supports?

Maybe a bit over the top, :wink: but we cant be suspending players for challenges in some tv games just because the tv company bring it up?

Any challenge to something the ref may have missed should only come from the opposition club imo?

Anyone can refer any incident, so if you are at a game and see something you don't like then just send in an email.
They check tge footage and decide whether to proceed. Thete is nothing wrong with the system.

silverhibee
21-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Dont watch Sportscene however I am amazed if this was the only bad tackle not dealt with over the weekend. Personally I thought Davidson (Dundee number 6) was very reckless in elbowing Lewis in front of the dug outs in the second half. Given that he was already on a yellow thought it very remiss the ref ignored it.

Also wouldnt rule out Fester texting Potter prior to the programme to highlight it after watching on Alba.

At the game and i thought the ref was harsh giving Wotherspoon a yellow card for high feet, i think that was what the yellow was for but thought the ref was harsh giving a yellow, but with him being on a yellow i was worried that he may have got sent off for his lunge at the end of the game that ended up with Dundee having a freekick on the edge of the box.

brog
21-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Anyone can refer any incident, so if you are at a game and see something you don't like then just send in an email.
They check tge footage and decide whether to proceed. Thete is nothing wrong with the system.

Are you serious? Do you really think that's what happens? As other posters have said there was no comment anywhere post game about Deegan's challenge, & yet on Sunday night Sportscene decide to highlight it. There were no complaints from Dundee at the time either although I was surprised at that. If the tackle was bad ( & I haven't seen it again ) then no complaints about any penalty but the process is completely flawed.

Part/Time Supporter
21-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Rob MacLean is an Aberdeen fan. After the Aberdeen v Killie game where Langfield was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity, he was tweeting about how he thought the footage proved that there was another defender present and that the red card should be overturned. It was appealed but the red card was upheld.

https://twitter.com/RobMacleanSport/status/280413031110946816

see what you think of aberdeen's jamie langfield red card appeal chances at 10.30ish bbc1. willie miller and stephen craigan in studio.

i think aberdeen have a case. not based on contact. but because mark reynolds was in the way of a clear scoring chance.

Seveno
21-01-2013, 01:34 PM
It was a clumsy challenge when he was going for the ball. No way was that a sending off offence but he should have been booked.

Only a paranoid yam could think that it was worse than Stevenson's two footed lunge at McPake.

worcesterhibby
21-01-2013, 01:36 PM
you can see the tackle after about 2mins of the BBC highlights that are on their website now. Deegan clearly gets the ball first, but his foot is high with studs showing and he follows through onto the Dundee players ankle. A nasty one. Trying to decide if it's better or worse than Tattoo mans assault is actually a bit pointless. It was a rash challenge and if he gets banned we have little to complain about.

silverhibee
21-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Not seen it on TV yet but remember it. I thought he had left the foot in but that he won the ball and the boys “injury” was caused by the ball ricocheting off him!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20996676

1min 50 secs in, should have been a red by the ref at the time, nasty tackle. imo

Leithenhibby
21-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Not so sure how you arrived at this one, but you have obviously got off the Bus at the wrong stop.

No where close Mr .......... :wink:

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Rob MacLean is an Aberdeen fan. After the Aberdeen v Killie game where Langfield was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity, he was tweeting about how he thought the footage proved that there was another defender present and that the red card should be overturned. It was appealed but the red card was upheld.

https://twitter.com/RobMacleanSport/status/280413031110946816

He may well be a dons fan, but i'm pretty sure he does not sit through all 90 minutes of every game looking for incidents to bring up on his show, that will be someone else's job.

As someone has pointed out, anyone can point out an incident to Lunny, i just feel trial by tv is flawed and unfair? FWIW i cant make my mind up either way on this, i'm not sure now what constitutes a foul these days and whats not?

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2013, 02:22 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20996676

1min 50 secs in, should have been a red by the ref at the time, nasty tackle. imo

Doesn't look great!

hibsbollah
21-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Deegan dove in for the ball, missed it and kicked Irvine with a really sore one. It probably wasnt deliberate (unlike Stevensons which clearly was), but its still 'dangerous' and hed be lucky to escape a ban.

SMAXXA
21-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Just watched the highlights and I dont think its a sending off. Not disputing he went over the ball but it was a booking IMO. Not like it was a 2 feet lunge with both feet of the ground and out of control as they say. He caught him a sare yin aye but a booking for me, would be surprised to see any retrospective punishment. Ive seen lots of instances of this down south recently and generally dont get a red card.

ballengeich
21-01-2013, 05:14 PM
At the game and i thought the ref was harsh giving Wotherspoon a yellow card for high feet, i think that was what the yellow was for but thought the ref was harsh giving a yellow, but with him being on a yellow i was worried that he may have got sent off for his lunge at the end of the game that ended up with Dundee having a freekick on the edge of the box.

Was Spoony booked for the foul? I thought at the time that it might have been for dissent as there seemed to be a gap between the free kick being awarded and the card coming out during which Spoony was having a go at the ref.

Re Deegan, I didn't notice the incident live, but having seen it on the highlights I don't think we can protest if Mr Lunny takes action. It's not as bad as Stevenson's, but it was potentially dangerous. By the way, despite what some posters seem to think, Sportscene aren't judge and jury. They just show things which have happened. It's up to the compliance officer whether to take action, and if he does there's an appeal process available.

Golden Bear
21-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Was Spoony booked for the foul? I thought at the time that it might have been for dissent as there seemed to be a gap between the free kick being awarded and the card coming out during which Spoony was having a go at the ref.

Re Deegan, I didn't notice the incident live, but having seen it on the highlights I don't think we can protest if Mr Lunny takes action. It's not as bad as Stevenson's, but it was potentially dangerous. By the way, despite what some posters seem to think, Sportscene aren't judge and jury. They just show things which have happened. It's up to the compliance officer whether to take action, and if he does there's an appeal process available.

It's edited highlights but who decides on the incidents that are included and those which can be ignored?

ballengeich
21-01-2013, 05:22 PM
It's edited highlights but who decides on the incidents that are included and those which can be ignored?

Programme editors, but they're still not judge and jury.

brog
21-01-2013, 05:29 PM

You're correct, DW was booked for dissent. He somewhat petulantly threw the ball down about 5 yards away & was booked. The crowd howled because Baird had just put the ball in the net long after being pulled up for offside & was not booked. That apart I thought ref was decent.
You're also correct about the process but the problem is who is at Sportscene who decides to highlight certain incidents & then to discuss them in the programme? Why was Griffiths penalised 2 or 3 times last season for gestures when several Yams ( & a certain Arab ) made provocative gestures to the Hibs crowd on several occasions without any action being taken. Who at Sportscene decided to highlight LG but not Satchel or Zaliaukas? For the process to be equitable Lunny's staff should review every game in it's entirety, they can't make judgements affecting players' livelihoods based on some sub editor at the BBC's disposition. Stuart McCall already challenged them over this & I think a legal challenge is only a matter of time.

Prof. Shaggy
21-01-2013, 05:35 PM
A question: as the referee took action at the time and awarded a free-kick, does the compliance officer have any remit in this case?

Golden Bear
21-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Programme editors, but they're still not judge and jury.

No they are not but it would be interesting to find out what the criteria is for incidents to be shown in the highlights program.

The Stevenson incident was different in so far as the entire game was broadcast live. If I remember correctly Leigh Griffiths was suspended last season on the basis of selected TV "evidence" on Sportscene.

SmashinGlass
21-01-2013, 05:48 PM
No they are not but it would be interesting to find out what the criteria is for incidents to be shown in the highlights program.

The Stevenson incident was different in so far as the entire game was broadcast live. If I remember correctly Leigh Griffiths was suspended last season on the basis of selected TV "evidence" on Sportscene.

As with all editorial decisions in any form of media, it will be purely personal discretion.

Stevie Reid
21-01-2013, 09:36 PM
I'd agree. I think Cairney and Claros are our 2 best, alhough Wotherspoon on his day can be excellent. Taiwo, Deegan and Stevenson are fairly similar ability wise for me.

I don't mind people having different opinions as there probably isn't a huge gulf in ability between all our midfielders. I do object to having my opinion dismissed as 'nonsense' by another ordinary punter and would suggest that his opinion that Deegan is our best midfielder by a long way would be a minority one?

Personally find Deegan and Claros very slow in possession, both seem very one-paced and can frustrate any attempts to break quick by turning and playing the ball back. Thought Deegan was good against Celtic as he is strong on the ball and kept it well however that game suited that as we were ahead. In other games like Saturday when we need to play a bit quicker having both he and Claros in the middle allied to not having pace wider means we struggle to get at teams. Claros and Deegan both seem to suit a 5 in the middle rather than a 4 when they are the only 2 central. They are both decent players however not sure the balance is as good as it could be.

I think that our very best football this season has been played when Taiwo and Claros have been the central pairing. Deegan takes responsibility, demands the ball as much as a playmaker would (although here is clearly not one) and shows some nice touches, but his passing ability is lacking.

Alfred E Newman
21-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Just watched the highlights and to me the tackle looks a leg breaker.
It was also interesting watching the Celtic Hearts highlights where I could have sworn that when Hearts scored the ball appeared to take a wicked deflection on its way into the net. Surely that can not be true?

Jonnyboy
21-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Haven't read the whole thread (life's too short :greengrin) so apologies if I'm saying something already covered.

It was a bad challenge, of that there is no doubt and given it's been helpfully highlighted by the good old neutral BBC, I expect Mr Lunny will be all over it like a rash and an appropriate punishment will be doled out.

I do hope, however, that every such tackle in every game is brought to the fore with this televised evidence. Tackles like that happen in just about every game so Mr Lunny will surely be busy in future

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Haven't read the whole thread (life's too short :greengrin) so apologies if I'm saying something already covered.

It was a bad challenge, of that there is no doubt and given it's been helpfully highlighted by the good old neutral BBC, I expect Mr Lunny will be all over it like a rash and an appropriate punishment will be doled out.

I do hope, however, that every such tackle in every game is brought to the fore with this televised evidence. Tackles like that happen in just about every game so Mr Lunny will surely be busy in future

:agree: I agree John, this is a very dangerous path to go down, when sevco are back i wonder how many times we will see sportscene pick up on either them of the other mobs dodgy tackles?

Trial by tv just cant be right in my opinion, nobody complained from Dundee and as you say Mr Lunny will have to watch all SPL games to be completely fair to every club. :confused:

clerriehibs
21-01-2013, 10:50 PM
As with all editorial decisions in any form of media, it will be purely personal discretion.

And for lunny to only seem to react to what's been shown on sportscene is absolutely not justice. The editorial team won't go through all the SPL matches, picking out the contentious or missed incidents ... they'll only choose the ones THEY decide are worthy of their programme, i.e. the ones that will get the viewers tuning in. Therefore, so called "bad boys" like sparky will ALWAYS have anything they're allegedly guilty of shown on the programme.

It's an abysmal state of affairs.

StevieC
21-01-2013, 11:52 PM
A question: as the referee took action at the time and awarded a free-kick, does the compliance officer have any remit in this case?

The ref never gave a free kick. He stopped play for treatment and the game was restarted with a drop ball.

GoldenEagle
22-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Confirmed no action to be taken against Deegan by SFA.

Simkin911
22-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Reported in Scotsman this morning with comment from SFA that the tackle won't be subject to a review by Compliance Officer.

Beefster
22-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Absolutely. If you like your midfielders to create absolutely nothing and rarely pass the ball forward.

I can't believe folk are moaning about the BBC showing one of the very few 'incidents' in the Dundee game. It must have been a nightmare trying to create 'highlights'.

Jim44
22-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Cue meltdown on KB.

500miles
22-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Absolutely. If you like your midfielders to create absolutely nothing and rarely pass the ball forward.

I can't believe folk are moaning about the BBC showing one of the very few 'incidents' in the Dundee game. It must have been a nightmare trying to create 'highlights'.

I think that the gripe is he inconsistency of the situation, with teams who are on telly more likely to face punishment. On top of that, there could be space for allegations of bias if a team is seem to consistently benefit, or suffer, from the decisions and scrutiny.

We might have gotten away with it a wee bit on this occassion, although I maintain that it was a yellow, rather than red card, or indeed, no punishment.

--------
22-01-2013, 10:38 AM

Good old Mr Lunny. :greengrin

hibs0666
22-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Gary Deegan, he kicks who he wants.

Spike Mandela
22-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Obviously Vincent Lunny's Sky+ box is broken. Sportscene, Rob MacLean, Craig Levein and Kickback will be fuming:greengrin

Speedway
22-01-2013, 12:23 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/210874-football-talk-gary-deegan-kilmarnock-cash-battle-hearts-chase-striker/?

Love the caption on the photo.

Stevie Reid
22-01-2013, 12:39 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/210874-football-talk-gary-deegan-kilmarnock-cash-battle-hearts-chase-striker/?

Love the caption on the photo.

:greengrin

DaveF
22-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Good old Mr Lunny. :greengrin

Was there ever a doubt? It's a man's game after all :greengrin

--------
22-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Was there ever a doubt? It's a man's game after all :greengrin

I sometimes wonder, these days.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I think that our very best football this season has been played when Taiwo and Claros have been the central pairing. Deegan takes responsibility, demands the ball as much as a playmaker would (although here is clearly not one) and shows some nice touches, but his passing ability is lacking.

I think all too often he collects the ball and looks intelligently for the right pass only to find no-one moving for him and therefore he ends up having to hold the ball whilst turning full circle at times looking a right diddy. Maybe he thinks too quickly for those around him.

Billy Whizz
22-01-2013, 05:22 PM
As an aside, Deegan can only be a booking away from a suspension anyway

ancient hibee
22-01-2013, 05:56 PM
I've never watched the incident on TV but at the game it was clear the ref didn't call it a foul-he played on and Dundee had a good attacking situation until the ref noticed the Dundee player doing his writhing act.He then stopped play much to the annoyance of the Dundee attackers which increased when it was realised that the physio who came on had nothing to do as there was no injury.

VickMackie
22-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Had to laugh at the EEN today saying that deegan was let off despite extensive coverage on Sportscene. Another good job generating words for their article people!

Www1875hfc
22-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Deegan cleared according to this. :greengrin

http://www.teamtalk.com/scottish-premier/8425501/Hibernian-midfielder-Gary-Deegan-cleared-over-tackle-on-Dundee-s-Gary-Irvine?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Aw the welts fi kickback will be spewing.

Get that roond ye Craigieboy ya roaster. :na na:

Stevie Reid
22-01-2013, 07:21 PM
I think all too often he collects the ball and looks intelligently for the right pass only to find no-one moving for him and therefore he ends up having to hold the ball whilst turning full circle at times looking a right diddy. Maybe he thinks too quickly for those around him.

I'm glad we have a character like Deegan, but I think that Taiwo and Claros are far more accomplished footballers. As I said, IMO our best football has been played with Taiwo and Claros in the centre.

Our midfielders do divide a lot of opinion though, and although Deegan, Claros, Taiwo and Stevenson are limited in an attacking sense, they are miles away from the likes of Palsson, Thornhill and Scott, thankfully.

Jones28
23-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Not seen this anywhere, ssn saying Deegan has been cleared of his tackle on Irvine on Saturday. Didn't think there was a great deal in it myself, but good to see him cleared anyway

Jim44
23-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Not seen this anywhere, ssn saying Deegan has been cleared of his tackle on Irvine on Saturday. Didn't think there was a great deal in it myself, but good to see him cleared anyway

There's loads about it in thread - 'Sportscene Stitch Up'.

Jonnyboy
23-01-2013, 10:20 PM
:agree: I agree John, this is a very dangerous path to go down, when sevco are back i wonder how many times we will see sportscene pick up on either them of the other mobs dodgy tackles?

Trial by tv just cant be right in my opinion, nobody complained from Dundee and as you say Mr Lunny will have to watch all SPL games to be completely fair to every club. :confused:

Not a Scottish game but did anyone see the similarity in the Ramires on Ki tackle in the Swansea v Chelsea game? I bet it's not debated at length on Match of the Day :wink:

silverhibee
23-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Not a Scottish game but did anyone see the similarity in the Ramires on Ki tackle in the Swansea v Chelsea game? I bet it's not debated at length on Match of the Day :wink:

Seen it J, loked even nastier. :agree: :greengrin

Jonnyboy
23-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Seen it J, loked even nastier. :agree: :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2013, 10:30 PM

John i watched the game, but was that bored during it i was switching to the Arsenal game on my computer, so i did not see it.

Yes you are right, nothing will be made of it john, although i'd understand if it was, as its a televised match that Millions watched.

What we are getting in Scotland is someone, a tv editor bringing up incidents he thinks are contentious. Its open to abuse, and flawed, and cant be right imo?

Jonnyboy
23-01-2013, 10:32 PM
John i watched the game, but was that bored during it i was switching to the Arsenal game on my computer, so i did not see it.

Yes you are right, nothing will be made of it john, although i'd understand if it was, as its a televised match that Millions watched.

What we are getting in Scotland is someone, a tv editor bringing up incidents he thinks are contentious. Its open to abuse, and flawed, and cant be right imo?

I agree though I'm not 100% certain whether the Lunny fellae has to react to whoever raises the matter?

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2013, 10:40 PM
I agree though I'm not 100% certain whether the Lunny fellae has to react to whoever raises the matter?

Apparently John anyone can raise a complaint to Mr Lunny, yet if they are raising a complaint on what they see on tv, its only because some editor has shown it on sportscene?

How often do we watch the programme and moan about what they have cut from the game to make the highlights?

As i said earlier, i think its flawed and open to abuse.

silverhibee
23-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Apparently John anyone can raise a complaint to Mr Lunny, yet if they are raising a complaint on what they see on tv, its only because some editor has shown it on sportscene?

How often do we watch the programme and moan about what they have cut from the game to make the highlights?

As i said earlier, i think its flawed and open to abuse.

Don't tell any yams that BH. :wink::greengrin