PDA

View Full Version : Yams Freddy Mercury tribute night

hibs0666
20-01-2013, 08:33 PM
As this homo-erotic image proves, Hearts FC was a liberal, welcoming forward-thinking club back in the early days. Perhaps the Heart of Mid-lothian dance club did gay nights?

However, the bloke in the middle row on the left has taken things a bit too far, what with the shirt unbuttoned to the navel and zip undone. I could swear that he's also gone for a bit of a lunge at the meat and 2 veg of the bloke behind.

For the avoidance of doubt the guy on the far right won the Freddy first prize.

Russell The Dug
20-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Jesus Christ. Not a pretty picture.

Delboy*
20-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Sorry, but I recon this post needs punted. Probably cos there's just nae need, probably cos Freddie is a legend!!

Cabbage East
20-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Freddie Mercury was a freak.

monktonharp
20-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Freddie Mercury was a freak.wisnae a bad chanter though:wink:

Judas Iscariot
20-01-2013, 09:03 PM
The picture is indeed a belter but the reference to Freddie is not required...

Delboy*
20-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Freddie Mercury was a freak.

Why, cos he had big teeth??

Scouse Hibee
20-01-2013, 09:39 PM
I liked Richard Fairbass's tribute band to him........... Right Fred's Dead.

monktonharp
20-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Why, cos he had big teeth??admittedly, he could eat an ' apple through a letter box, wi' gnashers like that but wis a guid chanter

jgl07
20-01-2013, 10:10 PM
I would have thought that Jimmy Saville would have been nearer the mark for the Yams?

500miles
20-01-2013, 11:00 PM
The farthest on the right does look a bit Wembley 86.

muzzhfc
20-01-2013, 11:04 PM
one of the best musical talents of all time used in the same sentence as the yams. the world is upside down. i dont think i want to live anymore

CraigHibee
21-01-2013, 09:19 AM
the guy at the bottom right of the picture looks like the "missing link" could be a relation to steven pressley? :greengrin

i do agree with others though, one of musics finest talents (albeit deceased) mentioned in the same sentence as that mob :confused:

i think eartha kitt would be more appropriate :wink:

Nailrod
21-01-2013, 09:38 AM
the guy at the bottom right of the picture looks like the "missing link" could be a relation to steven pressley?
The reason he's sulking is that he thought it was a 'Planet of The Apes' tribute, and he reckoned he had quite a good chance.

basehibby
21-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Freddie Mercury was an absolute legend - brilliant singer with a brilliant band and if you don't get that then you must have cloth ears!

Funny picture though :greengrin

hibs0666
21-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Freddie Mercury was an absolute legend - brilliant singer with a brilliant band and if you don't get that then you must have cloth ears!

Funny picture though :greengrin

Dunno about cloth ears but all I heard was middle-of-the-road, occasionally-pretentious, elevator music. Maybe it's just me. :wink:

Tynie01011973
21-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Dunno about cloth ears but all I heard was middle-of-the-road, occasionally-pretentious, elevator music. Maybe it's just me. :wink:

Just need to ask anyone who was the standout act at Live Aid at Wembley 1985 to see what a great band they were :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Just need to ask anyone who was the standout act at Live Aid at Wembley 1985 to see what a great band they were :greengrin

I was at live aid just to the left of the stage, and you knew during their 17 minutes you were witnessing the best live gig ever.

I saw Queen the year after at Wembley again and at Knebworth, but their brief appearance at live aid was just amazing, the hairs on your neck stood up.

Everyone and i mean everyone joined in with their songs, that certainly was not the case with the rest of the bill.

Sudds_1
21-01-2013, 07:35 PM

its just you :agree:

Iggy Pope
21-01-2013, 08:14 PM
its just you :agree:

Naw it's no.

Bloated stadium knob-rock.

Chibs
21-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Is it just me but do they not look like they have just been told that they won't be paid.

Glory Lurker
21-01-2013, 08:24 PM
I was at live aid just to the left of the stage, and you knew during their 17 minutes you were witnessing the best live gig ever.

I saw Queen the year after at Wembley again and at Knebworth, but their brief appearance at live aid was just amazing, the hairs on your neck stood up.

Everyone and i mean everyone joined in with their songs, that certainly was not the case with the rest of the bill.

What was your take on U2, BH? I wasn't lucky enough to be at Live Aid, but I became a fully signed-up U2 loon (now fully recovered, thankfully) on the back of their set.

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2013, 08:41 PM
What was your take on U2, BH? I wasn't lucky enough to be at Live Aid, but I became a fully signed-up U2 loon (now fully recovered, thankfully) on the back of their set.

I thought they were very good, i had not been that much of a fan before but thought they played well, interacted with the crowd and generally sounded good.

Queen obviously stole the show, but the beginning when Status Quo came on will also live with me till i die, the place erupted and if you think the Hibees bounce is good, you should have seen it bounce at Wembley that day? :greengrin

The day is memorable, although some of it was crap, but being there was a day i will never forget, and i can say it now thanks to someone who left the tickets on the coach i was driving from Luton to Heathrow. :greengrin

That was a wallet that was never getting handed in. :wink:

Glory Lurker
21-01-2013, 08:49 PM
I thought they were very good, i had not been that much of a fan before but thought they played well, interacted with the crowd and generally sounded good.

Queen obviously stole the show, but the beginning when Status Quo came on will also live with me till i die, the place erupted and if you think the Hibees bounce is good, you should have seen it bounce at Wembley that day? :greengrin

The day is memorable, although some of it was crap, but being there was a day i will never forget, and i can say it now thanks to someone who left the tickets on the coach i was driving from Luton to Heathrow. :greengrin

Thanks for that.

It was an immense day and even this long after it, I'm jealous of anyone who was there!

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks for that.

It was an immense day and even this long after it, I'm jealous of anyone who was there!

I have just googled the live aid set, as to be honest a lot of it went right over my head, i'd heard of a lot of them but was not up with any of their music. The one band who really disappointed me was Brian Ferry, i'd seen him in the playhouse around 76/77??? and loved him, but he was very poor.

Adam Ant, Nick Kershaw and Howard Jones were big stars if i remember rightly at the time, but very poor live acts imo.

The style council were decent from memory, and The Who, but thats the kind of music i like so could be biased?

As i said a great day, there was an awful lot of breaks with nothing happening, but a day i dont think anyone will forget there or not? :top marks

Glory Lurker
21-01-2013, 09:22 PM
As i said a great day, there was an awful lot of breaks with nothing happening, but a day i dont think anyone will forget there or not? :top marks

That's definitely true. I couldn't tell you what I was doing last week, but I could run on for ages about 13 July 1985!

Wembley67
21-01-2013, 09:24 PM
The farthest on the right does look a bit Wembley 86.

Oi, that's my brother!

Hibrandenburg
22-01-2013, 08:56 AM

For some reason I'm reluctant to admit that I've seen Quo about 10 times over the years and I loved it every time :embarrass

Well, there you have it.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2013, 09:55 AM
For some reason I'm reluctant to admit that I've seen Quo about 10 times over the years and I loved it every time :embarrass

Well, there you have it.

I went to see Quo on their farewell tour :greengrin around 10 years ago in Blackpool, they were also the support band at Knebworth and Wembley for Queen. I went to see them in Blackpool on strength of those concerts and obviously the live aid one.

Yet watching them on their own was a huge disappointment for me, i hardly knew any of the songs and they only played their hits around 25 minutes from the end of their set.

Maybe they were pushing a new album, i dont know? But when folk say all their songs sound the same, i know what they mean now.

Most of their hit songs i really like, but their new album stuff if thats what it was bored me rigid?

Jonnyboy
22-01-2013, 09:30 PM

How's the lift operator job going J? :greengrin

jabis
23-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I went to see Quo on their farewell tour :greengrin around 10 years ago in Blackpool, they were also the support band at Knebworth and Wembley for Queen. I went to see them in Blackpool on strength of those concerts and obviously the live aid one.

Yet watching them on their own was a huge disappointment for me, i hardly knew any of the songs and they only played their hits around 25 minutes from the end of their set.

Maybe they were pushing a new album, i dont know? But when folk say all their songs sound the same, i know what they mean now.

Most of their hit songs i really like, but their new album stuff if thats what it was bored me rigid?

ha went to see them circa 25 years ago on their "farewell tour" @ the playhouse............great night,tho' still contemplating getting in touch with the Advertising Authorities.

the only time I saw the Playhouse bounce harder was Runrig and Rainbow,around the same time :rockin:

Hibrandenburg
23-01-2013, 05:38 PM
ha went to see them circa 25 years ago on their "farewell tour" @ the playhouse............great night,tho' still contemplating getting in touch with the Advertising Authorities.

the only time I saw the Playhouse bounce harder was Runrig and Rainbow,around the same time :rockin:

OMD, I was in the same room as you :shocked:

:greengrin

jabis
24-01-2013, 04:14 PM
OMD, I was in the same room as you :shocked:

:greengrin

nah !.....never went to see OMD :greengrin