PDA

View Full Version : Best Hibs change top

Miguel
20-01-2013, 07:14 PM
My top three:
1) the 1960s all-white with green trim (although not sure if they wore it often).
2) 'Greensleeves' (as worn by Turnbull's team v Hearts, Sporting and so on).
3) The most recent purple one.

Iggy Pope
20-01-2013, 07:18 PM
My top three:
1) the 1960s all-white with green trim (although not sure if they wore it often).

I've missed this one - any evidence of this?

Pretty Boy
20-01-2013, 07:19 PM
2000/01 white number we wore in the SC final was a cracker.

The purple and green stripe one circa 1995 is a favourite of mine though. Would love a dark purple away top again.

Iggy Pope
20-01-2013, 07:25 PM
I've missed this one - any evidence of this?

Maybe this one?
Don't know if it got aired much right enough. Paddy looks exceptional in it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2013, 07:32 PM
The Bukta one that got us into trouble was great. Looked retro even when it was new.

Chibs
20-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Maybe this one?
Don't know if it got aired much right enough. Paddy looks exceptional in it.
Great photo.
I like the white top.
I had to go back to look at the photo again to spot the legend that is Pat Stanton,front row centre,
Unfortunatley i do not recognise any other player.
Perhaps someone can name the squad.

Iggy Pope
20-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Great photo.
I like the white top.
I had to go back to look at the photo again to spot the legend that is Pat Stanton,front row centre,
Unfortunatley i do not recognise any other player.
Perhaps someone can name the squad.

Bobby Duncan, John Fraser, Peter Cormack, Jimmy O'Rourke, Ronnie Simpson, Neil Martin and Eric Stevenson all recognisable....

Plagiarising a bit here though!

Hibernian 1963-64
Top: J. Easton, J. Baxter, J. Doherty, T. Preston, Bobby Duncan.
Standing:- J. Fraser, Jim Scott, Peter Cormack, W. Wilson, Jim O'Rourke, A. Keay, T. Leishman, J. Grant, R. Simpson, G. Gartshore, P. Hughes.
Seated:- J. Byrne, J. McLelland, T. McGlynn, A. Cameron, J. Stevenson, W. Toner, D. Falconer, G. Baker
Front:- A. Seaton, N. Martin, Pat Stanton, Billy Simpson, Eric Stevenson

Pretty Boy
20-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Bobby Duncan, John Fraser, Peter Cormack, Jimmy O'Rourke, Ronnie Simpson, Neil Martin and Eric Stevenson all recognisable....

Plagiarising a bit here though!

Hibernian 1963-64
Top: J. Easton, J. Baxter, J. Doherty, T. Preston, Bobby Duncan.
Standing:- J. Fraser, Jim Scott, Peter Cormack, W. Wilson, Jim O'Rourke, . Keay, T. Leishman, J. Grant, R. Simpson, G. Gartshore, P. Hughes.
Seated:- J. Byrne, J. McLelland, T. McGlynn, A. Cameron, J. Stevenson, W. Toner, D. Falconer, G. Baker
Front:- A. Seaton, N. Martin, Pat Stanton, Billy Simpson, Eric Stevenson

Can't believe I didn't recognise my own Grandad was in the photo until you posted this!

Jonnyboy
20-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Can't believe I didn't recognise my own Grandad was in the photo until you posted this!

To be fair he probably looks a lot younger in the pic :greengrin

PS Who is it as a matter of interest? (accept you might not want to say)

Pretty Boy
20-01-2013, 08:11 PM
To be fair he probably looks a lot younger in the pic :greengrin

PS Who is it as a matter of interest? (accept you might not want to say)

Joe McClelland.

Should add my Dad was most pleased you got the spelling of the surname correct in your book.

Iggy Pope
20-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Joe McClellland.

Should add my Dad was most pleased you got the spelling of the surname correct in your book.

Four L's?????
:greengrin

Pretty Boy
20-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Four L's?????

Oops.

I mean...... Don't know what you're talking about.

Iggy Pope
20-01-2013, 08:16 PM

It's at wee times like this we all remember why we love the Hibs

Derek Dougan
20-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Stevie, check this out http://www.toffs.com/Hibernian-1960s-Away/productinfo/2045/

Got one on order for Mr Paton.

Jonnyboy
20-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Joe McClelland.

Excellent :aok:

Four L's?????

I got it righ but PB got a tad carried away :greengrin

By the way, Mr McClelland was a super player for the mighty Hibees with over 250 mappearnces to his name :agree:

Iggy Pope
20-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Stevie, check this out http://www.toffs.com/Hibernian-1960s-Away/productinfo/2045/

Got one on order for Mr Paton.

He'll like that. Most of his clobber comes from bygone days.

yeezus.
20-01-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm so annoyed at myself for missing last years thistle kit - really liked it.

LaMotta
20-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Best two are:

1983 - 85 (http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/h/hibernian/old-hibernian-football-shirt-s5893.html)

1985 - 86 (http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/h/hibernian/old-hibernian-football-shirt-s5894.html)

nonshinyfinish
20-01-2013, 09:26 PM
The purple and green stripe one circa 1995

Winner.

Clarence
20-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Best two are:

1983 - 85 (http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/h/hibernian/old-hibernian-football-shirt-s5893.html)

1985 - 86 (http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/h/hibernian/old-hibernian-football-shirt-s5894.html)

The 85/86 strip was my first and I don't think it has ever been bettered.

Russell The Dug
20-01-2013, 09:48 PM
2000/01 white number we wore in the SC final was a cracker.

The purple and green stripe one circa 1995 is a favourite of mine though. Would love a dark purple away top again.

That top always reminds me of Freddie Arpingon for some reason. Cracking top with tidy collar though.

I liked the yellow away top we had when we beat Celtic 3-1 at Parkhead. Black out was decent too.

LaMotta
20-01-2013, 09:50 PM
The 85/86 strip was my first and I don't think it has ever been bettered.

would love to get that top, but it is as scarce as rockin horse poo

3pm
20-01-2013, 09:53 PM
I always like the white, never keen on yellow.

I liked the mint top (I know I am in the minority) but it was runied by not having black shorts and socks!

stoneyburn hibs
20-01-2013, 09:54 PM
The Bukta one that got us into trouble was great. Looked retro even when it was new.

Is that the purple top ? , easily my favourite if so. Why did it get us into trouble ?

MoscowHibs
20-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Is that the purple top ? , easily my favourite if so. Why did it get us into trouble ?

Think he's on about the green top that had "Bukta" splattered on it. The beeb wouldn't show highlights as sponsorship was a no go. We ended up wearing a tv top with club crest and no big bukta on it.

Jones28
20-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Which was the white with Adidas stripes on the sleeves in green? Now that was a football top. Mind you, our home as away kits this season are right up there, it's certainly my favourite ever home shirt.

stoneyburn hibs
20-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Think he's on about the green top that had "Bukta" splattered on it. The beeb wouldn't show highlights as sponsorship was a no go. We ended up wearing a tv top with club crest and no big bukta on it.

Ok Thanks.

RCNG
20-01-2013, 11:13 PM
The purple chic charnley one from 97? Was the first strip I had.

Miguel
21-01-2013, 12:12 AM
1960s-Away/productinfo/2045/
The retro strips company, Toffs, do the 1960s away kit, although they have spoiled it a wee bit by adding. A Hibs badge, 'for distinction', which the original didn't have. As far as I'm aware, Hibs only used this for the pre-season public trial match - presumably where the picture included in an earlier post was taken - unless anyone knows otherwise. Suppose there was no need for us to have a change strip, given no one else in Scotland played in green (Celtic excepted).
Don't know if Hibs ever had a change strip prior to this, although I have seen an old photo where we wore black shorts against Hearts at Tynecastle -20s/30s? - when there was apparently a rule that all away teams wore black shorts - don't know why.

AndyM_1875
21-01-2013, 09:21 AM
1960s-Away/productinfo/2045/
The retro strips company, Toffs, do the 1960s away kit, although they have spoiled it a wee bit by adding. A Hibs badge, 'for distinction', which the original didn't have. As far as I'm aware, Hibs only used this for the pre-season public trial match - presumably where the picture included in an earlier post was taken - unless anyone knows otherwise. Suppose there was no need for us to have a change strip, given no one else in Scotland played in green (Celtic excepted).
Don't know if Hibs ever had a change strip prior to this, although I have seen an old photo where we wore black shorts against Hearts at Tynecastle -20s/30s? - when there was apparently a rule that all away teams wore black shorts - don't know why.

Here you go...
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/hibernian.htm

We used to wear black socks too on and off in that period.

Bukta#8
21-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Silky yellow bukta class:not worth

Ray_
21-01-2013, 09:46 AM
My top three:

I loved the original purple one from 1972, I think the only time we wore it was in the away leg in Lisbon [Sporting]. Being the age of Glam Rock and being 16 at the time, it looked great.

PS.
Progressive [as it was called at the time] was my taste in music, but Slade etc certainly was better than the likes of Jimmy Osmond. :greengrin

Miguel
21-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Our school team (Holyrood) wore that replica kit for a bit in the 1970s.
When they brought that kit in, it was rumoured that Hibs were going to change their official colours to purple. My Dad, who was in the building trade, swore that if they did he would take a digger into Easter Road and dig up the pitch!
Afraid I was a Slade man at the time. Prof came later!

zlatan
22-01-2013, 12:03 AM

I will own this again one day. One day.

worcesterhibby
22-01-2013, 10:36 AM
got to be 70's Bukta Purple

I know it's not a Hibs strip, but you have to love the shirt that Dundee wore on their 1953 South African Tour !

http://www.toffs.com/images/2461fullimage.jpg

worcesterhibby
22-01-2013, 10:43 AM
It's also interesting to note that on Toffs, Hibs have as many or more different strips available than every other Scottish club except Celtic. They do eight different tops for Hibs..the same as they do for Rangers, but only bother with 7 for hearts, , 5 for Dundee Utd and Aberdeen, 2 for Motherwell, 1 for Killi and St Johnstone etc

Just another example of why we are more important ! :greengrin

Miguel
22-01-2013, 05:56 PM

I know it's not a Hibs strip, but you have to love the shirt that Dundee wore on their 1953 South African Tour !

That is pure quality. The fans mustn't have known whetherbthose shirts contained football players, or shortbread.

Pretty Boy
22-01-2013, 07:26 PM

That is a thing of beauty.

Fergos
22-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Silky yellow bukta class:not worth

Agree, class Top.

Often overlooked in these type of chats..had it when I was at primary and let my Mum throw it out......looked superb with the green shorts.

Dont think it's even on that historical kits site?

Fav away top ever, class!

GGTTH

Jonnyboy
22-01-2013, 09:55 PM

Hibs tartan would look great as a strip :thumbsup:

worcesterhibby
23-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Agree, class Top.

Often overlooked in these type of chats..had it when I was at primary and let my Mum throw it out......looked superb with the green shorts.

Dont think it's even on that historical kits site?

Fav away top ever, class!

GGTTH

That is a good shout I had it as a wee laddie too. When I grew up a bit and the sleeves got too short my mum got her sewing box out and turned it into a short sleeve top for me! It was a bit tight though and everytime I punched the air, reeling away from an imaginery goal against the yams the shirt would ride up and my belly would pop out from underneath.....much like Ally McLeod in his latter years !!:greengrin