PDA

View Full Version : DR

Amit
20-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Spoke to him tonight. He's finished, won't play football again.

Thanks for the memories Deek.

spike220
20-01-2013, 01:42 AM

Maybe sign up for a fans team! Any idea how he is going to make a living?

Hibercelona
20-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Maybe sign up for a fans team! Any idea how he is going to make a living?

I don't think he's that short on cash tbh.

Shame if he is leaving professional football for good. He should have really been at his peak by this age, not packing it in.

Chibs
20-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Sad to hear this.
One of the greatest players to play for the Hibs.
All the best Deek.:flag:

Pete
20-01-2013, 02:02 AM
He's just turned 30 so I'm hoping this is some sort of emotional reaction reached with the help of alcohol. If he does decide to retire it will be sad given the natural ability he has. He could easily do a job for someone if he wanted to.

Look at the amount of goals...amazing!

Cameron1875
20-01-2013, 02:16 AM
I really hope Riordan was just saying this cause he was bevvied and didn't mean it seriously. The buzz when he rejoined the club was fantastic and I know he has made some wrong decisions in the past but he should have been playing in the premiership by now imo.

rossi
20-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Has to be one of the biggest wastes of talent ever.

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 02:34 AM

Funny i was with him tonight and he never gave that impression, is looking to get back playing football as soon as he can find a club. :aok:

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 02:41 AM
I don't think he's that short on cash tbh.

Shame if he is leaving professional football for good. He should have really been at his peak by this age, not packing it in.

He isn't. :aok:

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Sad to hear this.
One of the greatest players to play for the Hibs.
All the best Deek.:flag:

:confused: Not true. :aok:

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 02:44 AM
He's just turned 30 so I'm hoping this is some sort of emotional reaction reached with the help of alcohol. If he does decide to retire it will be sad given the natural ability he has. He could easily do a job for someone if he wanted to.

Look at the amount of goals...amazing!

What can i say. :cb

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 02:45 AM
I really hope this is alcohol related. The buzz when he rejoined the club was fantastic. I know he has made some wrong decisions in the past but he should be playing football to a higher standard than Hibs imo.

What. :confused:

Hibercelona
20-01-2013, 02:49 AM

Cheers! :aok:

I couldn't imagine Deek giving up the game this early. He's got to keep them cheek muscles from swelling up again. :wink:

You aren't a "Spanish" waiter by any chance?:hmmm:

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 02:58 AM
Cheers! :aok:

I couldn't imagine Deek giving up the game this early. He's got to keep them cheek muscles from swelling up again. :wink:

You aren't a "Spanish" waiter by any chance?:hmmm:

:greengrin

:aok:

But this thread should be fun. :greengrin

Eh Steve. I see you. :greengrin

Pete
20-01-2013, 04:19 AM

For the avoidance of doubt I mean drunken chat with the OP, not retirement due to alcohol problems.:aok:

I hope he's looking after himself and is surrounded by responsible, mature adults when he heads out.:greengrin

spike220
20-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Funny i was with him tonight and he never gave that impression, is looking to get back playing football as soon as he can find a club. :aok:

I wonder; could he still do a job for us?

Badabing
20-01-2013, 06:22 AM
Social convener.

Mr White
20-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Should head to dumbarton with nid and bang some goals in to keep them up- GOC too for that matter.

Beefster
20-01-2013, 07:27 AM

:confused: Not true. :aok:

What. :confused:

So is it true or not?

spike220
20-01-2013, 08:41 AM
So is it true or not?

I dont think the truth has ever been requirement of posting on hibs net.

Zazu62
20-01-2013, 08:58 AM
He's finished anyway

DC_Hibs
20-01-2013, 09:57 AM
A spell at Dumbarton worked wonders for Stephen Dobbie's career and I'm pretty sure that was a division or two below where they are now.

After failing at the worst club in English league football he won't have too many offers and games there between now and the end of the season might get him a better offer for 2013/14.

Good to hear he will carry on though as it's way too early to finish up.

Edit - wiki confirms it was 3rd division at the time of his loan there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Dobbie

TornadoHibby
20-01-2013, 10:40 AM

Now gentlemen, these are views that you can trust IMO! :wink: :aok:

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Should head to dumbarton with nid and bang some goals in to keep them up- GOC too for that matter.

That is not such a bad idea. IIRC, ex Arab and Blackburn mid, Billy McKinlay was playing for Clydebank up here after falling down the rungs a bit, but then moved to Leicester City and went into their first team for two(?) seasons.

Suppose though, that what motivate him to turn things around won't depend on what we post here.

hfc rd
20-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Agree with this. Nid will know how to get the best out of the pair and the both of them will definitely do the business in the 1st division.

Russell The Dug
20-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Surely he will get himself sorted with a side. Even the likes of Partick. He needs regular football, something he's not had for years.

Mr White
20-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Surely he will get himself sorted with a side. Even the likes of Partick. He needs regular football, something he's not had for years.

Partick could be good for him- flying high with players who could supply him with chances, could see him scoring a good few goals in div 1.

One Day
20-01-2013, 11:13 AM

I think everyone would like to see him sort himself out but sadly it doesnt look like he will

MrSmith
20-01-2013, 11:43 AM
I seem to recall the username 'The Waiter' on both the Edinburgh derby forum and EEN web pages, very much a Jumbo, arrogant and extremely contentious! Not that I'm suggesting for one moment our op is one in the same ... :devil:

LeighLoyal
20-01-2013, 12:47 PM
I'd have him back, has never failed to deliver in a Hibs jersey. I'd have GOC back, too, but only if he is on a drug rehab programme.

Northernhibee
20-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Dumbarton would be a good move; he's not SPL quality anymore so a chance to play at a level he's comfortable at under a manager he knows could be good for him. Would hopefully be able to finish his career banging in goals rather than being out of his depth like he was at Bristol Rovers.

jdships
20-01-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd have him back, has never failed to deliver in a Hibs jersey. I'd have GOC back, too, but only if he is on a drug rehab programme.

:bye:

LeighLoyal
20-01-2013, 12:57 PM
:bye:

Keep watching Hibs0 then. :rolleyes:

steviehibsleith
20-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Cant believe hes finished with football at only 30. Never had a serious injury and has bags of natural ability. Cant believe a top four first division club wont take a chance for him to improve his fitness if thats the only issue he has.

jdships
20-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Keep watching Hibs0 then. :rolleyes:

Remember ' ......... It's in the past and in the past it must remain '
Deek has proved , thuis season , his heart does not appear to still be in the game.
We all enjoyed watching him play and thank him for those memories
This surely is not the type of player we want/need at ER in January 2013 ?

Don't lets allow emotion to rule our signing policies :confused:

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Cant believe hes finished with football at only 30. Never had a serious injury and has bags of natural ability. Cant believe a top four first division club wont take a chance for him to improve his fitness if thats the only issue he has.

Where did yo read that. :confused:

marinello59
20-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Where did yo read that. :confused:

I read it on here. In fact it was on this thread. have you not been paying attention?:bitchy:
To mark his retirement I am organising a collection. I thought we could all chip in for a Carriage Clock or, if we get enough, a Hostess Trolley. :agree:

steviehibsleith
20-01-2013, 01:57 PM
From the Scotsman - Derek Riordan fails to make the cut at MK Dons
MK Dons have neglected the chance to take on Derek Riordan after the former Hibernian and Celtic striker was deemed too unfit to be assessed by the club. Riordan, who travelled with the club on their pre-season tour in the Republic of ireland, was sent home after being too out of shape.

Also other reports from Ross County St Johnstone and Bristol Rovers

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2013, 02:25 PM
It's quite astonishing and almost unbearably sad that Riordan and O'Connor, who had an amazing partnership for years, now both appear to be washed up at 30, when they should be at their peak and staring for club and country.

Both players might have done reasonably well out of the game financially, but being unable to play by 30 suggests that they have little more to offer it in a coaching or other capacity.

From 30 to retirement age is a long time to be doing nothing, and it doesn't seem there's much else down for them. The devil does tend to make work for idle hands, and you have to worry (not that they'd want you to) about the future of those two chaps.

NOLA
20-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Discipline = Reward deeks never showed enough discipline in regards living his life the right way and so hes missed out on big rewards, its a short career so make the most of it and enjoy life once youv hung up your boots, too hard for players to grasp?? anyway good luck to deeks, still feel lucky to have seen him play.

LeighLoyal
20-01-2013, 02:45 PM
It's quite astonishing and almost unbearably sad that Riordan and O'Connor, who had an amazing partnership for years, now both appear to be washed up at 30, when they should be at their peak and staring for club and country.

Plenty others have been washed up at 30, I still think they could do a job in the spl for us. GOC scored twelve league goals in a poor Hibs team last year and Deek scored similar the year before in another guff side.

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Plenty others have been washed up at 30, I still think they could do a job in the spl for us. GOC scored twelve league goals in a poor Hibs team last year and Deek scored similar the year before in another guff side.

I agree partially, but I would question just how interested they are in playing football at a reasonable level. I'm not judging them, but any professional sport involves a level of sacrifice. For whatever reasons, I don't think either Garry or Derek are willing or able to commit to that anymore.

Winston Ingram
20-01-2013, 02:52 PM
I'd struggle to see what club would take him. He's just flopped in league 2. He was gash for St Johnstone last season. The attitude and effort levels he showed in his last season with us was horrendous.

I can see him getting an SPL team and i suspect he'd see the lower leagues as beneath him

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 02:57 PM
For the avoidance of doubt I mean drunken chat with the OP, not retirement due to alcohol problems.:aok:

I hope he's looking after himself and is surrounded by responsible, mature adults when he heads out.:greengrin

Ahh i see. :doh: me :greengrin

As always. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
20-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Good luck to the guy. Wouldn't have him back at Hibs now nor do I believe that would be a good move for him. Whatever people think of him, his scoring record for us was fantastic and he deserves nothing but respect on that front.

As others have said perhaps a drop to SFL1 to score a few goals and get a bit confidence back wouldn't be a bad idea. I've no idea what his financial situation is though so maybe that's not an option.

Thecat23
20-01-2013, 03:14 PM
No matter how its dressed up both players at this age should be at the peak or just peaked. Both for me are finished at any decent lever. Deeks was superb in his young days as was Gaz. Both have lived a rather more flamboyant lifestyle and you can argue till your blue in the face that for me has had a massive impact on both their careers. Folk saying they can come back and be great for Hibs I honestly don't get. Both are very unfit, had their chance and yes we are poor in some games lately but if you think having two washed up former players back is going forward I'm glad Pat is still in charge. Both not having clubs says it all. Great in their younger days and should be left at that. I'm grateful I seen both at their best.

Northernhibee
20-01-2013, 03:59 PM

Thing is, I doubt if he really wants to.

Jonnyboy
20-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Thing is, I doubt if he really wants to.

Do you know Derek? Does he confide in you? If not your doubts are entirely in your own head

stu in nottingham
20-01-2013, 06:25 PM
It's a pretty sad situation and one it's hard to take the emotion out of, such is Derek's association with Hibs.

It's almost like you want the club to let him use their facilities to train for a prolonged period, just so they could take a look at him close up and see if he can get himself up to scratch and end his career on a high note. I understand though that others will state that he's not the 'right' type of individual that would fit into Pat Fenlon's plans and that's a fair point.

I'm trying to think of examples where players in a similar situation have 'come back' but I'm struggling to come up with them.

Northernhibee
20-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Do you know Derek? Does he confide in you? If not your doubts are entirely in your own head

All I know is that he failed to score a single goal or gain a contract extention in league two. That was an opportunity for him to bang goals in and show he was still relevant and he didn't take it.

You have to question his motivation nowadays.

Jonnyboy
20-01-2013, 06:53 PM
All I know is that he failed to score a single goal or gain a contract extention in league two. That was an opportunity for him to bang goals in and show he was still relevant and he didn't take it.

He failed to score at BR that is true. In a crap team that created little and sacked the manager who signed him. Hardly surprising no contract was offered in those circumstances.

3pm
20-01-2013, 06:58 PM
I still can't believe he's finished.

HH81
20-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Does anyone know what he had for dinner today?

Is he up for signing for Halifax Town?

BarneyK
20-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I seem to recall the username 'The Waiter' on both the Edinburgh derby forum and EEN web pages, very much a Jumbo, arrogant and extremely contentious! Not that I'm suggesting for one moment our op is one in the same ... :devil:

1600 odd decoy posts to lower our guard is a bit elaborate is it not?

Northernhibee
20-01-2013, 07:17 PM
He failed to score at BR that is true. In a crap team that created little and sacked the manager who signed him. Hardly surprising no contract was offered in those circumstances.

St Johnstone also saw nothing in him. His Chinese team didn't see anything in him by the end. Truth be told, his last season with us I was seeing less and less from him.

3pm
20-01-2013, 07:18 PM
St Johnstone also saw nothing in him. His Chinese team didn't see anything in him by the end. Truth be told, his last season with us I was seeing less and less from him.

You try running about after 12 jaegerbombs.

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 07:27 PM

The manager that signed him for Bristol Rovers got sacked at the end of December, i believe that he was willing to give DR a contract until the end of the season, but that was not to be with the new manager that came in, he got rid of half the team, i happened to watch a few of the games and Mark McGhee would play a 4-2-3-1 formation with DR playing on the left of the 2, which was a strange place to play him and BR fans agreed with this, they didn't want him defending and tracking back all the time, they wanted to see him play upfront and get forward and hopefully score goals, but the manager asked him to play a position that was a bit alien to DR, he also was out for 4-5 weeks with an injury too, which was also new to DR.

His motivation nowadays is just the same as the past, he wants to get back playing football again soon as possible, he has kept himself fit by doing running and going to the gym, doesn't sound like a guy who has gave up his career. :aok:

Winston Ingram
20-01-2013, 07:38 PM

To say that a player can't earn a contract becaue of the team he's in is ridiculous. Everyone is responsible for his own performance. Even if if he wasn't getting much service he still had training sessions to demonstrate what he was all about. His attitude round the club, his will to win etc. By your logic Lionel Messi wouldn't win a contract there

Jonnyboy
20-01-2013, 07:39 PM
To say that a player can't earn a contract becaue of the team he's in is ridiculous. Everyone is responsible for his own performance. Even if if he wasn't getting much service he still had training sessions to demonstrate what he was all about. His attitude round the club, his will to win etc. By your logic Lionel Messi wouldn't win a contract there

Messi? Never Hibs class

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know what he had for dinner today?

Is he up for signing for Halifax Town?

Bits and pop. :greengrin

Northernhibee
20-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Messi? Never Hibs class

Not Irish either.

marinello59
20-01-2013, 07:52 PM
1600 odd decoy posts to lower our guard is a bit elaborate is it not?

It would require quite an effort to keep the pretence up that long ya peg selling caravan dwelling hobo.

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 08:00 PM
What happened to The Waiter.

BarneyK
20-01-2013, 08:12 PM
It would require quite an effort to keep the pretence up that long ya peg selling caravan dwelling hobo.

:greengrin

Judas Iscariot
20-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Derek Riordan on the bench or Kuqi/Caldwell...

Hmmmmmmm

Tough one eh?!

monktonharp
20-01-2013, 09:32 PM
What can i say. :cbUncle Silverhibee, I am pretty sure that you can relate a message to DR, that he is held in high regard by many real Hibernian fans, on this forum and others. he was one,if not the best Hibs player to grace the holy ground for at least the last 10 years. a product from the club youth system, his goals were a shining beacon to fans when we had very little else to cheer about at times. I was personally gutted when he went along the M8, almost akin to the time when Paddy Stanton went! both moves seem to have a lot of similarities, although we've never had the full story re-the D.Riordan move.I'm sure he still has a lot to offer, and hope he does find a club soon.

silverhibee
20-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Uncle Silverhibee, I am pretty sure that you can relate a message to DR, that he is held in high regard by many real Hibernian fans, on this forum and others. he was one,if not the best Hibs player to grace the holy ground for at least the last 10 years. a product from the club youth system, his goals were a shining beacon to fans when we had very little else to cheer about at times. I was personally gutted when he went along the M8, almost akin to the time when Paddy Stanton went! both moves seem to have a lot of similarities, although we've never had the full story re-the D.Riordan move.I'm sure he still has a lot to offer, and hope he does find a club soon.

:aok:

monktonharp
20-01-2013, 09:41 PM
St Johnstone also saw nothing in him. His Chinese team didn't see anything in him by the end. Truth be told, his last season with us I was seeing less and less from him.his last season with us/ I thought he was a striker, but seemed to spend most of the time on the left wing. was it just me that thought that? or did it really happen, and if it did.....why?

Jones28
20-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Derek Riordan on the bench or Kuqi/Caldwell...

Hmmmmmmm

Tough one eh?!

Caldwell.

A raw talent, young, hungry, pacey.

I would rather he was taking up a space on the bench than a past-it, lazy and unfit Derek Riordan.

And what has Caldwell done to be singled out as a wasted space on the bench anyway?

Scouse Hibee
20-01-2013, 09:44 PM
I wonder if Deek reads .net to find out where's he's been, what he's up to and what he actually plans to do next.

monktonharp
20-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I wonder if Deek reads .net to find out where's he's been, what he's up to and what he actually plans to do next.he might do, but i'm sure he will be kept abrest by close contacts on here:wink:

stoneyburn hibs
20-01-2013, 09:58 PM
I wonder if Deek reads .net to find out where's he's been, what he's up to and what he actually plans to do next.

I have decided that he is not going to read it :greengrin