PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams

hfc rd
19-01-2013, 05:39 PM
The best GK we have had for over a decade. The amount of times he has saved us this season is incredible. Especially today, Dundee could have scored three or four but Big Ben was there keeping us in the game.

bingo70
19-01-2013, 05:41 PM
I felt at the time he could have done better with the goal, I didn't have a great view of it though so maybeim wrong?

Made up for it later in the game though.

HibeeN
19-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Agreed. Made some really good stops and seemed more keen to play it out short rather than boot it up the park every time. Kept us in it today, and we were lucky that their strikers missed a few good chances too.

hibee
19-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Totally agree but thought he should have saved their goal as it was a weak shot and he just sat down.

stokesmessiah
19-01-2013, 05:44 PM
How long is his contract ???

#FromTheCapital
19-01-2013, 05:45 PM
I felt at the time he could have done better with the goal, I didn't have a great view of it though so maybeim wrong?

Exactly what I thought at the time although I'll need to see a replay.
The Dundee fans didn't take too kindly to him for some reason, sounded like they were calling him a Paedo which I thought was very strange

O'Rourke3
19-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Left in the lurch for the goal. brilliant apart he went down too early for that last chance (Nish?) but fortunately forward had no poise. He's my signing of the season so far

hfc rd
19-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Totally agree but thought he should have saved their goal as it was a weak shot and he just sat down.

I personally thought the defender marking him, gave the Dundee player too much space.

hfc rd
19-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Lots of posts indicate that without Leigh Griffiths' goals this season. We would be in the bottom six. I agree with that but also if you take away some of Ben Williams' saves this season, we also wouldn't be anywhere near this position that we are in.

HiBremian
19-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Lots of posts indicate that without Leigh Griffiths' goals this season. We would be in the bottom six. I agree with that but also if you take away some of Ben Williams' saves this season, we also wouldn't be anywhere near this position that we are in.

and between the two of them, big Ben has been the more consistent :agree:

silverhibee
19-01-2013, 06:00 PM
The best GK we have had for over a decade. The amount of times he has saved us this season is incredible. Especially today, Dundee could have scored three or four but Big Ben was there keeping us in the game.

Saved us big time today with some great saves.

bingo70
19-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Would the other teams have to play without there keeper and top scorer as well?

JMac
19-01-2013, 06:02 PM
He should have done better with the goal but defo one of our key players this season

inglisavhibs
19-01-2013, 06:04 PM
and between the two of them, big Ben has been the more consistent :agree:

Say's it all when our goalie is man of the match against Dundee at home. Rab Douglas on the other hand didn't have a serious save to make.

lord bunberry
19-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Say's it all when our goalie is man of the match against Dundee at home. Rab Douglas on the other hand didn't have a serious save to make.

He had one and he missed it

Newhaven
19-01-2013, 06:13 PM
And there are some who are still greeting for makalamby :rolleyes:

GreenCastle
19-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Solid keeper and would happily extend his contract and keep him for longer.

Made 3 big saves today at key times.

Strange game as 2nd half Hibs seemed more in control but didn't create many clear opportunities - while Dundee did.

Regarding the goal - ball should have never got to where the shot came from but 1st thought was from the East he went down slow / got beat at near post - maybe thought player was going across him from that angle ? Hard to fully see from my seat.

Bottom line is he has a presence, is reliable, can kick - speaks to his defenders - seems like he cares about the club and has made some excellent saves this season after a slightly shaky start.

DaveF
19-01-2013, 06:33 PM

Disagree. The forward hit it early and Williams weight was taking him to his left so he was caught off balance.

Pretty Boy
19-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Was right behind it and said at the time he should have done better. Stand by that. He looked like he anticipated the ball going accross him, moved early and left far too big a gap at the near post.

In saying that, he made 4 or 5 very good stops after that.

inglisavhibs
19-01-2013, 07:01 PM
He had one and he missed it

Yes he looked a bit slow getting down for the goal.

lord bunberry
19-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Yes he looked a bit slow getting down for the goal.
He went down in installments

HibeeSince85
19-01-2013, 08:14 PM
He's been a great signing. The best keeper we've had since Leighton.

LaMotta
19-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Was right behind it and said at the time he should have done better. Stand by that. He looked like he anticipated the ball going accross him, moved early and left far too big a gap at the near post.

In saying that, he made 4 or 5 very good stops after that.

Exactly what happened, good summary. Williams looked like he was pissed off with himself.

neil7908
20-01-2013, 10:26 AM

We all know who will win player of the year this season but for me Williams runs Leigh very, very close. Been our most consistent performer all season and pulled of saves very few other keepers in the SPL can make. I remember watching the first game of the season when Dundee Utd gave us real doing at Tanadice and things were looking very grim. The only positive was his performance and one save in particular from a close range header was absolutely brilliant and stopped the score from looking even more embarassing.

Hope we get him tied down on a long contract, not just a year or 2 but a 3-4 year deal as we've had some rubbish goalies over the years who have cost us so many points and its great to have someone dependable at last.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2013, 10:35 AM
The save he had from the move that was subsequently flagged offside was outstanding. Think it is unfair to heap a whole lot of blame on to him for the goal. At least he didn't stand back and watch.

Squealing pig
20-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Good keeper but can't catch a crossed ball

n11tho
20-01-2013, 10:44 AM
time to get searching to see if williams has a scottish grannie , could possibly have done with being a yard further to his right to force the shot across him but thats easy to say sitting watching,,, but great addition to the team

essexhibee
20-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Contender for POTY?

Whenever I have seen the guy he's made save after save. Class act.

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Williams while making some fantastic saves early in his Hibs career, was responsible for some horrible mistakes, mistakes that cost us quite a few goals.

And he was also looking like Dracula whenever a cross came in, missing them by quite a distance and causing panic in the defence and the stands.

That was early on, and was masked by the teams ability to win these games, imo those bad mistakes slipped under the radar a little.

He seems to have eradicated the mistakes, and is continuing to make the terrific saves he was making, and looking much better coming off his line, as others have said he's turning into our best keeper in quite a while. :thumbsup:

ahibby
20-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Watched the game again last night on Alba and the saves he made when they were through one on one (three more times), saved us from getting a doing. Our defence was awful yesterday and he saved us embarrassment. McGivern was a different class as well, what a player he is.

matty_f
20-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Williams was excellent, as he has been for most of the season.

duffers
20-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Williams was excellent, as he has been for most of the season.

See he was in the Sunday Mails team of the day.
However,I didn't know he had signed for Rangers, and didn't know Rangers had managed to get back into the SPL....

Iggy Pope
20-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Watched the game again last night on Alba and the saves he made when they were through one on one (three more times), saved us from getting a doing. Our defence was awful yesterday and he saved us embarrassment. McGivern was a different class as well, what a player he is.

:dunno: