PDA

View Full Version : Keeping The Squad Together

hfc rd
17-01-2013, 10:20 PM
The last two days have brought us great news. Yesterday we finally got to keep two of our best players in this campaign in Ryan McGivern and Leigh Griffiths till the end of the season. I really feared if we lost them this month as especially with Leigh, we would all be worrying on where the goals will come from on a consistent basis. With those two out of contract, I hope we can tie them up on permanent deals. Also today, we signed Liam Craig on a pre-contract which will see him join us for pre-season ahead of next seasons campaign. A proven SPL goal-scoring midfielder that we have been crying out for in a long time.

But one thing still worries me and that is the key players who are out of contract at the end of the season. Just like Liam Craig, these guys can sign a deal with another club for next season. It will just be like another re-building process yet again by Paddy. I just hope we can keep this squad together as we don't want to keep starting from square one over and over again. We've got the potential to build a great side. Not exactly CL material but definitely good enough to be challenging at the top end of the league and doing well in both cup competitions.

edinburghhibee
18-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Can we get a list of the players who's contracts are up at the end of the season I can only think of McGivern, sparky and Deegan??? It is late mind!!

lord bunberry
18-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Can we get a list of the players who's contracts are up at the end of the season I can only think of McGivern, sparky and Deegan??? It is late mind!!

I think Doyle and wotherspoon are out of contract at the end of the season

spike220
18-01-2013, 02:07 AM

I would like to see Kajabi offered an extension, I have heard he is model squad player.

hibeequinn
18-01-2013, 02:51 AM

Didn't wotherspoon sign a new deal last week?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Its great news we seem to be keeping the main members of this squad at least until the end of the season.

This squad has improved us as a club/team, and the future looks so much better than previous seasons. We are a top 6 side now imo, after a few years of being nowhere near that, its progress and very welcome at last.

Some folk will be unhappy should we only finish 6th, especially after being top and maybe even 2nd this weekend?

I would even class myself in that category, i'd probably feel a little miffed if we only finished 6th, but taking a step back, i'd still have to acknowledge the progress, and look forward to next season for even more.

Keeping your better players and building on that with more is the way forward to a better team, while others around us seem to be losing players, players they'd like to keep, we are not.

As i said earlier, progress is being made, is it quick enough for some, no? For those who look at the bigger picture though, you can see the direction we are going, and imo the futures bright, the futures green and white. :pfgwa

hfc rd
18-01-2013, 11:35 AM

The players who are out of contract are:-
McGivern (end of loan and out of contract)
Griffiths (end of loan and out of contract)
Stevenson
Wotherspoon
Deegan
Doyle
Maybury
Kujabi
Kuqi
Galbraith

I would like to see us keep Stevenson, Wotherspoon, Deegan and Doyle. Also maybe give Maybury a one year deal. Kujabi, Galbraith and Kuqi, I imagine will be heading towards the exit. Also would be magnificent to tie down McGivern & Griffiths on long term contracts.

lord bunberry
18-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Didn't wotherspoon sign a new deal last week?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think he did

monktonharp
18-01-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm happy enough that we've retained 2 of our main players until the end of the season at least. It's been a long time since we've managed to keep a good squad together.however, I think we should be aiming a bit higher than top six.we have been top o' the league on 3 different accasions this season, albeit carrying a bit of luck at times but we've seen glimpses of a fairly good side, Motherwell game and a couple of others.1 or 2 additions in midfield could boost attendences a bit, and possibly allow us to kick on for the run in .