PDA

View Full Version : Barry Robson

Ozyhibby
17-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Is getting released by Vancouver. Could he do a job for us?

SMAXXA
17-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Yeah probably could but cant see it happening

Diclonius
17-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Signing Barry Robson would be awesome. Will never happen though.

Russell The Dug
17-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Why not? He will be back in Scotland, experience in the middle of the park if Claros goes, won't be too expensive. Think he will end up at Aberdeen or Arabs though.

Stevie Reid
17-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Never had pace to lose and his dead ball, passing and shooting ability would be most welcome in our midfield.

Would be surprised though.

hfc rd
17-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Would definitely take him.

Jim44
17-01-2013, 09:32 PM

He was on Sportscene recently. He was saying he and Kenny Miller were enjoying life in Canada and gave no indication that he might be on the move. I always liked him but I suspect he might want to play north of Edinburgh.

O'Rourke3
17-01-2013, 10:23 PM
If BR arrived I think I'd want his babies and James McPake's babies are still top of my list.....

Ozyhibby
17-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Think he would be the perfect signing for us till the end of the season. At 34 he is not a long term solution but would give us a bit creativity in midfield.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-01-2013, 10:45 PM
ICT apparently.

Cameron1875
17-01-2013, 11:01 PM
He'll be a fair age now surely. Don't think he would offer much especially when most fans seem to think we need more pace in the team and should buy a winger.

1950's hibbie
18-01-2013, 01:07 AM
The only thing I can find in the Canada Media about Whitecaps is that they have signed a new player in todays draft. All there is about Robson is that he signed a three year contract in February,2012 starting to play in July 2012. He is on a good wage, it seems strange Whitecaps would cut him and have to pay him 2 1/2 years pay.

brydekirk
18-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Not for me at that age, has been a decent player but he's no Frank Sauzee

Ozyhibby
18-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Not for me at that age, has been a decent player but he's no Frank Sauzee

I was only thinking a short term deal to the end of the season.

Oscar T Grouch
18-01-2013, 11:48 AM
The only thing I can find in the Canada Media about Whitecaps is that they have signed a new player in todays draft. All there is about Robson is that he signed a three year contract in February,2012 starting to play in July 2012. He is on a good wage, it seems strange Whitecaps would cut him and have to pay him 2 1/2 years pay.

In the metro today, Whitecaps are looking to off load Robson and Miller, their new coach doesn't want either of them

LeighLoyal
18-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Aye, good player, Robson, dunno what he'll have left at 34 though.

Miller is going 'home' to Sevco is he no?

lyonhibs
18-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Is he not pretty ancient now? That said, he was never/rarely in the papers dribbling fish suppers down his chin at 4am so he's probably kept himself in decent nick. Great dead ball delivery and long range shooting, would definitely take him if he still has the legs.

allezsauzee
18-01-2013, 12:38 PM
5 or 6 years ago definitely but his time has gone. I'd be more than happy if we kept Claros and possibly signed another striker. Our focus then should be on retaining the players that we already have on longer term contracts.

Phil D. Rolls
18-01-2013, 01:25 PM
He was on Sportscene recently. He was saying he and Kenny Miller were enjoying life in Canada and gave no indication that he might be on the move. I always liked him but I suspect he might want to play north of Edinburgh.

Leith? :greengrin

KiddA
18-01-2013, 03:06 PM
One of my friends is good friends with one of the coaching staff at Vancouver and he said that Barry Robson was a complete baw bag and thought he was a big time charlie. He said no one could stand him, Kenny Miller on the othere hand always lead by example and was always good with the young guys and very professional. So on that info its a no thanks for me.

ancient hibee
18-01-2013, 05:35 PM
In the metro today, Whitecaps are looking to off load Robson and Miller, their new coach doesn't want either of them

Which means that neither of them is doing it there.

Winston Ingram
18-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Which means that neither of them is doing it there.

Every time I saw Robson playing for them he was a stand out. Miller however was honkin:agree:

1950's hibbie
18-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I really don't know where Metro get their information but Martin Rennie, Whitecaps most successful coach so far was in the paper as recently as yesterday still the coach. I don't know who the new coach is but Rennie has been around for a while and was as a fellow Scot heavily involved in the signings of Miller and Robson. Both players are on extremely high salaries as designated players, doubtful if they could get anything like it in Scotland. If and a very big if there is any validity to these stories up to 2.16pm PST, all were still in employ of Whitecaps. Strange that nothing reported here where they play and are very popular with the regular close to 20,000 fans they draw for games in their beautiful stadium

weonlywon6-2
19-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Why not? He will be back in Scotland, experience in the middle of the park if Claros goes, won't be too expensive. Think he will end up at Aberdeen or Arabs though.

Motherwell will be a good shout.Very good player imo

1950's hibbie
21-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Announced today in Vancouver as reported here some time ago, Whitecaps and Robson have come to an agreement on his release. I doubted the reports on here, but they were right I was wrong.:duck:

stokesmessiah
21-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Strange, i could of swore i read a report today from someone at Whitecaps saying it was nonsense and they expected Robson back for training??:confused:

Ozyhibby
22-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Announced today in Vancouver as reported here some time ago, Whitecaps and Robson have come to an agreement on his release. I doubted the reports on here, but they were right I was wrong.:duck:

Don't think there were any real ITK posters. Just intetnet chat. All is forgiven. :-)
Def could do a job for us till end of the season.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2013, 07:56 PM

It was in the Metro days ago that he was being released so no surprise at all!

Purehibee_MYB
22-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Brilliant piece of journalism on his release here...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/Vancouver+Whitecaps+Barry+Robson+their+separate+wa ys/7850811/story.html

Part/Time Supporter
22-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Brilliant piece of journalism on his release here...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/Vancouver+Whitecaps+Barry+Robson+their+separate+wa ys/7850811/story.html

METRO VANCOUVER — Barry Robson, the emotional Scottish midfielder whose frustration-induced, arm-waving antics never endeared him to Vancouver Whitecaps fans or teammates, has now waved goodbye to Vancouver.

That's him alright.

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2013, 10:22 PM
He'd be decent for a short term deal to the end of the season, although i'd imagine wages would be an issue?

LeighLoyal
22-01-2013, 10:25 PM
He'd be decent for a short term deal to the end of the season, although i'd imagine wages would be an issue?

The days of big wages are behind him.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2013, 10:29 PM
The days of big wages are behind him.

I was thinking he'd be able to pick up more down south than anyone in the spl would pay? :dunno:

Mister P
23-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Would be a good partner for griffiths.
He's issued a 'come n get me' statement to the spl.
Experienced.

What kind of wages would he command?

Pretty Boy
23-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Robson is training with Middlesbrough at the moment to keep fit.

If we are interested at all maybe a quick call to offer facilities initially wouldn't be a bad idea.

SJNB Hibby
23-01-2013, 08:18 PM
“Unfortunately, Barry and his family never fully settled in Vancouver

For those of you that have never been to Vancouver, this makes as much sense as "We really enjoyed Glasgow"

VickMackie
23-01-2013, 08:27 PM
I always thought he was one of our best midfielders for years. Would always get his foot on the ball and try and drive the team forward.

I recall seeing some of the Barca game against united and think he was the only player that never looked completely out his depth.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-01-2013, 10:38 PM
“Unfortunately, Barry and his family never fully settled in Vancouver

For those of you that have never been to Vancouver, this makes as much sense as "We really enjoyed Glasgow"

One of the top, top places to live. Healthy living close to the real outdoors skiing, mountains, summer, orcas, not America ;)
Would have likely moved there if I hadn't met the missus.
is on the a fault line tho' ;)

hfc rd
23-01-2013, 10:44 PM
I always thought he was one of our best midfielders for years. Would always get his foot on the ball and try and drive the team forward.

I recall seeing some of the Barca game against united and think he was the only player that never looked completely out his depth.

Did Thierry Henry not say at one point that he was one of the best players that he came up against from the SPL when Dundee United played Barca in a friendly a couple of years ago.

VickMackie
23-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Did Thierry Henry not say at one point that he was one of the best players that he came up against from the SPL when Dundee United played Barca in a friendly a couple of years ago.

Yeah. Thierry didn't say it til after the game though and I said during it :greengrin