PDA

View Full Version : The end of an era – WFM retires from Tamson's

Jack
17-01-2013, 04:52 PM
On Saturday after the match the last vinyl DJ in Leith, and perhaps beyond, will spin his last discs. For the younger among us it could be the last chance to see an actual round piece of plasticy stuff produce music outwith a museum!!!

Willie F*****g Murray, no relation to the player of a similar name who used to play for Hibs, is 65.

He started off life as a car mechanic but his love of music meant he was always going to find life as a DJ somewhere.

A residency in the Fox Covert in the 1970s (or Clerry Inn, I canny mind which, maybe it was both) used to draw in capacity crowds. As his record collection grew so did his reputation and WFM played many parties in the auld Main Stand.

His knowledge of music is only outdone by his knowledge of Hibs and is recollections of someone doing this and that and the other then putting in the top right/left hand corner is as his heroes were, legendary!

His set will start with the usual Magnificent Seven, the Mighty Quinn (Hibs 60s winger sort of) and many other Hibs related songs will be played during the evening in among old favourites you’ve forgotten the name of but can sing every word to.

He reckons he's played in Tamson's pretty much every week over the last 20 years.

Dont expect him to be polite!

**** off Willie – your time is up!

offshorehibby
17-01-2013, 05:59 PM
I can't believe i'll miss WFM's last gig hopefully MRS OS will be there to wish him well. Good luck in retirement Willie no doubt the Mrs will get ya a pint.:thumbsup:

lapsedhibee
17-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Quinn (Hibs 60s winger sort of)

More of an "inside forward" really. Hat-trick at the PBS, for which :not worth

Newhaven
17-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Jessops, HMV now this! Where will it end??

Daz1875
17-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Newhaven this is the end lol

EdinMike
18-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I've only known Willie for a short time, Christ almost 10 years... But sadly, I'll miss tomorrows last spins too. Work commitments !

I'm sure he'll still be there every saturday anyhow !

Monktonhall 7
18-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Theres some great Hibby boozers around Easter Road, but I doubt many will compare with Tamsons Disco Bar. Apart from WFM the Jukebox is superb, and an aftermatch win is a treat to behold. I watched the 3rd of Jan game V them, there a couple of weeks ago, and the atmosphere was amazing, with a brilliant Hibby singsong till way after midnight. Imagine if we'd won!

All the best Willie, and surely Winker must be lined up for the replacement.

ronaldo7
18-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Theres some great Hibby boozers around Easter Road, but I doubt many will compare with Tamsons Disco Bar. Apart from WFM the Jukebox is superb, and an aftermatch win is a treat to behold. I watched the 3rd of Jan game V them, there a couple of weeks ago, and the atmosphere was amazing, with a brilliant Hibby singsong till way after midnight. Imagine if we'd won!

All the best Willie, and surely Winker must be lined up for the replacement.

You'd be celebrating the goal that never was then. Griffiths.............................Goaaaaaaalll lllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Sit doon, sit doon.:greengrin

Monktonhall 7
18-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Aye, for aboot 10 minutes. Did we really no win?

lord bunberry
18-01-2013, 12:04 PM
That auld ******* will never retire he will be back working of his tick bill before long

Jack
18-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Look out for the EEN over the next few days. Whit a laugh we had with Willie and the EEN photographer.

He's no bonny :-D

Carheenlea
21-01-2013, 06:04 PM
A nice wee piece in today EEN. Not a place I`ve ever been in for some reason, but sounded like post-matches were pretty good entertainment in Tamsons!

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/legendary-hibs-daft-dj-is-calling-it-a-day-after-two-decades-of-spinning-discs-1-2749142