PDA

View Full Version : mathday experience.....vs matchday pricing....value for money?

er75
16-01-2013, 08:09 PM
seen the linesman in the man city game talking about the players showing respect to the fans who have paid their well earned cash to come along and support them......and it got me thinking....

Are we getting value for money at Easter Road? Is Scottish ticket pricing overpriced, underpriced or fair? Obviously many will argue value for money is the goods on the pitch but what about the overall experience of going along to ER?

Although attendances have increased they are nowhere near what we need and should be getting.....is there more that could be done or are we getting value for money as it is?

Hibercelona
16-01-2013, 08:15 PM
The problem isn't so much the pricing, but more to do with the product.

For the money that fans pay for Scottish Football, the standards really should be higher than what they are.

Far too often we see big money being squandered on bog standard players.

The food at football is vastly over priced however.

bingo70
16-01-2013, 08:18 PM
We're not getting value for money but prices are what they need to be to cover costs, there's no evidence to suggest cheaper walk up prices lead to bigger gates.

I do think season ticket prices need to offer far greater value for money though.

While on the subject of value for money I never understand why people complain about the price of food at the football, its 2 hours, eat before you go to the game?!

Hibercelona
16-01-2013, 08:21 PM
While on the subject of value for money I never understand why people complain about the price of food at the football, its 2 hours, eat before you go to the game?!

But isn't a pie and bovril at the footie all part of the experience?

neilmartinrocks
16-01-2013, 08:23 PM
We're not getting value for money but prices are what they need to be to cover costs, there's no evidence to suggest cheaper walk up prices lead to bigger gates.

I do think season ticket prices need to offer far greater value for money though.

Or leave the game 10 minutes before half time if you want more than a packet of crisps and a bar of chocolate :greengrin

Saorsa
16-01-2013, 08:24 PM
But isn't a pie and bovril at the footie all part of the experience?No for me any mair it isnae, the pies are ****,the bovril is pishy and the prices are ridiculous, I wouldnae encourage them. Got better pies in the Loch Inn or Coopers for a quid.

bingo70
16-01-2013, 08:27 PM
But isn't a pie and bovril at the footie all part of the experience?

Times change and I personally don't see why having pie and a bovril would add anything to the enjoyment of the day.

Hibercelona
16-01-2013, 08:27 PM
No for me any mair it isnae, the pies are ****,the bovril is pishy and the prices are ridiculous, I wouldnae encourage them. Got better pies in the Loch Inn or Coopers for a quid.

Which brings me back to my original point. :wink:

If customers can get far better quality elsewhere at a far cheaper price, why don't clubs look into the matter instead of hiking their prices up another 10% or so year on year?

Hibercelona
16-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Times change and I personally don't see why having pie and a bovril would add anything to the enjoyment of the day.

Well certainly not with the quality on offer!

SMAXXA
16-01-2013, 08:29 PM
The germans get value for money, us on the other hand, in a word "No".

Not just Hibs btw its across the board for football in our country. The point made above about need to cover costs etc is a valid one, however on the same token we havnt tried to reduce prices over a sustained period of time to really judge wether crowds would increase IMO.

Look down south, in the premiership the stadiums are always pretty much full, some fans are paying similar to what we are paying up here for a much higher quality of football and I would suggest the costs are much much higher for clubs to cover than we have, West Brom, West Ham, Southampton, QPR etc. Granted the cash they get from sponsors, SKY and the Premiership makes up alot of the void which unfortunatley we dont have in our game.

Again its getting that balance with a successful team on the park, at a reasonable wage bill, which is the formula that is generally almost impossible to get.

Mikey
16-01-2013, 08:33 PM
The germans get value for money, us on the other hand, in a word "No".

Just think how much better our football would be if Hearts hadn't won WWI.

Saorsa
16-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Just think how much better our football would be if Hearts hadn't won WWI.:agree: ****in' h****s *******s

SMAXXA
16-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Which brings me back to my original point. :wink:

If customers can get far better quality elsewhere at a far cheaper price, why don't clubs look into the matter instead of hiking their prices up another 10% or so year on year?

I totally agree with you, the quality and value for money is very poor. I believe its a contract that they have a company that comes in and provide the catering across the board?

Ive never understood why clubs dont take a radical approach to catering and give the fans much more choice and value. Why couldnt the club approach local businesses, bakers, chioppys, chinese, indian, kebab houses etc etc and every home saturday these businesses have a "shop" in one of the current pies stand windows. You could even have your subways, Greggs etc (not sure how easy or cost effective this would be BTW) and give your punters real choice with brands they know. Rent out the space and support the local community in doiing so/

The same applies to alcohol, imagine an Iona, Harp, Loch INN bars in the ground on a saturday :greengrin

I know it wont be as straight forward as this but why not, as they say "Always do what you do, you will always get what you got". :agree:

SMAXXA
16-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Just think how much better our football would be if Hearts hadn't won WWI.

:faf:

silverhibee
16-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Something to pass HT away would be good.

Thoughts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeKEzcU8DaY

:greengrin

SMAXXA
16-01-2013, 08:58 PM

How about 90 mins of this and 15 mins of football? :greengrin

Hibs07p
16-01-2013, 09:10 PM

It wouldn't have the same appeal when they came out at half time wearing their thermals, several layers of clothing, topped off with a fleece lined duffel coat? :greengrin

#FromTheCapital
16-01-2013, 09:52 PM
No for me any mair it isnae, the pies are ****,the bovril is pishy and the prices are ridiculous, I wouldnae encourage them. Got better pies in the Loch Inn or Coopers for a quid.

Didn't know coopers done cow pies ;-)

Saorsa
16-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Didn't know coopers done cow pies ;-):wink:

marinello59
16-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Match day experience? The product? The ****ing catering? I go to watch the Hibs play Fitba, you can stick all the new speak jargon bollox right up your ****.
Signed
A Grumpy Old Git.

Jonnyboy
16-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Match day experience? The product? The ****ing catering? I go to watch the Hibs play Fitba, you can stick all the new speak jargon bollox right up your ****.
Signed
A Grumpy Old Git.

Seconded

signed

A grumpier even older git

hail1875hail
17-01-2013, 10:09 PM

whilst on the topic of cheerleaders and pies isnt that why everyones else goes to rugby park? :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
17-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Seconded

signed

A grumpier even older git

Thirded by a younger grumpy old git.

spike220
18-01-2013, 01:56 AM

Some healthy options would be nice, fresh fruit salad or some vegetarian options would be good. A good selection of herbal teas would be nice. How about some sea food too? Edinburgh is a port city after all.

Pete
18-01-2013, 04:30 AM
The grumpy gits can moan all they want on this thread but as prices increase the demand for "something back" also increases from the crowd. These phrases and attitudes come from the top of our club as the management falls into line with the rest of British football.

Scottish football has to collectively go in a certain direction and market itself differently to English football as there's no way we can compete on the pitch with them. The ridiculous money filtering down from the premiership has skewed things.

If that's not going to happen then hibs should do something radical. We're all for attracting families, having charters etc...but families can go and behave nicely at plenty other places for a lot less money. This is all very well for premiership clubs but we have to operate on a different model from them and do something to get not only kids, but local young men along.

I would bin this "every stand is family friendly" approach and make the East 12 years and over. Standing should be practically ignored and stewarding should be kept to a minimum. Offensive songs can be sung without question (within the law) and swearing and shouting at the opposition is par for the course.....basically make it somewhere where the radges call home. There is plenty room in the ground and families can sit in the other two stands.

I was a fag-paper away from the hearts fans at the previous two derbies and the atmosphere was nasty and offensive language was being used but it was bloody great. Not somewhere for kids to be but part of me thought "this is what's missing from modern football".

If we open the East up to young men who like a pint but don't like the opposition then we would probably fill it providing they aren't judged too harshly inside the ground.

marinello59
18-01-2013, 08:07 AM
The grumpy gits can moan all they want on this thread but as prices increase the demand for "something back" also increases from the crowd. These phrases and attitudes come from the top of our club as the management falls into line with the rest of British football.

Scottish football has to collectively go in a certain direction and market itself differently to English football as there's no way we can compete on the pitch with them. The ridiculous money filtering down from the premiership has skewed things.

If that's not going to happen then hibs should do something radical. We're all for attracting families, having charters etc...but families can go and behave nicely at plenty other places for a lot less money. This is all very well for premiership clubs but we have to operate on a different model from them and do something to get not only kids, but local young men along.

I would bin this "every stand is family friendly" approach and make the East 12 years and over. Standing should be practically ignored and stewarding should be kept to a minimum. Offensive songs can be sung without question (within the law) and swearing and shouting at the opposition is par for the course.....basically make it somewhere where the radges call home. There is plenty room in the ground and families can sit in the other two stands.

I was a fag-paper away from the hearts fans at the previous two derbies and the atmosphere was nasty and offensive language was being used but it was bloody great. Not somewhere for kids to be but part of me thought "this is what's missing from modern football".

If we open the East up to young men who like a pint but don't like the opposition then we would probably fill it providing they aren't judged too harshly inside the ground.

Times have changed and far too many people haven't noticed. The way people use their leisure time has changed radically. The future lies in attracting families, not discouraging them. If single young men with no commitments and plenty of disposable income can't be arsed coming along to games now they are a lost cause. You can still generate a brilliant atmosphere without offensive songs. I will never buy the argument that football should be a place that welcomes those who can't behave in a civilised manner. And before anybody piles in with the usual,''If your kid is so sensitive maybe you should stay away '' garbage there is a clear line between an acceptable 'robust' atmosphere (sweary words et all) and those who think football is only fun if they are challenging the opposition fans to a square go (from the safety of their own stand) and belting out a few hilarious paedo and racist songs.