PDA

View Full Version : 80 years ago today ....

--------
16-01-2013, 11:05 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-21013615

hibsbollah
16-01-2013, 11:25 AM
I enjoyed the tv series of the late 80s,although not very historically accurate apparently.

.Sean.
16-01-2013, 12:20 PM
My old Ganny's 80 the day aswell :thumbsup:

--------
18-01-2013, 12:00 PM
I enjoyed the tv series of the late 80s,although not very historically accurate apparently.

I watched it, and I thought it wasn't very good. Enjoyable enough, but really not an accurate depiction of events or personalities.

Heavily slanted and too much of an Aussie whinge, IMO.

When I think of the Australian fast bowlers who've played in Ashes tests before and since ....

Pot calling kettle black, IMO.

Jack
18-01-2013, 07:57 PM
The Ozzies don't like it up 'em.

A nation of natural whingers.

--------
18-01-2013, 10:38 PM
The Ozzies don't like it up 'em.

A nation of natural whingers.

Just to be clear, I have no objection to watching fast bowlers causing GBH to batsmen.

After all, the batsman has a bat, and he can use that bat to protect himself, right? And he doesn't have to stand there - he can go back to the pavilion any time he likes, right?

And I am a fair-minded chap - totally impartial. I can watch Aussie bowlers knocking lumps out of Englishmen, or vice-versa. Michael Holding, Joel Garner, Malcolm Marshall were heroes of mine, as was the great Aussie fast bowler Lillian Thomson. Merv Hughes was a role model.

But if it's OK for Thommo to rap a 90-mph delivery into Bumble's family jewels - my how we laughed! - or crack three successive bouncers off the Derek Randall's nose, why wasn't it OK for Harold Larwood to do a bit of meat-tenderising at the MCG in 1931-2?

And why have the rules been changed to stop bowlers doing it nowadays?