PDA

View Full Version : NHC Paul McGinley confirmed Ryder cup captain

H18sry
15-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Has he done enough in the game to captain the European team?

Golden Bear
15-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Good news. I've nothing against the python but it's time he took a back seat.

Sylar
15-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Only 9 wins on tour and no majors - not brilliant but the Ryder Cup captaincy should encompass more than the track record of the person taking up the role.

He's been a solid ambassador for the European Tour and has been ever-present in our Ryder Cup teams over the past few tournaments. He's well respected, passionate and will provide more character and enthusiasm than Monty would have (IMO).

Paves the way for Darren Clarke in 2016 also :agree:

Golden Bear
15-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Has he done enough in the game to captain the European team?

He wad the players choice I think. He's well respected and experienced as a vice captain He also captained the GB and Ireland team in the Seve trophy and by all accounts made a great job of it. I'm sure Mr Fenlon will be impressed as well!

3pm
15-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Lyle, Lawrie, Montgomerie, Jiminez and McGinley considered.

Sylar
15-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Lyle, Lawrie, Montgomerie, Jiminez and McGinley considered.

Absolutely delighted Sandy Lyle got nowhere near it. Scottish or not, I'd hate to see him captain the European Ryder Cup team.

Jiminez's time will come and I dare say he'll be a VC again in 2014. Lawrie still has playing time in him yet and has no leadership experience yet - I think being a VC before taking up the captaincy is a sensible path :agree:

s.a.m
15-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Tom Watson‏@TomWatsonPGAPro Congrats to Paul McGinley on your R/C Captaincy. Looking forward to our future competition. You're a class act.

lyonhibs
15-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Tom Watson‏@TomWatsonPGAPro Congrats to Paul McGinley on your R/C Captaincy. Looking forward to our future competition. You're a class act.

With such a class act at the helm for the USA, maybe we'll see a little less of the slack-jawed yokel bellendery that seems to have permeated through the USA team in the past few Ryder Cups.