PDA

View Full Version : NHC WGS for Scotland

Frazerbob
14-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Loads of rumours doing the rounds that Strachan is to be unveiled tomorrow. He's gone in to 1/8 with the bookies.

blaikie
14-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Good news if true! Nobody better out there to take us forward!

LeighLoyal
14-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Great news after the Potter disaster.

Col2
14-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Would be great appointment and get some excitement back in the national team since Loser Levein (worst record in competitive games ever as a Scotland boss)

Paisley Hibby
14-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Oh dear! I hope this isn't true. He's past it as a manager (if he ever had it!) and his attitude stinks.

hfc rd
14-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Would be great appointment and get some excitement back in the national team since Loser Levein (worst record in competitive games ever as a Scotland boss)

This.

Hibee87
14-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Seems the obvious choice. cant say im overly excited but im also not to disappointed...... kinda how I feel about the scotland team just now actually

Brummie_Hibs
14-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Very happy if true

Russell The Dug
14-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Oh dear! I hope this isn't true. He's past it as a manager (if he ever had it!) and his attitude stinks.

Past it taking Celtic out the Champions League Group stage twice aye?

CB_NO3
14-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Ferguson or Mourinho could not do anything with this team. Average players, who are headless chickens and cant pass a ball. Nothing will really change.

cabbageandribs1875
14-01-2013, 10:55 PM

taking a Scottish team into the last 16 of the champions league twice, 3 SPL titles, now that kind of failure for the National team will do me, he gets things right, sometimes :)

gaun wee gogs :agree:

Russell The Dug
14-01-2013, 10:58 PM
And he's one of our own. Which also means hopefully no coaching gigs for Houston on Kenny Black or any of they other hearts tramps.

SteveHFC
14-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Great news.

Now we just wait for the moaners to come on this thread :na na::greengrin

ScottB
14-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Ah decent choice and likely to be in it for the long haul, as opposed to say, a Coyle type who'd be off if he managed to turn some heads.

stu in nottingham
15-01-2013, 12:08 AM
He's the sort of character that could well restore a bit of much-needed confidence to Scottish international football.

Prawn Sandwich
15-01-2013, 12:17 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/gordon-strachan-poised-for-scotland-job-reports-1-2737358

Sylar
15-01-2013, 12:23 AM
A crabbit ginger ******* leading a group of inept Scottish footballers.

Match made in cliche heaven.

CalgaryHibs
15-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Oh no! What ae mistake this is and he has "world cup dreams" aye rite!

basehibby
15-01-2013, 01:47 AM
A great appointment if true.

I think experience counts in international management, Strachan has been to Major finals with Scotland and has managed and played at the top level in Scotland, England and in Europe. He' s been there and done it knows what it takes to progress at international level.

He also knows the Scottish game and is available at a time in his career when the job may suit him - last I heard I think he'd tired a bit of the rigorous day to day demands of club management so hopefully if he's actually successfull he won't be wont to bugger off at the first sniff of a lucrative club job ala McLeish/Smith ?!?

WellingtonHibby
15-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Past it taking Celtic out the Champions League Group stage twice aye?

Which was, by definition, in the past....your arguments premise is inherently flawed, sir.

I'm_cabbaged
15-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Which was, by definition, in the past....your arguments premise is inherently flawed, sir.

So, what do you judge him on if not the past?

WellingtonHibby
15-01-2013, 05:46 AM
Irrelevant. My point is that you can't assert that something isn't past it, and use an example that is demonstrably in the past. Its exactly what other posters on here do when they cite Riordans 100 goals ten years ago to demonstrate he c
auld still do a job for us. It gets right on my thruppennies

bingo70
15-01-2013, 07:12 AM
People are saying doesn't matter who the manager is as the players aren't good enough but that's a lot of nonsense imo. When smith took over from vogts he had the same group of players yet he took us from about 89 to 12th, vogts had a better record in more difficult circumstances than levein as well so I'm expecting to see a big improvement in the team under strachan.

BT58
15-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Always remember his answer to sky reporter
Gordon,can i have a quick word???

Wgs ,,,,,,,,aye VELOCITY !!!!!!!!
BRILLIANT
bt

Hibbyradge
15-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Irrelevant. My point is that you can't assert that something isn't past it, and use an example that is demonstrably in the past. Its exactly what other posters on here do when they cite Riordans 100 goals ten years ago to demonstrate he c
auld still do a job for us. It gets right on my thruppennies

Lol.

If being successful in their last job isn't evidence enough, what would a manager need to do to get your approval?

Lucius Apuleius
15-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Not overly excited but he will do for me.

lord bunberry
15-01-2013, 08:06 AM
At least there will be no more 5-5-0 formations under strachan

Time For Heroes
15-01-2013, 08:18 AM
I don't care if Strachan gets the job I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yoghurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today.
:D

O'Rourke3
15-01-2013, 08:21 AM
BBC Radio Two just announcing this. Given the posts above no Scotland manager now has a chance(if they ever did). 50% happy clappers, 50% I knew he was going to be garbage. Enough time and the "I knew he'd fail" mob will be right.

Best of a bad bunch I think and hope he improves us by the same scale that Potter destroyed us.

Unfortunately the folk who loved his post match interviews in England turned 180 when he came up to Scotland, so quips once thought funny will simply be written off as patronizing and unhelpful/arrogant by the masses up here. Can't wait to see the Sevco fans reactions to this as well.

He might be a WGP but he was once our WGP so I hope he does well.

lord bunberry
15-01-2013, 08:29 AM
I don't care if Strachan gets the job I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yoghurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today.

What flavour is it

H18sry
15-01-2013, 08:34 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21023913?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sportsound

EdinMike
15-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Hope it goes through !! Allez Allez Allez Oh ! Wee Gordon Strachan !! Ginger Saviour !

*It's ok i'm a Ginge too..*

Jim44
15-01-2013, 09:12 AM
I can't stand the man but we could do a lot worse.

Hainan Hibs
15-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Hope we get the funny pre Celtic Strachan and not the Celtic ******** version.

hibsmad
15-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Hope we get the funny pre Celtic Strachan and not the Celtic ******** version.

:agree:

The reason I think that he was an arse when in charge of Celtic is down to the pressure he was under, and that's despite the fact he did well there. Given that he will be under equal if not more pressure in charge of Scotland, particularly if results are poor, then I am a bit concerned that it is the Celtic Strachan we end up with.

I just wish someone would tell him that when he tries to be funny/sarcastic when replying to almost every question, then the result is that most of his replies are not funny and he just looks a bit of a numpty.

Hibercelona
15-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I couldn't care less if he's a complete fud, as long as he can do the job.

He has good credentials and I'd take a Hibs fud in charge over a Hearts fud any day.

hibby rae
15-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Does this mean we can't use the ,Scotland boss doesn't like Hibs' as a reason for not having deserving players picked?

Keith_M
15-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Does this mean we can't use the ,Scotland boss doesn't like Hibs' as a reason for not having deserving players picked?

Currently that would only make a difference if he was being appointed the Ireland Manager.

:greengrin

cam75
15-01-2013, 12:02 PM
On talk sport now,I'm happy good PAsssion and Played the game at a high level managed at a high level,but some say not good enough cough cough 😠

Technofob
15-01-2013, 12:20 PM

The reason I think that he was an arse when in charge of Celtic is down to the pressure he was under, and that's despite the fact he did well there. Given that he will be under equal if not more pressure in charge of Scotland, particularly if results are poor, then I am a bit concerned that it is the Celtic Strachan we end up with.

I just wish someone would tell him that when he tries to be funny/sarcastic when replying to almost every question, then the result is that most of his replies are not funny and he just looks a bit of a numpty.

I've had that discussion with loads of people - hearing his one liner/sarcastic quips were funny when it was occasionally on MOTD or Question of Sport but 4 or 5 times a week in a smeltic interview=be11end.

Mr White
15-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Confirmed now. Good luck Gordon!

cad
15-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Genetic Genealogy http://www.hibs.net/image/in_genetic_main.jpg (http://www.dnaancestryproject.com/) could be a handy site for Gogs in his search for new talent,just trying to help know wot I mean
I think hes on a loser likes

Hainan Hibs
15-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Same thing happened with Mowbray when he was at Celtic, maybe it's the pressure, maybe it's just Celtic:greengrin

LancsHibs
15-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Pleasing news, will bring a bit of pride back to the national team:saltireflag

Paisley Hibby
15-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Lol.

If being successful in their last job isn't evidence enough, what would a manager need to do to get your approval?

His last job was as Middlesborough manager and he was absolutely gash.

Russell The Dug
15-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Took the job too soon after Celtic, was man enough to quit without compensation and took a break from the game.

Hope does as well for Scotland as he done Celtic. :agree:

ancient hibee
15-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Not sure about this.Don't think he has a great record with poor players and being a good international player has no bearing on his managerial prospects.

NOLA
15-01-2013, 05:09 PM
a muirhoose hibby as scotland manager :shocked: whatever next :dunno:

KeithTheHibby
15-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Good appointment and has a lot of charisma and character which has been sadly missed with the last 2 plums who have been Scotland manager.

He did come over as a bit of an erse when Celtic manager but no doubting his record when there.

KeithTheHibby
15-01-2013, 05:12 PM

He relegated Coventry then took Soton to a FA cup final then won 3 titles with Celtic, what is your point?

Malthibby
15-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Chuffed.
Wears his heart on his sleeve & he will inject some pride into the team.
We are not world beaters but we have underperformed. I think that will stop.
GG

superfurryhibby
15-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Took the job too soon after Celtic, was man enough to quit without compensation and took a break from the game.

Hope does as well for Scotland as he done Celtic. :agree:

Spot on. Integrity, a quality sadly lacking in his pompous predecessor.

He has enough og a track record to suggest he is as good an appointment as any other candidate and I hope, like Waldo before him, he improves the current squad. I believe they are much better than results under Potter would suggest.

FWIW, STrachan said that he found the SCottish media cringeworthy in terms of the type of questioning he was subjected to. Maybe he should have dealt with it differently but they say ask a stuipid question and you will get a stupid answer.

General point, he is no longer Ginger, more a post ginger pale strawberry blonde.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Craig Brown just been on the tele, saying that stopping the current slump could be key to Strachan's chances of success....... You have to marvel at the wisdom of comments like this. You would need to have years of experience in the game to work that out.

Bishop Hibee
15-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Best choice available. The Scottish media are an embarrassing joke as the oldco saga showed and I hope Strachan gives them the run around.

More importantly I hope he can get it right on the pitch.

Jim44
15-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Good luck to Strachan. He's talking now about this being a 40 year old dream and all the usual cliches. Am I thinking of someone else or did he not say, after the resignation of Levein, that he did not want to be considered for the job?

California-Hibs
15-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Great appointment, really really happy with this news. As other's have said, he will bring in belief and passion that Mr Potter could never do. He's a good character and I've always had alot of time for him. We've had decent players in the Scotland squad for awhile now. Mcleish and Smith managed to get the best out of them and were both on the verge of taking us to a major tournament. I'm confident Strachan will be in this mould too, and hopefully he can go one step further and achieve qualification. Today is a new slate with the National team. C'mon Scotland! :saltireflag

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Hope springs eternal.

Jonnyboy
15-01-2013, 08:26 PM
A good appointment IMO. No-one should expect instant success though as the group of players he has will need to be 'un-coached' from the Levein way :wink:

Jack Hackett
15-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Whoever was picked, somebody's going to have a moan up. From those available, why not give him a go? He's experienced and his own man, and not out to prove a point at any cost alla Le Vain.

I wanted Gordon to get the job, so I'm happy....and screw anybody who thinks different :na na:

Jack Hackett
15-01-2013, 08:41 PM

What flavour is it

Soor ploom? :greengrin

Time For Heroes
15-01-2013, 08:44 PM
What flavour is it
Orange. ;o)

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Ohh, so close, nearly a full page before one of these posts makes an appearance on a Scotland thread.

Maybe one day!

Piqué
15-01-2013, 09:34 PM
WGS in and now one of his first priorities, get GMS on that left wing. Fantastic player IMO.

On another note, this video is quite funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rfEV0iO0iCw

Time For Heroes
15-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Ohh, so close, nearly a full page before one of these posts makes an appearance on a Scotland thread.

Maybe one day!
Reeks of sour grapes.
I reckon you're upset that you didnt get in first! ;o)

CropleyWasGod
15-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Reeks of sour grapes.
I reckon you're upset that you didnt get in first! ;o)

An orange yoghurt that reeks of sour grapes? I wouldn't, mate, you'll be up all night.

Camo
15-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Can't be any worse than Levein.

Saorsa
15-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Can't be any worse than Levein.Not being worse than potter is hardly a great endorsement for anybody, you'd need tae go some tae be worse than that h****s ****.

s.a.m
17-01-2013, 10:09 AM
The Scotsman‏@scotsmanpaper Gordon Strachan looks to Mark McGhee to fill Scotland assistant role http://bit.ly/10fFzkz (http://t.co/8EZWGIT3)

:rolleyes: cannae take tae that man at aw.

Diclonius
17-01-2013, 12:51 PM
McGhee won't want to officially be a number 2.

RyeSloan
17-01-2013, 02:35 PM
First and foremost a national team needs to be a cohesive unit...Levein's sides never looked like they fully understood where each player was meant to be. I thing WGS will have the ability to make the team play as a team....sounds daft but it must be quite tricky for International managers to pull an effective team out of a selection of individuals from a range of clubs and leagues.

Also can't imagine WGS not installing some passion and desire into the squad. Again Levein was about as inspiring as dull dish water so no surprise his teams reflected that.

Beyond this it comes down to players talent. Scotland is not blessed with a messi or a Ronaldo but none the less its hardly a disaster. We will need a bit of luck and a bit of the total being more than the sum of the parts but its not impossible and WGS Is certainly worth a shot. Good luck to him I say and please can we see a Scotland team playing like a team, playing with pride and performing at their best more often than not....if we get that then it will be quite a change from what we have seen far too often in the last decade or so.

jacomo
17-01-2013, 03:00 PM

I'd be surprised too, but surely the opportunities to be a manager in his own right have dried up now?

I can't really think what skills McGhee would bring to the set up but Strachan will know better then me.

leither17
18-01-2013, 01:02 PM

its confirmed now on bbc

chrisski33
18-01-2013, 01:42 PM

He clearly wants to be as just been named as strachans no.2! Not sure mcghee is a good choice though!

blaikie
18-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Would have preferred Gary Pendry as number 2 tool him everywhere else!

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Would have preferred Gary Pendry as number 2 tool him everywhere else!

Thats not very nice, do you know him personally? :wink:

blaikie
18-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Bloody iphone .... Well he did go to Celtic! So that would make him a tool :)