PDA

View Full Version : NHC Saving Scottish Football

down-the-slope
14-01-2013, 08:24 PM
LWT had Paul Goodwin as one of its guest contributors last week. Given his role as Head of Supporters Direct, being quoted in the press on league reconstruction proposals and meeting all 3 of football administrators in the past week it was very timely.

Given the interest and current relevance of the subject, his recent book may be of interest.

SAVING SCOTTISH FOOTBALL - £12 – all monies to Prostate Cancer
Scottish Fans are delighted to announce that Head of Supporters Direct Scotland, Paul Goodwin's second book 'Saving Scottish Football' is now available to buy. This is the first book to take account of the current state of Scottish football since the demise of Glasgow Rangers FC.

Paul convened a panel of Scottish Football experts to take stock of the game as it stands and to come up with proposals for its future. There are contributions from highly leading coaches such as Alex Smith, Jocky Scott, Sandy Clark, Davie Hay, Jimmy Calderwood, respected pundit Des McKeown and Hibernian Legends John Blackley, Jackie McNamara and Darren Jackson..

Goodwin and his panel of experts look in detail at issues such as the role of fans in running football clubs, a winter break, a complete restructuring of the system to make football a summer sport, community schemes, the draft system of clubs choosing players, club partnerships, financial controls, ground sharing and other initiatives to form a strategy to save Scottish football.

What We Need to do Next challenges the way football is currently being operated in Scotland. The book confronts some of the biggest issues in the sport and with the help of a panel of experts delivers solutions to how football in Scotland can be improved.

From the author
The book is a not-for-profit project and all money raised from direct sales www.scottishfans.org (http://www.scottishfans.org/) will go towards Prostate Cancer Research. Note only £2 goes to charity when purchased from other outlets so please buy from the website.

Journalist Reviews
· Alan Pattullo says Saving Scottish Football is 'a timely & impressive rigorous study'
· Graeme MacPherson says of Saving Scottish Football: "Leaving no stone unturned Paul Goodwin’s ideas are innovative":
· Stephen McGowan describes 'Saving Scottish Football' as "Required reading for the powers that be"

down-the-slope
14-01-2013, 09:22 PM
might even persuade Eric to give his thoughts on the book once he has thumbed his way through it :greengrin

down-the-slope
15-01-2013, 08:19 AM

Bill Milne
15-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Who the hell is Paul Goodwin? I have never heard of him before and I certainly didn't ask him to represent me. As usual, he will represent vested interests who have little interest in fans' opinions.

On another note, I prefer the reconstruction plans put forward by The Rangers to the SFA/SPL/SFL nonsense.

superfurryhibby
15-01-2013, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Bill Milne;3473407]Who the hell is Paul Goodwin? I have never heard of him before and I certainly didn't ask him to represent me. As usual, he will represent vested interests who have little interest in fans' opinions.

On another note, I prefer the reconstruction plans put forward by The Rangers to the SFA/SPL/SFL nonsense.[/QUOTEAHe represents supporters direct and it's members/patrons, http://www.supporters-direct.org/homepage/aboutsupportersdirect/.

How would you know what views he advocates when you admit you nothing about the organisation, ridiculous statement really. Fans need a voice in terms of the governance. The recent statements from Stuart Regan about fans and education show how far removed those running the game are from the patrons, us the supporters. The book sounds very interesting and the charitable aspect is laudable.

Fan power can be a lever and people need to at least consider the wider issues of the direction in which our game is heading. I intend to buy a copy, because I am concerned and love football.

Mr White
15-01-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't know much about Paul goodwin either but most of what I have heard is of him doing the rounds speaking to fan groups of various clubs, canvassing opinion. Hopefully he's listening and representing the views he hears to those in power.

hibs0666
15-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Who the hell is Paul Goodwin? I have never heard of him before and I certainly didn't ask him to represent me. As usual, he will represent vested interests who have little interest in fans' opinions.

On another note, I prefer the reconstruction plans put forward by The Rangers to the SFA/SPL/SFL nonsense.

The guy doesn't represent you, he represents supporters that wish to have a voice about the future of Scottish football.

Just Alf
15-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Ouch

Eric
15-01-2013, 09:29 PM
might even persuade Eric to give his thoughts on the book once he has thumbed his way through it :greengrin

Still thumbing through Paul's book and enjoying it as I am finding it very thought provoking!

Paul looks at the various challenges facing Scottish football from a fan's viewpoint and gives the pros and cons for each of his arguments. In particular I found the way in which he categorises fans very useful as in a survey the answer a fan gives to a question will be affected to a greater or lesser extent by the category he/she is in.

Throughout the book there are comments on the various topics from Paul's team of 14 former players, several of whom have strong Hibs connections. All very interesting.

In no way is Paul trying to speak for the fans. He is trying to involve them in the future of Scottish football so Paul and his book should not be prejudged. I for one would be very interested in the views of .net posters once they have thumbed through it.:thumbsup:

clerriehibs
15-01-2013, 10:04 PM

I haven't bothered reading those plans; but given Green's original aim with sevco newco the rangers was to make a quick buck, rather than any holistic approach to the salvation of Scottish football, I don't doubt that those plans are primary to the benefit charles green.

RIP
15-01-2013, 10:40 PM
We need some kind of supporters organisation to speak on behalf of us. We're getting shafted wi league restructure and kick off times.

Paul's a Jags fan who helped save Stirling Albion. Loves fitba wi a passion

lord bunberry
16-01-2013, 04:01 AM

His organisation do lots of surveys and meet regularly with fans to canvass opinion and then try to put pressure on the sfa/spl to carry out the fans will. So he represents fans more than anyone else

Keith_M
16-01-2013, 06:56 AM

That's a fair comment.

What I suggest, then, is that you stick one finger in each ear and walk around saying 'la-la-la' to protect you from hearing anything he might say.

Who the hell is Chuckie Green? I have never heard of him before and I certainly didn't ask him to represent me. As usual, he will represent vested interests who have little interest in fans' opinions.

Jack
16-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Who the hell is Bill Milne?

I’m not overloaded with information about Paul Goodwin but do know about what's said below. A decent guy whose thoughts are considered and thought provoking. Neither am I overloaded with information about Bill Milne, other than the above, but do know his thoughts are far from considered or thought provoking. Which is a shame really, he missed a great opportunity to say nothing.

I don't know much about Paul goodwin either but most of what I have heard is of him doing the rounds speaking to fan groups of various clubs, canvassing opinion. Hopefully he's listening and representing the views he hears to those in power.

down-the-slope
16-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I do think Paul Goodwin's 'CV' makes him someone who's should be seen as having unique perspective

Worked in large corporate business for a numbers of years, mostly marketing
Involved in representing large corporate brands who were sponsoring football clubs, mostly large drinks brands
Being a passionate Jags fan and involved in working with those who saved them from going bust
Part of the group who rescued Stirling Albion and then ran the club for a period

Paul has also articulated the view that players (PFA) and managers (LMA) as well as supporters are not consulted enough or involved in influencing the direction of the game in this country.

Anything he (Supporters Direct) can do to open up the games administrators to greater scrutiny and transparency should be welcome.