PDA

View Full Version : Linesman

Badabing
14-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Sorry if posted before but full marks to the linesman at the Arsenal Man City game for reminding/telling the Man City players to get over and thank their fans who had spent £62 for a ticket.

jabis
14-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Sorry if posted before but full marks to the linesman at the Arsenal Man City game for reminding/telling the Man City players to get over and thank their fans who had spent £62 for a ticket.

any link ?

leither17
14-01-2013, 09:32 PM
It's on the bbc most watched videos on the sport section of their website

leither17
14-01-2013, 09:33 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21006202

jabis
14-01-2013, 09:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21006202

cheers for that #1,can't see there what the linesman did though :confused:

cam75
14-01-2013, 09:54 PM
He said to city player to go over and thank the fans that paid £62,you may have to turn up ?

jabis
14-01-2013, 09:59 PM
He said to city player to go over and thank the fans that paid £62,you may have to turn up ?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :dj:

Neil Young and Crazy Horse !

Hibercelona
14-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Robbing barstewards.

hfc rd
14-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Well said.

wearethehibs
14-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Ive just seen a tweet with a link to a petition to reinstate this linesman, He's apparently been suspended from his next game for saying that. That surely has to be wrong, anyone heard anything?

DC_Hibs
14-01-2013, 10:45 PM
I read since that he has been "pulled off" from his next officiating duty as they are clearly unhappy with him.

Ridiculous that he can't act like a human being on one occasion rather than the textbook programmed robot they desire.

Hopefully fans all over the country make their feelings known.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2262269/Manchester-City-linesman-taken-QPR-v-West-Brom-match--VIDEO.html - not 100% as yet

Jones28
14-01-2013, 11:03 PM
If he's been suspended that's ridiculous.

givescotlandfreedom
15-01-2013, 03:14 AM
I really hope the stuff about him being disciplined is not true. Things like this make you give up all hope for the game.

HH81
15-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Robbing barstewards.

Man u are charging £44.00 for non members in upper tier (behind goals so not great seats) v West Ham in fa cup live on tv on a Wednesday night.

Prices are a joke.

Side seats in 2nd tier are 51 quid.

Time For Heroes
15-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Source:-
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/official-who-urged-joleon-lescott-to-applaud-62-manchester-city-fans-axed-from-fa-cup-duty-8451583.html

John Brooks captured the imagination of fans when he was caught on camera telling Lescott that the City fans deserved to be thanked because of the high ticket prices they had paid to watch the Premier League game at the Emirates. During the post-match handshakes, the Sky Sports microphones broadcast Brooks saying to Lescott: "They've paid 62 quid over there, go and see them".

The Independent understands that the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the body that assigns referees and assistants to games, took a dim view of Brooks' actions and today stood him down for the game at the Hawthorns tonight. His place will be taken by Dave Bryan, an experienced assistant but not a Fifa-level official.

The officials for Tuesday's replays were announced on the Football Association website, which as of last night still listed Brooks as one of two assistants for the game, along with Darren Cann, referee Martin Atkinson and fourth official Neil Swarbrick. PGMOL retains the right to change its officials at short notice if it sees fit.

Brooks, from Leicester, is in his first season as a Premier League assistant. For the majority of his matches he has worked alongside Mike Dean, the referee at the Emirates on Sunday, and has been given a number of high-profile fixtures, including games at all the top Premier League sides. He was assistant to Dean at St Mary's for Chelsea's 5-1 win over Southampton in the third round 10 days ago.

The game at the Emirates was notable by a boycott by City fans who refused to pay the £62 "category A" prices that the fixture was priced at by Arsenal. Having been told by Brooks that he should acknowledge the travelling support, Lescott did indeed go over to the away end. The moment became a hit on social media with Brooks attracting praise from supporters.

It is not clear exactly why PGMOL managing director Mike Riley has taken such issue with Brooks' comments to Lescott after the game. Certainly the pricing of Premier League tickets has become a major issue over the last few days and it is possible that the League regarded Brooks' comments as reflecting badly on them.

Former World Cup referee Graham Poll hinted that Brooks' comment to Lescott may be construed as inappropriate in his newspaper website column. Poll said: "The tension can cause abnormal behaviour: a dopey smile, an inappropriate comment. You're so focused on your job, you're not thinking straight about other things."

MB62
15-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Absolute nonsense and officials should withdraw their services until them man is reinstated.

Just Alf
15-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Absolute nonsense and officials should withdraw their services until them man is reinstated.

Agree 100%

Not on PC so can't see the clip, but can he not argue he was in effect giving them permission to go to the fans? ...... I know it's after the game, but ... Hey... You never know?

Ridiculous dropping him ....

Sir David Gray
15-01-2013, 12:48 PM
That really is an absolute joke, whoever made that decision should be ashamed of themselves.

Utterly pathetic. :bitchy:

BroxburnHibee
15-01-2013, 12:50 PM
I despair for this so called national sport if this turns out to be true.

lapsedhibee
15-01-2013, 12:57 PM
"In the majority of his matches he has worked alongside Mike Dean"

I wonder if someone at the EPL has maybe reacted to knowledge of the slightly odd statistic that of the last 22 times Dean has been in charge of an Arsenal match, Arsenal have only won once (which is odd considering that Arsenal win more than they lose, c.TM). Perhaps someone seeing an over-chumminess with Manchester C on the day and eager to quash any conspiracy theories before they get started?

Newry Hibs
15-01-2013, 12:59 PM
BBC reporting that he's being dropped to protect him from media attention.

I think that's OK if true, but I'm not so sure it hasn't been said to prevent the build up of disbelief ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21026985

Sir David Gray
15-01-2013, 01:31 PM

I think that's OK if true, but I'm not so sure it hasn't been said to prevent the build up of disbelief ...

Media attention over what?

I don't think what he said was controversial in the slightest, he made a comment to the Manchester City players telling them to go and acknowledge their fans who had paid an astronomical amount to go and watch the game.

What is wrong with that? I think that's quite refreshing to be honest.

Of course, the fact that the comment was picked up by the microphone will be mentioned in the media as it's not something that we hear about every week but I've not read or seen anything in the media that is criticising the linesman for what he said. Quite the opposite, in fact.

It's a total nonsense that he's been dropped over this.

IWasThere2016
15-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Staggering. Well done to him - he was probably thinking that Man C players might not be aware of the ticket prices/issues!! Top bloke IMHO.

basehibby
15-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Ridiculous if he's being disciplined for pointing out the elephant in the living room that is the OBSCENE prices being charged by already stinking rich clubs.

Of course it is all used in turn to finance the OBSCENE wages sucked out of the game by greedy players - would be nice for example if City's millionaires had volunteered to pay half their travelling support's ticket costs - that would have come to less than £100K - less than a weeks wages to some of these overpriviledged basturds :grr:

jdships
15-01-2013, 03:54 PM
A retired friend of mine who reffed in England in the 1970's and 80's tells me they were ' verbally advised not to enter into any dialogue with players until they had all left the pitch '
Nothing was in the written rules !!
He went on to say that even a smile at a player could be picked up by the opposition supporters as being ' partizan' therefore they tried not to get involved.
At one time he lived in the same street as a well known ,then ,English 1st Div player and always asked not to be considered for games involving his club
Don't know any Scot's ref's therefore do not know what the situ is here !!

:greengrin

_hucks_
15-01-2013, 06:16 PM
He used to ref the Liverpool University departmental league. He always used to get a bit of a (good natured) ripping for turning up in the full refs gear, with 2 whistles etc. Puts it into context though, with him officiating at a top level just a few years on! Was always pretty fair and came accross well, not surprised to see him handling the big stars like that as well.

Hibercelona
15-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Funny how players can get away with the verbal diarrhea they give officials for 90 minutes, but as soon as an official opens their mouth and says something that's perfectly reasonable, it's a suspension.

Jonnyboy
15-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Devil's advocate here ..........

Reaction please to the news the an Assistant Referee, at the Hibs v Hearts cup tie a few weeks ago, verbally encouraged the defeated Hearts players to go and acknowledge their fans

PS Personally, I feel sorry for the Lino who's being punished for being human

Time For Heroes
15-01-2013, 09:05 PM

Reaction please to the news the an Assistant Referee, at the Hibs v Hearts cup tie a few weeks ago, verbally encouraged the defeated Hearts players to go and acknowledge their

If all 300,000 that go to tiny spent £62 each they could start clearing a bit of debt, just a thought.....
To be honest if it was Hibs vs Hearts i still wouldnt see it as an issue...

lyonhibs
15-01-2013, 09:07 PM

Reaction please to the news the an Assistant Referee, at the Hibs v Hearts cup tie a few weeks ago, verbally encouraged the defeated Hearts players to go and acknowledge their fans

Hibs had won, therefore the Jamtards could have done a fully choregraphed Orcadian Strip the Willow in front of their fans and I wouldn't have cared two tom tits.

sbell1875
15-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Ive just seen a tweet with a link to a petition to reinstate this linesman, He's apparently been suspended from his next game for saying that. That surely has to be wrong, anyone heard anything?

Completely wrong. I can't believe the FA have taken this decision.

CropleyWasGod
15-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Completely wrong. I can't believe the FA have taken this decision.

It's not the FA, it's the "Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the body that assigns referees and assistants to games". As I understand it, it's the referees' own body.

snooky
15-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Words fail me.
The world's morals are @rse for t*t.

FifeHibernian
15-01-2013, 10:07 PM
The BBC are reporting that he's only been taken away from the next game because that was his first as a referee and the referees association are worried about the media attention he's recieved. I don't think it's anything too sinister.

Danderhall Hibs
16-01-2013, 10:38 PM
It was nothing to do with him though was it so why say anything? Did he recommend the same to any Arsenal players, their fans were paying the same or more.