PDA

View Full Version : NHC Peter Houston off down South

1875er
14-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Seems a good move for him...

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/dundee-united/209664-blackpool-granted-permission-to-speak-to-dundee-united-boss-peter-houston/

Would fancy McInnes to get the Utd job.... hope Harry Potter doesn't get it.....

#FromTheCapital
14-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Bit of a step up for him considering Blackpool were in the premiership last season.
He's done a decent Job at utd overall but this season they have been murder especially as they were considered by many to be favourites for 2nd place at the start of the season.

SMAXXA
14-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Seems a good move for him...

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/dundee-united/209664-blackpool-granted-permission-to-speak-to-dundee-united-boss-peter-houston/

Would fancy McInnes to get the Utd job.... hope Harry Potter doesn't get it.....

I will give him 6 months tops. I hope not as like I said about McIness I hope all scottish managers go down there and do well, Im just not convinced PH will make it down there. UTD have been terrible this year, he inherited a good squad with good players, mind saying that he has brought in a few good players aswell. With their squad I cant help but think they are underachieving this year.

If he goes good luck to him, agree McInnes or Potter in at UTD then.

bingo70
14-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Was potter not going to stay on the sfa payroll until he got another job? Doubt he'd take this if that was the case

MB62
14-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Bit of a step up for him considering Blackpool were in the premiership last season.
He's done a decent Job at utd overall but this season they have been murder especially as they were considered by many to be favourites for 2nd place at the start of the season.

They were certainly my favourites for 2nd spot, especially after they turned us over so easily in the first game of the season.

Don't see this as a good move from a Blackpool point of view.

brydekirk
14-01-2013, 10:20 AM
He might get specky a job anaw

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Hope he takes his pet rat with him..:rolleyes:

:wink:

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Hahaha my mates will be so happy.

Hibtastic
14-01-2013, 10:58 AM
I dont think he is a good manager at all!

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-01-2013, 11:01 AM

He's a yam fud of course, seems to be a plethora of them as managers these days.

scoopyboy
14-01-2013, 11:04 AM
I will give him 6 months tops. I hope not as like I said about McIness I hope all scottish managers go down there and do well, Im just not convinced PH will make it down there. UTD have been terrible this year, he inherited a good squad with good players, mind saying that he has brought in a few good players aswell. With their squad I cant help but think they are underachieving this year.

If he goes good luck to him, agree McInnes or Potter in at UTD then.

My thoughts exactly.

Would save Utd a few quid. Means they will get compo as opposed to having to get shot of him.

poor manager IMO and a tosspot to boot.

DaveF
14-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I'd fancy Blackpool to hit League 1 pretty sharpish with him in charge.

bingo70
14-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Funny how when levein was at Dundee utd everyone was raving about him doing such a good job yet he never finished in the top six, Houston replaces him and gets them in the top 3 or 4 every year (I think) yet nobody rates Houston?

I've no idea if he'll do well down south but I think he's done a good job at utd.

allezsauzee
14-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Houston might not fancy it. Blackpool can't be that great a gig seeing as they have lost 2 managers already this season. As much as he is a yam fud, I think he's done very well at United given that they've been downsizing their wage bill

IWasThere2016
14-01-2013, 11:34 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Would save Utd a few quid. Means they will get compo as opposed to having to get shot of him.

poor manager IMO and a tosspot to boot.

Compo which could be put to use to remove his assistants???

Biggie
14-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Going before he gets sacked...f off and take 51 with you

Hiber-nation
14-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Funny how when levein was at Dundee utd everyone was raving about him doing such a good job yet he never finished in the top six, Houston replaces him and gets them in the top 3 or 4 every year (I think) yet nobody rates Houston?

I've no idea if he'll do well down south but I think he's done a good job at utd.

That canny be right can it? They must have been top 6 at least one season under Levein?

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-01-2013, 11:50 AM
If Blackpool have money from losing two managers recently, they can do better than this. Wonder what the odds would be on Derek McInness stepping in at Tannadump as a freebie replacement? Couldn't see Potter going back as no doubt he is waiting on the immenent firing of Fester.

bingo70
14-01-2013, 11:50 AM
That canny be right can it? They must have been top 6 at least one season under Levein?

Nah, pretty sure they never finished top six under him.

They probably were in the top 6 at the point of him leaving but pretty certain they never finished a campaign in the top 6 when he was manager.

HibeeSince85
14-01-2013, 11:57 AM

They probably were in the top 6 at the point of him leaving but pretty certain they never finished a campaign in the top 6 when he was manager.

Potter was manager there from 2006-2009

In season 07/08 they finished 5th.

That took me two minutes to find out, c'mon man...

littleplum
14-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Utd finished 5th in each of Levein's full seasons in charge. It's easy to forget this after his disastrous spell in charge of Scotland.

However, they have finished 3rd, 4th and 4th under Houston which I guess backs up your main point.

SMAXXA
14-01-2013, 11:59 AM

:greengrin

Its much easier to post without checking out the facts first, cmon we all do it :greengrin

Mr White
14-01-2013, 12:02 PM
They were also on their way to third and the cup with the squad levein built when he left mid-season.

--------
14-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Hahaha my mates will be so happy.

Are they serious? This must be a joke - Victor Meldrew to manage Blackpool?

Sure it's not a job on the pier as a clown?

Well, I suppose he's pretty certain to take them to an entirely new level of competition .... :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
14-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I posted on Saturday night that the availability of McInnes may see United take action - if they end up with a small amount of compensation due to Blackpool wanting him, they'll be laughing IMO.

I do rate him as a manager, his achievements are there for all to see - however, I don't think that it's any coincidence that they've struggled as time has gone on - most of Levein's squad are gone, and the team is nearly all Houston's now.

Hibee Ryan
14-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Houston is a decent manager. But that's all, decent. He's not done anything special considering the squad that Potter left him with... So for Blackpool to take him is very surprising especially when they've gotten a lot of compensation for their last 2 managers so could easily afford to get a much bigger name. If I was the Blackpool chairman I'd be having a look at managers with Championship experience that would excite Blackpool fans a lot more Billy Davies, Roy Keane or Gordon Strachan would surely be better options. I wouldn't even say Houston is the best option out of the SPL, McCall, Butcher, Lomas and Fenlon are doing better jobs than Houston.

All in my humble opinion of course :greengrin

bingo70
14-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Ha....I've been using that incorrect stat to batter levein with throught his Scotland career as well, nobody corrected me so I assumed it was right!

Think I probably got mixed up with him not qualifying for Europe and not finishing top six!
Oh well, **** him, he's a hearts ******* anyway

LancsHibs
14-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Blackpool is not a gig many managers would want, Appleton decided to jump ship to the madhouse that is Blackburn Rovers after only 2 months in charge and Sean O'Discoll was offered the job over the weekend but has chosen to take over at bottom of the league and relegation certs Bristol City over Blackpool. There are reasons for this!!
I'm off to put a few quid on Blackpool going down whilst the odds are still decent!

Skanko79
14-01-2013, 01:23 PM
obviously something behind the scenes at bloomfield putting these guys off.

o'drisscoll turning it down, the boy at bradford and appleton doing a runner after 7 weeks.

HibeeSince85
14-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Ha....I've been using that incorrect stat to batter levein with throught his Scotland career as well, nobody corrected me so I assumed it was right!

Think I probably got mixed up with him not qualifying for Europe and not finishing top six!
Oh well, **** him, he's a hearts ******* anyway

:agree: Never in question.

hibees 7062
14-01-2013, 01:45 PM

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Houston is a decent manager. But that's all, decent. He's not done anything special considering the squad that Potter left him with... So for Blackpool to take him is very surprising especially when they've gotten a lot of compensation for their last 2 managers so could easily afford to get a much bigger name. If I was the Blackpool chairman I'd be having a look at managers with Championship experience that would excite Blackpool fans a lot more Billy Davies, Roy Keane or Gordon Strachan would surely be better options. I wouldn't even say Houston is the best option out of the SPL, McCall, Butcher, Lomas and Fenlon are doing better jobs than Houston.

All in my humble opinion of course :greengrin

You dont know much about Blackpool FC and the Oystons do you? :greengrin

Scottie
14-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Is he going to take Harry Potter with him as assistant ? I ****ing hope so as that twat has damaged scottish fitba enough in recent years and it would get him off the SFA wage bill pronto.

Hopefully he'll take that :monkey1:faced bastweard no 51 wi him an all frae united i dont think i could stomach another goal against us from that fud.
:grr:
Houston will be found oot before the end o the season at Blackpool.

Sorry end of rant !

lord bunberry
14-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Is he going to take Harry Potter with him as assistant ? I ****ing hope so as that twat has damaged scottish fitba enough in recent years and it would get him off the SFA wage bill pronto.

Hopefully he'll take that :monkey1:faced bastweard no 51 wi him an all frae united i dont think i could stomach another goal against us from that fud.
:grr:
Houston will be found oot before the end o the season at Blackpool.

Sorry end of rant !

Did potter not resign from the sfa

Hibernia Na Eir
14-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Oh dear Blackpool !:na na:

Russell The Dug
14-01-2013, 06:59 PM
What the hell are Blackpool playing at? Shocking appointment from them if true. He's as big a fud as Levein.

PeterboroHibee
14-01-2013, 07:27 PM
I think Houston is a good coach, but overall as a manager I think hes average at best. He took over a side from Levein full of excellent players, and helped them reach their potential by winning a cup and finishing 3rd. As those players have started to leave the club they have become progressively worse however, and apart from the odd player (such as GMS), his signings have been dreadful and their squad is a right state. United have a small squad and a very tight budget, yet he has picked up players such as Mark Millar and Richie Ryan, both central midfielders, for an area they already had plenty of depth, and seemingly ignoring their lack of options in defence and up front.

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-01-2013, 09:50 AM
If Houston rejects the option of a big move down south will this be the start af a now revolution in Scottish football? Butcher rejecting and now Houston? seems a strange one as the money is better. Does this now make our league alot more appealing now that SevCo have *****'d off?

maybe Scottish football isnt dead after all, maybe????

thoughts?

Beefster
16-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Blackpool denying they made any request to speak to Houston and haven't actually spoken to Houston.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Blackpool denying they made any request to speak to Houston and haven't actually spoken to Houston.

The word on the streets down here is some bloke from MK Dons?

Stevie Reid
16-01-2013, 10:28 AM
The word on the streets down here is some bloke from MK Dons?

Karl Robinson, very highly regarded. Was Paul Ince's assistant but then got the job after PI left, KR was only 30 when he got it, 32 now. My Dad watched an MK Dons game on Sky late last year and said the football that they played was superb.

Jim44
16-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Houston is in a tricky position just now. He's only one of a few that Blackpool might want to talk to and back home, Stephen Thompson is making noises about a big wage cut if he signs a new contract.

bigwheel
16-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I don't get a sense that Houston is wanted by Dundee Utd - thy dont seem to have worked much to tie him to a new contract . With the likes of McInnes available , and their easy agreement for him to speak to Blackpool - these seems to be signs of their lack of urgency to keep him. Whilst he's not had a great start this year - I think he has done a good job there...anyway, wouldn't be surprised to see him leave at the end of the season - if not before ...

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Houston is in a tricky position just now. He's only one of a few that Blackpool might want to talk to and back home, Stephen Thompson is making noises about a big wage cut if he signs a new contract.

Its funny you should mention Stephen Thompson, as Steven Thompson the current temporary manager and fan favorite is the one the majority of supporters i know want to get the job.

Pretty Boy
16-01-2013, 10:46 AM
I don't get a sense that Houston is wanted by Dundee Utd - thy dont seem to have worked much to tie him to a new contract . With the likes of McInnes available , and their easy agreement for him to speak to Blackpool - these seems to be signs of their lack of urgency to keep him. Whilst he's not had a great start this year - I think he has done a good job there...anyway, wouldn't be surprised to see him leave at the end of the season - if not before ...

I'm sure a lot of the problem with him at United is financial.

I remember reading that he's on a ridiculous contract, almost double anyone else outwith Neil Lennon, that was given out in the wake of the Scottish Cup win. Think its already been made clear to him that any new contract won't get close to matching that and that's what the problem is.

jodjam
16-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Mk dons have refused permission to speak to Robinson

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm sure a lot of the problem with him at United is financial.

I remember reading that he's on a ridiculous contract, almost double anyone else outwith Neil Lennon, that was given out in the wake of the Scottish Cup win. Think its already been made clear to him that any new contract won't get close to matching that and that's what the problem is.

On the Blackpool fans forum, some arab has said Houston is on £4k a week? No idea if this is true, but it certainly does not seem right to me?

Hainan Hibs
16-01-2013, 11:13 AM
On the Blackpool fans forum, some arab has said Houston is on £4k a week? No idea if this is true, but it certainly does not seem right to me?

I've seen the figure of 200k a year being put about on other boards so it could be about right. If true I have no idea what the UTD board were on when drawing up the contract.

VickMackie
16-01-2013, 11:38 AM
It was in the press recently that he is in 250k a year at united. He wants the same terms and united want to give him a hundred or so.

It's in the express that Blackpool don't want him.

IWasThere2016
16-01-2013, 11:57 AM
It was in the press recently that he is in 250k a year at united. He wants the same terms and united want to give him a hundred or so.

It's in the express that Blackpool don't want him.

£175k at Arabs .. plus Scotland gig. He's negotiating with Thompson who want to reduce his pay to c.£100k

Golden Bear
16-01-2013, 12:06 PM
£175k at Arabs .. plus Scotland gig. He's negotiating with Thompson who want to reduce his pay to c.£100k

You've got to congratulate the man for his ability to negotiate a remuneration package like that. He is, after all, nothing more than a very average Manager!

jonty
16-01-2013, 12:11 PM
You've got to congratulate the man for his ability to negotiate a remuneration package like that. He is, after all, nothing more than a very average Manager!

With all the football managers here on hibs.net, this place must be worth a fortune! :greengrin

ancienthibby
16-01-2013, 05:56 PM
According to J Spence of the BBC, that well known Arab, an amicable parting of the ways will be announced tomorrow 1.30 p.m.

grunt
17-01-2013, 12:35 PM
According to J Spence of the BBC, that well known Arab, an amicable parting of the ways will be announced tomorrow 1.30 p.m.And so it was.
Off at the end of the season.

JimBHibees
17-01-2013, 01:18 PM
What is the purpose of United announcing this in January. Why not just do it at end of the season? Seems to me to be a fair chance of this being a massive distraction for the rest of the season.

The Sea-gull
17-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Almost seems like they want to sack him but can't afford to and he wants to resign but has nowehere else to go just now so can't afford to either. Won't be surprised to see him go before the end of the season.

If Utd think the right man is available now then they may ask him to move on. Might not be able to afford to pay off the rest of his contract though.

Any sign that a lack of motivation is affecting results will see him emptied. Think every place in the SPL is worth 80k and with the league so tight there will be a fine margin between being finishing top 6 and not come April not to mention the fine line that is likely to separate 2nd and 6th place after the split.

Are players not likely to be more motivated trying to earn a new contract with a manager who will be there next season rather than playing for someone who won't.

Don't blame Houston for wanting to leave if he has been offered 100k a year. He could probably get a job now in England for that or even a wee bit more and if all else fails would probably get a job at another SPL team at somepoint for around the same.

That said, look at how difficult the likes of Jimmy Calderwood, Craig Brewster and Gus McPherson have found it to get decent jobs so he might be better taking what is offered to him at United.